Options

Do the scores really mean anything any more?

2»

Comments

• Options
    katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh the conspiracy theory gubbins again - :yawn:

That said I did think Lisa was somewhat over-marked - she was good but stumbled a bit again and to give her the same mark as Tom who was superb (and borderline perfect) and more than Cherie who whatever you think of her routinue performed it a lot more smoothly than Lisa did hers was ridiculous.
  • Options
    Yasmin26Yasmin26 Posts: 3,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quizmike wrote: »
    Just to correct a misconception here...

The scores have not been inflated this year. Indeed it's the opposite...

Here's the average of all the dances for the first 5 weeks of each series so far.
    Series 1 : 25.32 (34 dances) Highest 37. Lowest 15. 1 Ten awarded
    Series 2 : 24.80 (40 dances) Highest 35. Lowest 8. No Tens awarded.
    Series 3 : 25.42 (50 dances) Highest 36. Lowest 11. No Tens awarded.
    Series 4 : 26.30 (44 dances) Highest 36 Lowest 14. 1 Ten awarded.
    Series 5 : 27.04 (47 dances) Highest 36. Lowest 15. 1 Ten awarded.
    Series 6 : 25.86 (42 dances) Highest 35. Lowest 16. No Tens awarded.

So there you go. The scores are actually lower on average this series than the previous two series. Hope this helps :)

Thanks for that. I'm surprised by the results. But I see that the low score is highest this series.
    The_abbott wrote: »
    That is odd. I remember so many poor scores in Series 1 and 2. Must hav ebeen Brendan getting top marks in series 1.

Also don't forget that earlier series were only half as long as now so were at the Quarter final stage!

Good point. Although I didn't see series 1, I heard the scores were low, 40 was not even give out in the final.
    It's quite surprising to see the average scores for this year's strictly is less than in series 4.

My impression was that this year's dancers were generally better than series 4 ones.

:eek::eek: Observer are kidding me. No way in hell those lot are better dancers or performers than series 4 Celebrities. You know that wow factor everyone is looking for, series 4 had it and then some. Best series in my humble opinion.
    allisonbm2 wrote: »
    Len has never given lower than a 3 which was to Quentin

Series 1 he gave

1---4
    7---5's
    11--6's
    15--7's
    9--8's
    10--9's

Series 2 he gave

1---3
    2---4's
    7---5's
    9---6's
    16---7's
    17---8's
    11---9's
    1----10

Series 3 he gave

1---4
    6---5's
    14---6's
    16---7's
    24---8's
    22---9's
    4---10's

series 4 he gave

1---4
    3---5's
    14---6's
    20---7's
    24---8's
    28---9's
    4---10's

Series 5 he gave

3---5's
    8---6's
    27---7's
    25---8's
    25---9's
    12---10's

Series 6 so far

4---5's
    10---6's
    8---7's
    11---8's
    9---9's

based on R pungin's site..(I think its right,apologies for any slips)

I think I better start working really:o

Thank you Allison. Len is always very generous with his points as this shows. :)
  • Options
    SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yasmin26 wrote: »
    :eek::eek: Observer are kidding me. No way in hell those lot are better dancers or performers than series 4 Celebrities. You know that wow factor everyone is looking for, series 4 had it and then some. Best series in my humble opinion.

I started watching SCD in series 4. It will always be a special series for me. But as far as dancers were concerned, I can only remember some of Mark, Matt, Louisa and Carol's dances. Oh, I remember Emma's Samba as well. But the rest, I am not quite sure I could remember much, tbh. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I started watching SCD in series 4. It will always be a special series for me. But as far as dancers were concerned, I can only remember some of Mark, Matt, Louisa and Carol's dances. Oh, I remember Emma's Samba as well. But the rest, I am not quite sure I could remember much, tbh. :o

Don't forget Ray and Spoony. I think series 4 had something special bout it. I have not seen the standard of Louisa's Jive, Emma's American Smooth, Ray's VW, Matt's Waltz and Mark's salsa, Argentine Tango repeated. There are many more dances I have not mentioned, Honestly I just loved that series and it was the best one by far for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't forget Ray and Spoony. I think series 4 had something special bout it. I have not seen the standard of Louisa's Jive, Emma's American Smooth, Ray's VW, Matt's Waltz and Mark's salsa, Argentine Tango repeated. There are many more dances I have not mentioned, Honestly I just loved that series and it was the best one by far for me.

