Options

Gemstar, Hmmmm!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
Forum Member
What a load of twoddle, in fact I don't even understand what this case waas about, could someone please help explain it?

Also, I have noticed that its owned 41% by Newscorp but their selling their shares to macrovision, so maybe Newscorp is trying to sue before they sell up! :)

Comments

• Options
    Chris123Chris123 Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also don't understand what it's about.

Did a Google News search to see if any light could be shed on it but still don't get it.

If I'm right our TV guide is made by Gemstar. Virgin have a licence to use the Gemstar software. Gemstar are not happy that their software is able to record a channel on a Virgin box.

Have I read it wrong? :confused:
  • Options
    DieDieMyDarlingDieDieMyDarling Posts: 4,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds (from Chris123s summary) as if VM might have broken (or maybe bent) the licensing agreement of how the software can be used/changed?
    From the DS article, it sounds like Gemstar weren't happy with something, went to VM about it and demanded more money, possibly because of the breach (in their eyes), to which VM wouldn't give them what they wanted, so they threatened to sue, thinking VM would then give in and pay up. However, it looks like VM have called their bluff and are willing to fight it in the courts. It'll probably come to nothing, ending in an out of court settlement, when Gemstar realise they can't rely on a win in court.
  • Options
    OLD BOYOLD BOY Posts: 2,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit, when I saw it was part owned by News Corporation, I began to smell a rat...!
  • Options
    orangeballoonorangeballoon Posts: 10,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why the hell would anyone want to admit to having something in common with the virgin "no programme information" epg!
  • Options
    grabbigrabbi Posts: 5,428
    Forum Member
    Yea. The News Corp. thing smells fishy.

lol. But yea, it is always saying no program Info, but if its their patent, then they will always sue.

Its something to do with the way programs are recorded/set to record.

The pettyness of these companies, it probably means Virgin changed the colour red. :P
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont know much about this gemstar thing but from what I have read on a quick skim throught the article it sounds similar to when BT claimed ownership of hyperlinks on all webpages :D

Proof I didnt make that up:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/06/21/ruling_on_bt_hyperlink_patent/

It would be like the scientist who discovered humans need oxgen to successfully live and breath, Then patenting oxygen and breathing and then charging us to do it.
  • Options
    welshblobwelshblob Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reading some reports including this one;

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/24/tvguide_virgin_media/

I can't seem to find those patents listed on the UK patents site. But I get the impression Gemstar have patented basic functions to do with EPG's. For example one the developers of the topuptv PVR box said that they couldn't implement the "click a button to view programme synopsis" function because it was patented by Gemstar and I assume topup didn't\couldn't pay to use it.

So as far as I'm concerned Gemstar are trolls who are responsible for limiting the development and functionality of many PVR's from those companies that can't afford the license or court costs.

Go get em Virgin

Rob
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did a little search on the US patent site for the fun of it and i came accross this a couple of links (click me) dont know much about all this but i would say the second on looks like it......
  • Options
    xyphicxyphic Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    welshblob wrote: »
    So as far as I'm concerned Gemstar are trolls who are responsible for limiting the development and functionality of many PVR's from those companies that can't afford the license or court costs.

Go get em Virgin
    Agreed. I have no problem with Gemstar producing and selling products. But I do have a problem with them being allowed to own a patent or set of patents that effectively removes *any* competition from the market. If they feel their position is being challenged, they can simply refuse to license that technology. Or license it for huge cost. It's a messed up system that allowed that to happen in the first place.

It'll be interesting to see what happens if this makes it to court. Either VM believe the Gemstar patents do not apply, or they don't think they'll hold up under scrutiny of the law. (Or they have completely a completely inept legal team!)
  • Options
    zantarouszantarous Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reading some reports including this one;

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/24/tvguide_virgin_media/

I can't seem to find those patents listed on the UK patents site. But I get the impression Gemstar have patented basic functions to do with EPG's. For example one the developers of the topuptv PVR box said that they couldn't implement the "click a button to view programme synopsis" function because it was patented by Gemstar and I assume topup didn't\couldn't pay to use it.

Go get em Virgin

Rob

What are you kidding me. You can patent stuff like that! That is just silly and really hope that Virgin win this one as you are right it really does limit the development of EPG software.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xyphic wrote: »
    Agreed. I have no problem with Gemstar producing and selling products. But I do have a problem with them being allowed to own a patent or set of patents that effectively removes *any* competition from the market.

Patents only last for a set period of time.

If your salary was paid by this company you would sing a different song as well.
    Patents exsist for very important reasons.

It's up to the courts to decide which party is right.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    probably an element of sabre rattling

probably an element of a certain individual using it to keep VM in as many court cases/ consultations/reviews etc as themselves

As for VM statement at the end

We have been advised by our external counsel that the case is without merit and we will defend it vigorously."

