Options

River Song to Doctor - "Don't think you'll regenerate"

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 93
Forum Member
I think (from reading all the posts about Forest of the Dead and River Song) no one really picked up on when River shouted to the Doctor
":mad:Don't think you'll regenerate:mad:"

What did she mean by this? Why would he not regenerate? It implies she knows something he doesn't. Another spoiler:confused:

Comments

• Options
    CousteauCousteau Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thommck wrote: »
    I think (from reading all the posts about Forest of the Dead and River Song) no one really picked up on when River shouted to the Doctor

What did she mean by this? Why would he not regenerate? It implies she knows something he doesn't. Another spoiler:confused:

No. you're reading too much into it. the data stream ate her completely.
  • Options
    TMLS313TMLS313 Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I took it to mean that since it's been established there's some kind of choice to regenerate on the part of a Time Lord (Parting of the Ways, Last of the Timelords) that the way he'd have died from the data stream would mean it would be too much for him to start the regeneration process.

But that's just me ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cousteau wrote: »
    ...data stream ate her completely.
    What's that got to do with it? How would she know that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's that got to do with it? How would she know that?

well really, if you had the entire energy from the core of a planet running through your body, even without having a full grasp on physics, would you expect to survive it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Don't forget she knows the doctor from his future. she knows he will regenerate because she has seen him with different faces. She knows he is obstinate and stubborn.

That man. That impossible man

IMO I think she was just genuinely worried because the data stream eats through memories and that in itself will affect the regeneration process but also that he would never get to meet her. That their shared future memories would never happen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The regeneration process is partly down to the fact he has two hearts (or so that's what they lead people to believe).

If one is punctured or stops or whatever, he regenerates using the other one and the one that is affected can then heal itself or whatever it does.

What River Song said was "It'll burn out both your hearts, you won't regenerate".

If both of them are destroyed, the Doctor has nothing to start the regeneration process, and so he dies like any other human.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    Maybe also if he did regenerate it would have changed the future for the both of them, and she doesn't want that?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    he's not human :D

so river song knows him with different faces. so she should be in future series with the maybe 12th and 13th doctor, if its different faces.
    or the doctor will go past 13.
  • Options
    JonJonBJonJonB Posts: 2,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was there any dialogue that actually confirmed she'd seen him in different regenerations? I didn't catch any.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    Also, it is shown in The Last of the Timelords that a Timelord has to consciously make the decision to regenerate. The Master chose not to and therefore died.

If the Doctor had the entire datastream of the Library running through his mind, he would very likely be incapable of mentally triggering the regeneration process.

This is what River Song was referring to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The regeneration process is partly down to the fact he has two hearts (or so that's what they lead people to believe).

If one is punctured or stops or whatever, he regenerates using the other one and the one that is affected can then heal itself or whatever it does.

What River Song said was "It'll burn out both your hearts, you won't regenerate".

If both of them are destroyed, the Doctor has nothing to start the regeneration process, and so he dies like any other human.
    Oh right, that makes sense, Thanks
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JonJonB wrote: »
    Was there any dialogue that actually confirmed she'd seen him in different regenerations? I didn't catch any.

No not directly, there wasn't. A lot of posters took the whole "never seen you looking so young" thing to mean that, but I think she meets him with this face, but older. I am hoping maybe she appears in the last 2009 special and he is off adventuring with her between series, that'd be great!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bezmina wrote: »
    No not directly, there wasn't. A lot of posters took the whole "never seen you looking so young" thing to mean that, but I think she meets him with this face, but older. I am hoping maybe she appears in the last 2009 special and he is off adventuring with her between series, that'd be great!

how when david tennant will be doing it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    I don't see why there is so much debate about this. The cleverness of Moffat's writing is that he has River Song speaking in such a way that it is open to interpretation whether or not she has met the current incarnation, a regenerated doctor or both in her immediate past, and his immediate future.

The nature of the programme - which Moffat clearly understands - required this - and it was very well done.

It's possible that Kingston is signed up - provisionally - to return as River Song, but they may not know who is even going to be the Doctor when she does return.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so she will be with an older doctor.............mmmmmmmm
    :confused:

richard o'brien
    sean connery
    richard wilson
    billy connolly
    bruce forsythe:D

any off the above.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think...And I'm fairly sure of this after talking to a couple of friends, that it's teaser fodder. The thing is, she said it reached him too early, which means that she met him in his current incarnation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    how when david tennant will be doing it.
    See the post you quoted for an anwer to that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so she will be with an older doctor.............mmmmmmmm
    :confused:

richard o'brien
    sean connery
    richard wilson
    billy connolly
    bruce forsythe:D

any off the above.

Bill Nighy. That's all I'm saying.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    asto47 wrote: »
    I don't see why there is so much debate about this. The cleverness of Moffat's writing is that he has River Song speaking in such a way that it is open to interpretation whether or not she has met the current incarnation, a regenerated doctor or both in her immediate past, and his immediate future.

The nature of the programme - which Moffat clearly understands - required this - and it was very well done.

It's possible that Kingston is signed up - provisionally - to return as River Song, but they may not know who is even going to be the Doctor when she does return.

not really she said quite explicitly judging by your face i'd say it's early days....hmm earlier than that.

then looked right into his eyes and said how young he was, as in not seen as much as he had by the time he met her.

as you can see quite explicit she has seen him with that face but knows he will regenerate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Histeria wrote: »
    See the post you quoted for an anwer to that.

thats for the 5th season.
    i read on here, dt said they may be doing 4 not 3 specials now next year, so he will be doing it.
    i would rather he stayed for the 5th, not many wants that by the looks. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not really she said quite explicitly judging by your face i'd say it's early days....hmm earlier than that
    She could just as easily be referring to his age in his tenth regeneration. There was nothing explicit in her phraseology either way - the ambiguity of which shows a real strength in the writing.
    thats for the 5th season.
    The 2009 specials are not the 5th season. The 5th starts in 2010.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    she wont know him when they do meet up. he will know her though. be interesting to see.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Histeria wrote: »
    She could just as easily be referring to his age in his tenth regeneration. There was nothing explicit in her phraseology either way - the ambiguity of which shows a real strength in the writing.The 2009 specials are not the 5th season. The 5th starts in 2010.

i know that, i didnt say it was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i know that, i didnt say it was.
    Then what ARE you saying, exactly? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am hoping maybe she appears in the last 2009 special and he is off adventuring with her between series, that'd be great!

someone put this about river song. i wondered how when dt as said they may be doing 4 specials instead of 3.
    i read that somewhere on here.