Options

What If It Had Been Lisa or Rachel In Jeapordy...???

And the show pulled a stunt like this?

I'm convinced I'd have been reading endless comments screaming "Fix to save Rachel/Lisa!!!"

I like Tom and I'm pleased for him but I can't help feeling that if he wins now, it will be a slightly hollow victory.

Mixed emotions from me about tonight's outcome, especially after such a hoo-ha was made about John Sergeant potentially winning. He wasn't one of the strongest dancer either but was exceptionally popular too.

It seems the argument that "the people should choose the winner" only applies in certain circumstances.

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a Tom fan but even I admit it's going to look silly if he wins now. Should we invite Austin back as well cos he was popular and just had an off week???
  • Options
    musicangelmusicangel Posts: 7,164
    Forum Member
    Sid_1979 wrote: »

I'm convinced I'd have been reading endless comments screaming "Fix to save Rachel/Lisa!!!"

I like Tom and I'm pleased for him but I can't help feeling that if he wins now, it will be a slightly hollow victory.

Mixed emotions from me about tonight's outcome, especially after such a hoo-ha was made about John Sergeant potentially winning. He wasn't one of the strongest dancer either but was exceptionally popular too.

It seems the argument that "the people should choose the winner" only applies in certain circumstances.

Then Que Sera Sera!!

Simple!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hi Sid! <smooch>

I'm glad that it's a three-person final and everyone's reaction (with the possible exception of Brendan) was great.

At least it might stop people talking about how Rachel was at an advantage tonight or was overmarked. :rolleyes:

Think Tom will win now but good luck to him. I hope R & V have some knockout dances next week. :)
  • Options
    Kez100Kez100 Posts: 3,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I complained and would have done so if it had been Rachel or Lisa too.

It wasn't about the dancing for me it was about ripping off the public.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not a Tom fan. It was nothing to do with Tom losing, it was the fact that the public were not advised that they had no chance of saving Tom from the dance-off, that made me angry. They were urged to vote to save their favourite, even though it was impossible for Tom to survive it
  • Options
    musicangelmusicangel Posts: 7,164
    Forum Member
    Because they gave the same scores?

They have done that over THREE times this series! has it ever caused complaints?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    If it had been Tom and one of the girls joint top of the leaderboard, and the other girl bottom what ever way round, and you had been asked to phone to keep your favourite out of the dance off, when you knew there was no chance, what would your re-acction have been, just out of curriosity?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daisy_M wrote: »
    Hi Sid! <smooch>

I'm glad that it's a three-person final and everyone's reaction (with the possible exception of Brendan) was great.

At least it might stop people talking about how Rachel was at an advantage tonight or was overmarked. :rolleyes:

Think Tom will win now but good luck to him. I hope R & V have some knockout dances next week. :)

Hey Daisy <smooch>

I agree. I'm looking forward to the final too :)

But I just wish they wouldn't keep shifting the goal posts!

By all means have rules, but stick to them!
  • Options
    Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly feel they would have done the same regardless of who tied it.

Its the best result, and great for three great dancers. Tom was off his game tonight, but honestly, who really cares! :p
  • Options
    teewoodsteewoods Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Can you imgaine the 2 faced Tom fans moaning if it was the case:rolleyes:
  • Options
    ErinfanErinfan Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    I am not a Tom fan. It was nothing to do with Tom losing, it was the fact that the public were not advised that they had no chance of saving Tom from the dance-off, that made me angry. They were urged to vote to save their favourite, even though it was impossible for Tom to survive it

EXACTLY!!!!

It had nothing to do with saving Tom. The fact is it was mathematically impossible for viewers to save Tom from the Dance-Off, but this wasn't pointed out at the time to the viewers. They had to do this to avoid legal problems, especially after all of the recent problems with phone voting. I don't think it had anything to do with Tom personally at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree with you Sid. But both Rachel and Lisa just have to knuckle down and dance their best next week.

But I imagine both Brendan and Vincent will be spitting blood right now. It would have been a fairly even final between the two girls.
  • Options
    cezzycezzy Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a fix! blah blah blah blah.........

Oh for goodness sakes, Strictly is always (always should be) a 3 way final. I'm used to watching it at my family get-together where all the girlies watch with a couple of men and kick out the other men who just annoy us.....and we are used to 3 way thing. Let's not get so wound up about this.:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kitana wrote: »
    If it had been Tom and one of the girls joint top of the leaderboard, and the other girl bottom what ever way round, and you had been asked to phone to keep your favourite out of the dance off, when you knew there was no chance, what would your re-acction have been, just out of curriosity?

