Options

Dexter - Season 2 (FX Pace) **NO SPOILERS**

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,653
    Forum Member
    My feelings exactly, with last season I dont ever remember one dull episode..This season just seems to have a different tone..Its almost like (showtime) tv execs caved in to the remarks that S1 glorified killing. So now they've toned it down..Most of the episodes consist of dexter doubting himself or trying to evade capture..They’ve also broadened the cast, which means less airtime for his late night antics :mad:

Agree, I dont know but I just dont like the new Dexter. I think the writers made a mistake of killing the ice truck killer.
    Surely he could have thought of something better thasn the fire alarm trick (actually he thought this himself) but neverthless did it anyway. The old dexter was incredible.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as I am liking this series, I too feel that Dexter is changing too much too quickly. he's like a different person already and we're only 3 eppies in. I won't spoil it for anyone but what happened with Lila on Sunday just seemed so un-Dexterish - like the writers have sold out. If you know what I mean :)

I am really enjoying Lundy in this though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Agree, remember in the first series, Dexter hated sex.
    Also agree Lundy is a very good character.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    isnt this supposed to be a changing new Dexter Morgan though? one who loves a bit of loving between the sheets lol. cant say i blame him after seeing Lila's sweet ass
  • Options
    00tommo00tommo Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Minky_Bum wrote: »
    As much as I am liking this series, I too feel that Dexter is changing too much too quickly. he's like a different person already and we're only 3 eppies in. I won't spoil it for anyone but what happened with Lila on Sunday just seemed so un-Dexterish - like the writers have sold out. If you know what I mean :)

You've missed 3 then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    00tommo wrote: »
    You've missed 3 then.

Have I? I thought it only started in July :D
  • Options
    00tommo00tommo Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was the very first weekend in July. It'll be Episode 7 this sunday.
  • Options
    ZebsZebs Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loving Dexter series 2.

Last episode, the confrontation between Dex and Doakes in the lab was superb. Dexter swearing at him and threatening him - the cracks are beginning to show!

How many eps in this season? Dont want to look due to spoilers ;]
  • Options
    SWW (SWW)SWW (SWW) Posts: 23,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doakes is one of my favourite TV characters for years... I like the way he is scripted to totally not buy Dexter's oft odd behaviour and the rationale behind him working out Serial Killer behvaiour (S01), even though he is supposedly a blood speciallist as opposed to a profiler.

One problem I have with Doakes' character though, is his past in Special Ops, I just feel that he would have more self-control in difficult situations? It is interesting that although he us a 'good guy' and to an extent shows vigilante tendencies viewers may find it hard to like him because of the way he continually threatens Dexter, out of context to what Dexter has actually overtly done or said?
  • Options
    dannyb0yukdannyb0yuk Posts: 2,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zebs wrote: »
    Loving Dexter series 2.

Last episode, the confrontation between Dex and Doakes in the lab was superb. Dexter swearing at him and threatening him - the cracks are beginning to show!

How many eps in this season? Dont want to look due to spoilers ;]

12 again ;)
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member

It is very weird and I'm not so sure I like this new Dexter. I just couldn't imagine him doing that to Rita. When he went back to Lila's at the end of the episode it was the first time I actually thought "what the hell is he doing?". Strange. It'll be fascinating to see where they take it from here. It was a good episode in that the circumstances have changed significantly now and I think it'll be interesting to see what happens with the shift in dynamics.
  • Options
    ZebsZebs Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks dannyb0yuk - 5 more to go, best thing on TV ATM for me ;]
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I dont like the new Dexter. He has changed too much. Still a great show though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    00tommo wrote: »
    It was the very first weekend in July. It'll be Episode 7 this sunday.

:D I've definitely seen them all. Didn't realise we were so far in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agent F wrote: »
    It is very weird and I'm not so sure I like this new Dexter. I just couldn't imagine him doing that to Rita. When he went back to Lila's at the end of the episode it was the first time I actually thought "what the hell is he doing?". Strange. It'll be fascinating to see where they take it from here. It was a good episode in that the circumstances have changed significantly now and I think it'll be interesting to see what happens with the shift in dynamics.

I hope they don't go down the cheap sell out road of basing the programme around sex. They did that to Nip Tuck and it got so ridiculous in the end - I couldn't watch anymore.
  • Options
    jde-tvjde-tv Posts: 4,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loved this weeks Dexrer, best in the season!!!

but Dexter is changing a little to fast :/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,679
    Forum Member
    Zebs wrote: »
    Loving Dexter series 2.

Yes - he's never shown such an icy edge to Doakes before has he? He's tried to keep up that affable mask.
    SWW (SWW) wrote: »
    Doakes is one of my favourite TV characters for years... I like the way he is scripted to totally not buy Dexter's oft odd behaviour and the rationale behind him working out Serial Killer behvaiour (S01), even though he is supposedly a blood speciallist as opposed to a profiler.

