Options

Weekend Away but OH's friends boyfriend has died.

daniel hallidaydaniel halliday Posts: 863
Forum Member
✭✭
ok this is my and the OH's weekend away, we are going to London, fancy hotel,tkts to the SCD show at the bbc, shops ect, well i guess you get the drift,

now i have planned it to perfection and it has cost a lot of money, even though we are insured cancelling would still mean we lost some money, now here comes the dilemma or so the OH thinks so, her friends boyfriend died and we heard the funeral is Saturday, now the friend was around tonight piling on the pressure for the OH to stay up here and be with her at the funeral and be there for her all weekend,

i know how upsetting death is and i'm not unsympathetic but after she went away the OH told me we have to cancel as it is unfair to expect her friend to deal with this on her own, i said no to cancelling as she has other friends and plenty of family around to be there for her, anyway all hell broke lose when i said well i'm going, she has stormed off calling me a monster,i'm not a monster and i always tell her how much i love her,

i'm sorry he's dead but its our birthdays this weekend and we have not had a holiday/short break together for three years because of work,and the last time we were due to go away for a weekend her friend go upset about it and took an overdose, now the only way i would cancel if it was either of our families who had sadly passed away, certainly not for a friend's OH,

Comments

• Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok this is my and the OH's weekend away, we are going to London, fancy hotel,tkts to the SCD show at the bbc, shops ect, well i guess you get the drift,

now i have planned it to perfection and it has cost a lot of money, even though we are insured cancelling would still mean we lost some money, now here comes the dilemma or so the OH thinks so, her friends boyfriend died and we heard the funeral is Saturday, now the friend was around tonight piling on the pressure for the OH to stay up here and be with her at the funeral and be there for her all weekend,

i know how upsetting death is and i'm not unsympathetic but after she went away the OH told me we have to cancel as it is unfair to expect her friend to deal with this on her own, i said no to cancelling as she has other friends and plenty of family around to be there for her, anyway all hell broke lose when i said well i'm going, she has stormed off calling me a monster,i'm not a monster and i always tell her how much i love her,

i'm sorry he's dead but its our birthdays this weekend and we have not had a holiday/short break together for three years because of work,and the last time we were due to go away for a weekend her friend go upset about it and took an overdose, now the only way i would cancel if it was either of our families who had sadly passed away, certainly not for a friend's OH,

She's not doing it for a friend's OH - she is doing it for HER FRIEND - you obviously have no concept of what that means - and I don't have time to explain it to you :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,168
    Forum Member
    even if you do still go away do you think she will be able to enjoy herself? or be eaten up with guilt....
  • Options
    ValLambertValLambert Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm thinking she might chuck you soon if you carry on.
  • Options
    moonbabymoonbaby Posts: 2,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You sound very selfish.

Her friend has lost her boyfriend. Have some sympathy! You can re-arrange the trip to London.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you prepared to ignore your soon to be Ex's feelings go ahead.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I have just re-read the OP :

"... and the last time we were due to go away for a weekend her friend go upset about it and took an overdose, "

Am I understanding this right ?

Your OH's friend took an overdose because you and your OH were going away for the weekend ????
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    I dont think you are being unreasonable here, you have most probably had this planned and booked for a while. It is a hard one really. Her friend obviuosly needs your OH but she should and most probably will have her friends and family around her. People cant expect others to drop things for them really. Im sure you have not booked this to fall at the time of his funeral. I doubt he would want you to drop things for his funeral.

I can see why your OH is upset though because if she doesnt go she doesnt want her friend to think she isnt really a friend etc...
  • Options
    moonbabymoonbaby Posts: 2,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I have just re-read the OP :"... and the last time we were due to go away for a weekend her friend go upset about it and took an overdose, "Am I understanding this right ?* Your OH's friend took an overdose because you and your OH were going away for the weekend ????
    I know that doesn't make sense to me. Why would someone do that?:confused:More likely she was depressed and took and would have taken an overdose regardless.
  • Options
    duckapluckduckapluck Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't you go anyway and take another friend, your girlfriend is wanting to do the right thing in regards to her friend.

As another poster said i think if you insist on going she is not going to enjoy herself and will feel guilty, not only that but all the time she is with you she will think your extremely heartless.

As another poster said you may find yourself dumped.

A little compassion is needed from you IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moonbaby wrote: »
    You sound very selfish.

Her friend has lost her boyfriend. Have some sympathy! You can re-arrange the trip to London.

no i'm not selfish, a trip which is to celebrate her birthday and mine which was also to coincide with a trip in a hot air balloon over leeds castle in kent where i was going to propose to her,
    Sorry, I have just re-read the OP :

"... and the last time we were due to go away for a weekend her friend go upset about it and took an overdose, "

Am I understanding this right ?

