Options

Doctor Who, Episode 12: The Stolen Earth. 28 June 2008, 7.10pm BBC1

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's all this discussion about Tennant leaving? I don't get it, because I'm sure I read around here that he'd already committed to next years specials, and has been seen filming this years Xmas one. :confused:

It seemed to me they were just setting a clever cliffhanger, and the Doctor isn't really going to regenerate.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    Best episode for so far and thats after Turn Left which was brill too. Only issue I have is that Davros is fine, the voice is okayish, but I just wish the mask looked more like the Genesis Davros, maybe its due to the actors own face/bone structure, dunno but that one point is what lacked a bit, but apart from that, ruddy great episode.
    Great moment for me was when SJS heard the daleks voice and that of Davros and that instantly brought her back to Genesis but now facing a Dalek situation without The Doctor - magic moment.

Hadn't watched much of Torchwood, but Gwen looks quite tasty,mini skirt and boots would have been a nice outfit for her ;)
  • Options
    cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the series has got better and better, I thought the Library was good, but I hadn't see Turn Left at that point which was brilliant....now this, I cant wait to see what happens next week.

RTD, I will miss you and good luck in your next projects:)

I think the regeneration will be on hold for a while, we had a few shots of the arm in the jar, that holds the key.
  • Options
    shaun carmodyshaun carmody Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    i think i know what may happen in eps 12 we get a few shots of the doctors hand .IN the DT's 1st eps of doctor who The Christmas Invasion he has a fight his had gets chopped of it grows back he say it happens as he was still generating so could it be he is generating touches the case with his had in it and with his generating power the hand that has been chopped of refrigerator into doctor who and we have dt still as the doctor or take it a step further all this happens plus we get a new doctor as well so we have a clone IE dt's had recreates in to dt and if my counting right we get the 11th so we have 10th a clone from his hand and the from the generation we the 11th doctor you never no if we get 11th doc and dt has gone i would miss him as the doctor i think he was the best dw but well done to the b for keep this a secret if it dose happen
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... And breathe.
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are so many possible 'outs', any one of which could be the resolution to the cliffhanger. I think RTD has taken inspiration from Agatha Christie!

1 The Osterhagen key
    2 Donna's heartbeat(s)
    3 The hand in the jar
    4 Doctor only getting "half shot" (his whole body didn't go "neg")

what else?

K

edit: The "Threefold man"
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Tremendous stuff. I'm looking forward to next week. I will be wishing the week away.
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the ratings thread...

7.4m (38.3%)

K
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think i know what may happen in eps 12 we get a few shots of the doctors hand .IN the DT's 1st eps of doctor who The Christmas Invasion he has a fight his had gets chopped of it grows back he say it happens as he was still generating so could it be he is generating touches the case with his had in it and with his generating power the hand that has been chopped of refrigerator into doctor who and we have dt still as the doctor or take it a step further all this happens plus we get a new doctor as well so we have a clone IE dt's had recreates in to dt and if my counting right we get the 11th so we have 10th a clone from his hand and the from the generation we the 11th doctor you never no if we get 11th doc and dt has gone i would miss him as the doctor i think he was the best dw but well done to the b for keep this a secret if it dose happen
    Shaun... does your daddy know you're using his computer? :D
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Flaming heck, that was all types of awesome - after two horribley dissapointing episodes IMHO ( The Dr's Daughter and the Agatha Christie one) this series has seriously kicked butt. No idea what's going to happen next week but seriously can't wait.
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »
    There are so many possible 'outs', any one of which could be the resolution to the cliffhanger. I think RTD has taken inspiration from Agatha Christie!

1 The Osterhagen key
    2 Donna's heartbeat(s)
    3 The hand in the jar
    4 Doctor only getting "half shot" (his whole body didn't go "neg")

what else?

K

edit: The "Threefold man"

Rose somehow using the Time Vortex (as she's been there) to stop the Doctor changing or changing him back?
  • Options
    Blackhorse47Blackhorse47 Posts: 4,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found it reasonably diverting and good to see the Daleks on top-notch form with a perfectly pitched Davros, a barking mad Caan, and lots of ruthless exterminating. Penelope Wilton and Bernard Cribbins were great as always, but I just wish there'd been more of a story in there. To me it was just lots of people jumping up and down and getting excited over getting a phone number. Somehow high-adrenaline cutting between shots of various people shouting doesn't go well when it all leads up to 'patching his number through, now!".

In other words a poor and contrived way to get everyone involved, and as I don't watch Torchwood or the other one I couldn't care about those, to me anyhow, very weak actors. Added to which the Medusa Cascade and the Shadow Proclamation were far less interesting than I thought they'd be. All in all, entertaining and fun but not very involving.
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    Loved the Shadow Proclamation, they felt like old school Doctor Who aliens. But can someone tell me if I am on the right track?

