Options

Doctor 11 - who do you want

Comments

• Options
    mabbus-cattus1mabbus-cattus1 Posts: 5,777
    Forum Member
    nate1970 wrote: »
    Not to have a dig at your good self, but people are suggesting actors who've previously played very serious characters, without proven comedy chops.

Although I'm not a fan of changing the Doctor's skin colour (imabsolutelynotaracistpleaseletsnotgetintoitthanks), I think Patterson Joseph is the best suggestion yet, in terms of having the ability to switch rapidly between comedy and drama (not to mention being a great actor).

Rupert Penry Jones features very heavily in this thread. .

This thread is asking for peoples opinion about who "they" want to be the next doctor so whether I choose Rupert Penry Jones or for example Gethin Jones, its about who I'd like to see in the role not whether they have played "serious" characters previously.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,400
    Forum Member
    Eddie Izzard
    Jason Issacs

Please no more pretty boys & chav birds in dr who.

:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    Rhys Ifans
  • Options
    PANNAL1PANNAL1 Posts: 8,905
    Forum Member
    Anthony Head would be a good choice
  • Options
    nate1970nate1970 Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread is asking for peoples opinion about who "they" want to be the next doctor so whether I choose Rupert Penry Jones or for example Gethin Jones, its about who I'd like to see in the role not whether they have played "serious" characters previously.

Sure, but you can't throw a name out there and expect people not to comment. As much as I think RPJ did an excellent job in Spooks (especially when the scripts were half-decent), I don't think he can do the 'twinkly mania' associated with the Doctor's character. That is my comment.
  • Options
    mabbus-cattus1mabbus-cattus1 Posts: 5,777
    Forum Member
    nate1970 wrote: »
    Sure, but you can't throw a name out there and expect people not to comment. As much as I think RPJ did an excellent job in Spooks (especially when the scripts were half-decent), I don't think he can do the 'twinkly mania' associated with the Doctor's character. That is my comment.

Whilst I agree about the “twinkly mania” I think each Doctor (new and old) brings something very different and engaging in their own right. It is as much to do with the writers/directors etc., how the actor portrays the character of the Doctor as it is the actor’s ability to play the role.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    Very much doubt somebody like Rupert Perry Jones would go from one series like Spooks where he felt he would be typecasts to something like Dr Who.

It would probably someone who is quirky who the public could warm to. I don't think we will be told who it is until we actually see him or her regenerate into the Dr in DT's final episode which will almost likely be the Christmas 2009 special.

Some of the actors mentioned maybe to serious actors to pull of being Dr Who. Also I don't think it would be someone who is an household name. They probably be somebody we recognise but not 100% sure where we know them from.

Liking the idea of Dexter Fletcher. Not a too serious actor who could actually pull if off.

How about Max Beesley too? or would he be too serious?
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andrew71 wrote: »
    Some of the actors mentioned maybe too serious actors to pull of being Dr Who.
    But surely you mean "too serious actors to pull off being the current version of Dr Who, e.g. twinkly mania (as someone put it) and cheeky grins"

Maybe the next version of the Doctor will revert to Hartnell's grumpy old man?
    andrew71 wrote: »
    It would probably someone who is quirky who the public could warm to. I don't think we will be told who it is until we actually see him or her regenerate into the Dr in DT's final episode which will almost likely be the Christmas 2009 special.
    As someone posting on a spoiler-iffic internet forum, and I assume as someone who has heard of newspapers, do you seriously think that we won't know who the next Doctor is until the show goes out? :D

I mean keeping the exact episode Rose returned in secret is one thing (although we all knew she was back) but unless they don't start filming the new series until after the specials have been broadcast there's no way on Earth it will be secret.

(Unless they film every episode six times using a different actor each time)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know if others have seen it or not, but this the tube talk interview from one of the contestants being betted for Doctor 11.....

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/blog/tubetalk/

Very interesting indeed!
  • Options
    Hollo and GonchHollo and Gonch Posts: 4,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ The footnote is particularly interesting:

"(*) Now, I have it on veeeeery good authority that the next Doctor has already been chosen. It's an interesting new direction, and the choice (assuming no changes of heart) will probably surprise - and divide - many. The name I've heard isn't Paterson Joseph. Or John Simm. Or James Nesbitt."

Interesting new direction... surprise and divide... hmm, intriguing!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

"(*) Now, I have it on veeeeery good authority that the next Doctor has already been chosen. It's an interesting new direction, and the choice (assuming no changes of heart) will probably surprise - and divide - many. The name I've heard isn't Paterson Joseph. Or John Simm. Or James Nesbitt."

