Options

'Threads' / 80's nuclear threat

Comments

• Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zounds wrote: »
    Threads is a great film ain't it, quite rare tho' I can only remember seeing it on TV once when I was in my teens and it only had a very limited release on VHS (officially anyway), as you said, very disturbing/scary, especially if you don't know what it's all about.
    I show it to people the same age as me (early 40's) and most haven't heard of it before.

Interesting to hear that it's streaming somewhere online, it took me ages to find a decent copy.

I didn't think about nuclear attack back in the 70's myself, I was too young in the early years, and by the late seventies I was busy enjoying myself as (probably) a ******** teenager! lol

"Threads" and its US equivelant "The day after" have both been on the SciFi channel in recent years - and both are still very disturbing to watch even now.
    I'm surprised your 40s friends haven't heard of it - it was a very big deal when it first came out.
    I wonder if it was becouse it was only at that point that we realised a nuclear war would trigger a nuclear winter -the evidence having come from the Mars probes of all places!
    The idea of a nuclear strike was bad enough but suffering years of dark & cold would pretty much finish any civilisation off.
  • Options
    Oblido2007Oblido2007 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had this on DVD for a while, and even today it is still quite frightening that we were that close of it actually happening.

Me personally don't remember anything about the whole situation of a nuclear attack on the UK, and I would of turn 5 years old in in late 1980.

Though I do remember watching 'When The Wind Blows' when it was televised.

All these type of docu-dramas I have to admit does fascinate me. Another that I personally liked was BBC's 'The Day Britain Stopped' about the meltdown of the UK's transport system.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/the_day_britain_stopped/default.stm
  • Options
    19711971 Posts: 1,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wikipedia says it was 1984 so i would have been 13.
    yes it scared the hell out of me, i did post on the original thread about it.
    the scene where the bomb hits while ppl are shopping and a ldy wee's herself, its something that stuck with me from then.

at the time also i remember we had PE at school and we all heard the 3min warning horn thing, even the teacher shit herself, we never found out what that horn sound was.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very scary was Threads, even had questions in the house of commons after it's airing. Never used to help back then that every so often on the news they'd show us the doomsday clock showing 2 minutes to midnight. I remember the Protect and Survive leaflets and ads with Patrick Allen's voice:eek::eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mesostim wrote: »
    I have it on DVD somewhere...

I do too, it was a remarkable and poignant drama at the time due to the strong feelings and concern over nuclear proliferation.

When it was first shown, the cold war still existed and the potential scenario depicted in the film was all too real.

I remember watching it when it was first screened and it became a popular topic of discussion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,796
    Forum Member
    As someone who grew up near the nuclear base at Greenham Common I can remember being terrified of nuclear armageddon in the 80s. I do remember Threads I found it very depressing.
    The nuclear threat is still with us unfortunately, the bombs are still around and it would only take one mad moment to unleash it.:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too remember Threads and When the Wind Blows. Very thought provoking. We were all quite worried about the threat of nuclear war at that time.

I remember the Protect and Survive leaflets too. You were supposed to stock up on tinned food and water and make a shelter using the dining table and some mattresses. In fact, the couple in Where the Wind Blows did just that!
  • Options
    ikkleosuikkleosu Posts: 11,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    . There were good books too - Z for Zachariah (which many people read at school, and which was good, but a bit of a cop-out in that it let the heroine live in an enclave unaffected by radiation) and the much much scarier Brother in the Land, by Robert Swindells (extremely well written teen novel set in the Bradford area, focussing on the unlucky ones who survived the nuclear bombs), On the Beach, as someone has already mentioned...

That reminds me, we studied a play/short novel (I can't remember which) called Adam's Ark, when I was at school. It was about a group of teens and their teacher who are on a school trip to a nuclear bunker when there is a nuclear attack and they are trapped there. Can't remember how it ended...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Macaroni wrote: »
    I remember our class being made to watch it in Modern Studies. Several people vomitted. All I took from it was to hide in a stairwell with a mattress strapped to my back. Sorted.

