Options

New Sky HD EPG Single Feed Mode Doesn't Work.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    so what happens if u select single feed option in the settings

does it allow you to enable anytime ? if so does this have any problems ie recordings not working etc ?

a lack of epg information i can live with as long as its a days worth that should be fine. i tend to series link most programs im interested in.
  • Options
    Analogue110Analogue110 Posts: 3,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so what happens if u select single feed option in the settings

does it allow you to enable anytime ? if so does this have any problems ie recordings not working etc ?

a lack of epg information i can live with as long as its a days worth that should be fine. i tend to series link most programs im interested in.

I dont know, and as I dont have the new EPG, I cant find out, but you can have lots of fun finding out when you get it:)
    Its ironic, I hate Anytime, and have it off, and I have a dual feed so I will not be persuing this, but have fun yourself:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    Hi all,

It is possible to enable anytime with single feed mode on. Mine is off.

As for what problems it causes, I will work on it though it is gonna take a few days to work out just how to make my recordings work. At the moment I have a dummy recording which is allocated to tuner 2 (no feed), and got a recording clash message when a second recording wanted to start and I was watching a third channel. I ignored the banner and it changed channel and made the second recording.

To confirm - I definitely have single feed mode on!

I do like the new way to browse the TV guide and get the info on the highlighted program automatically. Mini TV is handy at the moment when in and out of the settings. In the now next banner it has a very smooth animation as you scroll left/right. Selecting a Series Link is instant at last!! And it is so cool during live pause that tv guide just works without an error about exiting pause!

Chris
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is possible to enable Anytime in single feed mode See #20 and #21
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can anyone in the latest batch of updates that has 2 feeds turn on single feed mode and let us know if it causes any problems making two recordings at once????

Chris
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does enabling the Single Feed Mode on a Sky+HD box with the new Guide offer any advantages over enabling Single Feed Mode on a box with the previous Sky Guide?
    Unfortunately not. The box will still have all the limitations that it had with the previous Sky Guide e.g. only being able to record one channel at a time, and having to pre-tune to a channel before recording to guarantee success. There is no additional clash management provided by Single Feed Mode.

From the Sky help centre FAQ about the new EPG I hope that helps
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    desserts wrote: »
    Can anyone in the latest batch of updates that has 2 feeds turn on single feed mode and let us know if it causes any problems making two recordings at once????

I don't think I follow, but if you are asking what happens if a 2 feed box is put into single feed mode, I assume that the box just assumes Input 2 is not there and only uses Input 1 and as such can't make two recordings at once.
  • Options
    ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does enabling the Single Feed Mode on a Sky+HD box with the new Guide offer any advantages over enabling Single Feed Mode on a box with the previous Sky Guide?
    Unfortunately not. The box will still have all the limitations that it had with the previous Sky Guide e.g. only being able to record one channel at a time, and having to pre-tune to a channel before recording to guarantee success. There is no additional clash management provided by Single Feed Mode.

From the Sky help centre FAQ about the new EPG I hope that helps

That's an answer from sky?

The OLD EPG did NOT have an official single feed mode, that's why people had to faff about with dummy manual recordings.

So Sky don't know their own product do they?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it is badly written, but you know as well as I do that it refers to a dummy recording set-up with the old EPG
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have the single feed problem or the new EPG as I have a Pace box ,but I see Prodave sates

ProDave wrote: »
    but from what others say, in "normal" mode it now uses input 2 as the watch tuner, not input 1. so maybee if it "thinks" it has 2 feeds, it switches between them more often than you might think, or more often than it did with the old EPG.

You don't have the proper feed to input 2 do you .

I have seen a few posts where they had to swap their feed to input 2 from input 1 to view the signal

Worth a try ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CharlesC wrote: »
    I don't think I follow, but if you are asking what happens if a 2 feed box is put into single feed mode, I assume that the box just assumes Input 2 is not there and only uses Input 1 and as such can't make two recordings at once.

Charles,

You do follow - that is my whole point. I am trying to troubleshoot my new EPG. I bet if someone with a 2 feed system switches it into single feed mode they will be able make two recordings at once. I would assume the same, but as I titled this thread single feed mode doesn't work!!

Chris
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now im confused. If your issues, Chris, are common then what does the single feed option achieve? Skys FAQ's say

"The box will still have all the limitations that it had with the previous Sky Guide e.g. only being able to record one channel at a time, and having to pre-tune to a channel before recording to guarantee success. There is no additional clash management provided by Single Feed Mode"

I dont have to pre-tune to a channel before recording with the dummy recording set-up, it switches to the channel i want to record automatically. So what exactly does the new option do :confused:

I have limitations yes - only record one channel at a time and cant watch one record another - but with the proliferation of +1 channels and my freeview tuner on the tv its rarely a problem. Is this new feature really a step backwards for us
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,601
    Forum Member
    lcfctom wrote: »
    So what exactly does the new option do :confused:

It lets the box work, without it you get the 'no satellite signal is being received' message. You can also set recordings without messing about with dummy ones, sounds like a good idea to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lcfctom wrote: »
    Now im confused. If your issues, Chris, are common then what does the single feed option achieve? Skys FAQ's say

"The box will still have all the limitations that it had with the previous Sky Guide e.g. only being able to record one channel at a time, and having to pre-tune to a channel before recording to guarantee success. There is no additional clash management provided by Single Feed Mode"

