Options

Global Radio may lose Classic FM licence

MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,914
Forum Member
The Times reported today that "Global Radio faces the prospect of losing its lucrative Classic FM licence after communications minister Lord Carter rejected a proposal to extend it beyond 2011.

Without a change in legislation, the Classic FM licence will be advertised within the next 12 months and auctioned to the highest bidder."

Full article:
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/media/article5627243.ece

There's a much longer piece in Grant Goddards blog:

"The system for national commercial radio licences is simple. Sealed bids are placed in envelopes. Ofcom opens the envelopes. The bidder willing to pay the highest price wins the licence. That’s it. This system is enshrined in legislation. Even if Ofcom wants a different system, it cannot change it without legislation."

He argues that due to DAB take-up being lower than forecast the licence is worth far more than Global are currently paying for it.

"The licence format does not have to be classical music – the licensee can operate any format of its choice, apart from pop music (this caveat is in the legislation)."

However:

"Ofcom adopted a new policy in 2007 that all its analogue local and national radio licences would be scheduled to expire on 31 December 2015, or five years from their commencement, whichever is longer. For Classic FM, this means that its next licence period would theoretically run only from 1 October 2011 to 1 October 2016."

Full piece:
http://grantgoddardradioblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/classic-fm-always-check-expiry-date.html

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Classic FM weren't the highest bidders for the INR1 licence in 1991, they were the second highest bidders behind an outfit called Showtime Radio.

Virgin Radio were also the second highest bidders for the INR2 licence.

From memory I'm sure the RA decided in both cases that the highest bidders had bid too much to be able to sustain a viable quality service, and therefore awarded the licences to the second highest bidders. I don't think there was a judicial review in either case, but I could be wrong.

I would still fancy Classic FM to retain this licence in 2011, after some "behind the scenes negotiations". The "exceptional circumstances" could be taken to mean anything, as they were in 1991 apparently.

As for the national speech station on DAB, what's the betting that this will include a large amount of LBC content? In fact, why not just transmit LBC with an increasing amount of opt-outs over time?
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting find. I wonder if Global would argue for the rights to a 5 year extension but (taking the DWG's suggestions into account) suggest that instead of a proportion of revenue taken they would be required to add, say, 25 new DAB transmitters per year of the licence between Digital 1 and NOW (where adding one site for both services counts as 1.5)....
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Westward wrote: »
    Classic FM weren't the highest bidders for the INR1 licence in 1991, they were the second highest bidders behind an outfit called Showtime Radio.

Virgin Radio were also the second highest bidders for the INR2 licence.

From memory I'm sure the RA decided in both cases that the highest bidders had bid too much to be able to sustain a viable quality service, and therefore awarded the licences to the second highest bidders. I don't think there was a judicial review in either case, but I could be wrong.

I would still fancy Classic FM to retain this licence in 2011, after some "behind the scenes negotiations". The "exceptional circumstances" could be taken to mean anything, as they were in 1991 apparently.<snip>
    I think Showtime WERE actually awarded the licence but later didn't meet a deadline or criteria so the licence went to Classic. If Classic was to lose its FM licence to a non classical station but stays on digital then it could be the boost DAB needs.
    As for the national speech station on DAB, what's the betting that this will include a large amount of LBC content? In fact, why not just transmit LBC with an increasing amount of opt-outs over time?

I would like to see that although suspect this relates to the Digital One advert for potential providers which asked in particular for a provider interested in supplying a plays books and comedy service.
  • Options
    mbessexmbessex Posts: 2,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dpb wrote: »
    I think Showtime WERE actually awarded the licence but later didn't meet a deadline or criteria so the licence went to Classic. If Classic was to lose its FM licence to a non classical station but stays on digital then it could be the boost DAB needs.

I would like to see that although suspect this relates to the Digital One advert for potential providers which asked in particular for a provider interested in supplying a plays books and comedy service.