I know I'm getting even more excited....I mean if that is true, then I wonder when exactly the revelation will take place??????
  • Options
    mrellis33mrellis33 Posts: 2,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it its a female doctor then i'm switching off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Apparently Jack Davenport is in the frame...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=Hollo and Gonch;28453945"(*) Now, I have it on veeeeery good authority that the next Doctor has already been chosen. It's an interesting new direction, and the choice (assuming no changes of heart) will probably surprise - and divide - many. The name I've heard isn't Paterson Joseph. Or John Simm. Or James Nesbitt."

[/QUOTE]

Harry Lloyd - I bet my right foot!
  • Options
    CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm quite liking the Adrian Edmondson idea...but obviously not playing his "violent nutter" character.

The idea of a slightly older, slightly chubby, balding, eccentric, slightly "mad scientist" Doctor is quite appealing. I'm not sure another "eye candy" Doc is needed..

...they can always chuck in a young attractive male assistant to fill that requirement.
  • Options
    The LensThe Lens Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, assuming that David Morrisey's character in The Next Doctor really is a future incarnation of The Doctor, then surely, as the title suggests, he is the next Doctor.

Having introduced the Doctor's future self this Christmas, why would they then leave DM waiting around for X no. of years before taking up the role?

Would they really cast two or three Doctor's ahead?

It doesn't seem logical to me at all.

To be introduced to a new Doctor a year ahead would be truly ground-breaking for the series. The Tenth Doctor knows his time is running out, and so do we, BUT, neither he or us know why or when.

What an intriguing set up for the specials that would be...
  • Options
    mutant_rabbitmutant_rabbit Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    crazzyaz7 wrote: »
    I don't know if others have seen it or not, but this the tube talk interview from one of the contestants being betted for Doctor 11.....

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/blog/tubetalk/

Very interesting indeed!

Russell Tovey for Doctor Who!
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I can well believe this.

DT was earmarked for the role long before we knew anything about it and his exit has obviously been well known by the production team for quite some time.

For me, his replacement needs two key qualities: an ability to play comedy as well as drama and to flip effortlessly between the two; and a willingness to connect with the audience off-screen as well as on. DT has excelled in both of these (as did Tom Baker) and we need a credible successor with these qualities.

As for the title of the Xmas special: RTD loves playing games with the audience ('The Doctor's Daughter') so I'm not entirely sure everything will be exactly it might appear ... although David Morrissey would be great - as would Jason Isaacs or Harry Lloyd.

I thought James Nesbitt had ruled himself out some time ago anyway?:confused:
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 116,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morrisey would be great.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    any takers on Jonathan Rhys Meyers,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CM wrote: »
    Robson Green.

oh please no i've never understood why any one likes him the guy is dead from the neck up
  • Options
    mrellis33mrellis33 Posts: 2,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its hard to tell whats going to happen. Moffat would have had to give RTD permission to recruit David Morrisey as the next doctor as the special seems to suggest, I'm just not convinced thats going to happen.

I'm sure someone has been approached by now and I think we might see them in the final scene of the final DT special, It wouldn't surprise me if Moffat is writing the final special with RTD.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Lens wrote: »
    To be introduced to a new Doctor a year ahead would be truly ground-breaking for the series. The Tenth Doctor knows his time is running out, and so do we, BUT, neither he or us know why or when. What an intriguing set up for the specials that would be...
    Just to pull on that thread until it falls apart...

Unless the next incarnation of the Doctor said "Oh I remember this adventure, umm that means you have exactly 74 days left or if you prefer that's 72 meals, 128 visits to the toilet or 11 alien encounters...sometimes more than one of those at the same time." then the Doctor surely wouldn't have any know sense of his time running out then you are I do.

We both know that some day we will die, though we have no idea why or when. The Doctor whould be no different. He is though in a far better position than us because he knows that when that fateful day day does arrive, he gets another go afterwards.

In another way though The Doctor is in a worse position than us. If we were told "You will die in Inverness on October 31st, 2024" then we'd know we have exactly 16 years to go (if we believed such a looney of course). But say the same to The Doctor and he doesn't know if he is due to step out of the Tardis into Inverness in 2024 tomorrow, the next day, three months time, sixteen years time, or seventy eight years later.

Of course on the day he does look down and see a copy of the Inverness News dated October 31st, 2024 he might think "Oh C/ck". :D
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I reckon Kris Marshall would be great in the role

A earlier poster made this suggestion and I would have to agree. I'm going down the bookies and whacking a fiver on that.
  • Options
    stevebrownstevebrown Posts: 1,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simon Pegg would be a good choice IMO.