Options

Those on benefit forced to clean streets....

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,868
Forum Member
✭✭
and incapacity benefit to be scrapped...

Or so says this report on the BBC News site today:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7516551.stm

So, is this just a gimmick to win around dissillusioned voters or is it a good idea?

Personally I think its a good idea. But that's just an idea.

How will it work? What happens if you don't turn up? Is it basically a way of getting cheap labour? If you are incapacitated, can you work? Is that fair?

I don't think its very workable in the real world to be honest and as usual a plan to target the "wasters" in society will probably penalise the genuine people out there who are really trying to find work and who really are incapacitated.

Comments

• Options
    merrybiscuitmerrybiscuit Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trying to find work can act as a full time job. I think something should be done to help find those who some how make a living living of benefits. I have a friend who has 3 kids now has had one since she was 16 is now 22. Has never worked and has a husband who also has never worked.

These in my opinion are the ones who need to be targetted. Perhaps it will be good for those who have no experiance in any field help to gain experiance this way?
  • Options
    JuceeJucee Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's a good idea in theory, but then I can't see this government doing it. It's either a gimmick and everything will simply be reworded again to make it look like it's changed, or they won't be able to implement it properly, people will be crying human rights and it'll all be dropped
  • Options
    ObiWanKenobiObiWanKenobi Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    It's ridiculous.

May as well make them wear uniforms with "LOSER" written in capitals on the back while they do it.
  • Options
    unorthodoxunorthodox Posts: 1,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    terrible. there are loads of people who are genuine. are we going to humiliate them too. have some compassion for your fellow man ffs.:mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unorthodox wrote: »
    terrible. there are loads of people who are genuine. are we going to humiliate them too. have some compassion for your fellow man ffs.:mad:

I think some members of the public will confuse the people doing the work as offenders doing their community service following some crime or other. Imagine the insults... all for being unemployed. Hardly seems right.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All in favour providing we don't penalise the genuine sick.
    Alan
  • Options
    TelemekusTelemekus Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    jon8769 wrote: »
    I think some members of the public will confuse the people doing the work as offenders doing their community service following some crime or other. Imagine the insults... all for being unemployed. Hardly seems right.

That is what I thought too?

If the long term unemployed are going to be made to pick up litter and clean graffiti, then what are we going to have convicted criminals doing as their Community Service punishment, because it will have to be more demeaning than this to be a punishment?

Weird
  • Options
    ayrshiremanayrshireman Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    terrible. there are loads of people who are genuine. are we going to humiliate them too. have some compassion for your fellow man ffs.

And what about 'respect and compassion' for the millions of us who actually go out and work?. Why should we pay for those who 'cant be bothered' to work?.

OF COURSE there are many who are genuine and want to work, this scheme will target those long term claimants who clearly just want to live on benefits and scrounge off the back of you and I. Not genuine people.

Long overdue imo...
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm worried about the incapacity benefit.

And I'm slightly confused about the other bit - if people are working full-time to earn their benefits, what's the difference between that and, you know, having a job? Why will they still count as unemployed? Or won't they?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And what about 'respect and compassion' for the millions of us who actually go out and work?. Why should we pay for those who 'cant be bothered' to work?.

OF COURSE there are many who are genuine and want to work, this scheme will target those long term claimants who clearly just want to live on benefits and scrounge off the back of you and I. Not genuine people.

Long overdue imo...

The thing is in weeding out the bad apples, there are going to be genuine claimants who are penalised. See also comments about the community service. Being unemployed will have the same penalty as breaking the law.
  • Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Income support is also on the list to be scrapped but i do not like this bit of it...

People who have been signed off sick will have a new medical check with someone who is not their own GP.

so for someone who is sick and gets seen by a gp and not their own and that gp thinks your well and your own gp thinks otherwise i cannot see that working :rolleyes:
  • Options
    unorthodoxunorthodox Posts: 1,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you can smell the desperation all over this govt.
  • Options
    JuceeJucee Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    Income support is also on the list to be scrapped but i do not like this bit of it...

People who have been signed off sick will have a new medical check with someone who is not their own GP.

so for someone who is sick and gets seen by a gp and not their own and that gp thinks your well and your own gp thinks otherwise i cannot see that working :rolleyes:

I think it's a good idea to have an impartial GP. I was listening to a programme a while ago where a doctor was saying he and a lot of GP's will sign a sick form for a patient they don't believe to be incapacitated as they don't want to jeapordise the ongoing relationship as their doctor or for fear of reprisals. A number of doctors said they had been threatened or attacked when they had refused to sign someone off as incapacitated.