I'd have expected a dance-off as normal.

I'm still baffled by why it couldn't go ahead as planned? It was just a matter of which couple would have joined Tom to fight for survival.

By all means refund the public's votes (or donate them to charity), but don't change the rules at the last minute!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    musicangel wrote: »

They have done that over THREE times this series! has it ever caused complaints?

This is the first time it has been mathematically impossible for someone to avoid the dance off. There have been weeks previously (notably last week with Austin) where the odds were stacked firmly against someone, but no cases where it was actually impossible.

People are getting too much into personalities here. This isn't about who should or shouldn't have gone through. It is about the BBC being in breach of regulations if it had continued as originally planned in letting people vote for someone who could not avoid the dance off.
  • Options
    TissyTissy Posts: 45,749
    Forum Member
    Daisy_M wrote: »
    Hi Sid! <smooch>

I felt Rachel was undermarked and geniunely do believe the judges <mainly Len> were trying to fix the leaderboard

Great result, a three person final too :)
  • Options
    CornchipsCornchips Posts: 68,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not a Tom fan - I prefer rachel out of the three left.

I would have been the same choose as who was at the bottom as its a clear breach and unfair.

I also hate the fact that the judges are getting their way all through the show this year - and its about time they ended up with egg on their smug faces.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Totally agree with this post - I can't understand why people think this is a fix or something or is biased towards Tom - yes he was the worst but the public didn't have the chance to keep him out of the dance off which they should have.

Lets face it, it's not a fix or a conspiricy, it's not cos the beeb wanted 3 people in the final (they've managed with 2 for the last 2 years and seen it's fine from thier point of view). It was a cock up plain and simple - a shambles / balls up / mistake, whatever you want to call it - I reckon there will be some emergency meetings and heads will roll that nobody spotted this possibility!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey Daisy <smooch>

I agree. I'm looking forward to the final too :)

But I just wish they wouldn't keep shifting the goal posts!

By all means have rules, but stick to them
    !

Agreed.

I think they do need to change the dance-off rule but before the start of next series.
  • Options
    Kez100Kez100 Posts: 3,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It mattered because there were only three of them. This was not the case before. Its about rule breaches not about the dancers
  • Options
    Jan2555*GG*Jan2555*GG* Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thats a very good point.
  • Options
    CornchipsCornchips Posts: 68,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is the first time it has been mathematically impossible for someone to avoid the dance off. There have been weeks previously (notably last week with Austin) where the odds were stacked firmly against someone, but no cases where it was actually impossible.

People are getting too much into personalities here. This isn't about who should or shouldn't have gone through. It is about the BBC being in breach of regulations if it had continued as originally planned.

Exactly. I was peeved last week - but as you say technically there was no problem last week (although I believe it was deliberate on the part of the judges) clearly though this week it was wrong.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member

You are bound to get similar scores when there are several couples in and they only dance once but the chance of Lisa and Rachel being tied after two dances when they could both get up to 80 pts is very small statistically!

If there was any fix tonight it was in the judges vote - they thought they were more important than the public but they are not!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Erinfan wrote: »

It had nothing to do with saving Tom. The fact is it was mathematically impossible for viewers to save Tom from the Dance-Off,

So what? That's his hard luck. Austin's dance-off wasn't suspended when it became clear that he'd be in the dance-off.

I just think the show has lost some credibility, that's all.
    cezzy wrote: »
    It's a fix! blah blah blah blah.........

Oh for goodness sakes, Strictly is always (always should be) a 3 way final. I'm used to watching it at my family get-together where all the girlies watch with a couple of men and kick out the other men who just annoy us.....and we are used to 3 way thing. Let's not get so wound up about this.:eek:

Then why not tell us it was going to be a three-couple final beforehand?

And I'm not crying 'fix' at all! I'm one of the people who wanted to see Tom in the final, I'm just being objective.
  • Options
    lightonmyfeetlightonmyfeet Posts: 1,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that we put a spin on events to suit our likes or dislikes, and interpret actions around these feelings. I do think that if it had been Rachel or Lisa "saved" this way there would be an almighty hoohah. Tom is popular so its deemed to be OK. I do agree with the OP that this turn of events would have been criticised in other circumstances.

The attitude this week and last about losing the most popular celeb reminded me of when poor JS and his voters were hounded because he was too popular and we were reminded that this is a dance competition. Tom was the worst dancer tonight, but prior to the results there were a lots of posts saying that it was not fair that the most popular competitor was going out.
    .....Having said all that I have to say that I am pleased that all 3 go through as a Rachel/Lisa final would have lacked "something".