Options

Sack Jonathon Ross and Russell Brand Petition Thread

Comments

• Options
    KFAKFA Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If anyone has listened to the show, they would hear Russell leaving an answerphone message to Mr Sachs about not appearing on the show and then carried out a one-sided interview about his new show, during which Jonathan piped up with the line about his granddaughter. If anything, Russell had nothing to do with it. What I don't understand is why the profanity wasn't bleeped as it usually is, or the offensive segment edited out.

They have both now apologised and I think that's as far as it should go. If anyone hasn't heard it, please listen to it before passing judgement.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sacking is too good for them
    Burn them at the stake !!!! :-)
  • Options
    The PhazerThe Phazer Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    gottago wrote: »
    If people would actually listen to the entire incident they'd realise that the phone calls were perfectly harmless and were making light of the fact that Sachs' grand-daughter gets hired out to do weird gothic dances in peoples' homes, is all.

And I have to laugh at the way the news has completely blown out of proportion the "suicide" comments.

Well said. This whole thing is ludicrous.

Phazer
  • Options
    CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrew sachs has long since been out of the public eye,and living a quite life ,perhaps they should have chosen one of their peers rather then a 78 year old.
    This just goes to show you know nothing about what actually happened!

He was booked as a guest on the show - Andrew Sachs was there to promote something.

He gave them his telephone number, through which to conduct the interview, then refused to answer their calls.

You're just buying the Daily Mail version of events.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By the way channel 4 said the regulators had recieved around,1,500 compliants so far.
    Ofcom takes into account how many their receive after the press get the story and discount them.

Look at any number of high profile cases in Ofcom's past and you will see that.

Reports suggest there were only 2 complaints after the incident until the Dialy Mail got their grubby hands on it and made it into something it wasn't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fugitive wrote: »
    The BBC has launched a review into its programme clearance procedures after receiving over 500 complaints about an episode of Russell Brand's Radio 2 programme where he and Jonathan Ross left a series of crude voicemails on Fawlty Towers star Andrew Sachs' mobile.

The corporation has also issued a formal apology to Sachs "for the offence caused".

546 people so far have complained to the BBC about the broadcast, which went out on Saturday, October 18. During the broadcast, Ross suggested that Brand had "f**ked" Sachs' granddaughter and the pair subsequently joked that the actor might kill himself.

"We have received a letter of a complaint from Mr Sachs' agent and would like to sincerely apologise to Mr Sachs for the offence caused," the BBC said in a statement. "We recognise that some of the content broadcast was unacceptable and offensive.

"We are reviewing how this came about and are responding to Mr Sachs personally. We also apologise to listeners for any offence caused."

These two are an absolute disgrace. They are not clever or funny. And its absolutely mistifying why the British public allow the BBC to spend millions of licence payers money employing these two talentless overpaid cretins.

Please leave a message here to get Ross and Brand off our screens and Radios. And we will forward this thread to the BBC. Thankyou.

Oh come on where is your sense of humor it was funny:D
  • Options
    grabbigrabbi Posts: 5,428
    Forum Member
    fugitive wrote: »
    These two are an absolute disgrace. They are not clever or funny. And its absolutely mistifying why the British public allow the BBC to spend millions of licence payers money employing these two talentless overpaid cretins.

Please leave a message here to get Ross and Brand off our screens and Radios. And we will forward this thread to the BBC. Thankyou.

I actually beg to differ. I find this extremely funny, and very clever!

Fact is, Chris Moyles and other stations (Like Rock FM) have done the same... everyone is just throwing a paddy because its Brand and Ross.

Brand is also known for doing stuff like this. God knows what Ross was thinking, but it was DAMN funny. Hillarious, infact, and I stand in 100% support of this whole prank.

At the end of the day, its not you they are offending, so why take it upon yourself to view dismay about it?

Another instance of people trying to be Politically Correct? NO THANKS...

Theres no boundaries in comedy, and thats something people need to get over.
  • Options
    Bob22ABob22A Posts: 6,830
    Forum Member
    robbie1123 wrote: »
    Oh come on where is your sense of humor it was funny:D

Well we can see the people that suport the BBC are as disgusting as these employees of the BBC.

Are you seriouly say you regarded it as aceptable for them to make filthy disgusting phone calls? Because any sane person word not.
  • Options
    Bob22ABob22A Posts: 6,830
    Forum Member
    grabbi wrote: »
    I actually beg to differ. I find this extremely funny, and very clever!

Fact is, Chris Moyles and other stations (Like Rock FM) have done the same... everyone is just throwing a paddy because its Brand and Ross.

Brand is also known for doing stuff like this. God knows what Ross was thinking, but it was DAMN funny. Hillarious, infact, and I stand in 100% support of this whole prank.

At the end of the day, its not you they are offending, so why take it upon yourself to view dismay about it?

Another instance of people trying to be Politically Correct? NO THANKS...

Theres no boundaries in comedy, and thats something people need to get over.

Well it appears the police are not taking it so lightly and may bring charges.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cent wrote: »
    This just goes to show you know nothing about what actually happened!

He was booked as a guest on the show - Andrew Sachs was there to promote something.

He gave them his telephone number, through which to conduct the interview, then refused to answer their calls.

You're just buying the Daily Mail version of events.

Yes andrew sachs may have been there to promote something, i am aware although you say i was not, of how they got his number.

