Options

Jack is not the face of boe

Comments

• Options
    trollfacetrollface Posts: 13,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richie1001 wrote: »
    This is the only way I'd want Jack to be FOB - coming back to life after long enough to re-charge - If FOB died in Gridlock it seems a bit of a... well, rubbish, death to give an immortal guy! Would rather see him sacrifice himself to save the timelords or some such thing!

Why is him sacrificing his life to save the Time Lords so much better than his sacrificing his life to save a planet full of humans?
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol the trick is to sound like you know what your talking about. ;)

*makes note to self..*

right gotcha.
  • Options
    Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    trollface wrote: »
    Why is him sacrificing his life to save the Time Lords so much better than his sacrificing his life to save a planet full of humans?

I was thinking in terms of one planet of humans compared to the whole time lord race - but i see your point.

Maybe it was just me, but i felt that if we were watching FOB/Jack finally die, it just felt a bit, well... rubbish... :o sorry
  • Options
    roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was the Face Of Boe the last of his kind

So based on this, has he had any children

And if he has who was the mother

So if any children exsist, has the doctor met them, or has he still to meet them
  • Options
    Paper DollPaper Doll Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know Captain Jack is full of himself but surely he can't have got that big-headed.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    roland rat wrote: »
    Was the Face Of Boe the last of his kind

So based on this, has he had any children

And if he has who was the mother

So if any children exsist, has the doctor met them, or has he still to meet them

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Face_of_Boe
    The tie-in book Monsters and Villains states that the Face has an abnormally long lifespan for an unknown reason; he had six children during the 2001st Century who only lived for 40 years each, the average lifespan of the species.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talk about contriving an explaination! Should really be Rassilon, Omega and the Other, not Borussa.

I came up with it in about 30 seconds to be honest. Somebody might be along to tell me that it's better than anything RTD has come up with soon;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Correct me if I'm wrong here but at the end of New Earth, doesn't the FOB dematerialise away from the Doctor. It's been rumoured ahead of the xmas special that
    Astrid is a living Tardis
    If that's the case then could FOB turn out as
    some form of void ship/collective consciousness of Time Lords,created in the last days of the Time War
    COuld BOE stand for
    Borussa,Omega and another Time Lord

In the same way that Rose met the Doctor at Bad Wolf Bay, could her time goddess moment, mean that she created Capt Jack to grow up on the Boeshine peninsula.

you know thats much better an explanation than RTD would ever come up with:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emma30 wrote: »
    you know thats much better an explanation than RTD would ever come up with:)

Thank you Emma:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Emma:)

my pleasure:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Richie1001 wrote: »
    I was thinking in terms of one planet of humans compared to the whole time lord race - but i see your point.

Maybe it was just me, but i felt that if we were watching FOB/Jack finally die, it just felt a bit, well... rubbish... :o sorry

That's simply because Gridlock was a rubbish episode. Sadly it's the case with the new series (and heck, the old one too I guess) that sometimes these important points crop up in episodes that don't do them justice.

Sigh.

First mention of Timelords = Wargames...

Finding out the Doctor is half human and has started snogging his companions = TV Movie

Ugh. I need to stop thinking about this.
  • Options
    cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ChrissyM1 wrote: »
    The theory is that Jack couldn't die until he told the Doctor about the Master.

The Face of Boe was the one who warned the doctor and the only person who could have known about the Master and survive long enough to meet the doctor in new(x13?) York was Jack, thanks to the events in LOTTL.

We have no idea (probably RTD doesnt either, so has left it for the forums to give ideas, maybe it will appear in a later programme).

I like your theory. I caught 10 mins of a Torchwood repeat last night and Jack was talking about not being able to die and he said "they're keeping me alive for something" so maybe Rose did pass on something to him in his genes which altered his DNA and then he lost his body and got a great big head....just a theory...dont shout at me...lol
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    That's simply because Gridlock was a rubbish episode. Sadly it's the case with the new series (and heck, the old one too I guess) that sometimes these important points crop up in episodes that don't do them justice.

Sigh.

First mention of Timelords = Wargames...

Finding out the Doctor is half human and has started snogging his companions = TV Movie

Ugh. I need to stop thinking about this.

The lame effects and stories that some of the episodes of the revived series are worse than those of the original doctor who show. You'd think with today's technology they'd be able to give us better effects and all good stories.

Stargate SG1 had a similar budget to doctor who, or so I read and they had excellent effects and stories almost every episode.

Maybe it's the long runs that are to blame, maybe they should cut it down to 10 episodes per series, 8 standalones and a 2 episode finale.
  • Options
    IceHunterIceHunter Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    Maybe it's the long runs that are to blame, maybe they should cut it down to 10 episodes per series, 8 standalones and a 2 episode finale.

