Options

help. line problems what can i do

Well our line is faulty. Broadband keeps disconnecting and is at really poor speeds. Line is very crackly and most of the time unable to hear people over it. I have tried connecting to the test socket and it is still the same i have ran loads of tests over the 151 and on the internet and they cant see any fault.

What can i do. Will i have to call them out what would be the charge?

Comments

• Options
    Adam DAdam D Posts: 5,124
    Forum Member
    i was talking to someone today and they said it could cost around £200 for someone to come out and fix it :eekL:
  • Options
    jon41jon41 Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have a corded phone that you know is perfectly fine, plug that into the test socket and then say just press 0 so the dialtone goes off and then see how loud the crackling is. Then call 151 and speak to an adviser and say what the problem is and ask if they can hear the problem as well, usualy they can.

I had the same problem and it was found to be water getting into the wire, BT were able to tell this from a test at their end, I think it was called an "earth fault". They fixed it free of charge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jon41 wrote:
    If you have a corded phone that you know is perfectly fine, plug that into the test socket and then say just press 0 so the dialtone goes off and then see how loud the crackling is. Then call 151 and speak to an adviser and say what the problem is and ask if they can hear the problem as well, usualy they can.

I had the same problem and it was found to be water getting into the wire, BT were able to tell this from a test at their end, I think it was called an "earth fault". They fixed it free of charge.
    thanks. I have tried this. It is loud and unable to hear the other person at times. It can quite down near the begining of the call but just gets worse. The bt people can hear it but they tested the line and said there is no fault
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I had the same problem years ago. I ended up getting a new line put in.

They said there was no fault on the line. The fault was at the exchange.
  • Options
    jon41jon41 Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adtech wrote:
    thanks. I have tried this. It is loud and unable to hear the other person at times. It can quite down near the begining of the call but just gets worse. The bt people can hear it but they tested the line and said there is no fault

I would report the fault again, make it clear about the noise and also that you can no longer connect to the internet. They should send someone out & in my case it was free of charge as it was down to their own network, the wire from the poll to the house and it only took the guy 30 mins to replace. Also report it to your broadband supplier, just say you can't connect & don't mention any voice faults as they often fob you off and say you need to speak with BT. either way you should have it fixed for free.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks, I rang up again and they are comming out free tommorow. Because they have tested it and we have with the test socket with three phones . If they have to do something like put a new line in.. what do they do? does it take a while or anything.. such as bb will it be fine when the new line is put in?
  • Options
    HeinzHeinz Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member
    Anyone else in a similar situation, plug a known good corded phone into the test socket (behind the lower half of the master socket) and dial 17070.

Use the 'quiet line test' (I think it's option 2).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    The problem is noise faults are often caused by a bad connection in the local network. When BT do a automated test the fact of putting the tester on the line is enough to clear the bad connection. ie blows it off. What they normally do is renew the drop wire, and renew all the crips on your line.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    well he came in used one of the phones they have and then went up the pole. Came back down and it was fine. Broadband connected a 4mb(still slower that it was before but im not complaining) The phone line is quiet and all back up and running.