Options

X Men Origins:Wolverine

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    The opening credits sequence was superb, wasn't it? Fantastic editing.

Coming so soon after 'Watchmen' did the exact same thing with it's opening titles, i was considerably less impressed with Wolverine's effort, and quite frankly i would have liked to have actually seen Logan and Victor fighting in those wars as opposed to just a few brief slow motion snap-shots.
  • Options
    PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PLUS!!! wolverine's claws were clearly CGI - they didn't even look 'there' whereas in the first 2 x men films they were physical props.

how on earth can effects get WORSE??

CGI is ruining so many films. back to stunts and props please
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like they're going to be doing a sequel about Wolverines time in Japan which will be good - I just wish they go for a higher rating rather than sticking to a 12a
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    Coming so soon after 'Watchmen' did the exact same thing with it's opening titles, i was considerably less impressed with Wolverine's effort, and quite frankly i would have liked to have actually seen Logan and Victor fighting in those wars as opposed to just a few brief slow motion snap-shots.

I haven't seen Watchmen. Perhaps that would have coloured my judgement somewhat.
    PJ68 wrote: »
    PLUS!!! wolverine's claws were clearly CGI - they didn't even look 'there' whereas in the first 2 x men films they were physical props.

how on earth can effects get WORSE??

CGI is ruining so many films. back to stunts and props please

Bad CGI is ruining so many films. In a lot of films these days, CGI is used and you wouldn't even really know it.

I agree about Wolverine's claws though. In many shots it didn't look as if they were really there. There was bad CGI throughout the film.
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Listentome wrote: »
    I know what you mean, but thinking about (haven't watched X2 for a while so could be wrong)
    Stryker saying he thought Logan was one of a kind, could just mean the type of mutant he is rather than being the only mutant. So Stryker could easily have known about other mutants.

That wasn't quite what I meant. Stryker was clearly aware of other mutants, because his son was one and he'd taken him to Xavier's school. What I meant was
    In X2, Stryker seemed to be implying that Wolverine's healing power was believed to be unique, until he found Lady Deathstrike. But in Wolverine he's also got Sabretooth on his team, with the same power and later goes on to build Weapon XI - aka Deadpool - with the same healing ability AND adamantium skeleton.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    how was gambit in the film? i will still watch it just for him
  • Options
    VennegoorVennegoor Posts: 14,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gambit was terrific. Really great casting.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    In X2, Stryker seemed to be implying that Wolverine's healing power was believed to be unique, until he found Lady Deathstrike. But in Wolverine he's also got Sabretooth on his team, with the same power and later goes on to build Weapon XI - aka Deadpool - with the same healing ability AND adamantium skeleton.
    I don't think he meant that having a healing factor in general was unique, but that having one which could handle the Adamantium bonding process was unique. Sabretooth "tested negative" for Adamantium compatibility, while Deadpool was only able to undergo the process because he/it had *Wolverine's* healing factor. So Deathstrike would have been the first since Wolverine who could handle it "naturally".

Was I the only person who hated Wade?

Hmm. Anyway...

Some bits I enjoyed, some bits irritated me.

Regarding Logan & Creed being brothers... OK, not canon, but it has been hinted at in the comics, & they did borrow heavily from "Origin" for the start of the movie. It worked for me, & their relationship was quite interesting & at least gave both some motivation (pity they both forgot all about it by the time of X1 eh? OK, so Wolverine lost his memory, but what about Sabretooth?).

Gambit was OK. Underused though.

Wade... sod off. As soon as I saw him, I thought "Oh crap, I think it's that irritating "funny" one who spoiled my enjoyment of Blade Trinity". Then he opened his mouth & I thought "Yep, it really is that irritating "funny" one who spoiled my enjoyment of Blade Trinity. Arse". He was just that c**k Hannibal King but with a pair of swords.
    If only he'd had his mouth sewn shut earlier on. Oh, & in Blade Trinity too.

Liev Schreiber was good as Sabretooth. Although I guess we are supposed to assume that in the period between this & X1, Sabretooth loses his memory, becomes a bit stupid, & gets really hairy.

The Blob at the wrestling ring... Sorry, but all I could think of was "Fat Bastard" from Austin Powers.

