Hidden testcard

Comments

• Options
    Big-lesBig-les Posts: 2,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    highwire wrote: »
    7. Enter 3, 3, 5, 8, 2, Red, Green, Yellow, Blue
    (note "33582" spells out the word "DELTA" on a mobile phone keypad)
    8. Wait approximately 30 seconds
    Test card W will appear

have fun

I wondered if other Greek letters would do other things so I tried ALPHA but nothing happened, has anyone else tried this?
  • Options
    saiorse44saiorse44 Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    I tried BETA and GAMMA but to no avail :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    In the cold light of day, I've been looking at this very closely. It appears to be a very poor quality image of the testcard. A framegrab shows all sorts of compression artefacts. Also, it's not animated, like a digital testcard should be - the flashing dot remains static.
  • Options
    Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Vestel boxes display the Test card immediately but the Grundig takes 30 seconds.

Now we need the secret codes behind Ch102 Teletext Cars. I suspect it's something to do with Teletext Extra. :D:D
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gilson wrote: »
    For those getting nostalgic for older test cards I can remember Test Card C and the alternated "Demonstration Film"
    Was that the one with the history of the introduction of Eurovision, only a couple of years after the event?
  • Options
    russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pkc wrote: »
    BBC us 14:9 safe mode.. I have never got a true widescreen picture on my digifusion 200 box..

BBC use AFDs correctly (most of the time!). 301/2 almost always force 16:9, as will films. Homegrown content tends to be sent 14:9 safe, and sport is 4:3 safe but the (broken IMO) AFD spec will make it over-ridable 16:9 on compliant receivers.
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The test card is displayed correctly at 16:9 on my tv and there are no compression artifacts.

However, if I set the colour intensity to look right on the testcard then it's far too high for normal pictures.

John
  • Options
    AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    The line on the Status Page called ram://bbcautol shows the codes the BBC uses to signal between MHEGs when switching to newsloops etc. You can probably figure out how to find them out :) The Digihome PVR seems to remember this data in standby.
    One more point, my region says LDN, but I am in Scotland.
  • Options
    AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    Sorry I did a reset and it now says Scotland, Like i said, it doesn't clear the RAM in standby which might explain why it needs a reset every so often. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Works fine on my Tvonics DVR-FP150.

Changing region settings doesn't seem to make any difference to the news headlines/stories (presumably Winter Hill's only carrying information relevent to my region anyway), but selecting TEST does actually cause a message to appear every so often apologising for services being temporarily unavailable.

EDIT: I'm talking rubbish anyway. All regions' news stories are readily available under "UK regions". Shows how often I use BBCi(!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,258
    Forum Member
    BBC use AFDs correctly (most of the time!). 301/2 almost always force 16:9, as will films. Homegrown content tends to be sent 14:9 safe, and sport is 4:3 safe but the (broken IMO) AFD spec will make it over-ridable 16:9 on compliant receivers.

Well on our screen BBC has black line at bottom and not at the top.. I wish they'd sort it out.. it drives me mad.

If you have 4:3 letterbox on, it doesn't display any programming by BBC1 etc correctly, however BBC parliment is correctly displayed with the black line at top and bottom.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/commissioning/tvbranding/picturesize.shtml has a good photoshop image to show how widescreen, 14:9 etc works.
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big-les wrote: »
    Yes I can confirm this, same on my few weeks old 9200TB, and also Status screen stays on until the test card appears as stated in another post on this thread. My F2-FOX T displays it fine though.

Sure shows up the horizontal compression when displayed on a 15:9 LCD panel, why are they 15:9 and not 16:9???

Shows full screen on my Humax 9200T, is your screen ratio set to 16:9?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Very useful, but I've lost the code to get to the engineer setup menu to adjust my picture width.
    Anyone got any ideas where I can get it from for my Toshiba 32" CRT

Martinbee
  • Options
    nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    snukr wrote: »

That's right I just set Humax output to 16:9 and the testcard shows incorrectly as described before. 4:3 was fine.
  • Options
    prkingprking Posts: 9,794
    Forum Member
    15:9 panels are PC Monitors not TVs. I believe Samsung manufacture some TVs which use a 15:9 PC panel, Argos got into trouble with the ASA for describing one of them as HD Ready.
  • Options
    paul_hadleypaul_hadley Posts: 10,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe they should show the testcard on 301/302 instead of the holding slide? ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    Just shows how nerdy I can be.
    When I got my first VHS recorder I made a three hour tape of Test Card 'F' !

On my Sony KDL46X2000 TV the hidden test card shows in 4:3 aspect ratio. :cry:
  • Options
    vacumtoobsvacumtoobs Posts: 1,536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bat-man wrote: »
    Just shows how nerdy I can be.
    When I got my first VHS recorder I made a three hour tape of Test Card 'F' !"

But the $64,000 question has to asked,WHEN did you get a VHS ??????

Got mine in 1983 and on the first 1 hour tape (which came "free" with the VCR,but think cost 8quid in the shops (God knows how much a 3hour one was) I did record and still have a bit of TV AM starting up + IBA Test card...................happy days;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    Was that the one with the history of the introduction of Eurovision, only a couple of years after the event?

No it was long before Eurovision, the first live TV from France was a big event a couple of years later - I was talking 1949/50! (9" Bush TV 405 line Channel 1 [45Mhz] Alexandra Palace).
  • Options
    BoolianBoolian Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found http://www.bbc.co.uk/guidelines/newmedia/technical/itv/iTV-TechnicalGuidelines_v1.doc

It mentions the hidden screen in the Freeview Platform section
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,768
    Forum Member
    All works ok on the TuTV Anytime box.

The Testcard W shows quite a few artefacts especially round the central circle where they would be more obvious.

Looks like a 'jpeg' image refreshed every 30s or so.

MHEG (and MHP) support 'png' images which would render better.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can someone do a cap of this card please?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snukr wrote: »

Yes, all set up correctly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    prking wrote: »
    15:9 panels are PC Monitors not TVs. I believe Samsung manufacture some TVs which use a 15:9 PC panel, Argos got into trouble with the ASA for describing one of them as HD Ready.

Most 'normal' LCD PC monitors are 5:4 not 15:9. I've looked at lots of LCD TVs and their specs and many are 15:9 as is my new Humax LGB-19DZT.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    Here's the download off BBCi using DC-DVB

http://www.sendspace.com/file/9hta3r

The testcard is called DELTA.DAT in the G subfolder. It's a single frame mpeg. 37KB!

There's another hidden code like the one for the testcard. See if you can find it and what it does.