Options

Barry Humphries - Judge

Comments

• Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    katyb0408 wrote: »
    i just wouldnt like some pervy old man perving over me, thats why i would be scared if i were them

I wonder if the days of the casting couch are over? Oh no they can't be as DVO had her well-used casting couch out for Joseph last year!!!:D

It gives a brand new meaning to the cry of NEXT!!!!
  • Options
    LaurieMarlowLaurieMarlow Posts: 5,003
    Forum Member
    I'm enjoying him. At least he's entertaining as well as letchy, which is more than i can say for David Ian. I'm trying to decide what was my favourite Barry moment from tonight's show and it's a toss up between:

Telling Francesca that Nancy was a gin drinker whereas she looked too dairy fed :eek: (Actually, perhaps he went a teeny bit too far there, I wouldn't have been thrilled if I'd been Francesca :o)

Telling Ashley she was like a better looking Fergie :D
  • Options
    pierre_gustavepierre_gustave Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cat Balou wrote: »
    :D:D:D

These actresses are auditioning for a part as a gin drinking prostitute who is beaten to death by her boyfriend. If they are upset by a saucy comment from BH I doubt they'll make a convincing Nancy.

Having met BH, I have no doubt that behind the scenes he will be offer the young hopefuls lots of constructive advice and don't be surprised if you see them appear in future BH shows. He is very loyal and supportive to people who he rates.

Well said. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Cat Balou wrote: »
    I seem to be in a minority but I'm really enjoying Barry Humphries on this show! :o

On the surface he is loving everyone but then either by body language or fabulous and very non-PC one liners he lets us know what he really thinks. He makes me laugh and I'm glad he's there. :D

I totally agree with Cat Balou, it makes a pleasant change to have somebody who is non PC , life is too short to be serious & we need a bit of fun. Barry provides a little constructive criticism & a lot of fun.
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barry Humphries... Love him as Edna but in last night's show I couldn't look at the screen when he was talking. Slightly incoherent, looked lost at times - just a bit embarrassing. :o
  • Options
    DinglebertDinglebert Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    Barry Humphries... Love him as Edna but in last night's show I couldn't look at the screen when he was talking. Slightly incoherent, looked lost at times - just a bit embarrassing. :o

must agree
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    he's funny but doesnt say anything bad about the girls, at least john and denise are honest, i think he made two criticisms throughout all of the week two show
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He looks and acts like a dirty old man. With his horrid dyed black hair, with his stupid comedy Hitler haircut.
    Who gives a hoot what he thinks.
    Sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezy
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Completely agree with the thread starter. Yesterday it was like:

"So what do you think Barry?"
    "...both were absoLUTELY wonderful!" :yawn:

He reminds me of that sleazy judge last year (can't remember his name) who kept eyeing up Siobhan.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Shizuku wrote: »
    Was he? I personally found him very frustrating, I was expecting him to be like that but to me he seemed to just sit on the fence. The only judge who really seemed to do some judging the other night was John Barrowman. But thats just my opinion.

As much as a admire and respect Barry Humphries - I would have preferred Zoe to have stayed, I thought she did a good job of keeping everybody on edge - I think a lot of them will be sitting on their laurels after the soft treatment the other night.

I have a feeling that BH will become the Paula Abdul of I'd Do Anything and JB will become Simon Cowell. Just my opinion but perhaps this could be what the BEEB are after?
  • Options
    shaneyshaneyshaneyshaney Posts: 3,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why did'nt Barry just be the judge AS Dame Edna. In that character he is realy funny and could have got away with sly catty comments or funny Innuendo's. He is harmless as Dame Edna, but as himself he does, indeed, come across like a dirty old man.
  • Options
    hudsondogletshudsondoglets Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    His comments and manner make me cringe. I don't think he adds value to the process and if anything is dumbing it down.

I'm disappointed that a singing teacher is no longer part of the panel as I found the critiques from a professional teacher far more interesting than the rest of the panel. I'm also disappointed that they're not showing footage of the singing lessons which is interesting. I guess that time is being taken up by the "Olivers". Maybe as the Nancys reduce in number there'll be more time for that sort of thing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I'd have loved to have seen Claire Moore, the (sadly almost behind the scenes) vocal coach, on the panel with ALW, John and Denise, as she's had so much acting and singing experience in the West End, so would have given an extra dimension and insight into the show.
  • Options
    hudsondogletshudsondoglets Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    tiggertoo wrote: »
    I'd have loved to have seen Claire Moore, the (sadly almost behind the scenes) vocal coach, on the panel with ALW, John and Denise, as she's had so much acting and singing experience in the West End, so would have given an extra dimension and insight into the show.

