Cyd Charrisse Dies

Comments

• Options
    Cally's mumCally's mum Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coody Mow wrote: »
    *waves hands and shouts NOTICE ME!!!!!!*

No one is commenting on my fav films or posts...I have seen Howard Keel you know!!!

*cries*

:D

I noticed you, Coody! :)

*Waves madly from in front of screen*
  • Options
    Coody MowCoody Mow Posts: 3,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed you, Coody! :)

*Waves madly from in front of screen*

*Waves madly back*

'Any Tom, Dick or Harry, any Tom, Harry or Dick!!!'

Would be sadly misinterpreted nowdays!!!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    Howard Keel was a GOD! Crikey, he even aged damned handsome.

I'd have blessed his beautiful hide anyday! ;)

BTW, anyone know the latest on the Wonderful Doris Day. There was quite a bitchy article about her past in the DM (where else?) recently.

I loved him, but wasn't sure about seeing him in concert as I was too cool to go to my local theatre and see him!!! :D But my Mum wanted to go so I did. Thought I might feel a bit out of it (stupidly as was brought up on musicals.)

Anyway, was one of the best nights of my life...he never sang a note off and was a complete professional and did about an hour and a half show and he was in his late 70's/80's. So glad I went.

Pure class.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Waves madly back*

'Any Tom, Dick or Harry, any Tom, Harry or Dick!!!'

Would be sadly misinterpreted nowdays!!!:D

:):) Snigger
  • Options
    The DaneThe Dane Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    I LOVE this thread, although the reason it was started is a sad one!

I thought I was the only one to love all those old musicals and dance movies!

Do you remember "Gigi"?

Leslie Caron was charming, and she danced with both Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire too.

And I do know I'm "slightly" off topic...
  • Options
    sofakatsofakat Posts: 16,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my all time favourite films. Love it. it's one of the very few I have actually bought on DVD.

Wonderful film,
  • Options
    asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    86 is a great innings.

rest in peace Cyd xx
  • Options
    spider9spider9 Posts: 4,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone going to join me for the Trolley Song?

Clang, Clang Clang went the Trolley
    Ring, Ring Ring went the bell
    Zing, Zing Zing went my heartstrings
    For the moment I saw him I fell

Sorry, nothing to do with Cyd but it's the song that's now stuck in my head.

My favourite musicals are
    On The Town
    Gentlemen prefer Blondes
    Singin' in the Rain
    all those Ziegfield Follies ones that have blended into one a bit!
    42nd Street
    The Band Wagon

Didn't realise there were so mnay clips on youutube, might go and lose myself on there for an hour or so.
  • Options
    skinrayskinray Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spider9 wrote: »
    Anyone going to join me for the Trolley Song?

Clang, Clang Clang went the Trolley
    Ring, Ring Ring went the bell
    Zing, Zing Zing went my heartstrings
    For the moment I saw him I fell

Sorry, nothing to do with Cyd but it's the song that's now stuck in my head.

My favourite musicals are
    On The Town
    Gentlemen prefer Blondes
    Singin' in the Rain
    all those Ziegfield Follies ones that have blended into one a bit!
    42nd Street
    The Band Wagon

Didn't realise there were so many clips on youtube, might go and lose myself on there for an hour or so.

I am surprised that you didn't include Meet Me in St Louis in your list of favourite musicals, as you know all the lyrics to The Trolley Song! ;) Incidentally, Cyd had a small part in Judy's The Harvey Girls, she can be seen in the chorus during the song, "On the Atchison Topeka and the Santa Fe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skinray wrote: »
    I am surprised that you didn't include Meet Me in St Louis in your list of favourite musicals, as you know all the lyrics to The Trolley Song! ;) Incidentally, Cyd had a small part in Judy's The Harvey Girls, she can be seen in the chorus during the song, "On the Atchison Topeka and the Santa Fe.

Pedant alert...Cyd was a supporting role in 'The Harvey girls', the Harvey girl who fell in love with the pianist from the 'brothel'. Not just in the chorus.

I know that as it is another of my favourite films. And she did a lovely dance in that as he played the piano...so thanks for reminding me of that, but she was in a couple of songs and was also the lady who had the snake in her bathroom, to scare the girls out of town, unless I am very much mistaken. So she was quite a big part in that film.

Also, no offence at all, but why do you write all your posts in bold? It hurts my eyes!!!!:D Sorry.:o
  • Options
    gonnaenodaethatgonnaenodaethat Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite old film is West Side Story. Some huge stars in that too. Rita Moreno was in that and in On the Town I think. I'm probably wrong LOL
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite old film is West Side Story. Some huge stars in that too. Rita Moreno was in that and in On the Town I think. I'm probably wrong LOL

Another West Side story fan...yay!

I don't know unless I check if Rita was in On The Town but she was in 'Singing in the Rain' off the top of my head, as Lina Lamonts best pal.

She is fab.:)
  • Options
    gonnaenodaethatgonnaenodaethat Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another West Side story fan...yay!

I don't know unless I check if Rita was in On The Town but she was in 'Singing in the Rain' off the top of my head, as Lina Lamonts best pal.

She is fab.:)

Thats what I meant to type DOH.