I agreed about Louisa's jive being very, very good. Can't remember much of Emma's AS (except the hair-pulling moment!), but I think her Samba is still standing the test of time. Ray's VW was good choreographically, but it wasn't delivered (technically wise) as well as, say, Gethin's (though Gethin has less of the VW and more of the beginning and the end, but when he's spinning, it was one of the best male-celeb VW imo). Matt's waltz is a revelation, but I like his American Smooth the best. He was very moving to watch him blosoomed with some help from that Jane girl! Mark's Salsa and Samba are still the best male-celeb effort in my opinion. Arguably Matt DA's Salsa in series 5 came really close. But I agree, Mark's AT is untouchable! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agreed about Louisa's jive being very, very good. Can't remember much of Emma's AS (except the hair-pulling moment!), but I think her Samba is still standing the test of time. Ray's VW was good choreographically, but it wasn't delivered (technically wise) as well as, say, Gethin's (though Gethin has less of the VW and more of the beginning and the end, but when he's spinning, it was one of the best male-celeb VW imo). Matt's waltz is a revelation, but I like his American Smooth the best. He was very moving to watch him blosoomed with some help from that Jane girl! Mark's Salsa and Samba are still the best male-celeb effort in my opinion. Arguably Matt DA's Salsa in series 5 came really close. But I agree, Mark's AT is untouchable! :D

That is why I was so disappointed with last year semi finals. Not one of them even come close to Mark AT. Emma samba was amazing and although I loved Gethin VW I thought Mark's one was better. I still remember that dress karen wore.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is why I was so disappointed with last year semi finals. Not one of them even come close to Mark AT. Emma samba was amazing and Mark VW, I still remember that dress karen wore.

Oh yeah, how can we forget Mark R's VW! It was VW from the beginning to the end! Others tried to muck about with the beginning and the end, but even Mark's neck has to dance at the end! :D

Chanel dress, was it, from Karen? Or Dior or something like that. Karen at her best. :)
  • Options
    fancynancyfancynancy Posts: 7,991
    Forum Member

And my goodness, didn't he look the part, too!:D

I'm hoping Cherie & James get the chance to do the AT - I reckon she'd do well with the flicky bendy leg stuff (sorry to get so technical!):D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yeah, how can we forget Mark R's VW! It was VW from the beginning to the end! Others tried to muck about with the beginning and the end, but even Mark's neck has to dance at the end! :D

Chanel dress, was it, from Karen? Or Dior or something like that. Karen at her best. :)

:D:D I like that. Maybe that's why I'm biased for that series. Mark's Journey is beautiful and I have not been affected by any dancer like I was with Mark(it has nothing to do with his good looks);). Alesha come close.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    katmobile wrote: »
    Oh the conspiracy theory gubbins again - :yawn:

That said I did think Lisa was somewhat over-marked - she was good but stumbled a bit again and to give her the same mark as Tom who was superb (and borderline perfect) and more than Cherie who whatever you think of her routinue performed it a lot more smoothly than Lisa did hers was ridiculous.

Oh, the rude posters again :yawn:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The scoring has definitely become a lot looser. Back in the day, a 30 (even low 30's) was rarer. Or at least, fewer of the dancers managed to acquire that kind of score. Though I would say the last few series have included a greater number of good dancers.

Really though, I think the leaderboard pretty much works itself out pretty well every week. It might be difficult to compare scores from series to series, but within each one, I think the scores are relatively accurate and fair.
  • Options
    QuizmikeQuizmike Posts: 5,972
    Forum Member

Here's the average of all the dances for the first 5 weeks of each series so far.

So there you go. The scores are actually lower on average this series than the previous two series. Hope this helps :)
    The scoring has definitely become a lot looser. Back in the day, a 30 (even low 30's) was rarer. Or at least, fewer of the dancers managed to acquire that kind of score. Though I would say the last few series have included a greater number of good dancers.

Really though, I think the leaderboard pretty much works itself out pretty well every week. It might be difficult to compare scores from series to series, but within each one, I think the scores are relatively accurate and fair.

See above. It hasn't. I can't understand why people think so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But as with all statistics (kudos to Mr Twain), it depends on what you pick. I've just randomnly selected Week 5 for each series. I think this is a fair comparator, excepting that in the last few series with the male/female split, Week 5 doesn't equate five weeks of the same intense dance experience and the results are as follows:

Average Scores

Series 1, Week 5 - 26.6
    Series 2, Week 5 - 27.8
    Series 3, Week 5 - 27.9
    Series 4, Week 5 - 29.1
    Series 5, Week 5 - 28.8
    Series 6, Week 5 - 31.4

Admittedly, Series 5 presents an anomaly, but it's still an increase from the first three series. The last few results are more remarkable by the fact that there was an inital male-female split reducing the amount of dances that had actually been performed by that point.