Absolutely. A true west end star. I saw her in Phantom, Les Mis and Miss Saigon. What a pro'. It would be lovely to see her more involved. :confused:
  • Options
    bluejoolsbluejools Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barry humphries brings absolutely nothing to the table in this show.i really dont like him,his remarks make me uncomfortable.who the hell hired him anyway?in fact get rid of all the panel,their rubbish.will young,charlotte church and matt willis would be a young fresh panel to judge a show like this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,007
    Forum Member
    I quite like him as a judge, but I think the programme is missing somebody who isn't a performer- who will comment on the more technical aspects of performance. Bring back Zoe, or get another vocal coach in. Even an acting coach. The girls need to be put through their paces, and John Barrowman is seeming like he may be the only judge with the balls to criticise heavily this year. Denise is good, but I think she'll get emotionally attatched. And Barry just seems to be taking a bias stance towards some girls, and generally being nice to everyone. It's like he doesn't want to hurt the girls' feelings. But "it's showbizz". They need to get their feelings hurt once in a while.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LaLaLaur wrote: »
    I quite like him as a judge, but I think the programme is missing somebody who isn't a performer- who will comment on the more technical aspects of performance. Bring back Zoe, or get another vocal coach in. Even an acting coach. The girls need to be put through their paces, and John Barrowman is seeming like he may be the only judge with the balls to criticise heavily this year. Denise is good, but I think she'll get emotionally attatched. And Barry just seems to be taking a bias stance towards some girls, and generally being nice to everyone. It's like he doesn't want to hurt the girls' feelings. But "it's showbizz". They need to get their feelings hurt once in a while.

I think Denise does get emotionally attached. When some of the Joseph's were voted off and they sang their last at the top of the steps, she quite often had tears in her eyes. It added to the emotion of the whole programme.
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm enjoying him. At least he's entertaining as well as letchy, which is more than i can say for David Ian. I'm trying to decide what was my favourite Barry moment from tonight's show and it's a toss up between:

Telling Francesca that Nancy was a gin drinker whereas she looked too dairy fed :eek: (Actually, perhaps he went a teeny bit too far there, I wouldn't have been thrilled if I'd been Francesca :o)

Telling Ashley she was like a better looking Fergie :D

Maybe I'm being dense, but I don't understand the "dairy fed" remark. Can anyone explain this to me?

The remark that made me go "Did he just say that?" was when he compared one of the girls (Samantha, I think) to Catherine Zeta Jones and wondered if, like CZJ she might have a taste for older men! Possibly a little inappropriate, I think.
  • Options
    Dreamer27Dreamer27 Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    Funny, I was talking to my girlfriend about it today. She can' stand the man saying he's too much on some of the younger ones, especially the comment about one of the girls liking older men. I think he's harmless myself, no big deal.
  • Options
    Slow AlexSlow Alex Posts: 1,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glinny wrote: »
    Who on earth decided that Barry Humphries should be a judge on choosing Nancy.

He gave me the impression of a dirty lecherous old man :eek::eek::eek:

Just because he acted the part of Fagin in Oliver all those years ago doesn't make him the right man for the job.

QUOTE]

ALW is separate to the panel. So if BH is not there there will be nonone on the panel who appreciates women. I can't stand it when gays like John Barryman goes on about women being sexy. Like they would know. Hurrah for hetero men. ;):):):):D:o;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,842
    Forum Member
    Slow Alex wrote: »
    Who on earth decided that Barry Humphries should be a judge on choosing Nancy.

He gave me the impression of a dirty lecherous old man :eek::eek::eek:

Just because he acted the part of Fagin in Oliver all those years ago doesn't make him the right man for the job.

ALW is separate to the panel. So if BH is not there there will be nonone on the panel who appreciates women. I can't stand it when gays like John Barryman goes on about women being sexy. Like they would know. Hurrah for hetero men. ;):):):):D:o;)

You'd almost have a point if casting the role of Nancy depended on how physically attractive the contestant was. However, it isn't, so it makes no bearing whatsoever about whether or not someone on the panel "appreciates women".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it matters than JB is gay. He can most likely appreciate a sexy woman, as can a heterosexual woman, like Denise.

As we're talking sexuality and just as a matter interest is Barry Humphries hetero or gay?
  • Options
    LaurieMarlowLaurieMarlow Posts: 5,003
    Forum Member
    Maybe I'm being dense, but I don't understand the "dairy fed" remark. Can anyone explain this to me?

The remark that made me go "Did he just say that?" was when he compared one of the girls (Samantha, I think) to Catherine Zeta Jones and wondered if, like CZJ she might have a taste for older men! Possibly a little inappropriate, I think.

My understanding of 'dairy fed' is that she looks hearty and a little on the plump side. There is something about her look, very fair and pinkish that I imagine was much more fashionable when people were poorer and food was scarcer. Rich people looked like that because they could afford good food. Gin alcoholics, on the other hand, probably didn't have too much in the way of body fat.

I have to admit I'm enjoying the way in which Barry has crossed and is indeed now pissing all over the line of appropriate behaviour. He's brought a 'OMG, what on earth is he going to say next' quality to the show. The reactions from Graham and John are priceless. At least Barry is equally lecherous with all of the girls. I appreciate that he isn't playing favourites. David Ian was only inappropriate when it came to Siobhan. :rolleyes:

I've just remembered that the funniest thing about Barry telling Ashley she was like an attractive Fergie was Andrew saying 'What's the matter with Fergie' :D:D:D Obviously he doesn't think she's so bad :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slow Alex wrote: »

As he stated in his auto biog after saying a woman was beautiful...

He's gay not blind :P

and ya spelt BarrOWMAN wrong :D

I can't decided about BH, sometimes he does seem a bit pervy
    but he is lighthearted
    yet too nice.

BRING BACK ZOE:cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a huge fan of Barry. He seems nice enough, but so far he hasn't done anything apart from say they're all awesome. I miss Zoe Tyler; despite some people thinking she was too bitchy, I always thought she at least made an effort to give constructive criticism. While BH's unpredictableness may make the show exciting to some, it just makes me feel awkward and embarrassed to watch.