Options

Most influential TV show of the last 10 years...

drwhorudrwhoru Posts: 242
Forum Member
what do you think the most influential show of the past 10 years is and why?

i would suggest pop idol, millionaire, 24, Big Brother and Friends.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    You haven't said why!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    drwhoru wrote: »
    what do you think the most influential show of the past 10 years is and why?

I would suggest pop idol, millionaire, 24, Big Brother and Friends.

I'd say that any reality show is not influential. Well I suppose it is if you live your life according to the pages of HEAT magazine.

Millionaire is hardly influential. It's a quiz game.

Friends is bubblegum American comedy. Not influential in the slightest. Unless you are a middle class american

I can't comment on 24 but I have heard it's redefined the whole drama genre so you can have that one
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big Brother??

Well, I suppose it aptly represents the denigration of civilised society over the past ten years, when "being famous" despite having no discernible talent whatsoever is seen as a viable career option.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Queer as Folk' was a pretty groundbreaking series.

I've really enjoyed the re-runs that have been shown this week on More4.
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe 'Millionaire' - the first time anyone actually HAS won a million £
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    Probably "Big Brother", as unfortunante as that is. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    Sloopy wrote: »
    Big Brother??

Well, I suppose it aptly represents the denigration of civilised society over the past ten years, when "being famous" despite having no discernible talent whatsoever is seen as a viable career option.

I'm not sure thats true - it seems to me that everyone who watches BB knows the the Housemates' search for fame at any cost is facile and shallow, its not as if the Housemates are liked all that much. But I do think BB provokes healthy debate ig racism and bullying and I believe that the whole Shilpa Shetty saga made people think about racism if nothing else.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,653
    Forum Member
    I would go for 24 as well. Even though last season was lacklusture it is still the best drama series on Tv and redefined the whole genre and created new brilliant dramas such as Lost,Prison Break and Heroes.
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sloopy wrote: »
    Big Brother??

Yes, in that respect Big Brother has been hugely influential.

It wasn't the first reality TV show but it was the one which got the most attention and it has sustained itself for 7 years.

There is no doubt that it (and its contemporaries) have influenced our ideas about popular culture, specifically the notion that you can become famous without any discernible talent or gift, but just by "being yourself."

This is in contrast to talent shows like Pop Idol and X Factor, where the winners do (arguably) have to at least have a decent singing voice.

I think "24" was innovative in having a real-time narrative and the use of split screens (though certainly not the first to use those techniques.) It might have popularised the shaky, restless, "documentary-style" camera but I'm not sure whether other TV shows did this before.

I think The Simpsons was also very influential in redefining animated comedy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    i think as far as comedy goes, The Royle Family must be in with a good shout. If it wasn't for the subjects, the way in which it is shot, the style of humour and the loss of a studio audience or laughter track, then we may have not had such shows as Phoenix Nights or The Office, two of the most successful British comedies of all time.

what does everyone else think?
  • Options
    yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Driving school and Airport, the first docu-drama shows , which launched a whole new type of television.

Millionaire because it changed the face of tv quiz shows.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Groundbreaking genre such as Six Feet Under, Life on Mars, Queer as Folk, CSI all encourage fresh new writing but I don't think any programmes have really been that 'influential' apart from Big Brother which brought reality TV firmly into the public eye and spawned many attempts to be as popular.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From a sci-fi/fantasy point of view it would be The X Files and Star Trek The Next Generation. Their success made studio execs aware that there was a hunger for sci fi on TV. So many shows were green lighted on the back of their success: Babylon5, Buffy, DS9, and so on...
  • Options
    ayrshiremanayrshireman Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure thats true - it seems to me that everyone who watches BB knows the the Housemates' search for fame at any cost is facile and shallow, its not as if the Housemates are liked all that much.

I would like to think so, but frankly mate I think you are being very nieve....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,520
    Forum Member
    Big Brother. If this show wasn't influential, then it would have never been capable of causing a worldwide crisis. If it wasn't influential, then we wouldn't be seeing as many reality shows now as we would have had in the late 90s. If it wasn't influential, it wouldn't be very talked about in The Guardian, The Independent, The Times, The Telegraph or any other non-red top tabloid. Usually, reality shows are only mentioned in The Mail or The Sun, but Big Brother has been a huge exception to this. To just sweep this show as "just another one of these shows" is a big error, because you would be slamming 7 big years of a UK phenomenom that hasn't made summers as boring as it once was.

As for US shows that have had big impacts in the UK, Friends (was able to change the English language and increase slang), ER (spawned so many medical dramas with dramatic storylines), The X-Files (made sci-fi shows populist). Again, if anyone were to sweep away these shows for being average, then think again.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You really want to know the answer?

Changing Rooms

Since when the schedules have been chopped up into bite sized chunks of consumerist tat.
  • Options
    EmmaGxEmmaGx Posts: 31,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    You really want to know the answer?

Changing Rooms

Since when the schedules have been chopped up into bite sized chunks of consumerist tat.
    I was totally going to suggest Changing Rooms, and I thought I was being so original!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    24 (concept)
    The Wire (writing)
    The West Wing (writing, filmimg, production)
    Six Feet Under (writing, concept)
    The Shield (writing, acting)

Big Brother, Apprentice and Bargin Hunt

Deal or no Deal
  • Options
    jamespondojamespondo Posts: 6,040
    Forum Member
    I don't know why someone mentioned The Simpsons for the last 10 years most influential because by 1997 it was on it's way straight downhill (very influential between 90 & 95 though).

24 has definately really helped America to lead the way in high quality television in the last 10 years.

Friends has never really influenced anything in my opinion.

I'd say Big Brother because it showed a great number on people wanted 'serious' reality TV which obviously the networks loved due to fact they were cheap to produce and gave a good revenue (in face of dwindling ad rates) in phone in votes.The format was tweaked for Music (Pop Idol.X Factor.American Idol ect),C list Celebrities,Dancing,Acting and many more.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think it has to be an RTV show for fairly obvious reasons...and I would nominate Survivor.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jamespondo wrote: »

E4 scheduling I'd wager!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jamespondo wrote: »
    I don't know why someone mentioned The Simpsons for the last 10 years most influential because by 1997 it was on it's way straight downhill (very influential between 90 & 95 though).

24 has definately really helped America to lead the way in high quality television in the last 10 years.

I'd say Big Brother because it showed a great number on people wanted 'serious' reality TV which obviously the networks loved due to fact they were cheap to produce and gave a good revenue (in face of dwindling ad rates) in phone in votes.The format was tweaked for Music (Pop Idol.X Factor.American Idol ect),C list Celebrities,Dancing,Acting and many more.

People's personal choices:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To Catch a Predator
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big Brother. It started the reality TV show craze and has a huge impact on every day life, which January proved.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,520
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised that nobody mentioned Brookside.