And who hired the guy from the Black Eyed Peas? :confused:
    Adamantium bullets can pierce Wolverine's Adamantium skull? Adamantium bullets? Frak. Right. Off. Adamantium does not beat Adamantium. They should have come up with a different explanation for Wolverine losing his memory, instead of being shot in the head with Adamantium bullets FFS. Maybe shock/grief from his girlfriend dying for real (shock/grief has caused him to lose memories before). Just something other than being shot in the head with Adamantium bullets!
    Stryker spent $500 million giving Wolverine Adamantium, just to check that his healing factor could handle it before using his DNA to give the same healing factor to Weapon XI? Arse.
    What was the point in the mid-credits bit where Stryker is taken into custody for killing the General? We know it comes to nothing, as by the time of X2 he still has a lot of clout & resources & has the ear of the President.
    In fact... what was the point of any of it? The Wolverine/Sabretooth stuff was ultimately pointless, given that the relationship has not been touched upon in the X-Men movies, so - going solely by the X-Men movies & ignoring the comics - the viewer doesn't know or care what the two of them did prior, nor even know that Wolverine & Sabretooth knew each other. And we know how Wolverine got his Adamantium, even if it was only a flashback in X2. Actually, thinking of X2, I would have liked some backstory on the movie continuity's version of Lady Deathstrike.

I did enjoy it in places, but thinking about it lessens that.

I wish that Bryan Singer had stayed with the franchise for X3, instead of sodding off for that lame Superman movie, & had then done a Wolverine movie himself.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    The Blob at the wrestling ring... Sorry, but all I could think of was "Fat Bastard" from Austin Powers.

Ha, ha, I thought the same thing. (See post #32.)
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was disappointed with the film. I felt there was no apparent storyline to follow as a viewer. I was expecting a more detailed and fulfilling portrayal of Wolverine's past. But i feel it failed to do that. Plus part's of the film didn't make sense. For example Gambit intervining in a fight between Wolverine and Sabertooth ? Wolverine losing his memory due being shot with Adamantium bullets ?

The only postive part, was how well they portrayed Sabertooth. Who made the film viewable for me. It would of been more interesting if the film was given higher auidence rating though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    007Fusion wrote: »
    It would of been more interesting if the film was given higher auidence rating though.

I thoroughly agree there. Wierdly though, the Official Video Game of the film is one very gory affair. Lots of violence and blood. The game that the film should've been...
    :(
  • Options
    The Jordan ShowThe Jordan Show Posts: 3,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    how was gambit in the film? i will still watch it just for him

Excellent!! I would go see it again just for him. The actor gave so much charisma to the role.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you watch X1 again, there are references to a history between Sabertooth and Wolverine. Things like Wolverine picking up his scent before seeing him and at one point Sabertooth goes back to get Wolverines dog tags from Magneto or something? Small bits.

The CGI in this film was absolutely terrible.

Sabertooth was the best thing about it. I just look at him in the future as having given in to the animalistic nature thus going all 'shaggy' dog. Plus that movie was a long time ago.

The Hugh Jackman credits ending is a nod to them doing the Japan saga next (its Jackmans favourite wolvie story)

and the Deadpool ending is a nod to the comics 'breaking the 4th wall' (him saying 'shhh' directly to the audience) and the possibility of a deadpool movie. I think the 'The bonding process isnt complete' line is the set up to him losing all the Weapon XI powers and becoming dead pool again.

This is just a brainless action flick though. but I enjoyed it, mostly.

Love Gambit, he is totally forgetable in this movie though, his accent wasnt thick enough to me. waste, as was deadpool. Will.I.Am awful.
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    Helbore wrote: »
    That wasn't quite what I meant. Stryker was clearly aware of other mutants, because his son was one and he'd taken him to Xavier's school. What I meant was

Oops with you now.
  • Options
    starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah. Gambit was excellent, but he's such a cool character. Roll on the Gambit and Rogue movie :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stowwy wrote: »
    If you watch X1 again, there are references to a history between Sabertooth and Wolverine. Things like Wolverine picking up his scent before seeing him and at one point Sabertooth goes back to get Wolverines dog tags from Magneto or something? Small bits.
    The CGI in this film was absolutely terrible.

Sabertooth was the best thing about it. I just look at him in the future as having given in to the animalistic nature thus going all 'shaggy' dog. Plus that movie was a long time ago.

The Hugh Jackman credits ending is a nod to them doing the Japan saga next (its Jackmans favourite wolvie story)

and the Deadpool ending is a nod to the comics 'breaking the 4th wall' (him saying 'shhh' directly to the audience) and the possibility of a deadpool movie. I think the 'The bonding process isnt complete' line is the set up to him losing all the Weapon XI powers and becoming dead pool again.

This is just a brainless action flick though. but I enjoyed it, mostly.

Love Gambit, he is totally forgetable in this movie though, his accent wasnt thick enough to me. waste, as was deadpool. Will.I.Am awful.

