Options

New look BBC News website

Comments

• Options
    ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    I miss the [TV][Radio][News] etc links along the top of every page.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think it looks fresh and groovy :cool:
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    One of the main gripes that people have is that they don't have their browsers maximised.

How are the BBC supposed to know that. The easy solution is to work on a % of the browser width but then the same people would come back complaining about the about of vertical scrolling needed.
  • Options
    chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't impress me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    One of the main gripes that people have is that they don't have their browsers maximised.

How are the BBC supposed to know that. The easy solution is to work on a % of the browser width but then the same people would come back complaining about the about of vertical scrolling needed.
    Isn't it a bit dim of them to not assume everyone is multitasking with browsers not maximised? Is Auntie still using DOS or something?
  • Options
    The PhazerThe Phazer Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    Must say, while I was a big fan of the new homepage, I'm not at all keen on the Sport and News refreshes...

The extra space has been used for big gaps rather than more information, and the loss of any background colours makes it hard to pick sections out.

I really think it was time to use the refresh to be a bit smarter about how the site responded to browser size too.

Phazer
  • Options
    GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TeaCosy wrote: »
    Isn't it a bit dim of them to not assume everyone is multitasking with browsers not maximised? Is Auntie still using DOS or something?
    You have a taskbar to switch between windows, you don't need to not have them maximised to swap between different things. And how is that a problem anyway? All you have to do is make the window wider if you don't want to maximise them.
    1024 is not an unreasonable width to use, anything with a fixed page width that is narrower than that is too narrow and leaves too much blank space with it maximised (which most people will have) unless they have an ancient monitor.
    I could see your point if they made it 1680 or something (which would nicely fit my screen), but 1024 will be fine for the vast majority of people.
  • Options
    BallroomBearBallroomBear Posts: 564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The huge colour blocks at the top are unneccesary, the news pages are too white, the font colours too pale, and I don't like the links on the left side of the page for sport, entertainment etc not being colour coded as they were before.

It's all to antiseptically clean and spaced out for my taste.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glen wrote: »
    You have a taskbar to switch between windows, you don't need to not have them maximised to swap between different things.
    You have an archaic way of multitasking Glen :D Much of the time I need to see more than one application at the same time.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    You have a taskbar to switch between windows, you don't need to not have them maximised to swap between different things. And how is that a problem anyway? All you have to do is make the window wider if you don't want to maximise them.
    1024 is not an unreasonable width to use, anything with a fixed page width that is narrower than that is too narrow and leaves too much blank space with it maximised (which most people will have) unless they have an ancient monitor.
    I could see your point if they made it 1680 or something (which would nicely fit my screen), but 1024 will be fine for the vast majority of people.

I don't really understand why it needs to be fixed width anyway :confused:
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    You have an archaic way of multitasking Glen :D Much of the time I need to see more than one application at the same time.

I have my browser/mail client maximised on one screen with my work on the other.....that's not an archaic way of multitasking!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    I have my browser/mail client maximised on one screen with my work on the other.....that's not an archaic way of multitasking!
    That's just showing off :D

Forgot to say the BBC's wonderful web site is one of the few that are really hard work to view using a PSP.

Auntie likes to appear international and available to all. Impoverished people using third-hand VGA's are not going to find the Beeb site very user friendly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's highly illogical.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why fix something that wasn't broken? :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have an archaic way of multitasking Glen :D
    No, I don't, I have one application on one monitor and another on the other monitor.
    Much of the time I need to see more than one application at the same time.
    So do I, so I have one maximised at 1680x1050 and the other at 1280x1024.:p
  • Options
    TerryHTerryH Posts: 1,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nyge72 wrote: »
    Change you WAP setting to low quality. It doesn't bother with pictures and it is much faster.
    Or you could just use the BBC's mobile site which is made, funnily enough, for mobile devices.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,193
    Forum Member
    It's all a bit pastel & wishy washy to my eyes.

There seems to be a lot of white space

I'm assuming the bars down the sides are to cater for people who don't have wide screen VDUs
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anytime anyone changes anything there will be a percentage of people who will hate the change. Come back in a month or so and most of them will have got used to it - but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Personally, I like it. As with most redesigns it could do with a few tweaks (lose the black bar) but change to the news site was inevitable following the recent homepage update.

I also like the new mobile site - it looks great on my Blackberry

"It was so much better in the olden day"... go back in time to see how it looked way back in the late 90s and early 2000s:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.bbc.co.uk
  • Options
    jim_ukjim_uk Posts: 13,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If your serious about multitasking you should have more than one monitor. :p
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pencil wrote: »
    BBC News no longer fits in my browser. Every other website does. I have to maximise the IE window to full screen, which is quite annoying. I have a widescreen monitor.

It's the opposite for me. Usually BBC News takes up about 2/3 of the screen, with a big white band down the side. Now it fills the whole screen. The font needs to be bolder though.

The large image on the BBC homepage looks very good & I love the clock. Shame it's not on the news site.

The worst designed news site is now ITN.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jim_uk wrote: »
    If your serious about multitasking you should have more than one monitor. :p
    Yes, all very well for those that have the room and cash.

Auntie is still out of order to presume anything about anyone's screen sizes and resolutions. It's sad to see the Beeb's formerly high technical standards slipping.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Auntie is still out of order to presume anything about anyone's screen sizes and resolutions. It's sad to see the Beeb's formerly high technical standards slipping.
    So do you suggest they design their website for the benefit of people viewing at 800x600?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So do you suggest they design their website for the benefit of people viewing at 800x600?
    Hmm, well I would suggest you could direct the question to any of the other posters who made the same observations as me for a change. As for the Beeb, they could see what w3.org suggest :)
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where are the messageboards now?

I can't see a link. :confused:
  • Options
    jim_ukjim_uk Posts: 13,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, all very well for those that have the room and cash.

Should they cater for those still using green screens? At some point they need to move on, it's not as if 1024 is an excessively high resolution.

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_display.asp