We did a whole project about a nuclear strike for English. We watched Threads wich petrified the life out of me, were handed photo copies of the government advice on what to do if we were hit, and also read a really good book, but I've forgotten what it was called (honestly it was good).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too remember Threads and When the Wind Blows. Very thought provoking. We were all quite worried about the threat of nuclear war at that time.

I remember the Protect and Survive leaflets too. You were supposed to stock up on tinned food and water and make a shelter using the dining table and some mattresses. In fact, the couple in Where the Wind Blows did just that!

That advice was as pointless and laughable then as we know it to be now. ;)

It was a way for the Government to attempt to calm the discomfort we all felt at the time but, in reality, would have provided little protection and left the survivors of the direct detonation to suffer the longer term complications of radiation.

Any survivors would face the reality of having to attempt to adjust to the complete destruction of everything on which we are typically reliant and familiar.

They would likely soon succumb to the effects of radiation poisoning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Realist71 wrote: »
    That advice was as pointless and laughable then as we know it to be now. ;)

It was a way for the Government to attempt to calm the discomfort we all felt at the time but, in reality, would have provided little protection and left the survivors of the direct detonation to suffer the longer term complications of radiation.

Any survivors would face the reality of having to attempt to adjust to the complete destruction of everything on which we are typically reliant and familiar.

Yes it was!

You were also supposed to keep candles and matches and a radio and spare batteries in order to have some contact with the outside world. I seem to remember they advised you stay in your house/shelter for a certain length of time (10days??) before it was "safe" to go out and see if any one else had survived!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it was!

You were also supposed to keep candles and matches and a radio and spare batteries in order to have some contact with the outside world. I seem to remember they advised you stay in your house/shelter for a certain length of time (10days??) before it was "safe" to go out and see if any one else had survived!

AFAICR the leaflet omitted to say where you could obtain some alcohol that would be safe to drink at the survivors party. :p

You could raid the local off-licence but you'd risk being shot by the troops in the anti-radiation suites instructed to uphold social order! :rolleyes: :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    'Threads' is a truly astonishing film. I can't imagine anything being made like it today, even on a different topic.

Imagine a BBC drama about Global Warming done now. It would be all CGI'd to death, with poor script writing and overblown direction.

With 'Threads', remember it was made on a (comparative) shoestring, yet it was so damn effective.

The script, by Barry Hines (who also wrote 'Kes' & 'Looks & Smiles') is brilliant and the direction is incredibly tight.

Overall though, is the sheer believability of it all. It starts of like a cosy kitchen sink drama and just evolves into this incredible bleakness...

Outstanding, shocking and amazing, even now.
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Suzie80's wrote: »
    After reading the 'Most disturbing thing you've ever seen on TV' thread on here yesterday, I watched 'Threads' online today.

I remember my sister telling me she watched it in school during the early 1990's, and how scary it was. I have to say I found it pretty terrifying, but being born in 1980, don't know much about those times. So I guess I'm just curious to know what it was like back then - was a nuclear attack something people genuinely worried about? Or does anyone have any specific memories of those years.

I was born in 1980, and people were really worried about the possibility of nuclear war in the 1980s. The very idea that we could be sitting here in 2007 enjoying a relatively peaceful world would have seemed ludicrous back then, and I seem to recall that a lot of people were buying into a Nostradamus prediction that the end of the world would be in 1986.

What didn't help was that, back then, we were sold the idea of 'red buttons' whereby Brezhnev, for example, could wake up a bit grumpy and just decide to launch an all-out attack on the West.

They were really scary times. When the 90s came and the world seemed to be at peace, it was magnificent.
  • Options
    ClangeretteClangerette Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just bought When The Wind Blows for £7.95 from www.dvd.co.uk can't wait to see it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Suzie80's wrote: »
    After reading the 'Most disturbing thing you've ever seen on TV' thread on here yesterday, I watched 'Threads' online today.

I remember my sister telling me she watched it in school during the early 1990's, and how scary it was. I have to say I found it pretty terrifying, but being born in 1980, don't know much about those times. So I guess I'm just curious to know what it was like back then - was a nuclear attack something people genuinely worried about? Or does anyone have any specific memories of those years.

I was 7-17 during the 1980's. I don't remember the threat of a nuclear attack being an all-pervading fear, but it was present. The main thing I remember of it being discussed was right after the Chernobyl Disaster, when I was in a Modern Studies class. Our school was only about 5 miles away from the Faslane Nuclear Submarine base on the Clyde, which our teacher had said would be a main target of any attack. We talked about how if there was an explosion, we'd all know to look away, and not get blinded by the flash. Right after that, the teacher battered his hand loudly on his desk, causing all necks to swing towards the noise, thereby disproving the theory.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    With Reagan in charge the potential for global nuclear war was unacceptably high.

Now it's the terrorists most likely to blow us up. They will go nuclear before long, too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was pregnant with my first child when 'Threads' was aired.

After the opening scene, I couldn't watch it.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBDodge wrote: »
    With Reagan in charge the potential for global nuclear war was unacceptably high.

Now it's the terrorists most likely to blow us up. They will go nuclear before long, too.

Small consolation I know, but at least with a terrorist attack it would only be a very few bombs. If world war III had kicked off it would have been the end of civilisation, if not mankind itself.
    :(
  • Options
    PlanetPlanet Posts: 1,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen Threads a few times, and each time it's just as chilling.

There are certain scenes that you always remember too.

Another good film is The War Game, made in the 60s, more of an information-style fim.

Yes, Protect & Survive, with Patrick Allens great authoritative voice - the legend will live on. In fact, he did say that if there was a nuclear attack, his voice would probably be the last one we'd hear!
  • Options
    BarbellaBarbella Posts: 5,417
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    Small consolation I know, but at least with a terrorist attack it would only be a very few bombs. If world war III had kicked off it would have been the end of civilisation, if not mankind itself.
    :(

However, history has revealed that the USSR never had the nuclear potential that was claimed by the USA. In fact America's nuclear potential far exceeded anything else on the planet - The US could have obliterated most of inhabited Russia , but the Russians could not have recipocated.

The cold war and the nuclear threat was all smoke and mirrors , it was all about the promotion of 'fear' as a means of social control, much like 'the war on terror' exists to promote fear.

I was a CND supporter in the early 80's when I was in my teens and at 17 I took myself off to Greenham Common - where the boys we had travelled up with to lend their support were abused and told in no uncertain terms that they could not join in the protest :mad: The whole thing had just become some feminist /anti male' new age traveller camp - I don't think half of them gave a shit about nuclear weapons. A large section of the protesters had just hijacked the 'fear of bombs' protest to promote their own - often dubious - agendas. It made me question the whole 'nuclear threat' scenario and made me very cyncial towards CND and protesters - and governments - in general
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    I've always wanted to do a disaster movie without the happy ending or someone saving the day. Something like a nuclear attack on a major city and dealing with the aftermath and struggle for survival while showing some brutally graphic scenes of the event would make for a good movie I think.

A major natural global event (yellowstone going up) would be interesting too, but that was done recently with the BBC Supervolcano stuff, although I thought that was more of a documentary rather than a movie.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Threads made me feel physically sick when I first watched it. It didn't help that I seen it at the time there was considerable scaremongering in the media about the possibility of a nuclear escalation in strained relations between India and Pakistan. Not being old enough to know the full details, all that scared me was the possibility that nuclear weapons could be detonated.

I really liked Threads on the whole though. A very brave attempt to show the full horror of a nuclear conflict on a limited budget. And it was bloody effective. Many people who watched it in my class at the time pretended to be unmoved, but have since admitted to me that it scared them more than they let on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    BUMP

I purchased and watched 'Threads' over the weekend as I have never seen it before. I have to say that this was simply awesome viewing and again holds on to the strength that was TV in the 80's and the 70's. I would seriously reccomend this to anyone if you can get it on DVD.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When the Wind Blows is on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdguWMF1abU

Great little toon!