Options

Soap Actors Who Smoke But Their Characters Don't?

Comments

• Options
    OrdinaryMorningOrdinaryMorning Posts: 2,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which actors from The Bill smoke in real life? Anyone know.

I know June Ackland does, I saw a pic of her having a **** whislt on a filming break last year.

Lisa Maxwell gave up smoking a few years ago.
  • Options
    HippysteHippyste Posts: 1,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone smoke in the Bill? I don't think I've ever seen a character light up...
  • Options
    DickGherkinDickGherkin Posts: 1,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hippyste wrote:
    Does anyone smoke in the Bill? I don't think I've ever seen a character light up...

In the old days characters did smoke quite frequently. I should imagine the reason they don't now is because smoking is banned in most workplaces in real life and they are trying to reflect this in The Bill.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote:
    Deirdre was smoking in Corrie in the mid-70's, 30 years ago!

Yes but it was permissable to smoke on TV in the 1970s. She hasn't smoked since then up until recently.
  • Options
    Simon JacksonSimon Jackson Posts: 8,687
    Forum Member
    I have seen Lacey Turner, Laurie Brett (Jane) and Melissa Sutfield (Lucy) lighting up recently
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lulubelle wrote: »
    oops Tina O'Brien
    And you wonder why she still looks 13? :mad:
    Melissa Sutfield (Lucy) lighting up recently
    She can't be what, any older than 13/14? Not having her contract renewed would provide her with a good incentive to give up while she still can.
  • Options
    Jessica.RabbitJessica.Rabbit Posts: 480
    Forum Member
    I have seen Lacey Turner, Laurie Brett (Jane) and Melissa Sutfield (Lucy) lighting up recently

Lucy beale? Where was this?
  • Options
    EEfan24EEfan24 Posts: 2,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jo Joyner used to smoke (in real life and on No Angels), but she's given up now I think
  • Options
    EEfan24EEfan24 Posts: 2,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GH Online wrote: »
    And you wonder why she still looks 13? :mad:

She can't be what, any older than 13/14? Not having her contract renewed would provide her with a good incentive to give up while she still can.

Is she not having her contract renewed?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 441
    Forum Member
    Rita Simons smokes cos on Friday night with Jonothan Ross Sam said her dressing room stink of cigarette smoke and Rita was lie Noooo i don't smoke in there!! Lol
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeh what's this with Lucy????

What about actors who don't smoke but have had a scene where they have - surely this has happened if the actor said it was ok? Aren't there cigarettes that don't contain nicotine that can be used?
  • Options
    ThaGazBoiThaGazBoi Posts: 15,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lacey Turner (EE), Jamie Lomas (HO) and James Sutton (HO) are the ones I know off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does lacey turner smoke? :O
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EEfan24 wrote: »
    Is she not having her contract renewed?
    Why was my original reply to this point removed?
  • Options
    Rob22Rob22 Posts: 11,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe Wendy Richard is a smoker in real life

but her character of Pauline wasn't
  • Options
    monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 57,003
    Forum Member
    I'm pretty sure Rob Kazinsky does (though i could be wrong) cos at NTA's they all go out for a smoke and rob was coming out a few times. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would consider it entirely appropriate that when a child actor joins the soap (ie. under 16), it is made a basic clause in their contract that if they smoke or are seen smoking it's a sackable offence. The same clause should also apply to older young actors depending on their stature in the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would consider it entirely appropriate that when a child actor joins the soap (ie. under 16), it is made a basic clause in their contract that if they smoke or are seen smoking it's a sackable offence. The same clause should also apply to older young actors depending on their stature in the show.

Why is smoking a sackable offence??

Jay smokes...surely he's only 12ish?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Why is smoking a sackable offence??

Jay smokes...surely he's only 12ish?
    These young actors are role models, that's why, and soap bosses are in loco parentis to them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rob22 wrote: »
    I believe Wendy Richard is a smoker in real life

but her character of Pauline wasn't

Pauline did smoke in early EE, and in recent years we saw her smoking when she was stressed or something bad happened.. not often though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    These young actors are role models, that's why, and soap bosses are in loco parentis to them.

Even the older actors???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The older actors are adults. The child actors are exactly that and it's up the the soap bosses to help them make the right lifestyle choices.

It might be seen as undermining efforts to cut youth smoking if known teenage smokers are seemingly rewarded with parts in EastEnders (Melissa Suffield) or chart success (Billie Piper).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah Rita Simons/Roxy Mitchell smokes she said in her interview with J ross, well Sam Janus did when asked about their dressing rooms Sam said yours Stinks of cigarette smoke and Rita said with gritted teeth I dont smoke in there to which Sam replyed Oh sorry. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    does Melissa smoke?
    does Lacey smoke 2?
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ThaGazBoi wrote: »
    Lacey Turner (EE), Jamie Lomas (HO) and James Sutton (HO) are the ones I know off.

I won't be able to look at the two J's in the same light!