Options

People dying on Live TV

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a cheerful topic to start off a year!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    That Confederations Cup match was live on Eurosport (as I was watching it).

Eurosport seems to be holding the record so far.

They've been broadcasting the Tour de France since 1989 so I'm pretty sure they must have also shown Fabio Casartelli's death in 1994 (head injury following high speed crash).

Andriy Kivilev also died in Paris-Nice in 2003, but I'm not certain Eurosport showed the race that year.
  • Options
    DRofThuganomicsDRofThuganomics Posts: 4,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gerry d wrote: »
    Jock Stein suffered heart attack during a qualifying match in Wales on the 10th September 1985.

Yeah I neglected to say that it was a qualifier my bad.
  • Options
    gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a cheerful topic to start off a year!

The following thread gets that award

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=720766
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are some wrong suggestions in the thread.

JFK wasn't live on TV! They didn't have coverage like that back then. The film of his death was uncovered at a later date.

Also Beslan?! Did you actually see anyone die?
  • Options
    Marmite BabyMarmite Baby Posts: 3,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also Beslan?! Did you actually see anyone die?
    The explosions in the school gym where many people died was live. By your criteria, Bradford, Heysel, Waco, Hillsborough & many more could be ruled out because you don't view the point that an individual dies.

PS This occurred the day before I was off on holiday to South Africa so I saw the events unravel switching between the various news channels.
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are some wrong suggestions in the thread.

JFK wasn't live on TV! They didn't have coverage like that back then. The film of his death was uncovered at a later date...

That's right - it was taken by a bystander.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zapruder_film
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G_Zxup7esU

In these days when every second of a major leader's life seems to be filmed, it's difficult to believe that tv stations weren't filming his convoy at that time.

I'm quite surprised there isn't tv footage of the attack on Benizir Bhutto, considering she was such a major and controversial figure. The available footage looks to be taken by bystanders.
  • Options
    Toxteth O'GradyToxteth O'Grady Posts: 8,513
    Forum Member
    solare wrote: »
    I'm quite surprised there isn't tv footage of the attack on Benizir Bhutto, considering she was such a major and controversial figure. The available footage looks to be taken by bystanders.

Not really, I doubt many camera crews would have wanted to get that near considering what has happened in the past, it was also very busy around her. Also remember that there have been heavy restrictions on the media in Pakistan over the last few months, and it wasn't that big an event until the assasination.

The attempt on her life a few months back the only footage was a long shot from the end of the road. I know that there was at least 1 western journalist very close to the incident, he was quite lucky

The best footage I've seen was the video obtained by channel 4 which i think was mobile phone footage
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    solare wrote: »

Wasn't her speech over by that point? She was trying to leave the area.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    Ayrton Senna. Watched it live :(

Roland Ratzenberger the day before Ayrton's crash during qualifying, you could see his neck was broken and they tried reviving him on the track.

It was live on Eurosport at the time
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TMLS wrote: »
    Yeah, even though you can quite clearly see on the coverage the moment he goes.

Unless you were watching on the BBC, where you just saw the pitlane...

They waited for a ridiculously long time before going to help him. The commentator, I can't remember who it was, thought it was a good sign that when he moved slightly but unfortunately it was just his head slumping as he died.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deaths in Formula were far more common in the past- Tom Pryce, Gilles Villeneuve, Riccardo Paletti

Quite a few would have been on live TV, Paletti's is on You Tube, but be warned, it's not very nice!

Thankfully safety has improved lots since, It's amazing the scale of the accidents which are survivable these days

Tom Pryce's and Giles Villeneuve's accidents are also on you Tube, as are several other car racing accidents, fatal and otherwise.

What is most surprising when you watch Giles Villeneuve fly through the air across the top of the screen (he was propelled through and onto a post) is that he didn't die instantly.

Tom Pryce's accident has to be the most bizarre of all. He hit one of two fire marshalls who were running across the track to attend to another car whose engine had caught fire, killing the fire marshall and causing the fire marshall's extinguisher to fly into Pryce's face with enough false to then end up flying over the stands and out of the stadium.