Your OH's friend took an overdose because you and your OH were going away for the weekend ????

yes we were going to new york for a xmas shopping trip, as she was having major probs with her best friend,my oh was under pressure from the moment we started dating to dump me because her best mate hated me and still does with a passion, anyway she took an overdose and as the love of my life was feeling guilty i decided to cancel the trip so she could be with her, that trip cost us both almost two grand,

the oh's sister and parents tried to talk to her and make her see that she deserves to be happy an enjoy her trip away, my oh has been through hell because of her best friend since they were teens, both her and i have done everything we can to help and no matter what me and the oh has is worth fighting for and while i would never say its me or the best mate, i can say with all honesty that her friend would say the opposite,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duckapluck wrote: »
    Why don't you go anyway and take another friend, your girlfriend is wanting to do the right thing in regards to her friend.

As another poster said i think if you insist on going she is not going to enjoy herself and will feel guilty, not only that but all the time she is with you she will think your extremely heartless.

As another poster said you may find yourself dumped.

A little compassion is needed from you IMO.

if you read my previous post you will understand why i want her to come, i dread to think whats going to happen if the relationship lead to marriage, her best friend will not like that either,:mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there another female friend who could have a word with the bereaved lady and basically break it gently what your plans included? I know this would not go down great as the friend has just lost her partner....however, she may love her friend (your gf) enough to see that her happiness and future are also very important!

Gawd, I'd hate to be in your gf's shoes....if you go, your gf feels like crap, if she stays you get pissed off, and she still feels bad!:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think whatever you do, one of you isn't going to be happy with the decision. I can't see your OH being able to enjoy herself, when her friend is going to be on her mind. As you had such big plans for the weekend, perhaps you & your OH could take some flowers round to her friend the day before you go away, so that she can show her respects & support - that might make her feel better about being away for the actual funeral, & maybe she'll be happy doing that.

If that's not possible, then I think cancellation of the trip is the only way around it. Yes, you'll lose some money, but at least you'll still have your girlfriend, & there's nothing to stop you proposing to her another time. Although you want to make it a special occasion, it doesn't have to be full of frills & fancies to be memorable. If she wants to be around to support her friend when she needs her most, you'll have to accept that. Money comes a very poor second to compassion, & if the money's worrying you it will cost you less than £50 to get a bottle of her favourite wine in or some champers & some flowers & propose at home. :)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you think she murdered her boyfriend so she could stop your gf from going away with you then?:D:D

Seriously though its a tough one. You can understand your girlfriend wanting to be there for her friend, but you're going to loose a lot of money if you cancel. Must be annoying if your friend mucked up your trip before a well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you really need to sort out why you are proposing to her. If it's to pledge your undying love then there is no better way than letting her be with her friend and maybe going down on one knee without all the flummery. If it's just to show off how much money you can spend well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there another female friend who could have a word with the bereaved lady and basically break it gently what your plans included? I know this would not go down great as the friend has just lost her partner....However, she may love her friend (your gf) enough to see that her happiness and future are also very important!

Gawd, I'd hate to be in your gf's shoes....if you go, your gf feels like crap, if she stays you get pissed off, and she still feels bad!:(

even though i was really peeved with the oh, i would never hold it against her or make her feel guilty about any decision she makes,i would support her no matter what, its sad to reveal this but my oh is her only real friend because of the spitefull nasty behaviour to others in the past, i really wish there was another female who could have a word,
    I think whatever you do, one of you isn't going to be happy with the decision. I can't see your OH being able to enjoy herself, when her friend is going to be on her mind. As you had such big plans for the weekend, perhaps you & your OH could take some flowers round to her friend the day before you go away, so that she can show her respects & support - that might make her feel better about being away for the actual funeral, & maybe she'll be happy doing that.

If that's not possible, then I think cancellation of the trip is the only way around it. Yes, you'll lose some money, but at least you'll still have your girlfriend, & there's nothing to stop you proposing to her another time. If she wants to be around to support her friend when she needs her most, you'll have to accept that. Money comes a very poor second to compassion.

sadly i checked the small print but the insurance does not cover cancellation due to death unless its immediate family, i agree regarding money and compassion, i was going to say we can try and postpone it until during the argument the oh uttered 'melanie has said to tell you the trip is to be cancelled because she wants me with her at the funeral' how would anyone react to that?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm assuming the bereaved lady has family, can they not intervene if you have a word regarding your plans?