The Doctor works out that the bees disappearing is because they share some DNA with particular aliens whose planet has been stolen, so the bees are migrating there. The Doctor follows their migration and realises they are heading to the same part of space and some how works out this is in the Medusa Cascade? I got a bit lost at that point.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    wuffles wrote: »
    Davros reminds me a bit of Emperor Palpatine from the Star Wars trilogy.

Except Davros came first in the Tom Baker story Genesis of the Daleks in 1975
  • Options
    SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ridiculous, far fetched, fanwank of an episode. Loved it!

The only thing that's going to spoil it is whatever lazy, reset, cop out Rusty comes up with at the end of the finale.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just about to watch the ep again but, I'm leaning towards the idea that DT IS going.
    I think the Christmas ep that has been photographed being filmed is something happening in the present Doctors past and that David Morrissey IS the new Doctor.

The whole "I haven't been asked yet" answer when asked if he's leaving is so he can technically tell the truth but keep his leaving a secret. Obviously he wouldn't have been asked to do series 5 if he's not going to be the Doctor...

Just a thought.....

I suspect I may have to be a sad git and watch the ep every night until Saturday just to stave off my Who craving.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spreading darkness from your world into the worlds of others won't make your world any lighter :(
    Beautifully expressed. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whose authority was Harriet Jones acting on given that as ex Prime Minister she has none? she ordered Martha not to use the key.

plus how did Dalek Caan temporal shift into the Time War which as Davros said himself no Emperor or Time Lord had been unable to do and The Doctor said it was time locked?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    great episode. how many excellent episodes in a row is that?
    bringing back the companions was an inspired idea. loved the judoon! davros amazing, glad that these are 'pure' daleks. harriet jones got the funniest moment of the season.
    Harriet Jones, Former PM
    Dalek: YES, WE KNOW WHO YOU ARE!

pure gold!!!:D i doubt she is dead!!
    as for DT, no way is he out of the show. on confidential he was too happy, too jokin, with his little cheeky smile. Donna wasnt at her best. gwen and ianto and jack were all great, they kept in their TW characters perfectly. I love MR. Smith!! Sarah jane was great, luke works better with clyde and maria. Freema was ok as was billie (how fake did her gun look?). Nick Briggs should be knighted, Dalek Caan was amazing! DT when he immitates the Judoon :)

Couldnt have asked for more RTD! Great cliffhanger
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But we still don't know why the walls between universes have been pulled down...or did i miss that?
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love tea wrote: »
    But we still don't know why the walls between universes have been pulled down...or did i miss that?

There is plenty of time next week to get in to all that....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bendy0123 wrote: »
    I'm probably being thick, but when the doctor said that someone had tried to move the earth before - who was that? Was it Davros? Haven't seen all the old series, so I think I may have missed that one!

Thanks!

The Daleks did in 1964's Dalek Invasion of Earth by mining out the Earth's core to turn it into a spaceship. However, the Earth has been moved before........wont spoil that story.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Twilighter wrote: »
    Best episode for so far and thats after Turn Left which was brill too. Only issue I have is that Davros is fine, the voice is okayish, but I just wish the mask looked more like the Genesis Davros, maybe its due to the actors own face/bone structure, dunno but that one point is what lacked a bit, but apart from that, ruddy great episode.
    Great moment for me was when SJS heard the daleks voice and that of Davros and that instantly brought her back to Genesis but now facing a Dalek situation without The Doctor - magic moment.

Hadn't watched much of Torchwood, but Gwen looks quite tasty,mini skirt and boots would have been a nice outfit for her ;)

Sorry but that was the closest to the original Davros mask we have had. the Terry Molloy version always looked like a plastic mask you could buy for Halloween. Its only the fact that Julian Bleach and Michael Wisher are physically different that means this version is slightly longer in the face. And he so got the Wisher intonation of Davros pitch perfect.
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thinking about it if Donna has a big role in next weeks show then it could be because the Doctor is incapacitated due to the regen. The Xmas special could be the new Doctor still struggling with the regen with previous Doctors, McCoy, Tennant & Davidson coming back to guide him a la Five Doctors.

Be more exciting than Tennant regening into Tennant.
  • Options
    pablopicassopablopicasso Posts: 32,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the beginning of the next episode, the gang explain to Donna what is happening, re. the regeneration and she goes ballistic.

"Regenerating, you HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING!!
    What a f***ing liberty, you can forget about that SUNSHINE!!"