Options

Retail workers - what do customers do that annoys you? (Merged)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    I had a customer that got offended because I told her I had to get the
    supervisor to check a £50 note (company policy that £50 & £100 notes have to be checked by someone higher up) I explained about having to get it checked and she went nuts saying that it was real and she hasn't got a money making machine at home blah blah blah :rolleyes: I just stayed calm and said nothing until the note was checked.

Another time a guy asked me for another bag as his wife was over at the stairs with clothes on the ground as the bag had burst, I gave him a bag and he filled it with £140 worth of stock. :eek::o
  • Options
    roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chi'ch wrote: »
    My mother went into HMV the other day, couldn't find the CD she wanted to get me, so she asked this lad 'do you work here?' he goes 'um.... *sigh* no' so my mother said 'you hesitated a bit there, so do you work here?' '....yes' lol cheek of it.

I would have thought the t-shirt would have gave him away
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    I was at a hotel just before Christmas attending a family wedding. Because I'm in the Forces, I went in my ceremonial uniform, which is basically a jacket and tie but with a cap and gold rings on the cuffs so it doesn't really look civillian.

I was outside the main door at one point and had just finished taking a phone call when a middle-aged, middle class and over-dressed woman came upto me and demanded to call my supervisor so she could (and I quote) "report a junior porter for having the cheek to make personal phone calls whilst on duty and in full view of those who pay your wages."

Her husband was standing just behind her and he obviously had the sense enough to realise her slight mistake and his face turned to a mixture of shock and apology halfway through her sentence, but before he had the chance to respond I thanked her indeed for paying my wages though her taxes, and pointed out that if I wasn't in uniform I might not be quite so polite to her and that she may wish to get off her high horse and stop feeling so superior.

I wheeled around before she had the chance to say anything else and left her standing there. She probably would've been apologetic but given her initial tone I didn't feel like giving her the chance.

Glad I never worked with the public!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iHelix wrote: »
    If I am browsing the aisles, in any shop, the very last thing I want is some hyperactive, clueless staff member harassing me asking if I want help. I appreciate it the first time, but when he/she returns time and time again saying that I look like I need help, I feel like painting their eyes black.

Eurgh, that's what I hated about working in a dept. store - you have to hassle the customers so much! We were told in our store card training that we have to 'approach the customer before they reach the till and ask them if they already have a card' and that 'no customer should be left to shop for themselves'. :mad: The staff aren't clueless, trust me, they're nagged to be like that - The number of times I got in trouble for not approaching customers was unbelievable.

One time my manager was in and she told me to go and ask some woman if she needed help picking a necklace... The lady went 'No, thank you, I'm just browsing' so I walked away.
    Two seconds later "Go and see if she knows about our sale offers." Right, off I trot, 'Excuse Mme, did you know that that necklace is on sale at the moment? You can save xxx.' 'Oh, great, thank you. I'm not sure on it yet, I'm still just browsing.' Shuffled back off.
    'Does she know that we have a bracelet to match that necklace?' So boldly, off I went a third time (in the space of about 5 minutes), to chat to the poor woman, who was completly uninterested - I couldn't say sorry, it's not me, it's my manager because she could hear me and I couldn't not do it because I would've been sacked! - returned again after confirming that the woman just wanted to shop in peace.
    "Well, that was ok, wasn't it? Did you ask her if she had a store card?"
    "Errr. No..."
    "Off you go!"
    *KMN9 shoots herself*
  • Options
    googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they don't like whats on the burger then don't order it!

Are you Burger Barry from Harry Hill? :D
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    worked there before. Biggest hate was customised burgers. If they don't like whats on the burger then don't order it! Burger King is another matter as they have this 'have it your way' strapline

But, like BK, McDonald's does allow you to 'customise' your burger. Not to save money of course, but to allow you to take something out if you don't like it.

Surely you did allow customers to do that when you worked there? If not, they've every right to send a letter to East Finchley!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flyboy845 wrote: »
    I was at a hotel just before Christmas attending a family wedding. Because I'm in the Forces, I went in my ceremonial uniform, which is basically a jacket and tie but with a cap and gold rings on the cuffs so it doesn't really look civillian.

I was outside the main door at one point and had just finished taking a phone call when a middle-aged, middle class and over-dressed woman came upto me and demanded to call my supervisor so she could (and I quote) "report a junior porter for having the cheek to make personal phone calls whilst on duty and in full view of those who pay your wages."

Her husband was standing just behind her and he obviously had the sense enough to realise her slight mistake and his face turned to a mixture of shock and apology halfway through her sentence, but before he had the chance to respond I thanked her indeed for paying my wages though her taxes, and pointed out that if I wasn't in uniform I might not be quite so polite to her and that she may wish to get off her high horse and stop feeling so superior.

I wheeled around before she had the chance to say anything else and left her standing there. She probably would've been apologetic but given her initial tone I didn't feel like giving her the chance.

Glad I never worked with the public!