He may have not answerd their call, However i know of many 78 year olds with memory loss,i work in the nhs so am aware of that happening.Even if you are not.

Please look at the bigger picture,which is what happened after he did not answer their calls.It was not nice.

By the way you are very rude. in saying"This goes to show you know nothing about what actually happened"

If i may say so this comment could have been one of mr rosses!
  • Options
    Toxteth O'GradyToxteth O'Grady Posts: 8,511
    Forum Member
    By the way channel 4 said the regulators had recieved around,1,500 compliants so far.

But how many of them actually heard the programme? few if any. There was nothing about this in the week after it happened, now everyone's up in arms just because it was in the paper. Where were all the complaints and outrage last week? :rolleyes:

It was a lapse in editorial judgment, but if any heads should roll over it then they should be the ones of the producer(s) not the presenters... this is exactly the sort of thing that producers are paid for!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bob22A wrote: »
    Well it appears the police are not taking it so lightly and may bring charges.
    I'm sure when the police actually listen to the messages they will realise how innocent and funny the messages are and how nice they are to him, despite the fact he refused to conduct a pre-arranged interview with them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bob22A wrote: »
    Well we can see the people that suport the BBC are as disgusting as these employees of the BBC.

Are you seriouly say you regarded it as aceptable for them to make filthy disgusting phone calls? Because any sane person word not.
    Have you actually read what was said?

Not isolated comments or "they hinted this..", but the actual words?

No-one would describe those messages as flithy and disgusting.

They took the joke way too far, but it was light-hearted and funny- they did not do it offend him. They were having a joke with him - though they took it a bit too far and as a result Andrew Sachs does not seem to see the funny side.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    Chris Moyles, seeing as you mention him, is another in the same vein as Wossy and Brand.

These people should not be let loose on the airwaves, and the incident in question was appalling. Brand is not a comedian, he is a child who is given lots of money by the BBC to do what the hell he wants. Wossy is little better, and he did apologise early on but still carried on with these calls.

The problem is that many other DJ's on smaller stations will do the same thing, because they now think it's OK. It ISN'T. The BBC/Ofcom/whoever must treat these two with the punishment they deserve.

Sack them now. There are plenty good broadcasters out there who will fill their shoes.

Anybody who finds this, or them, funny is just as bad.

Cheers,

Steve P.
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    In case anyone hasn't heard it, here it is. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=U7IHJ66wj9g
  • Options
    bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Russell Brand show is recorded i think, which bosses at the BBC have to listen to before putting out on air, so someone made a huge mistake by approve this for airtime:confused:

Yes sack the both of them:confused:
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But how many of them actually heard the programme? few if any. There was nothing about this in the week after it happened, now everyone's up in arms just because it was in the paper. Where were all the complaints and outrage last week? :rolleyes:

It was a lapse in editorial judgment, but if any heads should roll over it then they should be the ones of the producer(s) not the presenters... this is exactly the sort of thing that producers are paid for!

I agree 100/% i said in an earlier posting they should not be sacked.

The people at the bbc who agreed to it ie,the editorial staff should be.

Although mr ross getting many millions of pounds out of us via the beeb,should for that kind of money have shown better judgement.
  • Options
    freedomordeathfreedomordeath Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    Is this a joke?

what is wrong with people these days?

you can't say anything
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are people like Russell Brand and Dermot O'Leary doing on Radio 2 anyway? They are more suited to Radio 1. I miss the old-style "easy listening" Radio 2 and James Moir should never have been allowed to get his hands on the station.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    They do what they like cuz Joe/Josephine public has to pay all the bills and like it. Do you really think the BBC cares what you and I think? nahhhh you pay up on your License fee or we will put you in prison is the motto at the Beeb. its a sad fact that this is what happens when you let a public broadcaster with no revenue to find and lots of money to pay its 5 star celebrities repays the punters

Don't read the DM. My thoughts are my own. Remember you are paying (dearly) for this rubbish.

Talented? Then I am an absolute genius.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this a joke?

what is wrong with people these days?

you can't say anything
    I know it ridiculious!

Its all this political correctness crap - you cant even tell a joke on the radio now without some nutcase phoning Ofcom.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, and as for Brand and Ross' actions, I'll sign this petition as both should go. Whilst I've only read the papers' account of what happened to go on, it's disgraceful that a senior producer allowed their prank to go out on air.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lndac02 wrote: »
    They do what they like cuz Joe/Josephine public has to pay all the bills and like it. Do you really think the BBC cares what you and I think? nahhhh you pay up on your License fee or we will put you in prison is the motto at the Beeb. its a sad fact that this is what happens when you let a public broadcaster with no revenue to find and lots of money to pay its 5 star celebrities repays the punters
    They only pay Jonathan Ross £6m a year to do 2 TV shows and a radio show.

That is a tiny, tiny fraction of the licence fee and if they werent paying him that they would need to pay someone to take over the radio show, someone to take over Film 200? and then find 35 hours of Friday night programming per year - that would cost a hell of a lot more than £6m.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GH Online wrote: »
    Oh, and as for Brand and Ross' actions, I'll sign this petition as both should go. Whilst I've only read the papers' account of what happened...
    So you're demanding that they are sacked while admitting that you haven't actually heard the evidence?

That just about sums up this forum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the press' account of what happened seems pretty clear-cut to me.