I'm afraid it's too late to go into every week at the moment!

But I think as others have written above, 9s have been given out progressively earlier on average, and lower scores are more rarely given. 10s have also been given out more and more on each series and to a broader range of couples.

I know taking the first five weeks produces a more balanced result than just the one I've taken here, but the variable of dance experience I highlighted will certainly have an effect on the outcome, for instance. I'm sure there are others variables too, but it's too late to think that much!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually, a final thought. I think we also have to consider the judges' willingness to use the higher scores as the series progresses, which averages won't show. By that I mean, in Series 1, Week 5 would have comparatively been quite close the to finale, and traditionally, the judges increase the amount of 9s and 10s especially as the series approaches the final stages. And, indeed, CRH had mentioned many times that he doesn't award 9s willy-nilly in the early few weeks, because it leaves them with nowhere to go. If this is true, it might not be all that a valuable comparison to make between the first five weeks of each series, seeing as how each is progressively longer. So the first ten of Series 2 was in Week 7 in the semi-final' week 7 isn't even half-way through this year! Clearly compared to later series, 10s have been awarded far before the semis and in greater numbers.

This, to me, would suggest the marking has become more generous.

Of course, we could always say, the dancing's got that much better!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But as with all statistics (kudos to Mr Twain), it depends on what you pick. I've just randomnly selected Week 5 for each series. I think this is a fair comparator, excepting that in the last few series with the male/female split, Week 5 doesn't equate five weeks of the same intense dance experience and the results are as follows:

Average Scores

Series 1, Week 5 - 26.6
    Series 2, Week 5 - 27.8
    Series 3, Week 5 - 27.9
    Series 4, Week 5 - 29.1
    Series 5, Week 5 - 28.8
    Series 6, Week 5 - 31.4

Admittedly, Series 5 presents an anomaly, but it's still an increase from the first three series. The last few results are more remarkable by the fact that there was an inital male-female split reducing the amount of dances that had actually been performed by that point.

I'm afraid it's too late to go into every week at the moment!

But I think as others have written above, 9s have been given out progressively earlier on average, and lower scores are more rarely given. 10s have also been given out more and more on each series and to a broader range of couples.

I know taking the first five weeks produces a more balanced result than just the one I've taken here, but the variable of dance experience I highlighted will certainly have an effect on the outcome, for instance. I'm sure there are others variables too, but it's too late to think that much!

Hi MrB,

Good figures! The first five seasons are correct but I make season 6 average to be 27.0

30,35,23,34,17,25,32,17,30,30,16,35 = 324 / 12 = 27

figures source http://ultimatestrictly.wordpress.com/strictly-come-dancing/series-6/weekly-results/week-5/

That makes it the lowest week five ever except for series 1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi MrB,

Good figures! The first five seasons are correct but I make season 6 average to be 27.0

30,35,23,34,17,25,32,17,30,30,16,35 = 324 / 12 = 27

figures source http://ultimatestrictly.wordpress.com/strictly-come-dancing/series-6/weekly-results/week-5/

That makes it the lowest week five ever except for series 1.

Oh dear. I had a feeling I might have done the last series wrong! I'm using Windows calculator which is terribly frustrating.

When was this statistician in me born? Medians next on the list... ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh dear. I had a feeling I might have done the last series wrong! I'm using Windows calculator which is terribly frustrating.

When was this statistician in me born? Medians next on the list... ;)

Lol. I hope I didn't sound "mean" :) (see what I did there??? Good God, I'm making statistician jokes now. Help!!!!!!) :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol. I hope I didn't sound "mean" :) (see what I did there??? Good God, I'm making statistician jokes now. Help!!!!!!) :)

Harharharhar! Very good, Sir. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,578
    Forum Member

Very interesting, and nice work.

However, if we accept that S1 was anomalous in many ways (small number of competitors, judges just finding their feet, etc.), and that the scores for S6 are bound to be lower at the moment (because of the lower overall standard), then S2 - S5 does show a slight upwards trend.

I'd expect the overall S6 average to be around 27.8 if that trend continues.