I'm guessing that any family will be there too, to support their relation?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sulriss wrote: »
    Do you think she murdered her boyfriend so she could stop your gf from going away with you then?:D:D

Seriously though its a tough one. You can understand your girlfriend wanting to be there for her friend, but you're going to loose a lot of money if you cancel. Must be annoying if your friend mucked up your trip before a well.

that made me smile, thanx :)

annoying yes,frustrating as hell also, but if she feels she needs to be with her then i guess thats what will happen, i know i could never go without her, some good news i meant to tell you all, i'm not required to attend the funeral or better still the friend prefers i don't go,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sadly i checked the small print but the insurance does not cover cancellation due to death unless its immediate family, i agree regarding money and compassion, i was going to say we can try and postpone it until during the argument the oh uttered 'melanie has said to tell you the trip is to be cancelled because she wants me with her at the funeral' how would anyone react to that?
    Oh, I thought you could cancel & get even a partial refund. :( I'd tell her that it doesn't matter what her friend thinks should be done, it's what the two of you can agree on that's the point. I totally understand that the friend is grieving, but if you can't afford to lose the money, then you do need to tell your OH how you feel & offer some sort of compromise. Maybe it would be possible to cancel part of the weekend so that she can go to the funeral & then go away with you afterwards. Maybe it would be OK to bring flowers & pay respects the day before.

My OH & I are going away on a really good trip next year & we haven't been able to go on such a holiday in years, partly because of finances but also my health. We'll be in the same position cancellation-wise, so we've already agreed between us that unless something happens to one of us or direct family or serious damage happens to the house, we won't be cancelling it whatever other people think. You & your OH could have been facing the same decision about your wedding, your honeymoon, moving house. You need to talk to each other. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm assuming the bereaved lady has family, can they not intervene if you have a word regarding your plans?

I'm guessing that any family will be there too, to support their relation?

yes she has family not that would do any good as they have a similar nature and as bad a reputation as her so its best to keep as far away a possible from them, the oh is home again now and in bed so i'm going through to talk to her, she said her mum reminded her off all the selfish things and lies the friend has uttered about her over the years and its time that amanda (the oh) puts herself and her future first,

but because i love her i am going to try and move things and re arrange the flights ect and if needs be lie so she does not lose out,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    some good news i meant to tell you all, i'm not required to attend the funeral or better still the friend prefers i don't go,
    Oh no - no way. Even if you've done something that's caused personal offence, for them to say you should cancel your trip but you're not wanted at the funeral isn't on. Putting the trip to one side, you're a couple, so if she wants one of you she should accept the other - it's a funeral, not a party. If you're not welcome there, your OH will need to choose between the two of you. If a friend said that to me about my OH in the same situation, I would spend time with her in the lead-up to the funeral & would definitely take flowers round the day before but I wouldn't be at the funeral itself, because I wouldn't be prepared to have my OH left out of things, even more so if he'd cancelled a trip to allow us to be there. If he didn't want to go & was hoping he wouldn't have to, that's one thing. But if my OH hasn't done anything to deserve the snub, no-one, absolutely no-one, would tell me my OH wasn't welcome & expect me to be there without him. Her Mum is right - if this is the way the friend behaves normally, your OH will have to put herself & you first, otherwise she'll always be expected to drop things for her. Would this friend do it for her if the situation was reversed?

I don't understand why she feels such loyalty to a friend who talks badly about her anyway. She sounds more like a user than a friend to me. :confused:
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't like the friend, the friend doesn't like you.

You seem to be making her choose between you.

Choices like that never end well.

Insist she sticks to your plans, and she will resent you. Cancel your plans and you will resent her. Not a good situation.

Personally, I'd be inclined to cancel the plans in a show of support for my partner. SCD will be around for years (and if you don't show up early enough, there is no guarantee you'll get in anyway), funerals tend to be a one off:o
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a tough one OP, i've heard SCD tickets for the actual BBC show are hard to come by, I think it's a bit unfair you're plans having to be cancelled, i'd understand if it was a relative or her actual friend had died, but it was her friends boyfriend, like you say, she's got her family there for support.
  • Options
    duckapluckduckapluck Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't like the friend, the friend doesn't like you.

You seem to be making her choose between you.

Choices like that never end well.

Insist she sticks to your plans, and she will resent you. Cancel your plans and you will resent her. Not a good situation.

Personally, I'd be inclined to cancel the plans in a show of support for my partner. SCD will be around for years (and if you don't show up early enough, there is no guarantee you'll get in anyway), funerals tend to be a one off:o

We hope so anyway!!!

I never heard of funerals being held on a Saturday though is that a new thing or a religious thing?
  • Options
    mrsparadoxmrsparadox Posts: 1,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, if your girlfriend does decide to go on your weekend away do not propose, that moment is supposed to be magical and it certainly won't be the right "moment" for your girlfriend.

I personally think you should cancel and as much as you much as you are fuming inside, try to supportive and understanding.