I have the original LP from the soundtrack. My dad gave it to me before he died. Its the only vinyl I have now. I have WSS on DVD and CD. I watch it fairly often. It reminds me of so many things, And yes it still makes me sad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pedant alert...Cyd was a supporting role in 'The Harvey girls', the Harvey girl who fell in love with the pianist from the 'brothel'. Not just in the chorus.

I know that as it is another of my favourite films. And she did a lovely dance in that as he played the piano...so thanks for reminding me of that, but she was in a couple of songs and was also the lady who had the snake in her bathroom, to scare the girls out of town, unless I am very much mistaken. So she was quite a big part in that film.

Also, no offence at all, but why do you write all your posts in bold? It hurts my eyes!!!!:D Sorry.:o[/QUOTE

Sorry, I thought that it made it easier to read !;)

My memory played me tricks concerning the length of her part in The Harvey Girls, it has been quite a while since I have seen it.
  • Options
    spider9spider9 Posts: 4,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must confess that I have never seen Meet Me in St Louis all the way through. I have probably missed loads off my list.

My mum used to have a crush on Tom Drake, the lead actor when she was younger in the 1940's!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spider9 wrote: »
    I must confess that I have never seen Meet Me in St Louis all the way through. I have probably missed loads off my list.

I got the DVD in a sale at HMV for £5, it included interviews with some of the surviving stars, as well as a commentary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats what I meant to type DOH.

I have the original LP from the soundtrack. My dad gave it to me before he died. Its the only vinyl I have now. I have WSS on DVD and CD. I watch it fairly often. It reminds me of so many things, And yes it still makes me sad.

Rather spooky this post as I have the original LP, for the same reasons. I have it on DVD and CD and I watch it fairly often, but it reminds me of so many things too, which I don't want to say on DS, but pretty much for the same reasons as you I would hazard a guess at from your post.

Isn't it funny how music can touch your hearts like that and go on through generations, and rather lovely too.

:)

Skinray, I didn't men to be rude honest. Post how you like, I can read it better not in bold, but if you want to be bold..be bold!!! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Skinray, I didn't mean to be rude honest. Post how you like, I can read it better not in bold, but if you want to be bold..be bold!!! :D

No problem, I didn't take offence, and thanks for all your posts. Just think, we have changed this Forum for the better in just one day. Keep up the good work!! :D
  • Options
    pricesoutpricesout Posts: 3,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skinray wrote: »
    No problem, I didn't take offence, and thanks for all your posts. Just think, we have changed this Forum for the better in just one day. Keep up the good work!! :D

Yes, it now focuses on real Hollywood stars, some of whom are dead:cry:

I think this forum will split into 2 camps:
    1. The camp that write on these old stars
    2. The younger generation

I hope there will be some crossover, and the division will not be permanent
  • Options
    Blackhorse47Blackhorse47 Posts: 4,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    BTW, anyone know the latest on the Wonderful Doris Day. There was quite a bitchy article about her past in the DM (where else?) recently.

A new DD biography is out this week claiming to be the definitive authorized story of her life detailing her secret life as a nazi spy and call-girl along with her drug-ridden... only joking. I'd love to know the full tale of how she turned away from stardom. Along with Garbo there are few that have done it so well.

My favourite musical is Calamity Jane, although why she's only supposed to become attractive when she puts on a silly dress is beyond me. Honourable mention to Top Hat, although my version is a bit grainy. Cheek to Cheek has to be the best dance sequence ever done. Oh and Broadway Melody of 1940. The only film I think where Fred and Elanor Powell danced together:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBv5rbmzMQo&feature=related
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if she fits into the niche/s being discussed but Nancy in Oliver! (Lionel Bart musical) captivates me no matter how many times I watch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cloud9 wrote: »
    Not sure if she fits into the niche/s being discussed but Nancy in Oliver! (Lionel Bart musical) captivates me no matter how many times I watch.

Shani Wallis was just astonishing in that role. She took it and really made it her own. She was brassy and hard on the outside (as she had to be being Bill Sikes' lover and the way they lived), and kind hearted and sweet on the inside. Her voice was amazing and 'As long as he needs me' remains one of my all-time favourite songs - as performed by her and her alone.

Fantastic performance and I still can't watch her murder without feeling a headache coming on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shani Wallis was just astonishing in that role. 'As long as he needs me' remains one of my all-time favourite songs - as performed by her and her alone.

Yes , she so effortlessy gives me tingles when I watch/listen to that , so genuine and heartfelt that I lose myself in the fact that she is acting.

And she's aged very well , saw her on a TV interview a few months back and looking damn fine IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite musical is Calamity Jane, although why she's only supposed to become attractive when she puts on a silly dress is beyond me.

Interesting observation , I wonder if in todays' pc world they would get away with such a scandalous insinuation !;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cloud9 wrote: »
    Interesting observation , I wonder if in todays' pc world they would get away with such a scandalous insinuation !;)

I think they have! Films such as 'The Devil Wears Prada' more than insinuate that you can't be pretty unless you wear nice clothes! :D

Of course, dressing dowdily and having your hair a messy tangle of knots does not do much for you on the outside, but it's actually what's inside that counts anyway. Something that's even less celebrated today than ever, to be honest (especially if you read some of the other threads on here - obsessed with the way people look rather than their actual personalities/or only judging people from what they read/see on TV without actually knowing them personally!).