Forum Member
I think yes I do.

That Cheryl not sing can't she.

But other girls in group good. :)

Comments

• Options
    EtherealEthereal Posts: 36,118
    Forum Member
    In terms of singing, not so much. Nadine and Nicola are the only great singers, the rest can hold a tune at times but are nothing special IMO.
  • Options
    Sam200XSam200X Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good writers, producers, hair and makeup - that's all.
  • Options
    tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GA have zero talent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,259
    Forum Member
    In my opinion they have no talent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely Not. Nyet. Nein. Non. No.
  • Options
    LittleMissNuffyLittleMissNuffy Posts: 450
    Forum Member
    In a word, no.
  • Options
    zoundszounds Posts: 10,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've all got better voices than most of us no doubt, so yeah, bit of talent there, the crappy commercial pop songs are another matter tho'.
  • Options
    ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if they don't, I guess we're to blame, since we voted for them!
  • Options
    !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're ok singer, but have some genius producers and writers behind them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nadine and Nicola both have really fantastic voices. Sarah can certainly crank a good vocal out, but she can overdo it a bit. Cheryl and Kimberley are weaker but can still "sing". They can all dance well (Nadine was a bit dodgy in the early days but she's improved massively). Saying they have "zero" talent is a tad over the top.

And yes, they do have a genius team of producers and writers, but what no-one ever mentions is the fact that the girls themselves do actually have a hand in some of the writing process.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And yes, they do have a genius team of producers and writers, but what no-one ever mentions is the fact that the girls themselves do actually have a hand in some of the writing process.

"Change a word, take a third" as the old industry phrase about writing credits/royalties goes...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some are more talented than others. :p I love Cheryl,Nicola and Nadine's voices most of the time,Kimberley is admittedly quite weak but still enjoyable,don't like Sarah's voice at all now because she overdoes it too much, before she started on her "rock chick" thing she was much better IMHO. And their dancing is amazing. And as someone else said they do have a hand in the writing process too,and that's often overlooked but it shouldn't be.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nadine's the only one I'd say has a great voice, Nicola and Sarah are good at times, and Kimberley and Cheryl aren't even decent...
    They can dance, or at least wave their arms and pout, I suppose.
    And I'd like to know just how much they 'co-write' of their songs before I judge them on that. Though 'Something Kinda Ooh' is hardly lyrical genius, even if they did have a hand in it...
  • Options
    superstar111superstar111 Posts: 18,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kimberley is amazing, but not on fast songs haha! Her part on Whole Lotta History is immense!
    Nicola and Nadine are good but the other two aren't that good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ajay14 wrote: »
    Though 'Something Kinda Ooh' is hardly lyrical genius, even if they did have a hand in it...

No, but it's probably pop music genius overall.

And they can't dance. None of them. I've seen them live, great show, dodgy vocals all over, terrible dancing.
  • Options
    Robert RomarinRobert Romarin Posts: 11,956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a tricky question with singers because a lot of them are known for their recordings...and vocals can be enhanced quite a lot in the studio. The odd time I've heard Girls Aloud sing 'live' they were not very good collectively and I suspect that they were singing over pre-recorded vocals too.

I would tend to reserve the 'talented' label for singers with range and power and versatility...as well as the ability to sing in tune. Even then there are some vocalists who don't have all these skills but have an exceptionally attractive tone or an ability to convey emotion that more talented singers lack.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no i dont think they have any talent! Recorded yes live no lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,204
    Forum Member
    nicola and nadine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's funny,when I saw them live on the Tangled Up tour,Nadine and Cheryl were the best that night. I don't know what on earth happened to Nicola,usually she's amazing and I was prepared to be amazed,but she sounded terrible that night,I was so disappointed.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sam200X wrote: »
    Good writers, producers, hair and makeup - that's all.

What have they written and produced?
  • Options
    Satan's SonSatan's Son Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its just trashy pop, nothing bad, nothing great. just so so
  • Options
    DigiPalDigiPal Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing writers, producers, good management, and they keep racking up the hits

They may not individually great singers, however, in all honesty who cares?

They've earned their place in the charts, and what they do, they do it very well - so from all these aspects, yes they are talented

And to come from reality tv hell, to the sustained success they have now, takes some doing
  • Options
    phillip5439phillip5439 Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    surely they have some talent 'cause they were on a live national tv singing contest and they were the best, or does that prove how crap these shows are?
  • Options
    DigiPalDigiPal Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    surely they have some talent 'cause they were on a live national tv singing contest and they were the best, or does that prove how crap these shows are?

Will Young - Pop Idol
    Kelly Clarkson - AI
    Girls Aloud - Popstars the Rivals
    Jeniffer Hudson - American Idol
    Leona Lewis - X Factor
    Connie Fisher - HDYSAPLM
    Lee Mead - ADWD
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They can all sing and perform reasonably well. You wouldn't really want 5 big voiced diva's in a girlband singing the songs that they do so it works. I don't think Nicola's all that great, but Nadine makes for a good lead singer. Sarah totally over estimates her own ability. They've got the personalities and image to suit their songs.

And they also have to take some credit for their early days. Most acts are followed closely by management at first, but Louis Walsh had no interest and left them to it with pretty much no experience. Given the perception of them as 5 airheads, you might not have expected them to make it through that. Supposedly Kimberley was the organised one. Though it probably helped them in the long-run to get some kind of understanding of the business and to stand on their own two feet. I'm sure I also read an interview once where they said the absence of a proper manager helped them build a closer relationship with Xenomania and that's been massive in their career.