Options

Does anyone know about the legal age of any type of work?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 193
Forum Member
Ok, so im 14..and i know i can get a paperround, but that isn't really an option where i live. But i would like to earn a bit of money. People in my year have 'jobs' -i have heard them vaguely talk about them..does anyone know WHAT i wold be alowwed to do or for how LONG or how much i would get paid. Thanks.
Also there is a Cattery and Kennels next to where i live..do you think i could get anything there, or is it pointless even asking.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/FamilyIssuesAndTheLaw/ChildrensRights/DG_4002945

This may explain.
    Of course you can ask the kennel/cattery. The worst think they can do is say no.
  • Options
    skipjack79skipjack79 Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    beccaxx wrote: »
    Ok, so im 14..and i know i can get a paperround, but that isn't really an option where i live. But i would like to earn a bit of money. People in my year have 'jobs' -i have heard them vaguely talk about them..does anyone know WHAT i wold be alowwed to do or for how LONG or how much i would get paid. Thanks.
    Also there is a Cattery and Kennels next to where i live..do you think i could get anything there, or is it pointless even asking.

Depends if you get paid cash in hand or not - I remember working before I was 16, but looking back on it, I realise now it was all a bit dodgy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    elke21 wrote: »
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/FamilyIssuesAndTheLaw/ChildrensRights/DG_4002945

This may explain.
    Of course you can ask the kennel/cattery. The worst think they can do is say no.

oohh..thanks, yeh i suppose, i'm quite a shy person when it comes to asking people i don't know. Thanks for that website!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    skipjack79 wrote: »
    Depends if you get paid cash in hand or not - I remember working before I was 16, but looking back on it, I realise now it was all a bit dodgy.

mm..yeh. Well i wouldn't be earning that much so i suppose it would be cash? I don't know :confused::confused:
  • Options
    skipjack79skipjack79 Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mm..yeh. Well i wouldn't be earning that much so i suppose it would be cash? I don't know :confused::confused:

The reason they paid me cash, was to avoid tax, and i didn't claim tax (infact I worked somewhere like that when I was 24 briefly) - they just gave me wages at the end of the week out of the till - I think you legally need to be 16, tax and national insurance contributions and all that, but I'd ask around at the place, and see what they say. It depends on the employer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At a guess you would get £3.40 or below, as minimum wages cover people 16 upwards.
    Don't worry about tax, you will not earn enough to pay it. Some employers will not employ until you have a National Insurance number, which you will get just before your 16th birthday.
  • Options
    5th Horseman5th Horseman Posts: 10,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Before I was 16 I had numerous jobs, 2 paper rounds, potato, berry and flower picking when in season and doing odd jobs for neighbours (washing cars & gardening) and for local farmers (bagging potatoes & shooting rabbits).

I guess a lot of those sort of jobs are not very viable in this age of immigrant labour, mechanisation, health & safety and compensation culture, pity I learned a lot earning a bit of money for myself.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oohh..thanks, yeh i suppose, i'm quite a shy person when it comes to asking people i don't know. Thanks for that website!

Write them a letter if you feel shy to ask them in person, I guess it comes over a little more professional that way too :)

Good luck!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wow thank you everyone. I should have really asked during the summer holidays, then the CAttery and Kennnels would have been quite busy.
  • Options
    ninz39ninz39 Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my daughter is in the same boat, 14 and wants a job, but the opportunities are just not there now. i used to collect and sort out eggs, boy was it smelly but paid well at the time.