Options

It has been an honour...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
Forum Member
Hi guys!!!!

I wanted to say this now because the latter half of the year is always so busy for me. Although I am not a big poster I would come onto this forum a lot and read what people think about DW. I have enjoyed the last 4/5 years a lot. Nowhere else would you find fans who are as passionate about the show they love (some who have loved it right from the start.) I have written this to say goodbye.

I know that the nature of DW is change and it is something that there has been a lot of in the years since the shows return. I was never a fan when the old series was on though I could have easily watched it. It didn't interest me until it came back to our screens. Then it was something magical. Although I had to go through the process of getting used to the show and to the characters. Even though there has been a lot of change in the new series there was always a link from 1 year to the next.

I for 1 don't think I am interested in starting from scratch again. I'm not interested in getting to know a new Doctor unless there is an old companion to help ease the way, and vice versa. Why, 5 years after a show was given a reboot, should there be another reboot? I know that there is a new production team and a new cast and I wish them all the best. I won't be there with them though. If I'm going to follow a new show I want it to be new. I know some people won't appreciate this but I have to say what I feel. Am I the only person who thinks like this?

Once again, it has been an honour. I'm sure I shall see you all in other forums on this site. Thank you for a wonderful few years.

(P.S. I feel the same way about the Buffy movie lol)

Comments

• Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a shame that you feel that way, that you won't be back in the forums or to watch the show. But this is truly one of the greatest times to be a fan of Doctor Who, or even if you just take a vague interest in it.

New Doctor, New Companion. New TARDIS, new producer in Steven Moffat who has possibly written some of the greatest stories in Doctor Who since the relaunch. Don't let the fact that there'll be no link to past series shy you away from watching next year. It'll make it new and fresh and exciting to start from scratch.

Long Live The Doctor! :cool:
  • Options
    finn946finn946 Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    If I'm going to follow a new show I want it to be new

so, erm, you want it to be new but don't want new actors/directors/producers etc?

right........
  • Options
    EaglestrikerEaglestriker Posts: 3,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're right - the nature of DW is change. The reboot 5 years after a previous reboot is nessecary to stop it becoming stale.

Its still the Doctor, still the same TARDIS and still same light-hearted adventures. People might lose interest in it, others will stay on board and newcomers might even join in. They've drawn analogies into the storyline on this very theme.

Like, when David Tennant first entered the scene, Rose didn't like him - because it wasn't the Doctor she knew. He behaved totally differently, might as well be a different person altogether. But, through the following episode, she noticed similarities and realised nothing has really changed at all. It was just a short shock followed by a leap of faith, both story-wise and for dramatic purposes to keep things interesting. Doctor Ten wasn't as mean to Mickity-mick-Mickey as Doctor Nine was so even he decided to join in.

The only difference is, this time round, there'll be a new companion too. No baggage. So, I imagine the first episode of Series 5 will be a crossbreed of 'Rose' (Series 1) and 'Smith and Jones' (Series 3) in style, since we're introducing a Doctor we know near to nothing about (like Doctor Nine) and also introducing a new companion we know nothing about to a world we know a lot about (like Martha).

There's no doubt about it, this is an exciting but an equally challenging period for the show.

Sorry you've wriggled out of the net of interest. :(
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cheerio then.

Moving on...
  • Options
    bazpabazpa Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    I did the same thing once, my Doctor was Jon Pertwee and when he left that was it for me. How could I possibly like anyone else in the role?

I only started watching again when I heard he was going to change again and I watched Tom's last series to see how they did it, loved him of course within a couple of episodes and had missed out on years of the best show on TV.

Yes I've caught up with most of the stuff I missed thanks to videos and Uk Gold but will never get the excitement back of waiting till next week for the next episode to air.

Every Doctor is different - thats part of the magic of the show, it'd have gone stale years ago without it. At least give the new one a chance, he'll grow on you and you will wonder what you were worried about. What have you got to lose?
  • Options
    delroy14delroy14 Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    your lose simple as
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    <<<
    I'm not interested in getting to know a new Doctor unless there is an old companion to help ease the way, and vice versa. Why, 5 years after a show was given a reboot, should there be another reboot?
    >>>

This is the whole point of Dr Who.

Bye then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    I started watching DW in about 1970 and I've been through god knows how many Doctors in that time. The genius of the programme is its ablity to constantly reinvent itself. Personally, I'm glad DT is leaving as it will bring a fresh new impetus to the programme.

For me, the most exciting time to be a DW fan is when we are getting a new Doctor (though I could have lived without McCoy!).
  • Options
    Eye SeaEye Sea Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    markmcc wrote: »
    Hi guys!!!!

I wanted to say this now because the latter half of the year is always so busy for me. Although I am not a big poster I would come onto this forum a lot and read what people think about DW. I have enjoyed the last 4/5 years a lot. Nowhere else would you find fans who are as passionate about the show they love (some who have loved it right from the start.) I have written this to say goodbye.

I know that the nature of DW is change and it is something that there has been a lot of in the years since the shows return. I was never a fan when the old series was on though I could have easily watched it. It didn't interest me until it came back to our screens. Then it was something magical. Although I had to go through the process of getting used to the show and to the characters. Even though there has been a lot of change in the new series there was always a link from 1 year to the next.

