Options

Too many dance styles, too hard to mark fairly?

claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
Forum Member
✭✭
I didn't think it worked last year and I don't think it works this year either.

They really should not be dancing so many different dances every week as it makes comparisons stupidly hard. Should, for example, a brilliant salsa score more than a brilliant VW simply because it wows more when that is nothing to do with the actual performances but more with the limitations or advantages of the dance style itself?

It does seem to really disadvantage some couples when they are given the generally less show stopping numbers.

Why can they not work it the same way they did in series two?

The issue seems to be because of that boys week/girls week split for the first two shows. A simple fix would be to do the same dances for both of these weeks (waltz and cha cha). Then each week people swap discipline and do whatever latin or ballroom dance is put down for that week. It worked in series 2 just fine and it made the marking much easier - does it really matter if we see an uneven number of latin and ballroom dances every week?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Claire, I'm 100% with you. It doesn't even need to be only two dances on any given night, but when practically everyone is doing different dances, it's insane :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 443
    Forum Member
    claire2281 wrote: »
    I didn't think it worked last year and I don't think it works this year either.

They really should not be dancing so many different dances every week as it makes comparisons stupidly hard. Should, for example, a brilliant salsa score more than a brilliant VW simply because it wows more when that is nothing to do with the actual performances but more with the limitations or advantages of the dance style itself?

It does seem to really disadvantage some couples when they are given the generally less show stopping numbers.

Why can they not work it the same way they did in series two?

The issue seems to be because of that boys week/girls week split for the first two shows. A simple fix would be to do the same dances for both of these weeks (waltz and cha cha). Then each week people swap discipline and do whatever latin or ballroom dance is put down for that week. It worked in series 2 just fine and it made the marking much easier - does it really matter if we see an uneven number of latin and ballroom dances every week?

I agree - to the untrained eye ( like mine!) the fact there are so many different dances, makes it almost impossible to say who is the best.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO the judging is so out-of-control now that this is a complete non-issue.

In fact, I would suggest that the PTB want lots of different styles to partly conceal the bizarreness of some of the scoring. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think these problems will be as pronounced next week.

All couples will have to dance both a ballroom and a latin, and hopefully, this will help both to make comparisons and for marks to be a fairer reflection of the performance.

If nothing else, the Judges will be able to compare a latin and ballroom danced by the same couple. One dance will then serve as a marker for their next dance.
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sports Fan wrote: »
    I don't think these problems will be as pronounced next week.

All couples will have to dance both a ballroom and a latin, and hopefully, this will help both to make comparisons and for marks to be a fairer reflection of the performance.

But again it depends on which latin and ballroom dances you get e.g. I think someone who gets the tango lucks out in comparison to someone who gets the VW.

It's just silly.

Tonight we've got people saying Matt's dance was better than Alesha's and I can totally see why. The salsa is more 'snazzy' and wow inducing than the cha cha but does Matt really deserve more simply because he lucked out on the dance style he was given this week?

I personally would have done what Craig did and mark them equally but I can really see why many would say Matt's dance was better - it was more entertaining certainly but he was given better material to work with with the salsa.

Similarly I thought Gethin was hampered by having the rumba last week and had an advantage with the QS this week only because of the popularity of the dance.
  • Options
    PufflePuffle Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with your original post Claire, it needs to go back to the old format where the girls did one dance in one discipline and the boys did one dance in the opposite discipline each week right through out the show - only then would you be able to see who really is the best dancer on any given night
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    Why not have one dance in the semi finals or finals where the couples have to dance the same choreography. I would like to see that just once per season. I think it might be very revealing.
  • Options
    jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    I completely agree. Particularly, I think just allowing lifts for the AS and then only letting one couple dance it is completely unfair (nothing personal about Kenny). I think it would be much better to have a 'lifts or no lifts' rule, once they were experienced, say week 7 or 8 would be a week where every couple could add lifts to their dances if they wanted, regardless of what they were dancing, and again, say, for the semi-final and show dance.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jtnorth wrote: »
    I completely agree. Particularly, I think just allowing lifts for the AS and then only letting one couple dance it is completely unfair (nothing personal about Kenny). I think it would be much better to have a 'lifts or no lifts' rule, once they were experienced, say week 7 or 8 would be a week where every couple could add lifts to their dances if they wanted, regardless of what they were dancing, and again, say, for the semi-final and show dance.

I think it may be better if the American Smooth were left until later in the competition and everyone left at that point performed it in a set week - bit like the AT at the moment. In fact, both could be done on the same week (though that could be a bit too much).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,449
    Forum Member
    I agree with all this - for example, the cha cha cha is probably the least wow of the latins for me so how can you judge against salsa and samba (both sambas disappointing tonight for me)

it's total pot luck
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clonion wrote: »
    I think it may be better if the American Smooth were left until later in the competition and everyone left at that point performed it in a set week - bit like the AT at the moment. In fact, both could be done on the same week (though that could be a bit too much).
    I don't know exactly how to get round it best, but in principle totally agree.

I thought it was insane that AS was the first ballroom for some celebs!