Options

Wii kicks butt

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had my Wii for about a month and still love it, just got Zelda yesterday (i was meant to get it in the console + 2 games for £250 deal but it was out of stock for a month) and after a 9 hours session yesterday i can't move.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing about the Wii is that when I do actions that are usually done by pressing buttons, I'm never sure if I've actually done the movement properly and registered the action... sometimes it feels as if someone else is controlling the game.
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing about the Wii is that when I do actions that are usually done by pressing buttons, I'm never sure if I've actually done the movement properly and registered the action... sometimes it feels as if someone else is controlling the game.

In what game do you feel this ??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mudslide wrote: »
    In what game do you feel this ??

Harry Potter & The Order of the Pheonix, the flying bit in particular. I think thats because it was made by a 3rd party who also made the game for all other platforms therefore they're not going to spend that long perfecting the movements.

I'm wondering how using the Wii remote is for driving games, is it hard?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never played a driving game. I know that the controls in RE4 are pretty perfected and MSC is pretty well set up too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    The Wii is easily the most fun out of them all, especially if you have it online for the VC games.

Resident Evil 4 is just the start of the AA titles. We have Metroid, Super Smash Brothers, Paper Mario, Big Brain Academy, Traumer Centre, My Sims, Mario Galaxy. Not including the VC games.

I wouldn't just write off the Wii as a novelty just yet.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got my hands on a Wii the other day, got it cheap off a friend...

Wii sports is a lot of fun, can't deny that, but the biggest drawback for me, is the real LACK of good games that are out to buy, this has to improve and i hope to god it does...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not2Good wrote: »
    I got my hands on a Wii the other day, got it cheap off a friend...

Wii sports is a lot of fun, can't deny that, but the biggest drawback for me, is the real LACK of good games that are out to buy, this has to improve and i hope to god it does...

Twilight princess, Mario strikers charged, Resident Evil 4 for starters.

Loads coming soon !!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Twilight princess, Mario strikers charged, Resident Evil 4 for starters.

Loads coming soon !!

Played through resi 4 on the cube, zelda yeah i will pick that up... mario strikers got some real bad reviews...i'm leaving that one be...

Like i said, there's a real lack of games available, a handfull at best, not too sure what all the fuss is about for people wanting these consoles so desperately, in a year i'm sure it will be a lot better, but now, hold onto your money if you are wanting one, i can see mine collecting a bit of dust for a little while...
  • Options
    the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Played through resi 4 on the cube,
    You enjoy it on a whole new level on the Wii, I finished on the cube, my bro finished it on the PS2, we are both addicted to the Wii version.
  • Options
    mattyl149mattyl149 Posts: 2,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The internet is very useful to have on the Wii, although a keyboard would be helpful. Also, if you want to send a Mii, you have to add the other person, who I believe has to add you as well

I'm still playing Wii Sports, trying to get that elusive 300 on bowling, my best is 276. A proper tennis game such as Virtua Tennis would be good. Although, a tennis game where you could play five full sets would be better

There seems to be a lack of new channels on there at the moment but the new Mii channel coming soon sounds interesting, plus there have been rumours of other channels as well

The only drawback with the Wii, is the amount of batteries I have used
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just want good games, don't care for the net, i have a PC... just more good games and they are few and far between when you compare it to the consoles rivals...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just want good games, don't care for the net, i have a PC... just more good games and they are few and far between when you compare it to the consoles rivals...
    The PS3 is hardly ahead of the Wii on the great games front, still prefer the Wii to my 360 too, which though can have good games is same old same old but with better graphics.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the chimp wrote: »
    The PS3 is hardly ahead of the Wii on the great games front, still prefer the Wii to my 360 too, which though can have good games is same old same old but with better graphics.

Sorry but i want to love it, i do... but it just isn't as good as i thought it would be...my 360 will get more play than my Wii..why? because i have 18 games for it, my Wii? where are all the good titles??

You maybe in denial, i paid £150 for my Wii and don't care whether it lives or dies, much like my dusty old gamecube, the fact is there that there are not enough games out for it...thats the bottom line. The gamecube suffered the same problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry but i want to love it, i do... but it just isn't as good as i thought it would be...my 360 will get more play than my Wii..why? because i have 18 games for it, my Wii? where are all the good titles??

You maybe in denial, i paid £150 for my Wii and don't care whether it lives or dies, much like my dusty old gamecube, the fact is there that there are not enough games out for it...
    18 good titles on the 360 ? I dont think its me in denial :D

There is nothing on the 360 as good as Res Evil Wii edition even if it is just an adapted GC game, same with Zelda and I include gears of war in that, it may hav had fantastic graphics but at the end of it all the game play didnt blow me away.

My 360 is sat there just waiting for Halo 3.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the chimp wrote: »
    18 good titles on the 360 ? I dont think its me in denial :D

There is nothing on the 360 as good as Res Evil Wii edition even if it is just an adapted GC game, same with Zelda and I include gears of war in that, it may hav had fantastic graphics but at the end of it all the game play didnt blow me away.

My 360 is sat there just waiting for Halo 3.

Want me to list them?

Viva pinata, call of duty2 + 3, gears of war, rainbow six, ghost recon both of them, virtua tennis 3, brian lara, forza 2, guitar hero 2, dead rising, project gotham 3, fight night round 3, oblivion, lost planet, tony hawks project 8, kameo, farcry, snooker 2007....and thats not including xbox live arcade games...

think thats 19, and 85% of them were given fantastic scores by ALL reviewers...and i have played and enjoyed every single one i have bought and also the fact that most of them can be played online...awesome.