Having just watched X1 again, I did pick up on the exact same things. But let's face it that is just us as viewers trying to retro fit it together. Let's not forget Wolverine also sniffs in the woods in X3 showing he just smells another mutant, not that he recognizes the particular mutant.

Ok, Wolverine's memory loss can explain why he doesn't recognize Sabretooth. But in the dialogue Xavier says Logan can't remember anything before his procedure. So that has been changed.

End of the day it is hard to accept that the X1 Sabretooth is even the same character as the Wolverine one.

best
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listentome wrote: »
    End of the day it is hard to accept that the X1 Sabretooth is even the same character as the Wolverine one.

The inference is that Sabretooth has devolved.

Which isn't too much of a leap given the way he becomes more & more animalistic during the prequel's run time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The inference is that Sabretooth has devolved.

Which isn't too much of a leap given the way he becomes more & more animalistic during the prequel's run time.

I agree he definitely devolves in the prequel and that goes some way to explain the Tyler Man Sabretooth in X1. But in my own mind, I still can't connect the two.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vennegoor wrote: »
    Gambit was terrific. Really great casting.
    He was reasonably well handled, but his Cajun accent seems to fall off after his first scene, which was odd.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hang on. So Victor and Sabretooth are the same character? I've seen all the fims, none of the comics, and apart from thinking that there were similarities between the two characters, I totally didn't get that. They look totally different, and there's never any obvious spark of recognition in the X-Men films*. Presumably it's one of those 'You'll get it if you get it, but if you don't, it won't make any difference.' The Harry Potter films always make the mistake of including important plot pints that only make sense if you've read the books.

EDIT - (occured to me after posting) *On that point, is there any sense of how long has elapsed between Wolverine and X1? I get that Logan's lost his memories, but presumably there was no contact between Victor and Logan in the intervening years. Seems kinda odd if Victor's intent on killing him.
  • Options
    PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Hang on. So Victor and Sabretooth are the same character? I've seen all the fims, none of the comics, and apart from thinking that there were similarities between the two characters, I totally didn't get that. Presumably it's one of those 'You'll get it if you get it, but if you don't, it won't make any difference.' The Harry Potter films always make the mistake of including important plot pints that only make sense if you've read the books.

sabretooth is little more than a hired thug in X1, there's no attempt at a backstory etc

its almost as though he wasnt planned to be wolverines brother when they made the film :-0
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sabretooth is little more than a hired thug in X1, there's no attempt at a backstory etc

its almost as though he wasnt planned to be wolverines brother when they made the film :-0

In the comics Sabretooth was originally supposed to be Wolverines father but since then they've had bloodtests (in the comics) to prove that they are not related
  • Options
    starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hang on. So Victor and Sabretooth are the same character? I've seen all the fims, none of the comics, and apart from thinking that there were similarities between the two characters, I totally didn't get that. They look totally different, and there's never any obvious spark of recognition in the X-Men films*. Presumably it's one of those 'You'll get it if you get it, but if you don't, it won't make any difference.' The Harry Potter films always make the mistake of including important plot pints that only make sense if you've read the books.

EDIT - (occured to me after posting) *On that point, is there any sense of how long has elapsed between Wolverine and X1? I get that Logan's lost his memories, but presumably there was no contact between Victor and Logan in the intervening years. Seems kinda odd if Victor's intent on killing him.

Probably about 10 years, judging on Cycplos being about 15/16ish in this film, and mid-late 20s in X1.

And about the relationship between Wolverine and Sabretooth, its heavily implied in Wolverine:Origin (the comic) that they are brothers. But the actual story is a lot more complex than that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On that point, is there any sense of how long has elapsed between Wolverine and X1? I get that Logan's lost his memories, but presumably there was no contact between Victor and Logan in the intervening years. Seems kinda odd if Victor's intent on killing him.
    Wolverine takes place in 1979 (hence the link to 3 Mile Island at the end) - that's at least 21 years before X-Men (which is in the 'near future' in 2000).
    starsailor wrote: »
    Probably about 10 years, judging on Cycplos being about 15/16ish in this film, and mid-late 20s in X1.
    I guess he moisturises. ;)

At best, Cylcops would be 14 in Origins, and mid 30s in X-men. It's still a bit of a stretch.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Because when the made X1 I doubt there was any plan whatsoever to have them be brothers. Sabretooth was just Magneto's thug.

I guess there's really nothing in X1 to suggest the two don't have a history, just that there is nothing to strongly indicate they do either.

That's the problem with prequels, there's always a certain amount of plotholing to overlook and most often the filmmakers leave it to the viewers to fill in the gaps.