Options

Battlestar Galactica-Final Series-UK PACE(Sky1)-*No Spoliers*

Comments

• Options
    starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to say, Cavil's speech about the supernova, and the limitations of the human body was one of the best speech's I've heard in any Sci-fi program for a long time.
    John (repeats): No? Well, I have. I saw a star explode and send out the building blocks of the Universe. Other stars, other planets and eventually other life. A supernova! Creation itself! I was there. I wanted to see it and be part of the moment. And you know how I perceived one of the most glorious events in the universe? (sneering) With these ridiculous gelatinous orbs (gesturing to his eyes) in my skull! (disgusted) With eyes designed to perceive only a tiny fraction of the EM spectrum. With ears designed only to hear vibrations in the air.

Ellen: The five of us designed you to be as human as possible.

John: I DON'T WANT TO BE HUMAN! I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! And I want to--I want to smell dark matter! Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly because I have to--I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language! But I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws! (closes eyes) And feel the wind of a supernova flowing over me!! I'm a machine! And I can know much more! (softly) I can experience so much more. BUT I'M TRAPPED IN THIS ABSURD BODY! AND WHY? Because my five creators thought that God wanted it that way!

Brillantly acted by Dean Stockwell as well. Cavil's self-loathing and need for vengeness is just fantastically done.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same here. For me it's the stand out scene of the entire series.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All I could think of listening to Cavill's gamma speech was, 'this is all getting very Blade Runner'. Maybe Rutger Hauer/Roy Batty is the Cylon God.
  • Options
    Daren-MarcDaren-Marc Posts: 364
    Forum Member
    Bester wrote: »
    ^^ My guess would be, Sky will show it in exactly the same way.

Who cares!!! Thank goodness for uTorrent that is all I will say ;););)
  • Options
    BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Can't disagree with that!

Even for the sake of a few days, it's still a godsend! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can't disagree with that!

Even for the sake of a few days, it's still a godsend! :D

Isnt it just!!!:D:D

We are already planning our finale day! A group of us watching series 4 (inc Razor) back-to-back! Gonna be a fun long day that one! The phone will be unplugged from the walls, Mobiles banned (apart from pizza ordering!)

OoooooooooH!! I am so exicted!! Positively moist I am!!!;);)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    its taken me about an hour and 15 minutes to do all the reading this morning, but I think i finally understand last nights episode!

lol

I couldnt watch it via a torrent, it has to be watched in high def
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ntto wrote: »
    its taken me about an hour and 15 minutes to do all the reading this morning, but I think i finally understand last nights episode!

lol

We DL the 1080 files from uTorrent direct to the household media centre the stream direct to lounge TV - Hey Presto true HD BSG on a Saturday without having to wait until Tuesday - Plus NO ADVERTS!!!!

Woooooo-Frackin'-Hooooooo!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member

The two aren't mutually exclusive ;)

Edit: ^^ Yeah, exactly what we do. Straight to the media centre and then HDMI'd through to the Bravia. Superb!
  • Options
    Forum Member

Edit: ^^ Yeah, exactly what we do. Straight to the media centre and then HDMI'd through to the Bravia. Superb!

Isn't modern technology frackin' amazing!?!?!:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member

I give sky my support for showing their imports so close to the US dates, so I wait until its broadcast.

House however....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mr klaw wrote: »
    I give sky my support for showing their imports so close to the US dates, so I wait until its broadcast.

House however....

I would continue to support Sky if they had not screwed me over a year or so ago! So now I am a very happy Virgin customer with a superb 20m BB service that allows a good fast download. Plus I am just such an impatient person, I mean we have been waiting nigh on 12months for season 4.5. The prospect of having to wait another 4 days would have made my head explode!!! ;);)
  • Options
    Forum Member

Are you sure??

What compression is used on the files you download? Are they in 5.1 surround?
  • Options
    Ultra MagnusUltra Magnus Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starsailor wrote: »
    Brillantly acted by Dean Stockwell as well. Cavil's self-loathing and need for vengeness is just fantastically done.

Stockwell is superb and it's great that he's getting a chance to show off his acting chops.

Whilst the dialogue is good, in the hands of a lesser actor it could have come across as hammy and stupid.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say that I have followed this series from the very start (even when we lost SKY1 on Virgin I switched to other sources)! The whole series has been fantastic and I love the depth they have given to the CYLONS. I love the story arc and how it is now all panning out. I love the grit and the gore. I love that it’s a modern drama set in space not just a space opera!

I am quite surprised at how they have developed the final 5 CYLONS though. It is rather confusing that they were descended from another race of CYLONS and that it is a cycle that repeats it’s self.

My favourite character has got to be the number 6 model. I like the way that all of her characters look and act so differently.

Ellen’s downloaded character was defiantly a surprise for sure, she was so different to her previous incarnation.

It is a shame that it is coming to an end however I think they did the right thing because of the nature of the story arc it could have lost something if it had went on for longer!
  • Options
    remlapremlap Posts: 6,256
    Forum Member
    John Hodgman cameo as a Brain Surgeon was great.