You are correct, Showtime failed to get the backing it required and the licence was reawarded to classic FM.
  • Options
    belleville1belleville1 Posts: 2,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing that's never been particularly clear to me is what precisely constitutes "music other than pop". Would, for example, a rhythmic dance/RnB format similar to Galaxy be "pop" in the eyes of the law? Or the current output of Smooth Radio? Or XFM? Or Kerrang? All play a large quantity of music that features or has featured in the charts, but none would describe themselves as pop stations. So does the law see pop music as a narrow definition covering music by the likes of Take That, Girls Aloud and the Sugababes, or is it chart music?
  • Options
    wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have read that there would be no restriction on the type of programming that INR1 bidders would be able to broadcast. If that transpires then I suspect quite a few applicants would be encouraged to take on BBC Radio 2.

It would be quite sad to loose Classic FM on FM but there is a school of thought that DAB availablity is sufficient. I suppose it all depends on how much cash the government want to make from the auction.
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    INR3 is the national "Pop Music" station, and that is broadcasting Absolute Radio.
  • Options
    SteveBentleySteveBentley Posts: 2,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kev wrote: »
    INR3 is the national "Pop Music" station, and that is broadcasting Absolute Radio.

That's INR2. INR3 is the speech station, originally Talk Radio, currently that pale shadow of its former self, TalkSport.
  • Options
    steveciscostevecisco Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    I have read that there would be no restriction on the type of programming that INR1 bidders would be able to broadcast. If that transpires then I suspect quite a few applicants would be encouraged to take on BBC Radio 2.

It would be quite sad to loose Classic FM on FM but there is a school of thought that DAB availablity is sufficient. I suppose it all depends on how much cash the government want to make from the auction.

The licence format does not have to be classical music – the licensee can operate any format of its choice, apart from pop music (this caveat is in the legislation)."

So No Radio 2 and possibly no Galaxy, Kerrang , XFM (unless they romved the POPular contempoary music from format and hence, become none commercial viable to put in a higher enougth bid to win in the first place). Its the LAW.

Intresting to know what Ofcom"s defination today of Pop is compared with the Radio Authority of the early Nineties. Formats have been simplified, although that does not stop managers getting them wrong before being handed yellow and Red Cards by Ofcom.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's INR2. INR3 is the speech station, originally Talk Radio, currently that pale shadow of its former self, TalkSport.

I'm pretty sure that Talk Radio never made a profit.

talkSPORT on the other hand has been a star performer for UTV with increasing revenue and profitability, before the recession anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    stevecisco wrote: »
    The licence format does not have to be classical music – the licensee can operate any format of its choice, apart from pop music (this caveat is in the legislation)."

So No Radio 2 and possibly no Galaxy, Kerrang , XFM (unless they romved the POPular contempoary music from format and hence, become none commercial viable to put in a higher enougth bid to win in the first place). Its the LAW.

Laws can be changed very easily, and that part of the legislation could be changed at the stroke of a pen by the current Government.

In the digital age this clause is pretty irrelevant, and awarding it to the highest bidder (with no conditions) would be consistent with other spectrum auctions under this Government.

Quoting the 1990 Broadcasting Act brought in by Margaret Thatcher is fair enough as things stand, but it isn't set in stone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be interesting to see who wants it and with what.

Maybe a return of Virgin?
  • Options
    steveciscostevecisco Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    A major problem for the nationals INR1,2 and 3 is the legislation that the Thatcher Government made requiring broadcasters to bid against each other. RThe money goes to the Treasurey rather then into making programmes or marketing. Showtime Radio failed to rise the dosh required to get on air Thier default was Classic FM's gain. Talk Radio got on air but had no real money to make the quality speech programmes it wanted outside Phone ins.

The legislation really ought to be changed for everyone's benefit. Ofcom have to work within the legislation. I am surprised the Labour Oppostion at the time now in Government for the last 12 years has done nothing to change it. Maybe no surpirses on second thoughts.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will serve the government right if Global bid the same amount as was bid originally for the licence. That will then give the government a real dilemma if they receive a higher bid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think TV-am!!!
  • Options
    BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IIRC- and it was a *long* time ago, 'pop' music was taken to mean 'not more than 25% of music could be music from the post 1960 singles charts'.

Even that isn't rock solid- twenty years on is pre-1960 now equivilant to pre-1980-i.e. would an 'oldies' service be acceptable?

