Options

Areas with crap commercial radio choice?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, only on DAB.
  • Options
    Les WiresLes Wires Posts: 6,610
    Forum Member
    Birmingham!

One of the worst areas in the UK with very poor choice of radio.

Having travelled up and down the UK...Birmingham has to have the worst choice of radio which is rather a shame being the UK's second city.

I think Birmingham has a very good choice, not necessarily for the anorak but the average listener.

BRMB, Heart, Smooth, Kerrang, Touch, Gold, Galaxy and depending what side of Brum you live there are ...Mercia, Beacon, Leicester Sound, Wyvern. Add to that the numerous pirates playing their Dance music it aint that bad.

A lot better than it used to be.....well a part from the loss of the excellent Xtra AM and Beacon 303.
  • Options
    hotguy25hotguy25 Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    essex radio aint that bad. i used to live near colchester and could get all the main london stations.
    i used to listen to kiss 100 clearly (much better than vibe fm was back in the day)
  • Options
    Andy CarltonAndy Carlton Posts: 4,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Les Wires wrote: »
    I think Birmingham has a very good choice, not necessarily for the anorak but the average listener.

BRMB, Heart, Smooth, Kerrang, Touch, Gold, Galaxy and depending what side of Brum you live there are ...Mercia, Beacon, Leicester Sound, Wyvern. Add to that the numerous pirates playing their Dance music it aint that bad.

A lot better than it used to be.....well a part from the loss of the excellent Xtra AM and Beacon 303.

Mercia/Beacon/BRMB/ Leicester Sound/Wyvern are all the same with a similar networked output.

Touch is the only one that does anything for me and Kerrang is a decent listen most of the time, but rumour has it that that the Kerrang name will be short lived. :(
  • Options
    Tenacious PeeTenacious Pee Posts: 1,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In Inverness all we get is

BBC
    1,2,3,4,Scotland, Nan Gael,

Commerical

Talksport AM (poor reception) Absolute 1215(what reception)
    MFR FM (Bauer Clone Station) Classic FM

And our DAB choice isn't much better
  • Options
    atkinsatkins Posts: 1,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beacon and BRMB are almost the same due to networking.

It is almost comical that the two stations which overlap greatly have more or less the same output.

Signal 1 is definately not my choice of radio...once a fantastic station, now you can predict what's next on the playlist. The only station I listen to which has a near decent variety is Touch which their TSA is just a couple of miles outide of where I live.

Beacon and BRMB are not officially aimed at the same area though.
  • Options
    atkinsatkins Posts: 1,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MediaFM wrote: »
    No, only on DAB.

Therefore you can receive Kiss.
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Birmingham!

One of the worst areas in the UK with very poor choice of radio.

Having travelled up and down the UK...Birmingham has to have the worst choice of radio which is rather a shame being the UK's second city.

Brimingham is one of the best outside London

* BRMB (Hit Music)
    * Gold (Classic Hits)
    * Radio XL (Asian)
    * Galaxy (Dance and RnB)
    * Kerrang! (Rock and Indie)
    * Smooth (Easy Listening)
    * Heart (80s - current pop)

The only place outside London which is better served is Manchester

* Key 103 (Hit Music)
    * Magic AM (Classic Hits)
    * Gold (Classic Hits)
    * Asian Sound (Asian)
    * Galaxy (Dance and RnB)
    * XFM (Rock and Indie)
    * Smooth (East Listening)
    * Century (80s - current pop)
    * Rock Radio (Classic Rock)
    * Imagine / Tower / The Rev (80s - current pop)

In general towns in the north of England (outside Cumbria) do much better than there southern counterparts - e.g. most towns and cities get at least :-

* Big City (Hit Music - e.g. Rock FM)
    * Magic AM (Classic Hits)
    * Real Radio / Century Radio (80s - current pop)
    * Galaxy/Juice (Dance and RnB - except Lancashire)
    * Smooth Radio (Easy Listening - except Yorkshire)
    * Local radio station (80s - current pop)

