Options

Bruce is leaving after this series!

Comments

• Options
    pasodabblepasodabble Posts: 5,865
    Forum Member
    With Arlene possibly leaving, can we have a huge overhaul before next year? Leave Craig and Bruno (for the comedy element) and get 2 new judges and 2 new presenters. I'd leave the pros unchanged - Hayley may be different with a more outgoing celeb; I think she needs to be given another chance.
    Foxy Moron wrote: »
    That's not saying much now is it? I can't help but remember Kate shouting her way through X Factor!

People suggesting Kate Thornton evidently never saw her on X Factor. I think she's the worst presenter I've ever come across, and it was partly because of her that I didn't go to the tour. Presenting a scripted tour is something a trained monkey could do - after all recording artists manage to get their concerts going without any presenting skills.

On TXF she shouted all the time, never listened to what the contestants said when she interviewed them, was unnecessarily rude to the judges in a way that didn't lead to productive discussions or laughter (unlike Ant and Dec on Pop Idol or BGT)

She was awful under presssure, for e.g. when the show got behind schedule. She was one of the few presenters who made it so obvious they were getting instructions into their earpiece. As bad as Tess is, she manages to make it look as if whatever she says in the green room is her own thought.

I watched and enjoyed Pop Idol 1/2 but Kate Thornton is responsible for turning me off TXF, along with the odious Louis Walsh.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pasodabble wrote: »
    ...along with the odious Louis Walsh.

Hearing you loud and clear! :) What a muppet!! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    gkmaccagkmacca Posts: 9,386
    Forum Member
    It worries me, because I don't have much faith in this production team. If they can't find a director who knows how to film dance routines properly, will they make the right choice for a presenter? Forsyth, for all his fallibilities, brings in an exceptionally broad audience in terms of age and tastes. Someone like Vernon Kay would alienate huge sections of that. Unless they can find someone with the same kind of broad appeal, it might be wiser to change the dynamics and have a US-style bland presenter and boost the role of the judges.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gkmacca wrote: »
    It worries me, because I don't have much faith in this production team. If they can't find a director who knows how to film dance routines properly, will they make the right choice for a presenter? Forsyth, for all his fallibilities, brings in an exceptionally broad audience in terms of age and tastes. Someone like Vernon Kay would alienate huge sections of that. Unless they can find someone with the same kind of broad appeal, it might be wiser to change the dynamics and have a US-style bland presenter and boost the role of the judges.

:eek: Surely it's enough of a panto already? :confused: No more Len please! :eek::eek::eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    If and when Len leaves why not ask Karen Hardy to take on the role as a judge.
    I like the sound of Graham Norton hosting as he has the experience in presenting as well as the humour.
    I'll think about Arlene's replacement an come back with an answer.
  • Options
    daisylanedaisylane Posts: 8,239
    Forum Member
    Is anybody staying on for next year?!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    good, they need some fresh blood. They should make Craig head judge and have one of the professionals as a judge in lens place.
    Its getting stale now.
  • Options
    IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    janemarie wrote: »
    If and when Len leaves why not ask Karen Hardy to take on the role as a judge.
    I like the sound of Graham Norton hosting as he has the experience in presenting as well as the humour.
    I'll think about Arlene's replacement an come back with an answer.
    Karen and Anton to replace Arlene and Len would suit me - or Anton to replace Bruce. As discussed on another thread my preference would be Stephen Fry and someone else suggested Dara O'Brien. Fry would never do it - he hates reality tv - and like O'Brien he's too cutting edge.

Certainly nooooo - to Phillip Schofield; not only does he shout, but he makes his own bias quite clear when interviewing the celebs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gkmacca wrote: »

I agree, it will be make or break for me and I have a feeling that this will probably be the last SCD I watch. I already only watch the sky+ recording and FF through much of Bruce & all of Tess who just seem to get worse each series; I often have to turn away from the swirly camera work that cretinous director thinks is clever, so to put the likes of Vernon Kaye into the mix...Thank heavens I have (very late in the day) discovered how entertaining DWTS is.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rij wrote: »
    Vernon Kay? Vernon Kay? Vernon Kay????? *turns violent* :mad::eek:

NOoooooo..... He's the only person who would make me stop watching SCD I think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole vibe so far this season tells me this could be the end of the road for the show. So many people leaving and the vibe feels all wrong this year:(
  • Options
    XassyXassy Posts: 9,365
    Forum Member
    If Graham Norton presented, I'd probably be leaping out of my seat in excitment. I am in love with him. Yep, I know he's gay! :p He's the best. I'd miss Bruce, I think he's an important part of SCD.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't care who leaves as long as the show continues- I get withdrawal symptoms when the series finishes, so imagine what would happen if it ended permanently.
    While I would love to see Anton present, I think I prefer him dancing with a celebrity and would love him to get someone with a chance of winning next year. I would also worry that people would like him even less than Bruce.
  • Options
    spider9spider9 Posts: 4,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brian Conley is the only person I would want to replace Bruce at the moment.

You need someone with humour, not just a presenter.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Or what about Angela Rippon?

For: She did Come Dancing, she has dance experience (think Morecambe and Wise) and she could handle the judges and stop them rioting.

Against: She hasn't had so much exposure recently and I don't think the GBP loves her as much as they love Bruce.
  • Options
    ESPIONdansantESPIONdansant Posts: 6,760
    Forum Member
    Time for a change.
    Lots of good ideas posted.
    Conley, Rippon, Norton, Tony Beak.

Bruce was better last night. His timing wasn't quite so laboured.
    Yeah, keep Craig and Bruno. With 2 proper pro dancers.

As for Tess? Ms Average in a big frock. No, the average woman has a lot more panache than Tess. I hope so or we are lost.....doomed...
  • Options
    birdsongbirdsong Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Vernon replaces Brucie and Tess stays I shall throw a brick through my TV!
  • Options
    blueabublueabu Posts: 1,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the_phoo wrote: »
    I think Anton likes the sound of his own voice too much to be any kind of a decent host. .

Exactly. He was awful on step up to the plate.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Bruce goes it would be good if he takes Alan Dedicot with him ! surely the Beeb can employ another voice over man Alan Dedicot voice is so annoying.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should turn the search for the new Bruce into a reality show.

That could be the ultimate in RTV disappearing up its own backside.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    Time for a mass extinction of all presenters and judges?
    Yes to the idea of Anton and Karen replacing Len and Arlene. No to Vernon Kay or anyone else who will cheese it up. Time for no-nonsense fast-paced change-overs, let the dancing speak for itself.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    COTTONHEAT wrote: »

and Arlene

LINK

The show could probably do with it. I used to watch it but I've grown a little bored of it this year and haven't bothered, the format is a bit tired and it needs freshening up a bit. This is the best opportunity to do that.

Maybe they could adopt the Dancing on Ice system and have so many set judges that return each year and have an extra judge which changes each year to keep the show fresh.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would love to see Paul O' Grady replacing Brucie. And he can bring Buster and Olga along with him. :D
  • Options
    IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aeryn wrote: »
    I would love to see Paul O' Grady replacing Brucie. And he can bring Buster and Olga along with him. :D
    I know I'm in the minority - but should Paul take Bruce's place I'd make sure I had the mute button handy.

Don't think he'd do it anyway - too many commitments could be damaging to his already questionable health.