✭✭✭
    Deleted!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sh1t wrote: »
    You first.
    alright, we're so small but yet so powerful. That's always surprised me, a country this small has so much power on this earth. and even bigger countries are scared of us.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i will never understand why anyone is proud of their nationality. "oooh look where i was born! i'm so proud of myself!" what rubbish.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,373
    Forum Member
    I'm proud to be British and i'm proud to be English. We're a great country even though we have our problems (which country doesnt?!).

I reckon we should get the empire back... whos with me? :D lol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm proud to be Welsh
    We have...
    Amazing wealth of History
    Kind thoughtful people,
    Amazing Foods,
    Fab Beaches
    Amazing Country side and coastline
    The Welsh culture of tolerance
    Eisteddfod
    Maintained our own identity and language

Not as proud to be British
  • Options
    broadzbroadz Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *T*I*N*K* wrote: »
    I'm proud to be Welsh
    We have...

Amazing Foods

Cheese on toast?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,449
    Forum Member
    Because we have the best football team in the world Manchester United! :D

*Sniggers*

Sorry :o
  • Options
    QuickfadeQuickfade Posts: 5,998
    Forum Member
    neenaw wrote: »
    i will never understand why anyone is proud of their nationality. "oooh look where i was born! i'm so proud of myself!" what rubbish.
    Agree. Sometimes I am thankful to have been born British, opposed to, say, in a country full of famine and disease, but ultimately I am not proud to be British.

How can you be proud of being something that is down to pure chance? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    broadz wrote: »
    Cheese on toast?
    Yeah MMM Welsh Rarebit
    (please no one mention the Rugby:o:o:D)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,168
    Forum Member
    Quickfade wrote: »

Guess it's time to stop gay pride parades then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree. Sometimes I am thankful to have been born British, opposed to, say, in a country full of famine and disease, but ultimately I am not proud to be British.

but isn't most situations down to chance. Like your mum, dad, siblings. in that case how can we be proud of anything.
    Im proud to be English.
  • Options
    QuickfadeQuickfade Posts: 5,998
    Forum Member
    truvoice wrote: »
    but isn't most situations down to chance. Like your mum, dad, siblings. in that case how can we be proud of anything.
    Im proud to be English.
    Achievements are something to be proud of... things you do and say and experience and choose. Not just being something that you have no control over.

For example, I'm proud of my parents because they work hard and gave my sister and I a decent upbringing. I'm proud of myself for choosing to go back to finish my degree and getting a promotion at work. I would even go as far to say that I am proud of the English football team when they work hard and win a football match. I may even be proud of some of our country's achievements and history.

However, I'm not proud of being born with brown eyes or dark hair, or on a small island in the Northern hemisphere... do you see the distinction?
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    In a way the massive impact the UK has made on the world... it would be a very very different place if our nation never existed- and that’s not a big headed gesture..and its strange how we feel wrong to say things like that now. Computers and Information Technology- the internet etc was a British idea for example- Trains and the idea of a high speed transport and trade society, legal and governmental systems, economic practice, militarily, educational systems, sports (such as cricket, tennis, rugby and football), There’s so much that has come from the people and ideas particularly from empire times it would take an age writing it all down.

Ofcorse there is the fact that there was a lot of bad that came from our world influence too. Japan and the USA may take credit for the modern day technology around us for example, but it all stems from us In fact every country today and new rising superpowers owe some credit to the British Global influence. - this seems to be overlooked in education around the world.

oo and our influence in giving the world Fish and Chips and Mussy Peas! and Tika Masala

This country due to the embarrassment of loosing our world power and the enforcement of PC has become sterile and i think we have lost our national pride- that’s a well disserved one i feel. - The Union Flag should be readopted not for the far right but for all again. we should be proud of who we were and are-- it may solve a lot of societies current problems
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _drak wrote: »
    Guess it's time to stop gay pride parades then.

yeah it is. being proud of your sexuality is as dumb as being proud of your nationality or being proud of your eye colour.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've got the current World Superbike champion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrsOggy wrote: »
    *Sniggers*

Sorry :o

Champions Champions Champions :D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm proud to be british.
    And i'm proud ot be english.

I'm proud of our sense of fair play. The fact we are polite and queue rather than all bundle forwards in a mad scrum. I'm proud of our sense of humour, that even when rubbish at sport we can take it on the chin (unlike say the americans who will walk out of a tournament if the US players are losing) I'm proud of the fact that London is probably the most ethnically diverse cities in the world (unlike paris where you just don't see anyone who isn't white and wearing the same bland fashion uniform in the city center) I'm proud of our cultural heritage and the fact we are willing to embrace both that and the modern.
    I'm proud of our food for all the french/etc snobbyness, regional british food is unique.
    I'm mostly proud of our countryside which is the most beautiful in the world.
  • Options
    Lush_LolaLush_Lola Posts: 4,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's gonna kick off any time from now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree. Sure you can like things about your country or feel lucky to be born there but what exactly are people proud of?
    I realise that I was born in England by chance and that I have not really contributed anything that made any real difference to the country.
  • Options
    GreenDamskGreenDamsk Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I sense a theme in your threads.
  • Options
    JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not.

I'm proud of my achievements.

I can't be proud of a land mass that existed millenia before I was born.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    truvoice wrote: »
    Im proud to be English.

my mum got through really hard times and brought up 2 kids single-handedly. that's one of the things i'm proud of her for and have a lot of respect and admiration for her. can you see the difference between that and being proud of your nationality?