Options

Should Gary & Karen have gone?

13»

Comments

• Options
    rosieeeerosieeee Posts: 13,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My family all thought Gary would go - Phil wasn't fantastic and I thought he might be in the bottom two but with Gary and Gary to go. There you go that's SCD for you! Hopefully he will improve a bit by the next dance. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,842
    Forum Member
    See, I was expecting Phil and Flavia to go (and, for that matter, for Gary to escape the bottom two). I'm not going to hide the fact that I don't much like Flavia, but I don't think that's why I expected them to leave - I think it was not being very good in a ballroom dance that did it, rather than not being very good in a latin, which I think some people may find fairly amusing at the least.

At the end of the day, though, this is the nature of the beast, and if Phil and Flavia got either the lowest aggregate or the second lowest aggregate, then no, Gary and Karen shouldn't have left, even if they were bottom of the judge's leaderboard (and generally a bit rubbish!).
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest I too hoped they would go. OK the 1 from Craig was harsh but it still only deserved a 3.
  • Options
    ESPIONdansantESPIONdansant Posts: 6,760
    Forum Member
    Phil was the worst in my book.

You can get away with a lot in the waltz. Stand erect, drop your shoulders, put the "face" on, grab your partner close and a lot of dodgy footwork may pass unremarked. Also hiding behind big dresses helps and Flavia's dress and bits'n'bobs did distract the eye!

Nah, Phil should have done a helluva lot better. Nowhere to hide in the cha-cha. But Gary and Don have a long way to go before they challenge Tom or Austin.
  • Options
    Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    I thought Gary was awful while poor Karen danced her heart out. I am amazed that Phil is gone as Don and Gary danced so badly!! I thought it was disgraceful when comments like common and rough were made regarding Phil. He showed he was a gentleman by not reaction to those vile comments from the judges. The judges are supposed to make helpful comments!! They all sounded like dreadful snobs, in my opinion.
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Gary was awful while poor Karen danced her heart out. I am amazed that Phil is gone as Don and Gary danced so badly!! I thought it was disgraceful when comments like common and rough were made regarding Phil. He showed he was a gentleman by not reaction to those vile comments from the judges. The judges are supposed to make helpful comments!! They all sounded like dreadful snobs, in my opinion.

Its all just jest really. I laugh at whatthe judges say good or bad or cringeworthy (if its Arlene!)
  • Options
    clazza 1clazza 1 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    Poor Phil should not have gone but we are in for weeks of hiding behind the cushions to cringe while Gary is dancing :D

He was really bad and embarrassing and what made it very funny is that he seemed very unaware of the fact.
    I thought the '1' was fair comment.

Why is it we lose someone not so very bad first every season ?
  • Options
    SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt Dawson had a two from Craig and he stayed till the finals! :D

Should Gary have gone? Logically, yes, because he's the bottom of the leaderboard.

But given the lifeline, will he improve? Remains to be seen.

I just hope he's not a Kate Garroway that got voted through week after week despite being the bottom of the leaderboard.

But he looked like a raw diamond that could be cut into something decent looking. He still has the physique (bizarre considering he's a chef) to do the training, and not be susceptible to injuries like Kate was, so I am cautiously hopeful ...
  • Options
    SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Helbrown wrote: »
    Don't you Karen fans realise why these posts continue? Couldn't there perhaps be an element of truth in them?

Anyway I wish she would find another job or have another baby but she won't. She's even nabbed one of my favourite pros this series which annoys me even more. :rolleyes:

Nabbed? You are just asking for trouble! :D
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am a Flavia fan and I am really sad that she has gone.

Phil gave his best, was very nervous and took some rotten personal insults, but it wasn't enough.

The show is as it is and under the rules of the game Karen & Gary get the chance to fight another day.

So good luck to them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    Gary and Karen should definitely have gone, apart from the fact I find them both intensly irritating, Gary was awful! It was like watching someone's Dad dance at a wedding - just embarrassing.

I just pray to god that he doesn't turn out to be the Kate Garraway of this series, please get rid of the weak links, it's a dance contest not a popularity contest!!!
  • Options
    nancy1975nancy1975 Posts: 19,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was the 1 from Craig that got them through. Yes, the routine was completely headcase and I speak as somebody who DOES like Karen. I really wish for an opening show she could choreograph a sane routine.:rolleyes:

But I'm delighted that she's stayed THIS week, because really if I was mesmerized by the awfulness of their dance, I was even more mesmerized by the awfulness of Phil's head throughout his which never never moved.:eek:
  • Options
    rosieeeerosieeee Posts: 13,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nancy1975 wrote: »
    It was the 1 from Craig that got them through. Yes, the routine was completely headcase and I speak as somebody who DOES like Karen. I really wish for an opening show she could choreograph a sane routine.:rolleyes:

But I'm delighted that she's stayed THIS week, because really if I was mesmerized by the awfulness of their dance, I was even more mesmerized by the awfulness of Phil's head throughout his which never never moved.:eek:

I have to say I agree with that part - although I didn't think Phil was the worst - he did have an expression that looked like he wanted the toilet throughout the dance! :)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    square_is wrote: »
    Gary and Karen should definitely have gone, apart from the fact I find them both intensly irritating, Gary was awful! It was like watching someone's Dad dance at a wedding - just embarrassing.

I just pray to god that he doesn't turn out to be the Kate Garraway of this series, please get rid of the weak links, it's a dance contest not a popularity contest!!!

Yes I have to agree with that, I really didn't get their routine and it was just a crazy routine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Gary's dancing was indeed like someones dad trying to boogie at a family celebtration!..it was awfiull !.. I liked Bruno's description of that bit in the middle ..." it was like that mad chef of the Muppets"..
    And Andrew.. he danced like one of those vampires off the Thriller video !
    from the moment it started it stuck out a mile who was gonna win this year....and it wasn't gonna be Gary or Andrew
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    square_is wrote: »

Maybe it is for you...and me...and many others. Unfortunately this isn't true for everybody. A number of the pros have big fan followings and the sympathy vote, which I loathe, almost ruined the last series.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    I thought Gary was awful while poor Karen danced her heart out.

Poor Karen!! If she had choreographed it to Gary's ability rather than trying to be a smart arse they would have had more chance of a respectable score. SCD isn't about having the most complicated showy routine it is about making the best performane out of the tools you have been given.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do like Karen (I exercise to her DVD on a regular basis).

However I agree with the above comment that she should have choreographed to Gary's ability. I'm sure Gary was trying his best, but Karen will just have to be patient and let him practice over and over again the steps he doesn't feel comfortable with, as frustrating as that might be.

Should they have gone? Well, it's not as if a great dancer went instead (all respect to Phil, who I liked) and so I don't see a problem with them being given another chance.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    I apologise to all the Karen fans in advance, but it comes across as if she's in the competition more for herself than her partner and so it would appear that she tailors the dance routine to her strengths rather than her partners.
  • Options
    gorlagongorlagon Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like Gary Rhodes and I'm not pro- or anti- Karen, but I thought they were by far the worst. I actually hid my head at several points during the routine as I found it so cringeworthy. I thought Phil was crippled with nerves and so deserved another week. I thought Don was pretty dreadful, but lacked the very uncomfortable air of manic desperation that characterised Karen and Gary on Saturday.

I hope they get better, but I'm not optimistic. Shame, cos I wanted them to be one of the couples I liked.