Options

Not The Nine O' Clock News.

stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
Forum Member
✭✭
Is this not one of the greatest shows ever made?

What a perfect combination of talent and writing. Caught some repeats the other night - I can remember pissing myself laughing the first time I saw the gramophone sketch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSINO6MKtco

Rowan Atkinson in an ape suit, classic. And what great songs they did, All Out Superpower Confrontation, Gob On You.:D

Comments

• Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfGmlSmtSDQ

Rowan's speech to the Conservative Party Conference is one of my favourites. It's spot on.
  • Options
    will2510will2510 Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »

What a perfect combination of talent and writing. Caught some repeats the other night - I can remember pissing myself laughing the first time I saw the gramophone sketch.

Rowan Atkinson in an ape suit, classic. And what great songs they did, All Out Superpower Confrontation, Gob On You.:D

And one which hasn't seen the light of day for ages... "Ayatollah, Don't come any closer".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGBfYoldZQ4
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They never did repeat the one where we saw Pamela Stephenson's breasts exposed!!
  • Options
    I love EllieI love Ellie Posts: 8,009
    Forum Member
    "Certainly Sir, and would you like to rub my tits too?".

That scene when Pamela rips open her blouse had quite a profound effect on me at the time. I was only 12.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    Sidesplittingly funny in its day, but a bit tame by todays standards.

Memorable Sketches...

1 = Racist policeman getting a dressing down
    2 = The Hi Fi shop
    3 = I like trucking song
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They never did repeat the one where we saw Pamela Stephenson's breasts exposed!!

That scene when Pamela rips open her blouse had quite a profound effect on me at the time. I was only 12.

This is it guys - happy days :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF-U9nL9Ios
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NR13JG wrote: »
    Sidesplittingly funny in its day, but a bit tame by todays standards.

Memorable Sketches...

1 = Racist policeman getting a dressing down
    2 = The Hi Fi shop
    3 = I like trucking song

Constable Savage where are you in these troubled times.

Knowing someone who was in Special Branch I would say that sketch is very realistic.:D
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "When I CAUGHT Gerald in 1968........ he was completely wild."

"Wild! I was absolutely LIVID!"

I still can't see a cup cake without thinking "crumbly candy bars".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bobone wrote: »

Wahey !

"Put your head between them and go bbl bbl bbl with American Express".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    stvn758 wrote: »

I like trucking, I like trucking, I like trucking and I like to truck!
  • Options
    skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    Imagine the outcry if they repeated it now ? :)
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's on Paramount Comedy all the time.

The only outcry you'd get is probably from the Tories. They were the butt of many of the jokes, as they were the party in power when it first aired.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favorites were the sucessful piece by piece deconstruction of Game For A Laugh ("Let's hope he doesn't recognise me with this disguse"),
    and That's Life ("This has absoultely nothing to do with us").
  • Options
    revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bobone wrote: »

Pamela actually gets them completely out in a sketch in series 3. She's in the bath with Jacques Cousteau and is topless :cool:
    Not that I'm obsessed with these kind of things :o
  • Options
    DartfordHoopDartfordHoop Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    revolver44 wrote: »
    Pamela actually gets them completely out in a sketch in series 3. She's in the bath with Jacques Cousteau and is topless :cool:

PLEASE PLEASE post a link so we can see this!!!!
  • Options
    Julie68Julie68 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Nice video, shame about the song'... I love that one and also 'Kinda Linders' is brilliant too.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    revolver44 wrote: »

Yes, that's the sketch I remembered, although the American Express one was almost as good.
  • Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Kate Bush 'tribute' was an uproarious classic, although it seems to be particularly scarce on the internet.

"People buy my latest hits, 'cause they liked my latex tits..."
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Why don't the BBC have the rights to the full series? All we have are the Best of Compliations on DVD. Would be interesting to see the whole series in it's entirety.
    The "Failed in Wales" sketch is hilarious :D;) Also like Game for a Laugh, Hey Wow! (makes me laugh and cringe, I liked Why Don't You as a kid :o ), The Two Ninnnies and the spoof pop songs :D
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Why don't the BBC have the rights to the full series? All we have are the Best of Compliations on DVD. Would be interesting to see the whole series in it's entirety.
    The "Failed in Wales" sketch is hilarious :D;) Also like Game for a Laugh, Hey Wow! (makes me laugh and cringe, I liked Why Don't You as a kid :o ), The Two Ninnnies and the spoof pop songs :D

"Laid in Wales" and "Made from wales" were great too.

I think my favourite song of theirs was "I Believe".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Having downloaded a couple of series from a torrent site the DVDs covers the best bits from the show. Sketches used to get repeated in different shows and although there are a couple of good sketches not on the DVD by and large you're not missing much.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I remember Made from Wales :D

Demis Rousos, Doner Kebabs. The Rubbery lumps in Japanese lunches. Lard. The seats in minicabs. :D
  • Options
    jeffersbnljeffersbnl Posts: 4,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember Made from Wales :D

Demis Rousos, Doner Kebabs. The Rubbery lumps in Japanese lunches. Lard. The seats in minicabs. :D
    Don't you mean made from Whales?! There was also "Failed in Wales" to the same tune :D

And its "Kinda Lingers" not linders, of course I've no idea why its so rude ;) Apparently they were only just allowed to broadcast that- and it was the very last sketch they did.

There are many classic sketches- the BBC 2 continuity, drunken darts, Two Ninnies (and I like that despite enjoying The Two Ronnies), I Like Trucking, Super Doopa, Question Time, Deaf Telephone....
  • Options
    nightporternightporter Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have the NTNOCN LP (very old) it has a few scratches one of which is at the end of the American Express scene so it sounds like this: Would you like to rub my tits too......tits too....tits too...tits too and so on. You couldn't edit it better if you tried.