Options

super size vs super skinny

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has Gillian McKeith got a bit of a hunch back or is it my eyes?

It's not your eyes, she's suffered from scolosis since she was 12 and does have a curvature of the spine.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2099-1647178,00.html
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's actually irresponsible to put Gillian McKeith on the TV. Her being on the TV with her fake qualifications gives the impression that she knows what she's talking about.

That said, I find it hard to believe that people would want to follow her diets. She's hardly a walking example of good health, is she? She looks like she was dried, and reconstituted but without enough water.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clonion wrote: »
    I think it's actually irresponsible to put Gillian McKeith on the TV. Her being on the TV with her fake qualifications gives the impression that she knows what she's talking about.

That said, I find it hard to believe that people would want to follow her diets. She's hardly a walking example of good health, is she? She looks like she was dried, and reconstituted but without enough water.

I know, she is hardly a shining example of health and beauty- she looks bloody awful and at least ten years older than her actual age! Why would you want to follow any advice from her if you end up looking like a scrawny dried up old prune?!
  • Options
    Lush_LolaLush_Lola Posts: 4,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would of been much better if they'd put them on a healthy diet. and the way they were cutting to different segmants was annoying.
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Quite right.

Not only are her "qualifications" dicey, but you only have to look at the woman to see she isn't exactly a picture of health herself.

Most people I know wouldn't eat the stuff she recommends but still look far healthier than this pasty, shrivelled, scrawny individual.
  • Options
    MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sloopy wrote: »
    Quite right.

Not only are her "qualifications" dicey, but you only have to look at the woman to see she isn't exactly a picture of health herself.

Most people I know wouldn't eat the stuff she recommends but still look far healthier than this pasty, shrivelled, scrawny individual.

Yeh - some of these articles make interesting reading (especially the first one from about the 11th paragraph onwards)

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/foodmonthly/story/0,,1501833,00.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2004/sep/30/badscience.research

http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/badscience/story/0,12980,1285600,00.html
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting reading, if there were a petition to ban this horrible thing off our televisions i would sign it. How stupid is she to think that the way to help people eat better is to bully and humiliate them, be rude, question their hygeine (i remember seeing an episode where she stayed at a womans house and took a sleeping bag as she didnt want to touch the womans sheets for fear of dirt), then making people eat tasteless shite and sit in baths of chocolate and show them coffins made of sweets etc etc, shes a sadistic old witch who looks like she has been dead for years, nasty cow :(.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The whole thing was pointless. Two people with bad diets spend a week eating a different bad diet to their usual one!

Only a passing attempt was made to understand the reasons behind their behaviour, and it didn't go anywhere. Contrast that to Spendaholics or How To Look Good Naked where understanding the person and helping them get their confidence back is so important.

And I can't stand McKeith. I had to fast forward over the sections with her.

The fad diet segment told us nothing that we didn't already know, i.e. fad diets are bad and models are too thin.

Won't bother watching again!

I watched it from morbid curiosity and if I'd known Mrs McPoo was going to be in it I wouldn't have sky plussed it. I cannot BEAR that woman!!!! :eek:

The programme logic was flawed. You think that giving a food-phobe an enormous amount to eat and a compulsive eater a sparrow's diet will help in the long term? No, of course not. I won't bother with it again either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She looks like she was dried, and reconstituted but without enough water.

:D I love that quote....may have to use it myself!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Hi - hope you don't mind the post... thought it might be of interest

If you want to get your voice heard about Supersize vs Superskinny, then we want to hear what you have to say on Channel 4's The TV Show.

Email thetvshow@princesstv.com to get involved
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Axe it now - that's what I have to say about it. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    I have been reading this blog, they have comments from some of the ladies that appeared in the show

http://myweightlossdiary.co.uk/channel-4-does-it-again/

Interesing reading
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cogb wrote: »
    Hi - hope you don't mind the post... thought it might be of interest

If you want to get your voice heard about Supersize vs Superskinny, then we want to hear what you have to say on Channel 4's The TV Show.

Email thetvshow@princesstv.com to get involved

It was dangerous rubbish and should be axed - that is what I have to say.
  • Options
    crystal_methcrystal_meth Posts: 8,379
    Forum Member
    It was dangerous rubbish and should be axed - that is what I have to say.

What The Pru said counts for me too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate this show, the concept is dangerous and the pople taking part obviously have issues with food - putting them on extreme diets will just add to these issues.