I can understand where the Number Six Cylon comes from, she is obviously modelled on Ellen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Spike305 wrote: »
    Could Daniel not be starbuck. As Ellen said that John warped or distorted the genetic code of the number 7s. could she not be what was rescued/repaired (being a girl could also help hide her from john). as Ellen said Daniel was a artist. Starbuck in the past has painted (when she was a kid, when she was looking for earth
    ).

POSSIBLE SPOILER BELOW - sorry, I don't know how to blank out the text

Thinking about last night's episode this morning, it struck me that Daniel could be Starbuck's father?

She never knew who her father was, if I remember correctly, but Leoben obviously knew something about him. Perhaps Starbuck has inherited her artistic talent from him?

I'm maybe getting WAY ahead of myself here - but if Daniel IS Starbuck's father - and we've already met her Human mother - doesn't this mean that Starbuck is the first Human / Cylon hybrid child, rather than Hera?

Starbuck is obviously meant to be a person of HUGE importance in this story, as has been made clear right from the first series.

Just some musings
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IceFire wrote: »
    Thinking about last night's episode this morning, it struck me that Daniel could be Starbuck's father?

She never knew who her father was, if I remember correctly, but Leoben obviously knew something about him. Perhaps Starbuck has inherited her artistic talent from him?

I'm maybe getting WAY ahead of myself here - but if Daniel IS Starbuck's father - and we've already met her Human mother - doesn't this mean that Starbuck is the first Human / Cylon hybrid child, rather than Hera?

Starbuck is obviously meant to be a person of HUGE importance in this story, as has been made clear right from the first series.

Just some musings

Maybe. But remember the writers went as far as "retro-fitting" (RDM's words) things by making Hotdog Nicky's father presisely to make it fit in with the concept of Hera being the first Human/Cylon child. To then make it Starbuck wouldnt really make a lot of sense. You could be right though, but I'm just not feeling it.
  • Options
    Ultra MagnusUltra Magnus Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    POSSIBLE SPOILER BELOW - sorry, I don't know how to blank out the text

That's not a spoiler, that's speculation. It's fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Maybe. But remember the writers went as far as "retro-fitting" (RDM's words) things by making Hotdog Nicky's father presisely to make it fit in with the concept of Hera being the first Human/Cylon child. To then make it Starbuck wouldnt really make a lot of sense. You could be right though, but I'm just not feeling it.

Yeah, that's a good point. The writers did go to a lot of bother dealing with the 'Nicky problem' that had arisen!

There is SOMETHING very special about Starbuck though - the Cylons have always regarded her as 'different' from other Humans, they have a kind of unspoken respect or almost 'reverance' for her. She obviously has a special Destiny, something that Leoben has always tried to emphasize to her. And she was 'glowing' like the other Cylons last night...

It's too much of a co-incidence, I think that both Starbuck and this 'Daniel' have such an artistic talent - I'm certain there is some connection between them. I'm really thinking that Starbuck is Daniel's daughter - but what that means for Hera's role, I don't know
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was great. I'd thought before that it didn't matter who the 12th Cylon was, because she didn't know and it didn't affect anything. However, they've used it to effectively insert a new major character into the drama and I love it. It all fits but that part was still a surprise.

No surprise that the Final 5 are actually the First 5 or that there was a 13th model, or that the First 5 brought most of the resurrection technology. Interesting that the Centurions had developed the Hybrids on their own, and it sounded like the human model Cylons were not actually much based on Hybrids.

I reckon Centurions have been getting the short straw here. They were doing OK on their own, then the First 5 contacted them and took over. They were effectively enslaved all over again, this time by the human models. They were fitted with circuits which made them obey. Those circuits have now been lifted by Natalie. Surely there must be repercussions.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,726
    Forum Member
    Yeah, that's a good point. The writers did go to a lot of bother dealing with the 'Nicky problem' that had arisen!

There is SOMETHING very special about Starbuck though - the Cylons have always regarded her as 'different' from other Humans, they have a kind of unspoken respect or almost 'reverance' for her. She obviously has a special Destiny, something that Leoben has always tried to emphasize to her. And she was 'glowing' like the other Cylons last night...

It's too much of a co-incidence, I think that both Starbuck and this 'Daniel' have such an artistic talent - I'm certain there is some connection between them. I'm really thinking that Starbuck is Daniel's daughter - but what that means for Hera's role, I don't know

She could be pythia?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    No surprise that the Final 5 are actually the First 5 or that there was a 13th model, or that the First 5 brought most of the resurrection technology.
    If you look at it from the perspective of the 13th Colony, they are the final five.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Are you sure??

What compression is used on the files you download? Are they in 5.1 surround?

I usually get the 720p versions. Encoded .mkv files which include 5.1 sound.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have been thinking about this and what if Ellen is Starbucks mother and Daniel her father that would make her the first cylon / cylon hybrid ??