Are Sky lawyers now working for VM and is there not an issue of conflict of interest. heard those exact words before somewhere :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is wrong with somebody defending their patent or wanting reward for somebody else using it?
    We may take the functionality of current EPGs for granted, but i'm sure we can all remember when they didn't work as they do now, and when they didn't exist at all.
    Somebody had to work to develop them, and there is a lot of work behind the functionality of highlighting the name of a programme and then pressing a button to record it...
    Without seeing the actual claim, it sounds like Virgin (or predecessors) payed Gemstar for the EPG code, fair enough, but then added to it for the V+ recording. Gemstar probably have a more expensive product available which includes the code to allow the recording and think Virgin should have payed for that...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why pick on Virgin Media's EPG and not the plethora of Freeview ones? Some of those are identical to the gemstar stuff I've seen.
    Gemstar EPGs I've seen in the US are shoddy pieces of software, slower than VM's and even more prone to locking up. Murdoch doesn't flog companies doing well - strikes me as a company making desperate efforts rather than one that will cause any serious legal trouble to VM.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nialli wrote: »
    Why pick on Virgin Media's EPG and not the plethora of Freeview ones? Some of those are identical to the gemstar stuff I've seen.
    Gemstar EPGs I've seen in the US are shoddy pieces of software, slower than VM's and even more prone to locking up. Murdoch doesn't flog companies doing well - strikes me as a company making desperate efforts rather than one that will cause any serious legal trouble to VM.

Maybe that is also a factor. An opportunity for additional income or a court case victory may nicely enhance the price
  • Options
    RichardReesRichardRees Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a few of the manufacturers of Freeview equipment do have agreements with Gemstar, e.g. Sony.
  • Options
    welshblobwelshblob Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why pick on Virgin Media's EPG and not the plethora of Freeview ones?

I expect because they see Virgin as being a large company with deep pockets. Whereas a court case against many of the small freeview PVR manufacturers would just end up with those companies going bankrupt.
    What is wrong with somebody defending their patent or wanting reward for somebody else using it?
    Somebody had to work to develop them, and there is a lot of work behind the functionality of highlighting the name of a programme and then pressing a button to record it...
    Without seeing the actual claim, it sounds like Virgin (or predecessors) payed Gemstar for the EPG code, fair enough, but then added to it for the V+ recording. Gemstar probably have a more expensive product available which includes the code to allow the recording and think Virgin should have payed for that...

I don't have any problem with valid patents or copyright. If someone is using your code or has breached legitimate patents then you have a right to go after them. What I'm saying is that, in the case of topup tv the developer said that they weren't allowed to implement a function of pressing a button to pop up a programme synopsis in an EPG. I got the impression that it didn't matter how you implemented your code it was the function Gemstar had patented which I think is wrong.

I don't know the specifics of the Virgin case myself but if Virgin had the right to change the code and implement other functionality then I see that as ok. Or maybe the right to change the code limits them to excluding functionality provided by other Gemstar software. However this could also be Gemstar having patented things like click a button to record a programme from an EPG. As I said I don't know the specifics but would like to.

Regards
    Rob
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,503
    Forum Member
    I expect because they see Virgin as being a large company with deep pockets.

They would be very much mistaken! :D
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    zantarous wrote: »
    What are you kidding me. You can patent stuff like that! That is just silly and really hope that Virgin win this one as you are right it really does limit the development of EPG software.

In the US you can patent a programme in the UK you cannot. The EU were thinking of allowing the patenting of software until us freelance developers raised merry hell and they realised what a pile of dogs do that was.
  • Options
    stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    fromr eading this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/jan/24/television.virginmedia?gusrc=rss&feed=media

it suggests that Vm are being sued due to having extra interactive programme guides (im thinking the VOD bit here, or virgin central), and the way virgin tell how the box records from the epg, if its the same as how sky do it, then i can only think of it at a hardware level, V+ has 3 tuners doesnt it? probbaly the gemstar patents only allow for 2 tuners.... just a thought here.

sky can't leave virgin alone can they? so they resort to side sniping by using gemstar.

[sarcasm]murdoch: "ahh yes lets cripple their ability to record from the epg, and then the 3 tuner pvr becomes useless, gemstar! you know what you've gotta do!"[/sarcasm]
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fromr eading this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/jan/24/television.virginmedia?gusrc=rss&feed=media

it suggests that Vm are being sued due to having extra interactive programme guides (im thinking the VOD bit here, or virgin central), and the way virgin tell how the box records from the epg, if its the same as how sky do it, then i can only think of it at a hardware level, V+ has 3 tuners doesnt it? probbaly the gemstar patents only allow for 2 tuners.... just a thought here.

sky can't leave virgin alone can they? so they resort to side sniping by using gemstar.

[sarcasm]murdoch: "ahh yes lets cripple their ability to record from the epg, and then the 3 tuner pvr becomes useless, gemstar! you know what you've gotta do!"[/sarcasm]

Either VM have breached the terms of the license, in which case they're guilty and Newscorp/Gemstar are legit in doing what they are doing, OR VM haven't done anything wrong and no harm will come to them. It's pretty simple, and doesn't need conspiracy theories and the like.
  • Options
    stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    Either VM have breached the terms of the license, in which case they're guilty and Newscorp/Gemstar are legit in doing what they are doing, OR VM haven't done anything wrong and no harm will come to them. It's pretty simple, and doesn't need conspiracy theories and the like.

its not consiracy theories - we just DONT know EXACTLY what vm has done wrong - im just pointing out a few points. whats wrong with that.?

i suppose you would know comming from a sky user, heck I have been with vm since the tron days, so i do know the company fairly well ya know?

theres always one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its not consiracy theories - we just DONT know EXACTLY what vm has done wrong - im just pointing out a few points. whats wrong with that.?

i suppose you would know comming from a sky user, heck I have been with vm since the tron days, so i do know the company fairly well ya know?

theres always one.

I'm actually a Sky AND VM customer, not that it actually makes any difference, as unlike you i'm not privvy to the company secrets and the latest information on their court cases, maybe it's because i've only been with them for about 8 years, unlike your being with them since the tron days. :rolleyes: