Options

Who taught you to cook?

Alleycat666Alleycat666 Posts: 8,739
Forum Member
Did you learn at school/from your mum (or dad;))/teach yourself?

Me - I started making cakes and stuff when very young (pre-school probably), then learnt the basics from my mum and self-taught after that.

My OH was very impressed with the first Sunday Roast that I dished up when we moved in together:) and that I knew how to make a victoria sponge without a recipe book:p.

Anyone else?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Self taught. I come from a long line of dreadful cooks, so hopefully I am breaking that line.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still waiting for someone to teach me :eek: :p
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Self/student taught. Started with the good old stirfry and rice as a student. Literally throwing anything in a wok. Went from there, using inspiration from recipe books and the web.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A combination of my mother, father, school, my OH and Delia Smith:D
  • Options
    dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Domestic Science at school (as it was called then) Many moons ago :) Me mum/nan and aunts. All good basic cooks.:) I really picked up on cooking when I lived with my partner in a one bedroom flat with a tiny belling one plate oven..If you can cook on one of them you can do anything.:D:D
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I taught myself. My first job was grill chef at a Berni Inn but there were only half a dozen items on the menu so not real cooking.
    A couple of years ago I went to college to do an NVQ 2 which was quite useful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in the process of teaching myself - with occasional words of advice from friends, relatives and you lovely people. It's an effort, though!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoy cooking when I have the time, mostly though it's rustling up something after work for the family, although really that too isn't too much of a chore ...

My Mum taught me some things but after my Mum and Dad divorced I was introduced to a whole wide variety of food, my step-mum was so patient and cooked different dishes to my Mum, so I learn't the basics between the 2 of them and then Food and nutrition at school. In fact, I still have all my recipes I cooked at school as Mum suggested I write them in an Alphabet index book for reference, and I still use some of them today!

I also have a friend who has made me more confident about my cooking, even though she does the cooking even when she visits (bless!)

Oh and the great Delia and Good Housekeeping books
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bluespeed wrote: »
    I'm in the process of teaching myself - with occasional words of advice from friends, relatives and you lovely people. It's an effort, though!

Its the most soothing therapy :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its the most soothing therapy every!:)

I'm sure it is once you can actually do it!:) It's the learning curve that I'm struggling with.
  • Options
    QuickbloodQuickblood Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TV Taught me to cook. At one point I was watching 2 hours of Food TV a day, I miss Good Food live :(
    My mother taught me many of the basics but to be honest with you the stuff she cooks is nothing like what I cook.

I also bake and I'm obessed with Deserts which no one I know cooks.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure it is once you can actually do it!:) It's the learning curve that I'm struggling with.

Watch a few saturday kitchens on tv. You'll soon pick it up and be making your own food and recipes up. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

When you cook a bechamel sauce ! Its very soothing...just a good stir and *be patient* :)
  • Options
    MidiboyMidiboy Posts: 8,263
    Forum Member
    I learnt the basics from my mum and sisters and the rest is self taught.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From watching my mum first off, then I took a job as a commis chef in a restaurant with very....actually no experience at all. Changed jobs and went to college to gain my City and Guilds 706-1 & 2 certification. Anything else after that is self taught, like how to make sushi from scratch.
  • Options
    JAMESPEARCE91JAMESPEARCE91 Posts: 3,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I learnt basic skills of mixing etc with my mum when I was little (about 3 - 5)
    Then I did the odd practical of Food Tech at school
    For my GCSEs I took a course in Food and Nutrition, which taught me a lot
    Then I used to assist my mum in teaching food technology at a school during my study leave
    God knows where my creativity comes from though! My mum always says she has no inspiration and idea and my old teachers said I had too much!!

JP
  • Options
    80's chick80's chick Posts: 5,207
    Forum Member
    AWT -Saturday Cooks
    James Martin -Saturday Kitchen
    Jamie Oliver- the naked chef series.

I learnt from the best:D
    My mother is a bad cook, if it wasn't undercooked it was overcooked. She never really taught us how to do anything.

I have picked up everything I know from the above mentioned chefs, It isnt too bad if I dont say so myself, my eldest makes a comment every mealtime, usually' mum this is lovely'.:D.

I will teach my kids how to cook too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 275
    Forum Member
    My Mom taught me a lot of the basics of baking, cooking, and kitchen hygiene... but my Dad taught me to use my imagination. My Dad never used a recipe. He taught me to take risks with cooking--to experiment. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,400
    Forum Member
    Mixture of mum/dad as they are both chefs & myself , at uni its a case of learn or starve.
    Mrs Sheepdog doesnt like to cook ,but when she does its very good.
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mum was the kind of person who would let you start doing something (if asked) then gradually take over until you were left doing nothing. Also a good 'basic' cook of he 1940s/50 type. No idea about things like stir frying, not much (if at all) in the way of herbs and spices and garlic is evil.

I learn't to cook, from neccissity, when I left home.

Various cook books and TV programmes gave me advice but the best ones are from Nigel Slater. Although Jamie Oliver's recent series was good.

I can do a variety of pretty good meals, if I say so myself, now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Self taught, my Mum couldn't bear us around her in the kitchen so she used to give us recipe books, we'd chose what we wanted to cook and she'd go and get the ingredients and leave us to it. If it went wrong we tried again until we got it right but she stayed out of the way unless we asked for help (we never did)

I've done the same with my daughters, the eldest is a great little cook, the youngest wanders off leaving the over on so I'm a little bit more cautious with her!
  • Options
    macca@90macca@90 Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum is a crap cook. When we were growing up we got fed home-made fish and chips, chips and cold meat :eek:, shop-bought steak pie and on a Satuday (while the wrestling was on :rolleyes:) fried egg, bacon and fried pancake. How I am not dead I don't know.

I neved tried curry or pasta until I had my own money and bought it myself. I love cooking now self-taught when I first left home I bought a book called "How To Boil An Egg".

Now with the Internet I have progressed and print off recipes etc. I am not afraid to try anything and make tablet and traybakes to take into work. I have loads of books for ideas.

OH is very good though his Mother taught him to make sauces etc so we share it now. He does risotto and any sauces and just makes up things. I do soups, curries, chilli, stews and stovies. When I tell my parents what we are having for tea they say "Oh I don't fancy that" . Yet they have never tried it :mad:
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum and gran taught me all the traditional things like hotpot, yorkie puds and the likes, the rest was pretty much self taught.

We did cookery in school but we never made anything I didn't already know how to make.
  • Options
    jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mum. And Mrs Foster, my first cookery teacher and then the other cookery teachers whose names I can't remember!

Plus cookbooks. I love cookbooks. I would like a whole room in my house full of cookbooks.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Cookery is all about making love. I taught myself.