Options

How soon after my driving test can I drive on my own?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    Untrue.

The policy covers the policyholder/named driver, whatever their status, provisional or qualified.

Untrue.

the policy will be for a provisional driver, my friend forgot to tell his insurance company and then wasn't covered after he passed his test, an expensive and stupid mistake.

Make sure your insurance is valid before driving anywhere.
  • Options
    lemonbunlemonbun Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    I know you have to be driven home by your instructor, but how soon after that. Is it a couple of hours or what?

You don't have to be driven home by your instructor, it's just that most instructors don't want you to have your first accident on the way home :D .
  • Options
    peter3hgpeter3hg Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Em* wrote: »
    I don't think so. What makes you say this?

It said it in all the crap I got when I passed the test and the instructor told me as well. It may just be advisory but I have heard it previously. I don't have any of the stuff to check anymore.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    Untrue.

The policy covers the policyholder/named driver, whatever their status, provisional or qualified.

This is wrong, you do need to inform your insurance company, there is sometimes an additional premium to pay upon passing the test as a young driver unsupervised is more of a risk. The insurance will not be valid unless the policy details are updated.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's probably to allow your nerves to settle perhaps?
  • Options
    BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peter3hg wrote: »
    It said it in all the crap I got when I passed the test and the instructor told me as well. It may just be advisory but I have heard it previously. I don't have any of the stuff to check anymore.

A driving test is a stressful experience and I actually think a two hour wait is a good idea, but had no idea it was 'official'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,486
    Forum Member
    *Em* wrote: »
    You will need to re-insure once you pass though, i'm sure.

The policy you'll have will be for a provisional licence, not full. :)

Cool, I will call direct line straight away after I pass then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,486
    Forum Member
    Untrue.

That;s cool then. i am the policy holder and will of course let them know I have passed (being optimistic now)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,683
    Forum Member
    Sakina wrote: »
    This is wrong, you do need to inform your insurance company, there is sometimes an additional premium to pay upon passing the test as a young driver unsupervised is more of a risk. The insurance will not be valid unless the policy details are updated.
    This is what I thought, thanks for confirming it! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemonbun wrote: »
    You don't have to be driven home by your instructor, it's just that most instructors don't want you to have your first accident on the way home :D .

When I passed all those years ago, I asked my instructor if I could drive the car home. He told me that I was no longer a "learner", I would be driving the car outside the terms of his insurance. His policy only covered provisional licence holders.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BMR wrote: »
    A driving test is a stressful experience and I actually think a two hour wait is a good idea, but had no idea it was 'official'.

It isn't official.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Superlez wrote: »
    He told me that I was no longer a "learner", I would be driving the car outside the terms of his insurance. His policy only covered provisional licence holders.

That's nonsense.

Instructors give motorway lessons to quallified drivers, and refesher lessons to foreign nationals who have to take a test within one year of settling in the UK?

Also, when my father found out he would need an automatic because of a left leg problem, he booked an hour in an automatic with a driving school, to get the feel of it.

They knew he had a full licence, but didn't refuse to take him because he wasn't a provisional driver.
  • Options
    lemonbunlemonbun Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    When I passed all those years ago, I asked my instructor if I could drive the car home. He told me that I was no longer a "learner", I would be driving the car outside the terms of his insurance. His policy only covered provisional licence holders.

So how have I taken driving lessons with a full licence? I've never come across a driving instructor that was just insured for provisional licences. Most do additonal lessons for those who have passed - motorway driving, etc.

The most likely reason is that he didn't want you to drive because a lot of people who have just passed their test are rather excitable and/or knackered from the test.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    Slightly off topic, but has anyone else passed their test and then not felt confident enough to go out on their own?

I passed about two months ago and I'm ok driving to places I've driven hundreds of times with my parents; dropping my brother off at training sessions and stuff, but I've not got the nerve to go anywhere further afield on my own. I'm just worried that I'll get to somewhere where the road signs are unclear and just panic. I'm also really nervous about parking, as I find it really hard to tell how much space I have, and I always worry I'll scrape another car. :(

The think is that I waited over a year before I took my test, had loads of practice with my mum and dad but I still don't feel I can go out on my own. Please tell me I'm not the only one like this; everyone else seems really confident as soon as they pass their test.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CheekyPea wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but has anyone else passed their test and then not felt confident enough to go out on their own?

Not me.

I was on the motorway to Haslingdon, within an hour of passing the test.
    I'm just worried that I'll get to somewhere where the road signs are unclear and just panic. I'm also really nervous about parking, as I find it really hard to tell how much space I have, and I always worry I'll scrape another car. :(

I think you are a candidate for some more lessons.

No offence, but if you are as lacking in confidence as you suggest, you are a potential nuisance to yourself and others.

Get some more lessons before you damage another vehicle and your insurance record.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's nonsense.

Instructors give motorway lessons to quallified drivers, and refesher lessons to foreign nationals who have to take a test within one year of settling in the UK?

Also, when my father found out he would need an automatic because of a left leg problem, he booked an hour in an automatic with a driving school, to get the feel of it.

They knew he had a full licence, but didn't refuse to take him because he wasn't a provisional driver.

This is what my instructor told me. Remember, I passed my test long before the "Pass Plus" and the like came in.

I honestly thought that he was telling me the truth, but he may well have been winding me up for all I know....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember, I passed my test long before the "Pass Plus" and the like came in.

Instructors have been giving motorway lessons (and refresher lessons to foreign drivers) for donkey's years.

They were certainly giving them in 1981, when I passed the test, because my last but one instructor was suggesting I take some with him, after I passed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    Not me.

I was on the motorway to Haslingdon, within an hour of passing the test.

I think you are a candidate for some more lessons.

No offence, but if you are as lacking in confidence as you suggest, you are a potential nuisance to yourself and others.

Get some more lessons before you damage another vehicle and your insurance record.

The thing is if someone else is in the car (like my parents) than I'm fine. I spent ages learning before I took my test, passed my test first time and only got one minor.

So what would more lessons teach me? :confused: It's just the fact that when I'm on my own I'm too scared even to try driving to places that I don't know very well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what would more lessons teach me? :confused:

How to park with confidence perhaps?

Unskilled parkers are one of the biggest nuisances on the road.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I passed about two months ago and I'm ok driving to places I've driven hundreds of times with my parents; dropping my brother off at training sessions and stuff, but I've not got the nerve to go anywhere further afield on my own. I'm just worried that I'll get to somewhere where the road signs are unclear and just panic. I'm also really nervous about parking, as I find it really hard to tell how much space I have, and I always worry I'll scrape another car. :(

The think is that I waited over a year before I took my test, had loads of practice with my mum and dad but I still don't feel I can go out on my own. Please tell me I'm not the only one like this; everyone else seems really confident as soon as they pass their test.

I myself was a bit like you initially. My biggest phobias were driving on narrow streets and like yourself parking in tight spots.

The best way to practice reverse parking is to start by going into a space where there is ample room for your car. This way, you will be able to concentrate on how to steer the front of the car into a space safely. Once you are more confident about this, you can then use some object to mark the spot where the "other car" is. Do this a few times a day, making the space ever smaller as time goes by, and you will find that you will be far more comfortable with your parking.

Have you considered "Pass Plus"? As I've said, I passed my test long before this came in, but you sound as though you would probably benefit from a programme such as this. Contact your driving school for details.

Above all, don't panic - even the most experienced drivers were learners once upon a time and today's good drivers had to "really learn to drive" in the big bad world after they passed their tests also!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Instructors have been giving motorway lessons (and refresher lessons to foreign drivers) for donkey's years.

They were certainly giving them in 1981, when I passed the test, because my last but one instructor was suggesting I take some with him, after I passed.

This was never offered to me - perhaps the fact that I live the guts of 100 miles from the nearest motorway to me might have been the reason for this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was never offered to me - perhaps the fact that I live the guts of 100 miles from the nearest motorway to me might have been the reason for this.

Offered or not, they were available.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I felt like you when I first passed my test last year. It is just a confidence issue and can be beaten.

My main fear was getting lost as my sense of direction can be a bit awful at times and some junctions like big roundabouts can be a nightmare to negotiate even for the most experience of drivers.

My hubby bought me sat nav for my birthday this month to try and assist with my fear of getting lost (which I have done on numerous occassions). I've had the opporunity to use it once when I needed to pick my sister up from the airport recently and it was really good. Though it isn't cheap to purchase.

I have the opposite problem to you where I prefer to be in the car on my own rather than have a passenger. Everyone I know has driven for years and I keep thinking they are going to critique my driving skills as my instructor did so I do my best to avoid having passengers.

Instructors teach you to pass the test. The real learning to drive comes after so you just need to get out and about as much as possible on your own as you build up you confidence.

I'm due to have two weeks holiday next month and I plan to spend that picking a city I haven't been to before and going for a day drive (with my sat nav) to that city to help boost my confidence. It's all about continued practice and driving as much as you can.

Another FM said take more lessons etc. but that isn't what you need in my opinion. In your case you need to plan a longer journey to somewhere you've never been before and go there on your own. Doing this a few times will boost your confidence a great deal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have my own car and it's insured, yes. 1.3 fiesta at 39 quid a month, not bad for someone who hasn't passed yet. ;)

I have been learning for just under 3 months. :) So chuffed that I caught on so quickly.

Just wanted to say good luck with your test. :)
  • Options
    alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I took the test in my own car and drove myself home afterwards because my instructor had a dental appointment ... dunno what he'd have done if I'd failed!

Mind you, that was back in the dark ages ...