The Midlands is reasonably well served, provided you don't live in Stoke-on-Trent or Lincolnshire

* Hit Music Network (Hit Music)
    * Gold (Classic Hits)
    * Smooth (Easy Listening)
    * Kerrang! (Rock and Indie - West Midlands only)
    * Small scale local station (80s - current pop - if you are lucky)

Where as a typical southern town gets the following

* Gold (classic hits)
    * Small scale local station (80s - current pop - if you are lucky)

DAB is even more marked - most of the North gets a regional and local multiplex, as does the West Midlands - the rest of England gets a local multiplex (if that).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    atkins wrote: »
    Therefore you can receive Kiss.
    I only put down the FM stations - i can't receive Kiss on ordinary FM.
  • Options
    WillumWillum Posts: 1,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd nominate North Devon. Apart from the nationals and BBC Radio Devon, all you've got is Lantern FM. Or else you're reliant on overspill from South Wales, as long as you're not too far inland, and the local geography is favourable.

Apart from that, I'd imagine areas such as the Lake District and elsewhere where there's a low population. Huge chunks of Scotland and Wales must be like this.

We've got extended family who own a house way up in the Highlands (we're talking an hour or two NORTH of Inverness).

I was there just over 10 years ago. You couldn't get terrestrial TV, or FM. Radio 4 came in on Long Wave, but that was about it. Even if you went towards the coast, either East or West, where most of the larger settlements are in that part of the world such as Ullapool, Bonar Bridge, or Lairg, all you could get on FM was the BBC Nationals, and often no Classic FM.

I haven't been up that way since, so I don't know whether it's improved. I was surprised to discover that there does now appear to be decent mobile reception up that way these days, which must be a recent development.
  • Options
    WillumWillum Posts: 1,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westward wrote: »
    Can't you get Kiss 101 in Swansea?

http://www.arar93.dsl.pipex.com/mds975/txmaps/avon.html

The map at the foot of this page suggests that the signal reaches Swansea & Port Talbot.

Classic FM have a relay on 101.3 at Kilvey Hill which squeezes it out.

Also there's very high ground immediately to the East of Neath and Port Talbot, so heading West on the M4, in my experience, 101 disappears some way short of Swansea.

They really ought to get Kiss 101 FM relays for Swansea, Yeovil and Swindon. I'm sure that if Gloucester was included as well (Churchdown Hill) they could wrangle clearance from Ofcom to increase local hours in return.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I reckon that Red Dragon should have a rely to broadcast in Swansea - Considering that their tag line is " South Wales' Hit Music Station". Swansea is in South Wales, yet the signal cannot be heard there. There is no CHR station in Swansea.
  • Options
    Les WiresLes Wires Posts: 6,610
    Forum Member
    Mercia/Beacon/BRMB/ Leicester Sound/Wyvern are all the same with a similar networked output.

Touch is the only one that does anything for me and Kerrang is a decent listen most of the time, but rumour has it that that the Kerrang name will be short lived. :(

I think BRMB/Beacon/Mercia/Wyvern have a different network output to Leicester Sound. The former stations are up for sale.

I take your point though. Although I remember the dross that came out of BRMB in its pre-needletime restriction era.

I assume BRMB's breakfast show still has this strict needletime restriction placed on it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,916
    Forum Member
    Willum wrote: »
    Classic FM have a relay on 101.3 at Kilvey Hill which squeezes it out.

