Options

Queen Warning to Brown

IWantPVRIWantPVR Posts: 8,302
Forum Member
It has been reported that Global has had a warning from our Liz! :eek:
Meanwhile, the Queen has reportedly stepped into the scandal by urging the PM to get his house in order, saying she is worried the outcry could damage Parliament.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Politics/MPs-Expenses-Labour-MP-Fraser-Kemp-In-Repeat-DVD-Claims-Scandal/Article/200905315283177?lpos=Politics_Carousel_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15283177_MPs_Expenses%3A_Labour_MP_Fraser_Kemp_In_Repeat_DVD_Claims_Scandal

Please Liz, listen to us and dissolve this apology for a government. (Does the Queen use DS?)

Comments

• Options
    AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jeeez, I thought the UK was a modern democratic country, not tied to the state Church.
  • Options
    TequilaTequila Posts: 5,111
    Forum Member
    AZZURRI 06 wrote: »
    Jeeez, I thought the UK was a modern democratic country, not tied to the state Church.

The UK is no democracy. It's a barely elective dictatorship.

Not that you'd care much being an Irish republican.
  • Options
    GeorgiecatsGeorgiecats Posts: 6,628
    Forum Member
    Well she's right. Parliament has most certainly been damaged by all this.

They have been shown to be at least downright greedy and at worst, thieving from the taxpayer.

What is the point in us ever voting again? It's the "I'm alright Jack" attitude and plunder the country for whatever you can. First it was the greedy bankers messing up our banking system (and then being paid bonuses for it) and now greedy MPs claiming to the max.

SHAME ON YOU.
  • Options
    IWantPVRIWantPVR Posts: 8,302
    Forum Member
    Full article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mandrake/5335164/The-Queen-is-not-amused-by-MPs-expenses-scandal.html
    It has been suggested by some commentators that the Queen might wish to advise the Prime Minister to call an immediate general election, but the courtier spoken to by Mandrake considers this unlikely
  • Options
    AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tequila wrote: »
    The UK is no democracy. It's a barely elective dictatorship.

Not that you'd care much being an Irish republican.

I do, seeing as they claim/ed jurisdiction over part of my country...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,741
    Forum Member

Its my country too
  • Options
    Forum Member

The majority living in that part of the country want to stay within the UK.

I thought the constitutional settlement was effectively 'parked' over there? Unfortunately there will always be some who just won't let it lie.

The southerners don't want you and most mainlanders would like you to disappear. Listening to the RTÉ radio I get the impression that they like to keep your poisonous view of how Ireland should be as far away as they can. SF performs poorly in the south after all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a very damaging leak, this will just add to the questions around Gordon Brown's leadership on this issue & others (gurkas.....)

Great Britain is a ship without a captain.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's just worried her benefits giro will be stopped.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    whip wrote: »
    She's just worried her benefits giro will be stopped.

Get your own fetid house in order before you start criticising other people's.
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She doesn't have any weight to throw behind that nowadays. The last time it was even hinted at, that the Monarch could dissolve a parliament if a settlement on something wasn't reached, was IIRC under her father George IV....nearly six decades ago. She doesn't have any legal authority now to do anything.

Unfortunately...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get your own fetid house in order before you start criticising other people's.
    You've seen my house?
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She doesn't have any weight to throw behind that nowadays. The last time it was even hinted at, that the Monarch could dissolve a parliament if a settlement on something wasn't reached, was IIRC under her father George IV....nearly six decades ago. She doesn't have any legal authority now to do anything.

Unfortunately...

No legal power (though it would be interesting to see her try) but she has the constitutional right "to be consulted, to encourage and to warn". She has more experience of politics and politicians than the whole government combined so Brown would be well advised to listen to her.
  • Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pity it isn't like the old days when queens could cut people's heads off and stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You've seen my house?

Same owd story eh? We won't promote our party (because we have nothing positive to promote to the public) so we'll simply smear and slag off anyone who questions us. The Righteous.
    LostFool wrote: »
    No legal power (though it would be interesting to see her try) but she has the constitutional right "to be consulted, to encourage and to warn". She has more experience of politics and politicians than the whole government combined so Brown would be well advised to listen to her.

Brown? Listen to anyone? Cyclops believes in his own hubris way too much to consider listening to anyone as lowly as the Queen! You silly boy. Don't you all know it started in America? ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She has more experience of politics and politicians than the whole government combined so Brown would be well advised to listen to her.

...and THEN if the bugger is returned with a majority after the next election...the WHOLE thing, blown up as a Constitutional Crisis caused by the "Queen's Meddling"...results in a nice little vote for a Republic or at the very least an even further reduction of the Monarch's role...:eek:

A Labour government has the Queen - or ANY Monarch - over a barrel. NOW we don't even have the "traditional" House of Lords to protect the institution should it ever need it ;) Not with it being "reformed" and padded with Life Peers by the Labour government...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    RussellIan wrote: »
    Pity it isn't like the old days when queens could cut people's heads off and stuff.

A growing number of people are joking about this but the joking part is wearing very thin indeed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same owd story eh? We won't promote our party (because we have nothing positive to promote to the public) so we'll simply smear and slag off anyone who questions us. The Righteous.
    Yep that is exactly what you did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yep that is exactly what you did.

I'm anti-party politics as no-one represents me. I would have voted for a libertarian led party but not this wishy-washy Blairlite lot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm increasingly apolitical. I would have voted for a libertarian led party but not this wishy-washy Blairlite lot.
    So why the slagging off for no reason then? Or are you just pissed because you told someone with a serious medical problem not to go to the doctor on the advice thread and I happened to pick you up on it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Or are you just pissed because you told someone with a serious medical problem not to go to the doctor on the advice thread and I happened to pick you up on it?

Not at all. I was suggesting that it would be logged on the SPINE that they have an alcohol problem (many people expect patient confidentiality to be sacrosanct when they visit their GP) if that was the course of action that they decided to take. For some that can be very damaging.
  • Options
    Raring_to_goRaring_to_go Posts: 20,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RussellIan wrote: »

Liz could actually take action.....it's happened quite recently....

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/btn/stories/s1506081.htm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But would you believe that 30 years ago, it did happen? The Prime Minister back then was sacked by the Governor General, and it was a very big deal!"

Yeah - three decades ago and in a COMPLETELY different legal position and Constitutional position to the UK...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah - three decades ago and in a COMPLETELY different legal position and Constitutional position to the UK...

The 1975 Australia crisis?