PMSL, good story! :D
  • Options
    radiosgaloreradiosgalore Posts: 5,348
    Forum Member
    jonmorris wrote: »
    But, like BK, McDonald's does allow you to 'customise' your burger. Not to save money of course, but to allow you to take something out if you don't like it.

Surely you did allow customers to do that when you worked there? If not, they've every right to send a letter to East Finchley!

Oh sure I allowed it. Didnt have a choice. but IMHO if you don't like whats on the burger don't flippin' order it! I guess thats what comes of having worked there for over 3 years. Don't do it anymore and no matter how bad the economy gets i'm not going back. Wouldnt last anyway! :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am posting this as a customer but things that customers do that annoy me!

In the Greggs where I live the queue is always massive, and there is a stand in the middle which has cakes etc on it and a sign which clearly says 'Queue at both sides', everytime I go in there, there is a mile long queue down one end of the shop, I use my initiative and queue at the side that is empty, and I get so many dirty looks!
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh sure I allowed it. Didnt have a choice. but IMHO if you don't like whats on the burger don't flippin' order it! I guess thats what comes of having worked there for over 3 years. Don't do it anymore and no matter how bad the economy gets i'm not going back. Wouldnt last anyway! :p

So, if you can't eat cheese or onions then you're pretty buggered aren't you!

I hope you didn't get a job at any other restaurant. "Take the food as it comes, or get out!"
  • Options
    LibitinaLibitina Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I hope you didn't get a job at any other restaurant. "Take the food as it comes, or get out!"

It's MacDonalds, so not exactly a surprise whats on the menu is it? If you don't like onions or cheese, shop elsewhere.
  • Options
    garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    The worst thing is being on tills and peoples carrier bag attitude. We charge now, 5p for a normal £1 for the bags for life ones. Scenarios now are
    "Can i have a bag"
    "sure" scans the bag
    "It costs?"
    yes...5p"
    "then i dont want"
    *sigh* goes through the rigmarole of voiding the 5p bag

customer has 3 items
    zap it through
    thats "£xx.xx
    goes through
    ohh...can i have a bag
    zaps through a 5p sale with a nice long queue behind

now i just give them for free
  • Options
    radiosgaloreradiosgalore Posts: 5,348
    Forum Member

Libitina wrote: »
    It's MacDonalds, so not exactly a surprise whats on the menu is it? If you don't like onions or cheese, shop elsewhere.

Agreed! with one exception. Allergies. If u each cheese and end up with a reaction then that's a good reason not to have it. If u just don't like it well i wouldn't say get out but i would given the choice tell them what they want isn't on the menu
  • Options
    SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    Yesterday I ended up serving a complete moron. As she approached the checkout I had already decided based on her appearance, than she was as thick as sh*t. Guess what? I was right.

I scanned her groceries through and as I got about three quarters through, she started panicing. She said that she wanted to do two different transactions. "Oh" was my answer, I wasn't particularly keen on working yesterday. She said that she had put a divider up because some stuff was hers and some stuff was her dads. Firstly, she hadn't put a divider up, and secondly she hadn't even split the items up, everything was completely mixed! She started waffling on about wanting two seperate transactions and how I had removed the divider (I hadn't) so I just told her that I have no idea what is hers and what is her fathers, and that she needs to split the items up. With that I was about to get up and help her unpack and see what is what, void it etc.. Then suddenly she starts waffling on about me moving the divider again. Sod it I though, and continued scanning the rest of the items, took payment and buggered off. :D
  • Options
    SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    iHelix wrote: »
    Also, when I ask a staff member if they have an item in stock and they say no, but when I ask another member of staff for safe measure, they say yes and find me what I wanted! For heavens sake, I thought It would be standard practice for staff to know what items are actually in stock and what items aren't!

Typical unrealistic expectation of a customer. I work in a small supermarket, and we have about 15,000 product lines. Now we do get to know most of the things we have, but as for knowing them off by heart and what is in stock and what isn't, are you bloody joking?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    garyessex wrote: »
    The worst thing is being on tills and peoples carrier bag attitude. We charge now, 5p for a normal £1 for the bags for life ones. Scenarios now are
    "Can i have a bag"
    "sure" scans the bag
    "It costs?"
    yes...5p"
    "then i dont want"
    *sigh* goes through the rigmarole of voiding the 5p bag

customer has 3 items
    zap it through
    thats "£xx.xx
    goes through
    ohh...can i have a bag
    zaps through a 5p sale with a nice long queue behind

now i just give them for free

Where do you work? We have a 5p charge and tbh most people now know the score (although some go 'how long have been charging for?' I say 'since May' and they go 'oh....I've not been in for ages') - still ge the odd one who moan. I've taken to telling them about what Asda are supposed to be going to charge.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where do you work? We have a 5p charge and tbh most people now know the score (although some go 'how long have been charging for?' I say 'since May' and they go 'oh....I've not been in for ages') - still ge the odd one who moan. I've taken to telling them about what Asda are supposed to be going to charge.

What's that?

Work for them and haven't heard anything about charging for bags yet! Hopefully they do start though, because the amount of bags people take is beginning to annoy me!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's that?

Work for them and haven't heard anything about charging for bags yet! Hopefully they do start though, because the amount of bags people take is beginning to annoy me!

Heard from 3 people after Easter there's gonna be a 25p charge, a girl on the checkout at my local one told us and my niece works there too and she was telling me. Not sure if they're deffo going ahead with it atm tho. But apparently they're planning on doing away with the free bas altogether and if you need a bag, you'll have to buy a 5p re-useable one.
    Anyway apparently come April all retailers will have to have a plan set to cut down on bag usage.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heard from 3 people after Easter there's gonna be a 25p charge, a girl on the checkout at my local one told us and my niece works there too and she was telling me. Not sure if they're deffo going ahead with it atm tho. But apparently they're planning on doing away with the free bas altogether and if you need a bag, you'll have to buy a 5p re-useable one.
    Anyway apparently come April all retailers will have to have a plan set to cut down on bag usage.

Jeezo :eek:

Well we are trying to cut down the bags, new government policies (not sure if it's just up here or all over the UK) have said we have to reduce the amount of carrier bags we give out by 50%. My store's sitting at 22% just now, so we've got new procedures to follow, have to ask the customer if they have their own bags, if they don't try and get them to buy the 5p ones, if they don't want them we're only allowed to give them a maximum of 3 at a time. Don't see it working to be honest, so they will probably have to start charging!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately the majority (or so it appears to me to be the majority) of people are thick and ignorant. Yes of course you get many very nice courteous understanding customers but there are also a large proportion to who are not. It's shame. By the way I don't work in a shop although I have done in the past but I deal with customers over the phone. Many companies also go with the policy and thought that although some customers can rude and complete a***holes and a real pain to deal with, as well as time consuming, they are still paying customers and usually get their way. That for me is the most annoying thing because you will get someone who comes along and buys something without a peep from them, no complaints, if an offer isn't applicable they will still buy it whatever the price, they say thanks and off they go, then you get a rude one who shouts and screams and threatens and gets what they want (like a cheap price and free this and that) and sometimes more. It's stupid I think the nice ones should be rewarded! Doesn't work that way though :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeezo :eek:

Well we are trying to cut down the bags, new government policies (not sure if it's just up here or all over the UK) have said we have to reduce the amount of carrier bags we give out by 50%. My store's sitting at 22% just now, so we've got new procedures to follow, have to ask the customer if they have their own bags, if they don't try and get them to buy the 5p ones, if they don't want them we're only allowed to give them a maximum of 3 at a time. Don't see it working to be honest, so they will probably have to start charging!

Dunno what percentage we're at, but as a company we've given out 200million less bags since May.
    We have to ask them if they have bags, then give them the choice between the 5p and 9p bags - for some its like the biggest decision they'll ever make!
  • Options
    cheesy_pastycheesy_pasty Posts: 4,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boltonjon wrote: »
    1st one - busy lunchtime in Greggs. I am in the (long) Q waiting for to be served. The guy in front of me got served, left the shop but stormed back to the front of the Q, saying "you have short changed me" kinda rudely interuppting me as i was getting served as well. I was expecting him to have the change for a tenner when he paid with a twenty. But he said, "you have given me 73p when I should have had 75p". He stood there and waited whilst the poor lad behind the counter had to go and find some keys to open the till. Over 2p. Every time i go past there I always think of that, it still flabbergasts me!!

From working in Greggs i've had that a few times. If the customer is nice about it then i'll get their extra change when the till drawer is next open. (My area of shops don't allow tills to be open for extra change...so they have to wait for the next sale to go through..not sure why).
    However, if the customer is an arse about the whole thing...I quickly direct them to the company policy that change can not be rectified after leaving the shop (if the customer has obviously left and then came back in a flame of shouting etc).
    Greggs is one place i've noticed that has ignorants in all the time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cuppa_Tea wrote: »
    I am posting this as a customer but things that customers do that annoy me!

In the Greggs where I live the queue is always massive, and there is a stand in the middle which has cakes etc on it and a sign which clearly says 'Queue at both sides', everytime I go in there, there is a mile long queue down one end of the shop, I use my initiative and queue at the side that is empty, and I get so many dirty looks!

This always seemed to cause confusion, but most of the Gregg's here have now had queue ropes put in the centre where you wait for the first available till.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Libitina wrote: »

Why? If its company policy to allow customised burgers (I say customised - in reality its just making one without onions, gherkins or sauce - hardly a chore) why should they go somewhere else when they want to pay for a MacDonalds burger?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate it when the customers just stand there watching you scan the items, watch you standing there typing in any price changes, entering gift vouchers etc. then just say "are you going to give me a bag then" when the bags are on the counter in front of them. Someone even said to me "these items aren't going to back themselves"!

Once I've finished the transaction, I happily help the customers finish packing but its irritating when they just stand there expecting you to do it all automatically while a big queue is growing behind them.
This discussion has been closed.