Options

The death of Frank Butcher

Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,403
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I hope EastEnders choose to feature this, he was such a big part of the show and still has strong links with the square through ex-wives Pat & Peggy.

A big funeral would do nicely to honour one of their greatest stars. I'm sure Sid Owen, Charlie Brooks & Sophie Lawrence wouldn't object to a brief return to pay their respects to their screen-father.

We could see Claire again, meet Frank's other son Dan, and Jacques & Liam could also come back with new heads.

Frank wasn't really a family man, he was an awful father for upping and leaving when it suited, but ultimately he was very loved and reuniting the Butcher family would be a nice touch I think.

Comments

• Options
    when0in0romewhen0in0rome Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    i dunno about a big funeral but i think pat should find out and it should feature
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets be honest if they had a funeral nobody would feature, Eastenders would probabley make an exscuse. Something on the lines of Janine is stcuk on a train and could not make it and Ricky has had a dodgey stomach for a few days.
  • Options
    Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sean_brom wrote: »
    Lets be honest if they had a funeral nobody would feature, Eastenders would probabley make an exscuse. Something on the lines of Janine is stcuk on a train and could not make it and Ricky has had a dodgey stomach for a few days.
    I don't think they could explain away Ricky not being there. He wouldn't miss it for the world.

Janine might, but then she's a heartless cow.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's not that many in Eastenders who knew Frank!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Janine would care as long as she got some amount of money.

Or maybe it would affect her more than she lets on?

I don't know. I love Janine.

But R.I.P Mike. :( I was so upset when I found out..
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sean_brom wrote: »

I doubt very much that Sid or Charlie would decline to come back for a stint to pay respects, especially as they can schedule this to suit both of them. I have all faith that EE will do the right thing... and have a reunion with flash backs. Hah, that is an excellent Idea in fact. Come on EE, you know you can do it :)
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Somehow I can't see Janine or Ricky coming back anytime soon - bad continuity but it never happens!

But then again, I can't see this going by without EE marking the passing of Frank/Mike somehow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sloopy wrote: »
    Somehow I can't see Janine or Ricky coming back anytime soon -bad continuity but it never happens!

I think they if this came about would come and do the storyline, pat will have an empty house.
  • Options
    Keewee6Keewee6 Posts: 1,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah whose left pat, phil, peggy, dot, jim, maybe patrick yolande ,i think jane met him, ian of course who else
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    I was thinking the same thing; i think EE should write it into the script that Frank has died after all Pat was still in touch with him!
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose Sid Owen might come back for this. He seems to have a lot of time on his hands these days!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Janine was locked up??
  • Options
    CANDYANGELCANDYANGEL Posts: 21,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why have they got to kill off the character? he was never gonna come back anyway after 2005 and he hasn't been mentioned since.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no she got off....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CANDYANGEL wrote: »
    Why have they got to kill off the character? he was never gonna come back anyway after 2005 and he hasn't been mentioned since.

they cant really have a dead man still part of the (away cast) thats weird
  • Options
    Innocent GirlInnocent Girl Posts: 868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Charlie, Sid and Sophie would all return for an on screen funeral. Its just a shame Mike never got to film scenes of Frank on his death bed with Peggy and Pat fighting over him.

Tragic loss. :(
  • Options
    when0in0romewhen0in0rome Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member

just to show a bit of respect i suppose... i mean i know where your comin from, he hasnt been in it for ages but hes such an EE legend it just seems fitting
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 9,688
    Forum Member
    They need to give him a proper send off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well even if the do kill the character off, I doubt it will happen so soon after the actor's death. It will be either next year or sometime after.

Would Peggy turn up to his funeral? Afterall he faked his death last time!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Pat mentions him... besides it is good practice to pay tribute to someone who was immensely popular on the show!
  • Options
    bumpandgrindbumpandgrind Posts: 12,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe if he died off screen they could discover he has left Pat and Peggy a load of cash in his will?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Maybe one of his motors could turn up in the Square with a lone bow-tie on the dash, Peg opens the driver door and his laugh bellows out and Frank says "just nipping over to the car lot Peggy, the great car lot in the sky...."

Or, not.
  • Options
    RyAn_?RyAn_? Posts: 6,283
    Forum Member
    Well obviously it would not be appropriate to "kill" frank off-screen.

I think, yes to close the door on that character they will do so, but maybe in a year or so. There is no rush to do so as he wasnt coming back or anything, so its always a future storyline possibility.

I would love to see the past characters return for his funeral and then a gathering in the Vic with Peggy and Pat leading the memorials!

Ahh good old memories....
  • Options
    AndyToxAndyTox Posts: 852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it would be a great way to show respect for Mike Reid. Would definitely like Sid and Charlie to come back for the showing; not interested about a son we never saw. Sid could leave afterwards and then Charlie could stay!

There's me dreaming, though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe if he died off screen they could discover he has left Pat and Peggy a load of cash in his will?

I agree, although I think he should leave it all to PAt. She is great and she deserves it.