Options

Anyone still on Analogue Cable?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    at £57 a month for 35 analogue channels! well, i'm very happy for him if he is, but his later posts suggest not quite.

Well I was joking, didn't you see the two smileys which were indicating that. :D
  • Options
    stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    can't you, like, put up a dish?

Easily said than done.

I have a dish - its strapped to the chimney and stuck on a loooong pole, but can i recieve sky? nope! tall trees on private land opposite prevent the signal from comming through. the owner wont cut em down either. and no-one wants to get up there to remove it either!

the only 3 satellites i can pickup are Hotbird 13E, eutelsat at 16E and astra1 at 19E if theres no leaves on the tree. :D
  • Options
    rhodgreenrhodgreen Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    can't you, like, put up a dish?

It's actually in our house deeds that we are not allowed to erect an external aerial or satellite dish - hence the whole new development came NTL prewired - little did we know that digital is just around the corner 4 years ago meant we would still be waiting in 2008! Sky+ works well though :)!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,226
    Forum Member
    stehayn wrote: »
    Well I was joking, didn't you see the two smileys which were indicating that. :D

a "rolleyes" smiley indicates quite the opposite!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,226
    Forum Member
    rhodgreen wrote: »
    It's actually in our house deeds that we are not allowed to erect an external aerial or satellite dish - hence the whole new development came NTL prewired - little did we know that digital is just around the corner 4 years ago meant we would still be waiting in 2008! Sky+ works well though :)!

Yeah, i'm not allowed one either, my house is listed.

It works very nicely on a pole in my garden though!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    rhodgreen wrote: »
    It can be right - as it is the case here.
    I've had broadband since 2004 - according to the engineers, the signals are lower down the band for BB, the old green boxes in the street need new amps that can accommodate the full spectrum and hence all of dig tv - hence there are areas that can have BB but not digi tv!! Until recently we were missing the top three frequencies the set top boxes use, but BB doesn't need (hope this makes sense!).

Hi all, newbie here, just browsing through

thought i would ask any of you experts out there (and it seems like it is true) if my broadband with VM is actually analogue, I live in West End, Southampton and had broadband and telephone installed about a year ago and thought i had to digital if i was connected to the quite new looking green box across the road and had Broadband as with previous ADSL broadband, my line had to be changed or 'switched' to digital at the exchange in order to be able to obtain broadband over BT line, I now have no BT line of course

when i go on the VM website it says i'm not in the digital area so i phones them up to say 'ere, whats with the £4.50/month, i'm paying £18!!!!....the woman just kept saying i was in an analogue area and the offers are only available in fully digital area...how frustrating!!!!!

please can someone enlighten me

ps...have read about the 'transistors' of whatever they are in the green boxes needing to be updated or some such, the question is why ain't they doing it???? apart from of course all the time i'm 'analogue' and paying £18/mth, why would they wanna upgrade my line and me pay less???

thanks in anticipation

pps...sorry if i sound a bit thick
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    kevrev wrote: »

thought i would ask any of you experts out there (and it seems like it is true) if my broadband with VM is actually analogue, I live in West End, Southampton and had broadband and telephone installed about a year ago and thought i had to digital if i was connected to the quite new looking green box across the road and had Broadband as with previous ADSL broadband, my line had to be changed or 'switched' to digital at the exchange in order to be able to obtain broadband over BT line, I now have no BT line of course

when i go on the VM website it says i'm not in the digital area so i phones them up to say 'ere, whats with the £4.50/month, i'm paying £18!!!!....the woman just kept saying i was in an analogue area and the offers are only available in fully digital area...how frustrating!!!!!

ps...have read about the 'transistors' of whatever they are in the green boxes needing to be updated or some such, the question is why ain't they doing it???? apart from of course all the time i'm 'analogue' and paying £18/mth, why would they wanna upgrade my line and me pay less???

thanks in anticipation

pps...sorry if i sound a bit thick[/QUOT

Hi

I live in the sholing area of southampton and as far as I know I cannot get broadband/digital services (yet). But there has been some extra green boxs slapped on the side of old green boxs in various places around southampton east for what reason I'm not sure but that was late last year. I have not seen any more modifications being done and don't really know when any will be done only what I read on these forums ie pre-summer southampton will be up graded!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyone else noticed that this national thread seems to be centered around us lot in Southampton?!
    I'm still curious if its a coincidence that the full digital signal coming through was timmed perfectly with Eastleigh having a 4h electricity blackout one night - followed by NTL/VM phones not working - cause and effect???!!
  • Options
    Forum Member

thanks in anticipation

pps...sorry if i sound a bit thick

lol i live in west end.

where bouts are you based? I live near the rosebowl (actually up telegraph)

been analogue a while now. I agree tho one of the longest going customers yet were the last to be upgraded. nice aint it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    lol i live in west end.

where bouts are you based? I live near the rosebowl (actually up telegraph)

been analogue a while now. I agree tho one of the longest going customers yet were the last to be upgraded. nice aint it?

I Live off Chalk Hill the other side of the village
    having read a bit more off of this fascinating forum, i feel a bit better now it's not just me and also that others have worse situations :)

maybe VM will be doing something for us scummers by the spring????:cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I Live off Chalk Hill the other side of the village
    having read a bit more off of this fascinating forum, i feel a bit better now it's not just me and also that others have worse situations :)

maybe VM will be doing something for us scummers by the spring????:cry:

hehe, chalk hill eh? yeh basically the main VM feed runs up the high street and swaythling road then channels off to the roads as needed.

i think we will get it eventually, seems theyre doing eastleigh first and following up that feed which will lead to west end as that feed goes all the way to eastleigh if you follow it down swaythling road.

i know that hedge end are on a different network, theyre allready digital.
  • Options
    NEWLINEtvNEWLINEtv Posts: 5,420
    Forum Member
    I remember when we had analogue cable telewest one day we got sticker in post from them to stick on the back of the remote, does anyone remember this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NEWLINEtv wrote: »
    I remember when we had analogue cable telewest one day we got sticker in post from them to stick on the back of the remote, does anyone remember this?

never had it, only thing we ever got from them was the monthly bill :D

they did give us freebies tho via the channels.... like sometimes I had sky movies 1 for the weekend in full. or sky sports.... they did that one weekend when Southampton were playing, we won and dad was really happy. he was in the kitchen on the radio, i was flickign through and found sky sports was on, dad came in as he heard foote sounds, and said "thats saints live isnt it!?", free match. best freebie we got :D

but i do wish theyd hurry up, I want digital, digital wants arsenal tv.. Hi def techies want high def. the bandwith gained from closing analogue will be trumendous! cmon virgin 'urry up!
  • Options
    RozRoz Posts: 1,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    path6336 wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm the following regarding the digital TV offering from VM.

Channels I watch on Analogue are:
    Eurosport, The Box, VH1, Sci-Fi, Animal Planet and UKTV Gold - the rest are mostly rubbish. I also can tape these channels while watching terrestrial analogue or freeview as I have a separate Freeview Box and use that to watch the likes of BBC3 and 4.

I pay 13.50 PCM for this pack and on average watch about one or two hours per day and tape about the same.

Looking at the VM website, to do the same on digital would cost the following:

20.50 PCM for the XL pack includes the channels I watch plus even more rubbish!
    10.00 PCM for the V+ box that allows me to tape a VM channel while watching terrestrial tv.

Is this really true, or are my figures completely out? - If so what a colossal rip-off!

Also, does this mean that I would now have two VM boxes instead of one?

Yeah your figures are off slightly.
    No monthly charge for the V+ box, which is why you pay the install charge.

The XL tv pack includes the On Demand stuff apart from the movies. 1000 music videos to choose from. We love it!!
  • Options
    smitj017smitj017 Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whats the analouge state in the ex telewest west london analouge
  • Options
    NightdeamonNightdeamon Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smitj017 wrote: »
    whats the analouge state in the ex telewest west london analouge

Terrible :D
  • Options
    the power kingthe power king Posts: 896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feell relly sorry for you all stock on Vm Analogue i use to be one of but then i had enough Last yeay affer took off Sky one /sky news and sky moves so wite a letter to the councll to see if i could put Dish no porbel toke saver mouths by last Novmber
    get the all Clee but i deced to watt untll the end of Faburee so
    i coud affod to Bt instilld as wall and ported my old Cable phone over to Bt so if ever we wated to go back we could wiche unlike to say the lest plus keep my number i now hav Sky 4 tv and Bordband and bt 4 the phone and yes i am livein in the Harefeld arey of the city nere Woodland Scholl we use to hava Vm tv Broaband Phone:cool:
  • Options
    the power kingthe power king Posts: 896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rhodgreen wrote:
    It seems things have moved on in Eastleigh (Southampton) - we now have the full digital spectrum (confirmed on a fequency scan and by the engineers) - but as NTL/VM have not yet updated their databases we are still officially analogue (and hence a STB still doesn't work correctly with our account!) - see my thread http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=
    that say it all wen i move house in 2006 thats an Ntl tood me we wea in a Diigital are i Chike we then Ntl Now Vm they isatesde we an analoge only arey:mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feell relly sorry for you all stock on Vm Analogue i use to be one of but then i had enough Last yeay affer took off Sky one /sky news and sky moves so wite a letter to the councll to see if i could put Dish no porbel toke saver mouths by last Novmber
    get the all Clee but i deced to watt untll the end of Faburee so
    i coud affod to Bt instilld as wall and ported my old Cable phone over to Bt so if ever we wated to go back we could wiche unlike to say the lest plus keep my number i now hav Sky 4 tv and Bordband and bt 4 the phone and yes i am livein in the Harefeld arey of the city nere Woodland Scholl we use to hava Vm tv Broaband Phone:cool:

Is it just me, or is this post unreadable to everyone? :confused:
  • Options
    smitj017smitj017 Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

there are others:D
  • Options
    Forum Member

Living near Southampton - I'm used to this way of life!! ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member

anyhow - whilst im in my analogue mode, is there any questions people would like to ask me? feel free, as i know this service inside out.

Hi Stuntmaster, I'm also in an ex Videotron area but sucumbed to Sky Digital many a moon ago.

I occasionally press the button on the VM postcode checker hoping for a miracle but alas nada. Not that worried about the TV side but would love a BB service that is faster than my current 9mb ADSL. It does say on the checker that I can get superfast broadband, any idead what that means?

Many thanks

Bal
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    This will seem like a really dumb question but what's the difference between analogue cable & digital :o??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This will seem like a really dumb question but what's the difference between analogue cable & digital :o??
    One is a useless, over-priced service with a limited channel selection and poor picture quality... and the other is analogue.

Boom boom. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bignoise wrote: »
    One is a useless, over-priced service with a limited channel selection and poor picture quality... and the other is analogue.

Boom boom. :D

Come on, Virgin Media aren't that bad are they? LOL :rolleyes: