Options

Classic/Iconic/Art films you think are rubbish

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are so many that are considered 'iconic' that I can't stand, that it would take forever to list them. Two films I absolutely adore though (and which are also considered classic) are Who Killed Baby Jane and All About Eve. I can watch them over and over.
  • Options
    MubMub Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    I'm with people about Gone with the Wind and Casablanca, boring overblown rubbish.

2001 is the same although it does look lovely, it's incomprehensible. And as for Lost in Translation: it certainly was for me.

Titanic - only worth it for the sinking bit. The rest of it was risable hokum. Can't be many films were a sizable chunk of the audience cheered when the main male character dies!

There are more but I'd better get back to work...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gone With the Wind. I hate that movie. As for art-house, Wings of Desire by Wim Wenders.
  • Options
    gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt anyone's mentioned this because (thankfully) it's quite obscure but it's one of the worst, and since it's got 7.6 stars on IMDB, over-rated pieces of film I've ever seen. Alice by Jan Svankmajer; a dreadful 'interpretation' of Alice in Wonderland. I actually did my exam on the film itself today. Stupid, stupid film. We watched a few of Svankmajer's other things and; granted some of them are fairly watchable for surrealism films but ultimately the only reason why people like them is because they were made in Czechoslovakia where expressing oneself in such a way was close to impossible, which I guess demands some respect.

I only watched a few clips of it but Little Otik, another of Svankmajer's 'treats' was bloody awful. It's about a couple who can't have children who adopt a tree stump that comes to life and eats people. No, it's really ass bad as it sounds. The animation looked like it was from the early 70s and to my horror it was only released in 2000! And communism was dead by then so there was really no excuse for the film!

As for mainstream stuff The Matrix is a terrible film and there is simply no arguement for saying it's watchable.

And I agree with what people have been saying about Amilie. Not the worst film you'll ever see but it's certainly a pointless, over-rated film; just with some good acting!

Ugh and has anyone seen Creep? Lametastic British indie about some German bird who gets stuck in the underground because her life is SO fantastic.

EDIT: Three more...

Trainspotting: everyone I know says this film is good. How is it? It's just a load of idiot 20 somethings wondering why their lives are so awful whilst taking drugs. Whoo! How exciting!

Donnie Darko: Another one everyone loves but they can't explain why. I hate these teenage films which act a bit darker than ordinary teen films and has everyone raving over them because of it.

Elephant: It's slow... and it's slow on purpose. Once again, another shockingly over-rated film because A. it's a bit different and B. it's made by HBO. It's well and truly the bottom of the barrell when it comes to being the critic's darling. Has these really unbelievable characters doing terribly unrealistic things and then getting shot in the most idiotic ways. Disgrace to the world of cinema.
  • Options
    DerekPAgainDerekPAgain Posts: 2,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Following on from the comedians thread. Are there any of these films you think are utter rubbish?

Here are the ones that come to mind that I'm supposed to watch in awe:

2001 Space Odyssey

If

Dr Strangelove

The Third Man

Easy Rider

Woody Allen - any of his.

The Italian Job (Michael Caine original)

They are all pretty good IMHO with the exception of "If" and some of Woody Allen's (hey - even a genius can have a bad day).

Not all are worth watching twice though
  • Options
    mysteryxmysteryx Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    The Godfather (all of them).

The Thing.

Jurassic Park.
  • Options
    MidiboyMidiboy Posts: 8,263
    Forum Member
    I also agree with "2001" (dull, dull, dull).

Also Fellini's "Satyricon" (:eek:), Derek Jarman's "Blue" (pretentious art w@nk) and Peter Greenaway's "A Zed & Two Noughts" (WTF :eek:).
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    Midiboy wrote: »
    I also agree with "2001" (dull, dull, dull).

Also Fellini's "Satyricon" (:eek:), Derek Jarman's "Blue" (pretentious art w@nk) and Peter Greenaway's "A Zed & Two Noughts" (WTF :eek:).

Why single that out? Anything by Greenway fits your apt description. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    The Godfather and Goodfellas. I get bored when watching them.
  • Options
    MidiboyMidiboy Posts: 8,263
    Forum Member
    Richard46 wrote: »
    Why single that out? Anything by Greenway fits your apt description. :)

I've only seen "A Zed & Two Noughts" and "The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover", which I didn't think was quite as bad (but maybe I have selective amnesia :D).

I have avoided his other films...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Midiboy wrote: »
    I've only seen "A Zed & Two Noughts" and "The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover", which I didn't think was quite as bad (but maybe I have selective amnesia :D).

I have avoided his other films...

:D I must admit that one goes in my worst ten films of all time list, albeit I have only watched about half of it, real life being too precious. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 420
    Forum Member
    A ma Soeur

I quite enjoyed A ma Soeur... It was a bit predictable though. Rather nasty.

I hate, hate, hate A Bout De Souffle yet everyone always raves and raves because it was the first of the New Wave French films. I thought it was boring, but jean Seburg (sp?) was rather sweet.

I also didn't like Lost in Translation, I just found it tedious.
    gottago wrote: »
    Donnie Darko: Another one everyone loves but they can't explain why. I hate these teenage films which act a bit darker than ordinary teen films and has everyone raving over them because of it.

I felt the same way about 'Brick'... Boring and pretentious teen film noir.
  • Options
    SuperUnleadedSuperUnleaded Posts: 3,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not that I'm much of a movie-goer, but...

Fight Club
    Sin City

For those that DO like glorified and over-the-top violence, they're great. But for me, who merely got dragged along to see them, I don't see the point and never will. My idea of a classic is Top Gun. :p

I bet I'll be saying the same about The Wrestler when I download it. I don't think I've seen a single bad review yet, which makes me all the more suspicious about its "classic" merit.

Just remembered À Ma Sœur!, actually. Wouldn't have without you folks mentioning it. That was seriously a nasty, horrible film. I don't I've ever watched anything so downright depressing. :sleep:
  • Options
    tanstaafltanstaafl Posts: 22,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Following on from the comedians thread. Are there any of these films you think are utter rubbish?

Here are the ones that come to mind that I'm supposed to watch in awe:

2001 Space Odyssey

If

Dr Strangelove

The Third Man

Easy Rider

Woody Allen - any of his.

The Italian Job (Michael Caine original)
    However, none of those could be considered an art house film. For starters none of them have subtitles. :)

You'd have to add something Continental to fill that category. Perhaps something by Ingmar Begman. The Seventh Seal anyone?
  • Options
    richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Japanese Cinema ............. oh dear.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,433
    Forum Member
    i had to watch the opening of Once Upon A Time In The West in Film Studies :yawn: didn't like it. i don't think i could watch the whole thing.
  • Options
    SuperUnleadedSuperUnleaded Posts: 3,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why can't I edit a post I made less than hour ago?

Anyway, add Pulp Fiction to my small list. I had to sit through that drival for media studies in a darkened room - temptation to fall asleep much? :eek:
  • Options
    gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll add Performance (starring Mick Jagger) to my list. Crap, worthless bit of film. For some reason just looking at it made me want to vomit! They made some truly idiotic films back in the 60s.
  • Options
    parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    The Matrix. The Shawshank Redemption. The Matrix. The Shawshank Redemption. The Matrix. The Shawshank Redemption. The Matrix. The Shawshank Redemption. The Matrix. The Shawshank Redemption. The Matrix. The Shawshank Redemption. The Matrix. The Shawshank Redemption. The Matrix. The Shawshank Redemption. The Matrix. The Shawshank Redemption. The Matrix. The Shawshank Redemption. The Matrix. The Shawshank Redemption. The Matrix. The Shawshank Redemption. The Matrix. The Shawshank Redemption. The Matrix. The Shawshank Redemption. The Matrix. The Shawshank Redemption. The Matrix. The Shawshank Redemption.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    .Mimi. wrote: »
    i had to watch the opening of Once Upon A Time In The West in Film Studies :yawn: didn't like it. i don't think i could watch the whole thing.

Sorry one of the best films ever made, no doubt difficult for anyone with a short attention span.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    parthy wrote: »
    The Matrix. The Shawshank Redemption. The Matrix. The Shawshank Redemption. The Matrix. The Shawshank Redemption. The Matrix. The Shawshank Redemption. The Matrix. The Shawshank Redemption. The Matrix. The Shawshank Redemption. The Matrix. The Shawshank Redemption. The Matrix. The Shawshank Redemption. The Matrix. The Shawshank Redemption. The Matrix. The Shawshank Redemption. The Matrix. The Shawshank Redemption. The Matrix. The Shawshank Redemption. The Matrix. The Shawshank Redemption. The Matrix. The Shawshank Redemption. The Matrix. The Shawshank Redemption. The Matrix. The Shawshank Redemption.

agree, agree. agree, agree etc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    agree, agree. agree, agree etc

;):):cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ;):):cool:

To be honest I can only pass judgement on the first twenty minutes or so of the Matrix. I cannot really believe any adult has watched it all the way through apart for film study purposes. Same goes for that ridiculous Sleeping Tiger tosh Movie BTW, has that been mentioned already.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To be honest I can only pass judgement on the first twenty minutes or so of the Matrix. I cannot really believe any adult has watched it all the way through apart for film study purposes.

It is ridiculous, adolescent, pseudo-philosphical rubbish and the directors should be shot with balls of their own overrated sh1t!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It is ridiculous, adolescent, pseudo-philosphical rubbish and the directors should be shot with balls of their own overrated sh1t!

I had a feeling that the ending would turn out like that :D