Options

Unfair treatment of Clare Tomlinson

Comments

• Options
    phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    So this thread in the BROADCASTING section is all about a nondescript Sky Sports "presenter" who could not go on a jolly to the Med to watch a pointless football match, because some footballer with no brains gets regular bouts of Tourettes?

Great. :rolleyes:

A Tautology, surely? :D
  • Options
    Digi ManDigi Man Posts: 18,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maccy wrote: »
    However I didn't see the incident so couldn't possibly comment :D
    Same here. The last couple of weeks I've had that much to catch up on, that I decided to fast forward all the talking and just watch the goals, so therefore totally missed the incident. Although I did notice the apology at the start of this past Sundays programme.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    A few years ago Steve Walsh, a former Leicetser City footballer, said the f-word live on-air after realising, err, he was live on-air!
    If I recall it was during the BBC East Midlands Today program.
  • Options
    Hibs-kid-2007Hibs-kid-2007 Posts: 7,954
    Forum Member
    Hang on so Clare Tom and Andy Burton get in trouble for things fair enough with Burton but the so called " irreplaceable" Keys and Andy Gray get let off with everything.

For people that don't know Richard Keys presents Sky Sports Premier League coverage and he was found to have swore on TV although He didn't know he was on tv bad mouthing Scotland.

Type in Richard Keys swears on YouTube and you will find it.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hang on so Clare Tom and Andy Burton get in trouble for things fair enough with Burton but the so called " irreplaceable" Keys and Andy Gray get let off with everything.

For people that don't know Richard Keys presents Sky Sports Premier League coverage and he was found to have swore on TV although He didn't know he was on tv bad mouthing Scotland.

''He didn't know he was on TV'':confused:first rule of broadcasting - if you're in a studio ALWAYS assume the mic is live, there are many ex-broadcasters around who can testify to that
  • Options
    SteveMartinSteveMartin Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    ''He didn't know he was on TV'':confused:first rule of broadcasting - if you're in a studio ALWAYS assume the mic is live, there are many ex-broadcasters around who can testify to that

Yep. Ron Atkinson can definitely testify to that:)
  • Options
    LawrenceteroLawrencetero Posts: 3,765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Charles Sale is right and she cancelled her trip to cyprus to see spurs over the bywater incident I think it is really poor. It's not her fault he mouthed off and to blame her is wrong. The producers who apparently stayed silent are at fault.

this has to be the best thread i have read on here for ages!
    Clare can neither confirm nor deny that Bryan is a tireless midfield workhorse with an incredible engine

sheer brilliance!

did not see this but after reading this thread (mostly through tears of laughter) i wish i had.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In some ways it is her fault as an interviewer is not just there to ask questions but to "handle" the guest. Clare Tomlinson should be as responsible for such incidents on her show as Chris Moyles would be for his breakfast show on Radio 1.

That said I hope this isn't going to be the rope used to place a noose around her neck by those sexist elements who somehow think that women shouldn't be on TV much less presenting sports. I don't understand why Clare Tomlinson is singled out in this instance when Chris Kamara was also apparently present? If anything Chris Kamara should've been the one to be straight on Bywater's back as he has made the transition from professional footballer to being in front of the camera and has an understanding on the standards expected of both presenters and guests.

I still don't understand why self-respecting broadcasters continue to do live transmissions without 10 second delays and killswitches to filter out such language.
  • Options
    SteveMartinSteveMartin Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see what all the fuss is about.

You hear similar language at virtually every live match televised, and Sky do show quite a few.

Do Sky make any apologies for the bad language broadcast on Super Sunday?
  • Options
    SiriusSirius Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If someone swears live on air as a presenter you should know to apologise to viewers instantly.

By the book, no fuss.

When Mark Webber swore in his interview with Louise Goodman on ITV during the Japanese GP James Allen immediately apologised for the language used.
  • Options
    Jaydee409Jaydee409 Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    I think it's like on the radio phone-ins where the presenter is the "editor" and assumes responsibility on behalf of the station for what is broadcast. Hence they must take immediate steps to distance themselves from any breach of broadcasting rules. If they do not, then the station could well be up before the beaks. No wonder they take it seriously, but also it begs the previous poster's question; why not use a 7-second delay like the radio?
  • Options
    Fox MulderFox Mulder Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

richard keys is he the guy with more hair than a group of gorillas put together, if so then i pity his wife sleeping with him
  • Options
    horsepillshorsepills Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fox Mulder wrote: »
    richard keys is he the guy with more hair than a group of gorillas put together, if so then i pity his wife sleeping with him

How nice. If brains were dynamite, you wouldn't have enough to blow the kneecap off a flea. Generally, there is nothing wrong with having nothing worthwhile to say - unless you insist on saying it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was supposed to be good professionalism to not be thrown by something unexpected and to carry on regardless.

If an apology was required, the producer should have told them. Otherwise they should get on and do their jobs.
  • Options
    JudioJudio Posts: 11,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/columnists/columnists.html?in_article_id=487413&in_page_id=1951

Clare Tomlinson, one of the most prominent women football broadcasters, has become the lastest casualty of the Stephen Bywater C-word incident on Sky Sports.

