Options

Most Underrated Films

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,910
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ang Lee's The Ice Storm springs to mind.

Craps all over the similarly themed American Beauty from a very great height yet it's the one film on Lee's CV which is virtually forgotten.

Comments

• Options
    yorkieUKyorkieUK Posts: 2,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salute of the Jugger. I think it was known as Blood of Heroes in the US.

Dogfight. Made around 1991 with River Phoenix.

One of my favourite films is Its a Wonderful Life. Hard to believe this was a boxoffice disaster when it was first released.
  • Options
    BradmanBradman Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    Nobody agrees with me but I think Three Days Of The Condor is one of the best thrillers ever made.
  • Options
    Nick_2005Nick_2005 Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bradman wrote: »
    Nobody agrees with me but I think Three Days Of The Condor is one of the best thrillers ever made.

Well I agree with you, excellent film :)
  • Options
    wombat79wombat79 Posts: 1,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Torch Song Trilogy - deserves to be much better known than it is.
  • Options
    DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 68,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arlington Road for me ~ fantastic film!
  • Options
    raidon04raidon04 Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Fountain (2006)- A Truly beautiful film
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    raidon04 wrote: »
    The Fountain (2006)- A Truly beautiful film

Yeah, I liked it too, but it's not as good as Pi or Requiem For A Dream, in my opinion.
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Die Another Day (Bond 20) . Some people think it went over the top with the Vanquish Car because apparently it was invisible. Actually it wasn't invisible but was made to appear so by camera on all side of the skin projecting images on the outside on its metal skin. The film was hardly my favourite but not worthy of the bad press it got.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've just described an invisible car. :D

It was a shit film. Madonna made it worse. Then you remember the face-altering device, that's just a piece of plastic with LEDs and fibre-optics in it to make it look high-tech, and you go, "man, this film really is a piece of shit".

I don't think it's Thunderball bad, but it's probably Brosnan's worst one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thunderball was bad? I'll have to watch it again sometime and make my own mind up about that.

Invisibility is a concept of science fiction. The Vanquish does not make that concept a reality. What it does is project images of its outside surroundings along its outer casing camouflaged and "invisible" to the casual eye. Look closely and you'll see it, especially when the car is moving with the camouflage on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I know all that, but it's easy to say "the one with the invisible car" instead of "the one with the car that reflects the outside of the vehicle onto the vehicle's surface.

Don't go all Q-Branch on me. ;)

Thunderball really is the most boring thing since There Will Be Blood. I couldn't wait for either film to end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thunderball came before "There will be Blood". ;););) But really there's a big difference between something that's camouflaged and simply invisible.

To say "invisible car" and put the movie down because of that (i'm not talking about you here) is just wrong in my opinion. I do agree there are some weak moments, but I think it's mostly down to the script the actors were given. It felt like what a Bond movie should be.

Btw you underrate There will be Blood very badly. Sure the dialogue is slow to begin with but it really picks up and there are some truly gripping scenes. Don't look at it as an action flick anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    Thunderball came before "There will be Blood". ;););) But really there's a big difference between something that's camouflaged and simply invisible.

To say "invisible car" and put the movie down because of that (i'm not talking about you here) is just wrong in my opinion. I do agree there are some weak moments, but I think it's mostly down to the script the actors were given. It felt like what a Bond movie should be.

Btw you underrate There will be Blood very badly. Sure the dialogue is slow to begin with but it really picks up and there are some truly gripping scenes. Don't look at it as an action flick anyway.

Er....erm...:o....I was referring to the lottery draw. Honestly, it's the most boring thing ever. I prefer Daily Play. (What's the emoticon for "phew"?)

You think that a camouflaged car and all that balls are "what a Bond movie should be". Thing is, because of the movies preceding Die Another Day, people actually start believing that this is what a Bond movie should be, and forget about the classical thing over technology. I remember when Bond's watch was special because it was waterproof.

I thought There Will Be Blood was another one where Daniel Day-Lewis was figuratively tossing himself off on camera. Self-indulgent bollocks, and undeserving of the praise it got.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol i didn't know, I thought we were talking movies here of which Thunderball is one. are you sure u didn't mean the bond film? ;)

We can forgive the Aston Martin adaptive camouflage. It's a real car, real device I personally have trouble with the Virtual Reality pod thing that Bond used for his training That's the stuff of Star Treks Holodeck. That as far as i;m concerned was pure fantasy on a level that shouldn't be seen in Bond.

However i still stand by what i say Die Another Day was underrated. :D
  • Options
    Auds77Auds77 Posts: 1,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wombat79 wrote: »

Agree and also Beautiful Thing. A lot of pre Brokeback Mountain gay themed films don't have a wide audience.
  • Options
    revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dead Presidents.
    Manhunter.
    At Close Range.
    Black Rain.
    Man On The Moon.
    Last Exit To Brooklyn.
    Cop Land.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    lol i didn't know, I thought we were talking movies here of which Thunderball is one. are you sure u didn't mean the bond film? ;)

We can forgive the Aston Martin adaptive camouflage. It's a real car, real device I personally have trouble with the Virtual Reality pod thing that Bond used for his training That's the stuff of Star Treks Holodeck. That as far as i;m concerned was pure fantasy on a level that shouldn't be seen in Bond.

However i still stand by what i say Die Another Day was underrated. :D

You're under-rated. :D

Die Another Day was kerrrrrrap!

That thing about the holo-deck in Bond. I'd forgotten about that. You're right. It was terrible. So how can you defend the film now that you've added to my ammunition stash? :cool:
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Control
    Children of Men

I missed both at the cinema as people weren't shouting from the rooftops and yet when I saw them on DVD - both those films - just brilliant.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gattaca
    Sneakers
    For Your Eyes Only

Also Godfather Part 3. It's considerably inferior to the first two, but if you take it on it's own merits it's not that bad (apart from the awful performance of Sofia Coppola)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ang Lee's The Ice Storm springs to mind.

Craps all over the similarly themed American Beauty from a very great height yet it's the one film on Lee's CV which is virtually forgotten.

Its got to be the Fountain. It got panned by critics yet its beautiful, thought provoking and touching. The film stayed with me ever since I watched it.

Magical movie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noir75 wrote: »
    Its got to be the Fountain. It got panned by critics yet its beautiful, thought provoking and touching. The film stayed with me ever since I watched it.

Magical movie.

I agree.
  • Options
    10000maniacs10000maniacs Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you want to see an extremely well made depiction of people living like animals and surrounded by scum, watch Last Exit to Brooklyn.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Revelian wrote: »
    That thing about the holo-deck in Bond. I'd forgotten about that. You're right. It was terrible. So how can you defend the film now that you've added to my ammunition stash? :cool:

I think we've established already that the Aston Martin thing was not part of your ammunition stash :D

The Holodeck thing did make for a funny gag at the end. How appropriate do you think that the last Bond Girl for Brosnan actually turned out to be MoneyPenny, even if it wasn't real. lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't care less, due to it being a rubbish film, unfortunately.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wombat79 wrote: »

Oh yes it was fantastic, I cried so much. Kiss of the Spider Woman was a great film, also now never seen on tv.
    (I was a **** hag, does it show :rolleyes: )

Come on Film 4, get the finger out and show some of these films and not at bl00dy 11.55pm.