One problem I have with Doakes' character though, is his past in Special Ops, I just feel that he would have more self-control in difficult situations? It is interesting that although he us a 'good guy' and to an extent shows vigilante tendencies viewers may find it hard to like him because of the way he continually threatens Dexter, out of context to what Dexter has actually overtly done or said?
    I know what you mean. It is cleverly done because I find I like both of them but get worried about Doakes finding Dexter out! :D
    Agent F wrote: »
    Even Dexter's surprised as himself isn't he? The comment, "It's seems I'm that man" - he's certainly not the well behaved, celibate serial killer we first got to know.
    I hope they don't go down the cheap sell out road of basing the programme around sex. They did that to Nip Tuck and it got so ridiculous in the end - I couldn't watch anymore.
    Couldn't agree more about Nip Tuck, I gave up on it too. I'd be surprised if Dexter did go down the sex route, if you'll pardon the expression. :)

Has anyone else read any of the books? I've just finished the first one and will certainly read the others.
  • Options
    donovan graciedonovan gracie Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes - he's never shown such an icy edge to Doakes before has he? He's tried to keep up that affable mask.
    Guess u must of missed the showdown they had last season.. When Dex returned to the cargo he was found in as a child
  • Options
    SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I have to disagree with some of the previous comments. Overall I am liking this season more than the 1st one.

Last season even though you had the central Ice Truck Killer plot, each episode seemed more stand-alone: Dexter finds a target, Dexter hunts target, Dexter kills target. Each ep the pattern was repeated with little variation. I think this season with the removal of this formula and the other serial killer as villain, we are seeing episodes more focused on Dexter as a person and not just his obsession with killing. You may think this is not the Dexter from s1, but a big point of this season is his therapy, his attempts to change, to control himself. But in doing that, interestingly he's actually losing control a lot more than he did previously.

I hope that all made sense. I am enjoying this season more because so far it's more focused on the character/s, rather than just murder after murder. I think if they just carried on with the episode structure they developed in season 1, the show would end up losing its impact and become repetitive quite quickly. At least for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Guess u must of missed the showdown they had last season.. When Dex returned to the cargo he was found in as a child

Not missed, just forgot about. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    Not a fan of this season so far. I do love that Dexter has become the big bad and the whole season is about pursuing him, but I'm finding both Doakes and Lila irritating. Probably because both actors are so terrible. Jaime Murray seems to come from "The Keira Knightley School of Acting With Your Lower Lip" and I don't know if the actor playing Doakes knows that he's in a drama series. It constantly looks like he's smirking when he's creeping up on Dexter and stalking him.

And is anyone else annoyed by all the swearing? It does feel like they just throw in "f***" at every opportunity. Even if you say that Debra's or Doakes' swearing is part of their characters, I personally think it's just lazy writing. We all know it's on a cable network in the States, but it's just annoying. You could get completely pissed if you played a drinking game whilst watching.

I do find the show strange in that some of the actors are so great (Michael C. Hall, Julie Benz, LeGuarta, Angel), whilst some of the others (Debra, Doakes, Lila) are so bad. It just brings the whole show down.

I much preferred the first season, but I'll of course keep watching.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    shoot wrote: »
    Not a fan of this season so far. I do love that Dexter has become the big bad and the whole season is about pursuing him, but I'm finding both Doakes and Lila irritating. Probably because both actors are so terrible. Jaime Murray seems to come from "The Keira Knightley School of Acting With Your Lower Lip" and I don't know if the actor playing Doakes knows that he's in a drama series. It constantly looks like he's smirking when he's creeping up on Dexter and stalking him.
    Put your tin hat on, there are some people here who really like Erik King. :)

I'm sort of torn about Jaime Murray now - I thought she was very good in the road trip episode, and I've found Lila less annoying as the series has gone on.
    And is anyone else annoyed by all the swearing? It does feel like they just throw in "f***" at every opportunity. Even if you say that Debra's or Doakes' swearing is part of their characters, I personally think it's just lazy writing. We all know it's on a cable network in the States, but it's just annoying. You could get completely pissed if you played a drinking game whilst watching.
    :D Actually I've not noticed the swearing in this series. I did notice in the first one though - I remember saying about Deb being a potty mouth. It's not something I normally notice but it did feel as if it was done to try to prove how tough Deb was, but it just made her sound ignorant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Erik King is a great actor and Doakes apart from Dexter is the best character.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    Put your tin hat on, there are some people here who really like Erik King. :)

I've heard he does have a large fanbase. Don't understand it, but to each their own.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    shoot wrote: »
    I've heard he does have a large fanbase. Don't understand it, but to each their own.

I quite like him - though sometimes he does seem a bit like the Mr T character of Dexter - but I do empathise with you, I've watched things before when there's a character that annoys me or an actor that seems weaker to me than the others and, as you say, it brings the show down to a certain extent.