Tomlinson, who was scheduled to present last night's England Under 21 match against Montenegro at Leicester, has been signed off work on medical grounds for an expected two months due to stress and depression.

Sky Sports have made it clear that Tomlinson had not been sacked or disciplined for her part in the Bywater fiasco, but her illness follows the turmoil surrounding Sky's major inquest into the Goals on Sunday programme when the Derby goalkeeper's obscenity occurred.

Tomlinson was hosting the Sunday review of the Premiership action with Chris Kamara when guest Bywater's C-word was allowed to pass without comment or any apology, one which was finally given to viewers the following week.

The fall-out that ensued saw Tomlinson having to cancel a trip to watch Spurs in Cyprus to attend a meeting with head of sport Vic Wakeling.

Afterwards, however, it seemed that the Goals on Sunday producer Nigel Dean, who has been switched to Football First, would be made the scapegoat.

But Tomlinson's resulting health problems now make it doubtful whether she will return to her high-profile football role at Sky. Paul Boardman, son of comedian Stan, will temporarily be taking over Tomlinson's Goals on Sunday role.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,174
    Forum Member
    Something as small as that leads to something as big as this? Maybe her career's in ruins now.
  • Options
    red16vred16v Posts: 2,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    I didn't see it either so can't comment other than to say it looks from Wakeling's reaction as if his ire is directed at the way she did not react to the obscenities whereas the standard procedure for any presenter is to condemn them at once and apologise, suggesting a degree of inexperience.Sounds like one for OFCOM:sleep:

Spot on.
  • Options
    david04121980david04121980 Posts: 2,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something as small as that leads to something as big as this? Maybe her career's in ruins now.

or a move to setanta sports a poss?
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judio wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/columnists/columnists.html?in_article_id=487413&in_page_id=1951

Clare Tomlinson, one of the most prominent women football broadcasters, has become the lastest casualty of the Stephen Bywater C-word incident on Sky Sports.

Tomlinson, who was scheduled to present last night's England Under 21 match against Montenegro at Leicester, has been signed off work on medical grounds for an expected two months due to stress and depression.

Sky Sports have made it clear that Tomlinson had not been sacked or disciplined for her part in the Bywater fiasco, but her illness follows the turmoil surrounding Sky's major inquest into the Goals on Sunday programme when the Derby goalkeeper's obscenity occurred.

Tomlinson was hosting the Sunday review of the Premiership action with Chris Kamara when guest Bywater's C-word was allowed to pass without comment or any apology, one which was finally given to viewers the following week.

The fall-out that ensued saw Tomlinson having to cancel a trip to watch Spurs in Cyprus to attend a meeting with head of sport Vic Wakeling.

Afterwards, however, it seemed that the Goals on Sunday producer Nigel Dean, who has been switched to Football First, would be made the scapegoat.

But Tomlinson's resulting health problems now make it doubtful whether she will return to her high-profile football role at Sky. Paul Boardman, son of comedian Stan, will temporarily be taking over Tomlinson's Goals on Sunday role.

Where's the bit about Bywater being banned from appearing on Sky - other than in recorded form - which is the least one would expect from Sky management.I remember the BBC moved quickly to ban Ken Bates when he started spouting four-letter words on Radio Leeds,in fact I think he's still banned from appearing live.
  • Options
    COTTONHEATCOTTONHEAT Posts: 12,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    who do u think will get claire's role on there champion's league coverage
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Bottom line is Bywater made a mistake. Tomlinson, without her coaching badges, unlike Kamara, didn't jump on it. Let's face it, she's not the eye candy she was. Some people just turn away from the pretties overnight. This was a perfect opportunity for Wakelin and co to move on someone who wasn't as young as she was. Sad fact of life because Sky believes that's what we want, and have focus groups to support it. She may be great at her job, but when she looks in the mirror, she must know the game's almost up. Shame because I liked her, but I guess I'll be liking the next sort even more. She won't be signing on for a while yet I guess.
  • Options
    bhoy07bhoy07 Posts: 25,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bottom line is Bywater made a mistake. Tomlinson, without her coaching badges, unlike Kamara, didn't jump on it. Let's face it, she's not the eye candy she was. Some people just turn away from the pretties overnight. This was a perfect opportunity for Wakelin and co to move on someone who wasn't as young as she was. Sad fact of life because Sky believes that's what we want, and have focus groups to support it. She may be great at her job, but when she looks in the mirror, she must know the game's almost up. Shame because I liked her, but I guess I'll be liking the next sort even more. She won't be signing on for a while yet I guess.

She was presenting sky sports news for a couple of hours last week if I remember right it was between 10-12 cant remember the day though
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's face it, she's not the eye candy she was.

She may be great at her job, but when she looks in the mirror, she must know the game's almost up.
    What an incredibly nasty first post from a new FM.

Would you care to post a photo of yourself, superchelsea, so we can see what you look like?
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The truth is often nasty.

Most people prefer a pleasant lie, or political correctness as it's usually known.
  • Options
    trec123trec123 Posts: 4,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slightly off topic, but what happened to Rob McCaffrey?