Again, be warned if looking these up that the video of Tom Pryce's accident in particularly makes for easy viewing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it was definitely live and was filmed by Yorkshire TV. The video was leaked onto Youtube sometime ago but removed thankfully.

Bradford was live, my father called me into the front room - people dying who had just gone out for the afternoon to watch a football match.It was shocking.
  • Options
    sgt.cryersgt.cryer Posts: 3,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ibeca wrote: »
    Tom Pryce's and Giles Villeneuve's accidents are also on you Tube, as are several other car racing accidents, fatal and otherwise.

What is most surprising when you watch Giles Villeneuve fly through the air across the top of the screen (he was propelled through and onto a post) is that he didn't die instantly.

Tom Pryce's accident has to be the most bizarre of all. He hit one of two fire marshalls who were running across the track to attend to another car whose engine had caught fire, killing the fire marshall and causing the fire marshall's extinguisher to fly into Pryce's face with enough false to then end up flying over the stands and out of the stadium.

Again, be warned if looking these up that the video of Tom Pryce's accident in particularly makes for easy viewing.

All the tom pryce videos dont show much of the actual crash itself
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    airfix wrote: »
    He didn't die live on tv though. He died later after arriving at hospital.

I was trying to watch the race and do an essay for university at the same time, as someone was coming to look at it.They arrived just as senna hit the wall, and i thought it looked very nasty, about ten minutes later my friend rang and asked me if i was watching it, i asked how senna was, and my friend replied that he was sure he was dead.I don't know what he saw which made him so sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not sure if thinking about death is a morbid fascinationw hic is wrong, or just an acknowledgement that everyone dies some day, so think about how it might happen.(although not very many will die walking a tightrope in high winds)

I thought we were going to see a pedestrian death in formula one when the deranged guy ran onto the racetrack one year.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jigsawjake wrote: »
    Bradford was live, my father called me into the front room - people dying who had just gone out for the afternoon to watch a football match.It was shocking.
    Its quite sad viewing the clip on you tube,because the commentator is going on about how much the new sand had cost the club and what a "disaster" it is for them, then he suddenly he realises/notices people are on fire.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Most of the people who died at the Bradford fire couldn't get out of the locked fire exit at the back, it was also fuelled by rubbish build up under the stand. As with Hillsborough the aim of the day at the time was keeping fans locked in the stands
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    people are drawn to looking at disasters.

individual deaths they can rationalise - i will never drive my car round a racetrack at 200 miles an hour, or shoot myself live on tv.........

but disasters where many people die at once doing something ordinary, watching a football match, taking a train to work, going up an escalator at the tube, people can see themselves doing that and not being able to escape.
  • Options
    sgt.cryersgt.cryer Posts: 3,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pauljs wrote: »
    Most of the people who died at the Bradford fire couldn't get out of the locked fire exit at the back, it was also fuelled by rubbish build up under the stand. As with Hillsborough the aim of the day at the time was keeping fans locked in the stands

Is the vieo of this knocking around anywhere on the net?
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    9/11 is easily the worst because nearly 3,000 people were deliberately killed (by whom, exactly, STILL remains unclear) in front of live television for the world to see. A sick circus of death on a huge scale. It truly is enough to make you want to give up on humanity.

But then you think of when the Americans had no qualms about instantly killing 70,000 people in Hiroshima (with the final death toll being up to double that) with the atomic bomb. Easily the most hideous act committed in the history of the modern world. No doubt if that had happened more recently we would have had live footage of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sgt.cryer wrote: »
    Is the vieo of this knocking around anywhere on the net?

bradford is on youtube, its a bit shocking though.Just how i remembered it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry my mistake, bradford was a video violation and was removed from youtube i saw it ages ago.

Nobody mentioned the hindenburg - "oh the humanity"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lee Harvey Oswalds death was shown live , you can go up to the fifth floor in Dallas now it's quite fascinating
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Caroline Bradley, a showjumper, die on TV when her horse fell on her?