*cough* Eton E5...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=98012

That will easily separate stations 200khz apart and even 100Khz apart (EG- Key 103 and Beacon 103.1 here both in perfect stereo).
  • Options
    mw1mw1 Posts: 3,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In Coventry i can recieve:

FM:
    BBC National
    BBC Coventry and Warwickshire
    Touch Radio
    Mercia
    Heart 100.7

If i'm lucky i can also pick up on FM:
    Leicester Sound
    BBC Leicester
    Heart 106 in Nottingham
    BRMB

AM:
    5 live
    Talksport
    Absoulte Radio
    Classic Gold 1359

DAB:
    BBC DAB
    Digital 1 Network
    Now Coventry
    MXR West Midlands
  • Options
    ALAN306ALAN306 Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    STOKE ON TRENT

Only Signal 1/2 and a very niche community/access station (CrossRhythms) + the 3 nationals.

This must be the poorest served area per head of population
    http://www.lovemytown.co.uk/Populations/TownsTable1.htm
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ALAN306 wrote: »
    STOKE ON TRENT

Only Signal 1/2 and a very niche community/access station (CrossRhythms) + the 3 nationals.
    I'd second that. On a trip over to Stoke on Trent last year, I found the choice on my old pocket DAB much less in comparison to anywhere else.
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say Manchester now has a better choice of formats compared to London.

London doesn't have a FM classic rock station or a decent AC station. I'm not including Radio Jackie which only serves SW London.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dont you get kiss 101 in west wilts? used to live in westbury and you got it loud and clear around there.

Only on digital radio. Certainly not on the car FM radio or on the portable FM at home. Would do if the roof top aerial could be brought back into service (but cant do it as the new hifi doesnt have an external aerial input port).

Dave
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    atkins wrote: »
    All commercial radio is crap.
    I suppose this is the problem. You can be somewhere where you can pick up numerous commercial stations and they are all going to sound the same anyway.
  • Options
    Phillip SwiftPhillip Swift Posts: 2,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    London doesn't have a FM classic rock station or a decent AC station.

What do you call Magic??? That's about as AC as you can get!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,916
    Forum Member
    ALAN306 wrote: »
    STOKE ON TRENT

This must be the poorest served area per head of population
    http://www.lovemytown.co.uk/Populations/TownsTable1.htm

Although with a decent radio you should be able to pick up Century, Smooth, Heart and Kerrang.
  • Options
    belleville1belleville1 Posts: 2,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rossall wrote: »
    Although with a decent radio you should be able to pick up Century, Smooth, Heart and Kerrang.

Smooth: the best of the lot, fine on a car radio across much of the city but patchy in places
    Century: about equal to Smooth, but with problems from Leicester in places
    Heart East Mids: very good in parts, weak and patchy in most areas
    Heart and Kerrang West Mids: nonexistent on all but the most sensitive of radios thanks to their directional transmission away from the north

None of these are available on a "normal" FM radio, only on car radios or home stereos with roof antennas.

The Potteries also has the UK's only fully local DAB-only service, Focal Radio.
  • Options
    ALAN306ALAN306 Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    Rossall wrote: »

Stoke is shielded from the Midlands Regionals by the hill Meir Heath sits on. This makes Kerrang/Smooth 105.7/Heart 100.7 very ropey round town.

Century gets interference from Leicester Sound (105.4) and Heart 106 used to be OK till Rock Radio 106.1 / City Talk 105.9 started

Smooth 106.6 wasn't too bad till The Severn (Shrewsbury) started on 106.5.

Only Smooth 100.4 is fairly OK but it doesn't really 'Serve' the area.

Stoke has suffered from other areas getting additional stations which have caused interference with out of area reception in Stoke. I have no problem with that as long as we get additional in TSA services too.

No offence to Oswestry but its a bit odd when a town as small as Oswestry is covered by Beacon and The Severn as general services yet Stoke only has Signal with a population of over 250,000.

I know there are other badly served areas but I'm just sticking up for my patch !!
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you call Magic??? That's about as AC as you can get!

Magic 105.4, oh please! The station that used to be easy listening which now plays at least 200 soft AC tracks on constant rotation. London could do with a Real/Century instead of the same McDonalds style radio from Heart and Magic.

However they won't change seeing as they have over a million listeners in the capital each.