I have played resident evil 4, great game, no denying, but still doesn't change the fact that there aren't enough games out for the Wii, why are you getting into a console war argument with me, i own both consoles, Wii is short on good games....deny it all you like, but its a fact and i hope one that changes soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Viva pinata , call of duty2 + 3, gears of war, rainbow six, ghost recon both of them, virtua tennis 3, brian lara, forza 2, guitar hero 2, dead rising, project gotham 3, fight night round 3, oblivion, lost planet, tony hawks project 8, kameo, farcry, snooker 2007....and thats not including xbox live arcade games...
    Viva pinata .. Boring (Got it)
    call of duty2 + 3 ..... Best games on 360 imo, very enjoyable.
    gears of war... Great graphics, game got a bit tedious in parts.
    rainbow six... had it couldnt get into it
    ghost recon both of them...... as above
    brian lara... limited appeal
    forza 2... same old but better graphics
    guitar hero 2.. no interest
    dead rising.. biggest disapointment by far on the system,the unbelievably tedious save system has made the game so bad that I just cant face putting it in and doing the same things all over again.
    project gotham 3.. got it with system, just another racing game with better graphics.
    fight night round 3... only goot to play in two player after a short period.
    oblivion... played it for ages first week i got it.... never played it since.
    tony hawks project 8... same as any T.H. game but with improved graphics.
    kameo... average to good 3d platform
    farcry.... yawn
    snooker 2007... Snooker on a console just doesnt do it for me.

Maybe I am just disolusioned but all the 360 and PS3 stuff out to me just looks like the same things we have seen constantly before but with better graphics, no real improvements seem to have been made elsewhere.

Cant wait for Halo 3 but would have bought that whether it was on xbox or x360.
  • Options
    KamiKami Posts: 1,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really depends on what you're after in a console. I sold my Xbox 360 and bought a Wii, partly because I feel it's a more "social" console and one that my fiancee will play as well (she adores bowling and golf on it).

I miss NHL07 and Battlefield2 on the Xbox but it was starting to collect dust. I didn't feel that I could play it when people were round as the local multiplayer games on the 360 simply aren't as much fun as I'd have liked. Playing Wii sports with friends over is great fun.

If you play solo then 360 is definately for you, it's got a far, far better software catalogue but if you actually want to play with friends (offline!) then I think the Wii nudges it for now. I just wish they'd get more games out that were worth buying!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    I find the Wii appeals more to "casual" gamers who want to just pick up and play and not spend many hours a week on their console.

The PS3 and 360 appeal more to people who spend far too much time playing games. I don't knock it, I used to spend long hours on my array of consoles when I was younger, particulary the Mega Drive. Now tho I just don't get the time and find I have a lot more fun playing the Wii in my limited game time then I would on the PS3 or 360

What he said.

As a teenager and then a student I would spend hours and hours a day playing games. When were a bit strapped for cash the five of us in our house at uni would regularly place Super Mario Kart all weekend.

Now I have a wife two kids a job and a mortgage to pay I don't have the time to play anywhere near as much so the Wii is great for me, plus some aspects of the of the Play and Sports games are quite easy so my four year old has a go too.

Plus I could justify spending £180 on a console far more than I could spending £400. Apparantly it's consider quite important that the kids have clothes and food!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The wii is fine for me. I don't need loads of games, I just need a handful of games, and they're now beginning to appear. I've got access to gamecube games and the rest of the virtual console so I'm more than sorted.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wii is going to be bang on for me. I don't much care for first person shooters, or realistic racing games. I don't care too much for the Xbox 360's line-up, or the PS3's though I do expect them to improve over time. I do appreciate they appeal to many, but I personally just don't get the buzz from the types of games they focus on. They really need some variety in there. I don't much care for the immense focus on online communities either. It's just not for me.

People say the Wii is only for casual gamers, but while I hate the title "hardcore" gamer, I wouldn't class myself as the kind of person who can take or leave gaming. I love gaming and have been playing for over 25 years. I'm old enough to know better, frankly, but it's still the Nintendo titles that really excite me. I think they are genuinely offering something fresh, that's not just for your Gran. I think, like the DS before it, that pretty soon you'll start to see some really innovative uses of the hardware. It took a year for the DS to look any good.

The Wii ain't perfect, but it fits the bill for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    The Wii ain't perfect, but it fits the bill for me.

I grew up with a ZX81 and Spectrum over 20 years ago and while I am a gadget nut I have never been into gaming. The Wii is the first console I have owned (at the tender age of 37) and I have to say....

I LOVE IT!

It's great for my short attention span and lack of time. It's great when you've got friends and children visiting and it's a lot more engaging that the other consoles. With other innovations and games coming on stream, it is perfect for those not wanting to spend hours in front of the screen.

I'm sure this has all been said before, and I don't want to add to a pointless "this console vs. that console" argument. Just wanted to say I think it's great value for money. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And now that I can rent titles via LoveFilm it becomes even better value.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moisie wrote: »
    And now that I can rent titles via LoveFilm it becomes even better value.

How much do they charge for rental ???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How much do they charge for rental ???

£4.99 1 disc at a time - 2 per month
    £7.99 2 discs at a time - 4 per month
    £9.99 1 disc at a time - unlimited per month
    £12.99 2 discs at a time - unlimited per month
    £15.99 3 discs at a time - unlimited per month

You can also get a month's free trial I think.

I pay £14.99 per month since I signed up before they changed their packages plus I save for paying in advance, as long as I keep paying I get the better deal.