Plus Gillian McKieth ?!!?! Ban big bums? excuuuuse me but i am a size 8-10 and am proud of my shapely bum :-) I'd much rather be working with what i was given than a flat pancake ass like Mrs.McKieth. miaw i know!! but i really dislike her and think she is sending out a bad message. As long as you are a healthy weight then it doesnt matter what shape or size you are and some people are built differently than others.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate this show, the concept is dangerous and the pople taking part obviously have issues with food - putting them on extreme diets will just add to these issues.

Plus Gillian McKieth ?!!?! Ban big bums? excuuuuse me but i am a size 8-10 and am proud of my shapely bum :-) I'd much rather be working with what i was given than a flat pancake ass like Mrs.McKieth. miaw i know!! but i really dislike her and think she is sending out a bad message. As long as you are a healthy weight then it doesnt matter what shape or size you are and some people are built differently than others.

I don't understand how that McKieth woman STILL gets work. She's hardly a shining endorsement of health in the looks department - she reminds me of a prune.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she-hulk wrote: »
    I don't understand how that McKieth woman STILL gets work. She's hardly a shining endorsement of health in the looks department - she reminds me of a prune.

exactly, i know she cant help her spine but that aside, she looks shrivelled and unhealthy.
  • Options
    Lush_LolaLush_Lola Posts: 4,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the most stupidest show!
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    McKeith is a ghastly, humourless harridan who makes her point by humiliating and being vile, insulting and rude to her victims.

She is not a doctor, she is a shrivelled up, wizened old hag who talks what she regularly assesses in tupperware boxes - complete s**t. This woman is dangerous and an affront to my eyes and should be banished from the UK immediately and sent to live in an Adzuki Bean forest in Timbucktu. Or something. Anyway, I loathe and detest her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've always thought the same thing. Why is this woman all over the box telling us what to do. Mind you, most "experts" seem to be anything but these days.

I refuse to watch anything with this awful woman. Her whole attitude is one I find very disturbing and unpleasent. I wish she'd go away.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supervixen wrote: »
    :D I love that quote....may have to use it myself!

Feel free! Glad it amused!
    Time Lady wrote: »
    I've always thought the same thing. Why is this woman all over the box telling us what to do. Mind you, most "experts" seem to be anything but these days.

I refuse to watch anything with this awful woman. Her whole attitude is one I find very disturbing and unpleasent. I wish she'd go away.

My sister is a dietician and cannot condone her one little bit. Maybe its very paternalistic of me, but I think that if you are going to have 'experts' advising on aspects of health, then they have to be bona fide experts. McKeith is anything but - she has bought her degree and has had to stop using the title 'Dr' - i.e., something that could fool people into thinking she knew what she was talking about. There is a fabulous blog written by a doctor which looks at science in the media, and has constantly disproven her claims. There is no evidence at all. But sadly, enough people seem to be taken in by her for her to continue on our screens.
  • Options
    Melanie858Melanie858 Posts: 3,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this show is ridiculous! I don't understand why they make the fat and thin people swap diets when they are equally unhealthy and it acheives nothing! Why can't they just put them both on a healthy diet from the start and show us the healthy diet and ow they cope with it - then they could compare how much the fat person loses and the thin person gains?

And get rid of Gillian McKeith!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gillian is a bleep, she was awfully rude to that made who made the comment about wanting to start a diet. What kind of motivation is that to offer someone?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,336
    Forum Member
    I think the investigative journalist testing weight loss methods looks really good - especially when compared to the liposuction woman whose stomach tissue seemed to be necrotizing

Normal diet and exercise plan seems to be the way forward but it's one of the first programmes to highlight the health hazards of being skinny as well as fat and so I applaud that aspect
  • Options
    duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone actually recommended this show to me and I have no idea why. It was full of cod science and nothing was followed through to any learnable conclusion.

A woman who virtually had an eating phobia was faced with the pointless, if not dangerous, task of eating a 400lb man's lousy, fatty diet - while he had to eat her starvation portions when he should have been learning how to eat properly - why? If she was likely to be turned off food completely this seemed like a good way to start.

People in the street were asked to guess the calories in 3 dishes and the recommendation from the show appeared to be eat Cornish pasties for lunch rather than grilled chicken or salad. That is bad advice unless it is explained what was in each dish. What was in the salad dressing that made it more calorific than pastry? We weren't told, but it couldn't have been the chicken.

And what was that whole thing about you can lose centimetres off your waist and hips with a stomach massage followed by a large dump? You would put this back on the first time you ate or drank. The woman doing the measuring was not an objective tester but the person selling the concept - her measurements should have been examined because they were, frankly, unbelievable.