I think its the writers and producers who are to blame, and cutting it down will only mean less of a bad thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If they've only got 10 episodes to worry about, they can focus on the better stories and scrap the rubbish ones. 13 is way too many.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    IceHunter wrote: »
    I think its the writers and producers who are to blame, and cutting it down will only mean less of a bad thing.

You can't really blame them, they're told to make 13 eps and it's very hard to write 13 eps and film them and edit them and then air them in the space of 1 year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In New Earth, we see that FOB has the choice of when he dies or not. ("Dying can wait")

So i think Jack is FOB, but somewhere along the line he's learnt how to die.
  • Options
    cricket123cricket123 Posts: 542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh for ****s sack, HE IS THE FACE OF BOE
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cricket123 wrote: »
    Oh for ****s sack, HE IS THE FACE OF BOE

No, Russell said he threw it in last minute as a theory for us to mull over, he never confirmed that Jack is.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    I like the idea I heard somewhere that everything Rose did as the Bad Wolf was to protect the Doctor - incuding brining Jack back to life, meaning that she prevented him from dying until he could save the Doctor. With Boe sacrificing his life for the Doctor and the city of New New York, he could finally die.
    But nothing's been confirmed so there's no definitive answer as far as I know - it's all just fun speculation, really.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    from wiki

"In "The Long Game," set 100 years earlier (the Face's youngest appearance), a TV network reports that he is pregnant with the "Baby Boemina." In "New Earth," it is stated that the Face is the last of his species, the "Boekind" having died off long before."

OK, so lets assume that jack is the face of boe and he looks like that simpply because he has lived for billions of years. This means that theres only 2 ways there could be a BO race.

1) Someone turns a bunch of humans emortal and sends them back in time with jack.
    2) Jack has kids. [remeber jack said he had been pregnent before. Couldve been a joke...?]

which brings be to this quote.

"The tie-in book Monsters and Villains states that the Face has an abnormally long lifespan for an unknown reason; he had six children during the 2001st Century who only lived for 40 years each, the average lifespan of the species."

Which means all the BOES arnt immortal, so they must be The Face's kids.

OK, how about looking at this from a different angle? We know BOE knows of the doctor, and we know he knows of the master. After the Time War very few traces of the timelords exist, but they are out there. That and he has lived after the current master, So he couldve just read it in a newspaper....

The most important thing to remeber is we are talking about billions of years and immesurable space. This means practically impossible things happen by coincidence [go read HHGTTG. Love that book].

So yeah, thats what I think :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Also the doctor says that the face of boe is impossible, that he can't of lived for billions of years. He said a similar thing about Jack...

Waaaait a minute, potential paradox. If Boe is jack then he went into his own timeline and altered things so they happened the way they did in his [boe's] past. He changed the path of his own life to fit with his memories of life.

Just out of curiousity, why do you think he's called "the face of Boe"? Is it just humans naming things in a daft way, or has he been decapitated and his body died/was left somewhere? Is his body a big battery somewhere?

Just had a really far-out idea. This is probably nonsense, but I like it. So the face of Boe can be used for energy, correct? So what episode have we seen where a huge amount of continuous energy was used but was never explained? The satan pit! What if the body of boe was down there with Satan, and the jars where just a "Key, gate or Bars" rather then the power source? :p
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kegsie wrote: »
    Is the FoB dead though?

Jack was 'dead' for days in the last episode of Torchwood. FoB could just be 'recharging his batteries' after giving up his lifeforce to repower the city
    DazerUK wrote: »
    Actually do we really know that the Face of Boe dies in Gridlock?

In Torchwood 'End of Days' when Jack has defeated the Abaddon he remains dead for a few days before coming back to life. Maybe the FOB re-awakens after the Doctor has left.
    As I was reading through the opening posts, this exact thought entered my head. I was all ready to post it, but suddenly I saw you two had done it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    neither wiki nor rtd are reliable sources. wiki is inacurate and rtd is an attention grabbing nit. could jack be the face of boe - why not? looks to have been set up to make people ask this specific question and keep watching the show.;)
  • Options
    NewbieCanuckNewbieCanuck Posts: 6,698
    Forum Member
    We have to remember that when RTD said it was a theory, Julie Gardner told him to stop backtracking.

Until/unless there is a story that establishes Jack isn't the Face of Boe, it's safe to assume he is and stop theorising that he isn't.

As for FOB being able to die, if the universe can die (which is established fact in Doctor Who), then so can anything in it, no?

Secondly, what a rubbish last message. If I was going to wait around millions of years to warn the Doctor about the Master my message would be along the lines of "Soon you're going to meet a chap called Yano. He's really the Master in human form. Probably not a good idea to help him."