I for 1 don't think I am interested in starting from scratch again. I'm not interested in getting to know a new Doctor unless there is an old companion to help ease the way, and vice versa. Why, 5 years after a show was given a reboot, should there be another reboot? I know that there is a new production team and a new cast and I wish them all the best. I won't be there with them though. If I'm going to follow a new show I want it to be new. I know some people won't appreciate this but I have to say what I feel. Am I the only person who thinks like this?

Once again, it has been an honour. I'm sure I shall see you all in other forums on this site. Thank you for a wonderful few years.

That's a very self indulgent post. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    bazellisbazellis Posts: 5,405
    Forum Member
    I can see where the OP is coming from, but the sadness of 5 years worth of storylines coming to a end is more than bettered by the excitement of the unknown that's yet to come.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not quite sure why you felt the need to tell us (especially in such a drama queen way), but, bye.
  • Options
    JonJonBJonJonB Posts: 2,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tenner says you'll be watching when Matt Smith takes the role, like the rest of us.

Attention seeker.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Laters.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    JonJonB wrote: »
    Tenner says you'll be watching when Matt Smith takes the role, like the rest of us.

Attention seeker.

My thoughts too!

I've seen the Doctor through ALL his regenerations..and each time I thought (for one episode only!!) "Hmm he's not as good as the last one!" The following weeks I'd forgotten all about 'the old one'!! My 'least favourite', to be honest, was Sylvester McCoy and didn't see many of those. But that wasn't entirely his fault - it was the cheap and corny stories that put me off. OK, they got away with that stuff in the 60's and 70's, but surely in the late 80's they could have done better.
    Anyway - back to topic - I loved Tennant, but am looking forward to seeing Matt all the same!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    see you dude, can't help thinking - your loss, perhaps you'll reconsider. I hope so!
  • Options
    glowboyglowboy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    I'm incredibly sad that the RTD years are coming to an end but also very excited about what Steven Moffat has up his sleeve.

If we all abandoned the show because we can't handle change then DW woud have ended in 1966!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    markmcc wrote: »
    Why, 5 years after a show was given a reboot, should there be another reboot? I know that there is a new production team and a new cast and I wish them all the best. I won't be there with them though. If I'm going to follow a new show I want it to be new.

You seem a little confused to me mate, firstly this is not a reboot!! a reboot would be disregarding the continuity of the last 5 seasons and starting again from scratch, this is mearly change, pretty much like 24 every season there is almost a completely new cast but its still the same show.

They dont need to establish the doctors story cos we already know him, we have done for god knows how many season, the only different will be his look and the way he is portrayed, but he's still the same doctor, same perils and memorys.

You mentioned above that this is simelar to whats happening to buffy! It is NOTHING like what is happening to buffy, they are re-writing the 'buffy-verse', and forgetting about the continuity of the TV series. This is more along the lines of a reboot but nothing like what is happening in DW who have an ongoing story, are re-writing nothing and are continuing down the same path they have been for the last 5 years if not the last 30 odd years.

I apologize if you feel like Im having ago, Im really not, I just cannot see the logic of your reasoning to not watch the next series, and to be honest if your stating that you would prefer the cast to not change and continue being the same from series to series and that you cant be bother re-engaging with new cast and wont even give it a try seems both extremely lazy and says alot about your attitude.
  • Options
    EaglestrikerEaglestriker Posts: 3,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly, its not as if they're going to completely seperate the two series.

I think, the only things the majority of the audience will notice will be the new title sequence, Doctor, companion...thats about it. They'll know its the same, but it'll feel fresh to them - which is exactly the point.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If anyone honestly thinks the BBC is going to let Moffat do anything much different to the highly successful formula RTD developed they're living in ming mong land.
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yea but... you know... Ming mong land isn't really that bad! :p
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    Yea but... you know... Ming mong land isn't really that bad! :p

Oh I know that :)
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    You seem a little confused to me mate, firstly this is not a reboot!! a reboot would be disregarding the continuity of the last 5 seasons and starting again from scratch, this is mearly change, pretty much like 24 every season there is almost a completely new cast but its still the same show.

They dont need to establish the doctors story cos we already know him, we have done for god knows how many season, the only different will be his look and the way he is portrayed, but he's still the same doctor, same perils and memorys.

You mentioned above that this is simelar to whats happening to buffy! It is NOTHING like what is happening to buffy, they are re-writing the 'buffy-verse', and forgetting about the continuity of the TV series. This is more along the lines of a reboot but nothing like what is happening in DW who have an ongoing story, are re-writing nothing and are continuing down the same path they have been for the last 5 years if not the last 30 odd years.

I apologize if you feel like Im having ago, Im really not, I just cannot see the logic of your reasoning to not watch the next series, and to be honest if your stating that you would prefer the cast to not change and continue being the same from series to series and that you cant be bother re-engaging with new cast and wont even give it a try seems both extremely lazy and says alot about your attitude.

Exactly. Given the new series updated, but didn't reboot the continuity from the classic series, the fact Matt Smith regenerates from Tennant kind of implies series 5 won't be a reboot.
  • Options
    davros's chairdavros's chair Posts: 280
    Forum Member
    Blimey that's a bit melodramatic isn't it?

Oh well, we'll miss you and all twelve of your posts. How will we fill this hole?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    Moving along....
  • Options
    hankmoodyhankmoody Posts: 1,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moving along....

isn't that a relative term, given the timey wimey, wibbly wobbly nature of our being?
This discussion has been closed.