So I think this way would be better for the genuinely ill, in that the doctor doesn't have to worry about them seeing them again and can be impartial.
  • Options
    Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    Will they have to wear chains and become part of a chain gang wearing bright orange overalls ?
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    *marv* wrote: »
    Will they have to wear chains and become part of a chain gang wearing bright orange overalls ?
    probably just have to ring a bell and chant unclean.
  • Options
    BradshawsbagBradshawsbag Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sexbomb wrote: »

If you have a medical for IB you have to go to a special centre where you are assessed by a doctor employed by the Benefits Service.

My son's on Incapacity Benefit, and due to his condition (OCD/Asperger's) gets very worried that he's going to be somehow forced to work full time. He might be capable of part time work, but definitely not full time. His benefit was assessed a few years back as being 'permanent' due to his condition at his assessment.

I really don't see how this assessment of people on IB is going to work, due to the enormous amount of people currently on it, whether for genuine illness or not.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same worries about genuine claimants being penalised and perhaps those who know how to play the system and do will still get around these requirements. But I do think introductory work is helpful to people. The longer people are out of work, the harder it is to get back. I'm not sure if this is the best way of doing it.

Can people do voluntary work now and claim? I also think there should be a transitional period where people still get benefits, if they try to become self-employed or work part-time etc, so that they don't have a disincentive to take a risk.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As these people are now going to be "working", I assume that they will be then paid at least the statutory minimum wage for the work they are doing, and also have the full protection of an employment contract?
  • Options
    crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Long overdue imo...

Rubbish. I've been on incapacity benefit exactly 20 years with depression and nerves. I have good days and bad days. What employerts want me when I may be able to go some days and not others?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aparantly, unemployed will do it for their benefits, criminals do it for punishment

hopefully, itll make people get proper jobs, for proper money

this countries screwed... more working people leaving ,with even more unemployed coming in...

the balance is tipping, the countries gonna end up bankrupt... this is why the governments nailing our hats on, its gotta come from somewhere

get the unemployed employed
    we're all capable of something, even answering the telephone? at home if necessary?
    theres little reason not to work these days
  • Options
    DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The way things are currently you can not do any kind of work paid or unpaid without if affecting your claim, this is something that needs addressing.

If someones been out of work for years then the best way to get experince at a job is to do it for free for a while to prove you can do it and get paid for it, but you are not allowed to do that right now.

There are people out there who haven't worked for 20 years or more (my dad for one) who I think would be more than a little afraid of having to be independant - pay their own rent, council tax etc, when you are out of work you are not trusted to pay these yourself so they are paid direct to the landlord/council.

Ive been back at work for over a year but on a low income so been getting housing benifit and ctax benifit but as my husband has now got full time work we are about to loose both benifits, and while we are getting enough to pay them the thought that we are now going to have to rely on us remembering to pay them is more than a little scary - so much so ive gone a bit OTT with making sure its the first thing paid and fretting if i cant get to the PO to make the payments on a certain day:o
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's ridiculous.

May as well make them wear uniforms with "LOSER" written in capitals on the back while they do it.
    unorthodox wrote: »

I know, when i was a student I got a summer job doing general ground maintainence and gardening for the council. I was bombarded with "get a proper job" and the like on a daily basis:(
  • Options
    BradshawsbagBradshawsbag Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rubbish. I've been on incapacity benefit exactly 20 years with depression and nerves. I have good days and bad days. What employerts want me when I may go some days and not others?

But with doctors and government saying work is good for depression, you might find yourself up for assessment of your claim. Yes, I know you probably have good days and bad days, but if you're working serotonin kicks in and makes you feel better. Fact.

My son goes to the gym to keep active, as depression is part of his problem too and always says he feels better after exercise.
  • Options
    crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But with doctors and government saying work is good for depression, you might find yourself up for assessment of your claim. Yes, I know you probably have good days and bad days, but if you're working serotonin kicks in and makes you feel better. Fact.

My son goes to the gym to keep active, as depression is part of his problem too and always says he feels better after exercise.

Well they should just leave us alone and concentrate on those who are claiming dole AND WORKING TOO.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member

that might be true for some people and situations but i`ve lost jobs because when i`m depressed i can`t leave the house.