In practice I'd be amazed if we get anything other than Classic FM.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    MikeBr wrote: »
    He argues that due to DAB take-up being lower than forecast the licence is worth far more than Global are currently paying for it.

I can't say I'm really bothered - I'm a satellite geek really - but I'm confused by this.

Low demand = low price? Surely?

Do enlighten me if otherwise!
  • Options
    RakimRakim Posts: 870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mbessex wrote: »
    Think TV-am!!!

In which respect... them losing the breakfast television licence/contract, or them originally being involved in INR2 (anyone remember the brief test transmissions from Virgin, which asked for reception reports to be sent to the former TV-am studio address)....???
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The government changed the bid process from a "beauty contest" (looking at who will provide the best service) to highest bids, TV AM lost to GM TV who bid higher, the boss of TV AM was a big Conservative supporter and Maggie Thatcher apologised personally to him!.

In Grant's blog (as I understand it) he refers to the current INR1, 2 and 3 stations where Ofcom reduced the analogue licence fee from what was bid (£1M PA plus 14% revenue) to a lower annual figure (£50k plus 6% revenue) as the analogue transmission would not be worth as much as they predicted digital would be by now the predominant system (this would include DAB, digital TV and the internet), but total digital listening has not reached the predicted figures, therefore Global may have to bid high to retain the FM licence which will be open to highest bids worldwide.

Global might hope Ofcom return to a "beauty contest" which favours Global in return for supporting Digital One, new national digital stations and a migration from FM to digital only after 2016.
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BMR wrote: »
    IIRC- and it was a *long* time ago, 'pop' music was taken to mean 'not more than 25% of music could be music from the post 1960 singles charts'.

<snip>

I think that is still the definition. From Classic FM's format:

3. No more than 25% of all music broadcast will be pop music as defined in 4 below.

4. The definition of pop music in Section 85(6) of the Broadcasting Act 1990 applies. Pop music is also defined as including all single records released after 1 January 1960 which are or have been:-

a. placed in popular music single charts,broadcast by UK independent and BBC radio stations;

b. singles recorded or released with a view to entering such charts or whose contents are in a style which, in the opinion of the Authority, seem or seemed suitable for entry to such charts;

c. listed in the 'Guinness Book of British Hit Singles' or 'The Billboard Hot 100 Book' or which could reasonably be assumed to be listed in future editions of these books.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/radiolicensing/formats/an001-2.doc
  • Options
    belleville1belleville1 Posts: 2,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dpb wrote: »
    I think that is still the definition. From Classic FM's format:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/radiolicensing/formats/an001-2.doc

Which limits the national commercial FM licence to classical music and, erm... jazz? If they were careful?

They wanted a classical music station.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which limits the national commercial FM licence to classical music and, erm... jazz? If they were careful?

They wanted a classical music station.
    Well no you could have done a Primetime format.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Showtime Radio proposition (the highest bidder) was for a station playing music from the movies & the theatre, like 24 hours of "Elaine Paige on Sunday" and "The David Jacobs Collection".
  • Options
    MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,914
    Forum Member
    Jimmie wrote: »
    Well no you could have done a Primetime format.

Yes you could, I found in a GWR submission to Ofcom the original bids:

"It is instructive to recall the process which led to Classic FM going on air in 1992. Following the 1990 Broadcasting Act, the Radio Authority advertised the national FM licence in a sealed-bid auction. There were three bidders, proposing three different programme styles and offering very different sums for the licence - in a ratio of 4:2:1.

The highest bidder proposed a service of music from stage shows and musicals, and offered £l.2 million per annum for the licence. Classic FM was the second bidder at £600,000, and a service offering melodic, easy listening music was third at £300,000. The highest bidder could not confirm its finance and the licence was offered to Classic FM."
  • Options
    BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westward wrote: »
    The Showtime Radio proposition (the highest bidder) was for a station playing music from the movies & the theatre, like 24 hours of "Elaine Paige on Sunday" and "The David Jacobs Collection".

That format would have been viable 20 years ago, when someone born in 1930 and who grew up with the music of the 40's and 50s would still have been around 60 years old.

That generation is too old now, surely?