I dont have to pre-tune to a channel before recording with the dummy recording set-up, it switches to the channel i want to record automatically. So what exactly does the new option do :confused:

I have limitations yes - only record one channel at a time and cant watch one record another - but with the proliferation of +1 channels and my freeview tuner on the tv its rarely a problem. Is this new feature really a step backwards for us

I can't imagine sky announcing a single feed mode and then saying nothing has changed.

so the update has ended the ability to have a dummy recording but has not made it possible for it change channels when recording DOH !!

i will wait till i get the epg to give my view
    but balls up comes to mind if its true lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think its best we leave judgment for us single feed users till we get the update.

but i do hope its as nigel describes otherwise whats the use of it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    so the update has ended the ability to have a dummy recording but has not made it possible for it change channels when recording DOH !!

well of corse not, if the update did that then NOBODY would need 2 feeds!

If you have only got access to 1 feed then you will NEVER be able to record and watch another channel, no update will ever change that.

But Sky have recognised the fact that some people will only have access to one feed and have tried to make it workable with that one feed. and so far sounds like they have done a good job, no more dummy recordings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deanos63 wrote: »
    If you have only got access to 1 feed then you will NEVER be able to record and watch another channel, no update will ever change that.

I think the point been made and I may be wrong is that the box needs leaving on the correct channel for it to record , it won't auto select the correct change

An example , you have a single feed and want to record CH 401 whilst you are out , but you have left the box on Ch 501 so the recording fails as it needs to be left on the channel that is been recorded
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the point been made and I may be wrong is that the box needs leaving on the correct channel for it to record , it won't auto select the correct change

If you are right, then the single feed mode is useless. You wouldn't be able to set multiple recordings on different channels while you were away. Something that my early single tuner freeview PVR has no trouble with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ProDave wrote: »
    If you are right, then the single feed mode is useless. You wouldn't be able to set multiple recordings on different channels while you were away. Something that my early single tuner freeview PVR has no trouble with.

I am only going by what I read in the previous posts , I have no new HD EPG and quad LNB with lots of feeds so if I am wrong , shoot me :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In essence Single Feed Mode does this.

(1) It ignores the second tuner. Wether input 2 remains connected in any way, I will find out when I get the New EPG.

(2) It disables Anytime in order to give the New EPG max information, however you can re-enable Anytime if you wish at the expense of EPG infor mation.

(3) There is no longer any clash information displayed, so if you set up a recording on a channel other than the one you are watching, it will fail, with no on screen indication. If you leave the box on standby, or watch the channel you wish to record, it will record o.k.

(4) It is my guess that if you re-enable Anytime, and set up a recording, then the recording will take prioirty over Anytime, and as sky have said Anytime will take priority over EPG info

(5) You can set up mulitply recordings on differant channels if the box is in standby, but you cannot record two channels at once
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In essence Single Feed Mode does this.

(1) It ignores the second tuner. Wether input 2 remains connected in any way, I will find out when I get the New EPG.

(2) It disables Anytime in order to give the New EPG max information, however you can re-enable Anytime if you wish at the expense of EPG infor mation.

(3) There is no longer any clash information displayed, so if you set up a recording on a channel other than the one you are watching, it will fail, with no on screen indication. If you leave the box on standby, or watch the channel you wish to record, it will record o.k.

(4) It is my guess that if you re-enable Anytime, and set up a recording, then the recording will take prioirty over Anytime, and as sky have said Anytime will take priority over EPG info

(5) You can set up mulitply recordings on differant channels if the box is in standby, but you cannot record two channels at once

Thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's a MAJOR flaw.

So you are saying, if you set up 1 or more recordings on a channel other than what you are currently watching, the box MUST be on standby, otherwise the recordings will fail.

How stupid is that?

As I have said before, my old single tuner DTT PVR will just switch it's single tuner over to the scheduled recording channel after displaying a warning for 30 seconds.

I can see a lot of people having problems with this. Quite often my sky box gets turned on by "accident" when someone uses the sky remote to turn the tv on (to watch a DVD for instance) but they failed to press the tv button first, so by accident the sky box turns on. If this happens, your recordings would fail, and you would rightly be peed off.

Another failing of the new EPG? good intentions, but poor implementation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should be able to view more than one channel on a single feed - provided it's on the same band/polarity... There are boxes out there that can record two channels and watch a third, subject to that limitation. It shouldn't be beyond Sky to come up with something that works like that.

Faiing instead of putting up a warning and giving the user the option I'd list as a bug - not much point in a single feed mode if it has a limitation like that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Guys,

** A lot of you are talking from assumptions about what a single feed mode SHOULD do. ** If you have not got the new EPG please do not try to explain how it works!!! No offence. **

I have single feed mode switched on, and have been precise in my first post of how it behaves.

Since my last post:

1) Today I tried to set a recording for Thursday and my EPG did not go further than 24 hours into the future - got no schedule information message.

2) I still have my dummy recordings set as I used to - they are allocated the tuner with no signal and fail.

NOTE: I do not put my box in standby. Auto standby is off. Anytime is off.

My complaint about the now-next banner not updating during playback has not recurred.

Is there someone with a 2 feed system and new EPG that can switch on single feed mode and tell us how it behaves? I bet it will work as normal and successfully use both tuners.

It could be a fault with my box - so any other peoples experience would be loads of help to me!

Thanks,
    Chris
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Desserts , which input do you have your single feed hooked into , 1 or 2 ?