Options

New York in July

Jill_FanJill_Fan Posts: 1,565
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has anyone on here been to New York in the middle of July? How hot does it get? and how busy does it get there? Is the heat unbearable or ok?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Triple-PTriple-P Posts: 2,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its very hot and humid. if your gonna be walking around manhattan shopping in the afternoon your gonna need a lot of water.

whats crazy is you see new yorkers in business suites walking around normal and your gonna be there cooking in the oven. lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, it's hot, but most places have air conditioning. One of the things I like about New York is the seasons. Great summers and yet you can usually go ice skating in Central Park in the winter.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jill_Fan wrote: »
    Has anyone on here been to New York in the middle of July? How hot does it get? and how busy does it get there? Is the heat unbearable or ok?

Thanks in advance.

It can get very hot and humid - but in Manhattan you are usually OK from the heat as you are usually in the shade of the tall buildings and only a few seconds dash from an air conditioned building and a cold drink. It's the humidity which gets you.

July wouldn't be my first choice for a month to visit NY.

As for "how busy" - difficult to say, as NYC is never quiet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it really unbearable heat or similar to our hot summers? How crowded does it get?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh yea new york city is busy 24/7, its like you see it in the movies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it really unbearable heat or similar to our hot summers? How crowded does it get?

our hottest summer this year x2 and its humid.

rush hour, lunchtime, 5pm, and night are busy. much like central london. but depends where your going in new york, its a big place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Triple-P wrote: »
    oh yea new york city is busy 24/7, its like you see it in the movies.

Yeah, the last time I was there I fell out of a bar at something like 4am - but because of the bright lights, the traffic and the number of people around it could have been the middle of the day in any other city.

NYC really is a city like no other. Don't worry to much about safety - I feel safer walking through Manhattan after midnight than I do central London - or any major city in this country. There really is, literally, a cop car on every corner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its Manhattan i'm going to and I was there in March, but just wondering how much busier in the summer it is. I can't bear it really hot but desperate to go again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whats it like the last week of october thats when im going.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its Manhattan i'm going to and I was there in March, but just wondering how much busier in the summer it is. I can't bear it really hot but desperate to go again.

when i went it was end of july. it was so hot i couldnt be arsed shopping. i just wanted to lie down in the shade.

if you want to go again go around december, ive always wanted to go to new york around christmas!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So its far to hot then? What about the end of June?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    njguy wrote: »
    Whats it like the last week of october thats when im going.

That's a great time to go - as long as you are prepared to have some unpredictable weather. Not too or or too cold. I have been in early November and people have been sunbathing in Central Park.

Just make sure you avoid the Marathon - which is around that time as there won't be an affordable hotel room for 50 miles around.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    That's a great time to go - as long as you are prepared to have some unpredictable weather. Not too or or too cold. I have been in early November and people have been sunbathing in Central Park.

Just make sure you avoid the Marathon - which is around that time as there won't be an affordable hotel room for 50 miles around.

Thats good then, were there for halloween, were staying at a niceish place by madison square gardens really excited now though only 19 weeks away, but were flying with BA god knows why.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,864
    Forum Member
    Maybe September would be a better time to visit New York. It should be warm but not as hot as July.

When I went there in late April 2002, it was cool and wet on the day I arrived (and also the day I left), but the 2 days in between were dry and sunny (about 15c), which was perfect sightseeing weather.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd leave it until the middle of September, I love the place but cannot face it in the summer.
  • Options
    BumbleSquatBumbleSquat Posts: 7,176
    Forum Member
    I was there just a few weeks ago - we were staying a few blocks away from Times Square which was very handy. The weather was apparently unusually very warm for the time of year - of course, a New Yorker told us that so we didn't know any different. It was nice but as someone else said drink loads of water.

I can't really advise you on how busy it gets - it's Manhattan so of course it's always going to be busy. It was Memorial Day weekend when we first got there so Times Square was extremely busy but it calmed down a lot during the week.

Oh, and as for shopping - almost every other shop is shoes and handbags! :eek: Overall, it was very good. If you can - check out a place called Woodbury Common. It's a shopping complex (built like a village) with over 200 designer shops. It's all at discount prices which we found very good for clothes. It's an hour-long bus trip from Manhatten - definitely worth checking out.

As for sightseeing - you definitely have to do a cruise around the Hudson at night. It's called the Circle Line Cruise - best to get on it at 7pm as it's then dark by the time you get back to land again - you see everything, the Statue of Liberty, Brooklyn Bridge and various other sights. The sight of the whole city all lit up at night is unforgettable. Plus the whole thing is narrated so you'll learn a bit of the history etc. Great for getting photos.
    :)
  • Options
    gorgeousgirlgorgeousgirl Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    Last time i went in July there was freak storm and all the airports were shut because of the rain then a couple of days later it was relly hot, NY weather can be very unpredictable.
    I'm going in July as well and i hope it doesn't happen this year.
  • Options
    cpu121cpu121 Posts: 5,330
    Forum Member
    I visited NY last July. It wasn't too bad actually, almost pleasant in fact. The heat and humidity were nowhere near as bad they were in Washington and Philadelphia the week before.

You'll probably be in and out of air conditioned buildings anyway. Just make sure you drink plenty of water and you'll be fine.
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    As for sightseeing - you definitely have to do a cruise around the Hudson at night. It's called the Circle Line Cruise

Don't confuse it with the Circle Line Tours given by Improv Everywhere

http://improveverywhere.com/2003/05/17/circle-line-tours/

Which is hilarious.
  • Options
    BumbleSquatBumbleSquat Posts: 7,176
    Forum Member
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    Don't confuse it with the Circle Line Tours given by Improv Everywhere

http://improveverywhere.com/2003/05/17/circle-line-tours/

Which is hilarious.

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the heat any different from the beginning of July to the middle? lol
  • Options
    AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the heat any different from the beginning of July to the middle? lol

Only slightly. The average peak temperature in New York in July is 30C. That's tolerable as long as you are prepared for it. Las Vegas averages 40C in July.
  • Options
    Satan's SonSatan's Son Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i just got back and its crazy humid over there atm and summers do tend to be scorching
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anachrony wrote: »
    Only slightly. The average peak temperature in New York in July is 30C. That's tolerable as long as you are prepared for it. Las Vegas averages 40C in July.

New York is surronded by water so its very humid. I spent a month of July there once. Air con is a must at night or you won't get any sleep. But I do like it to an extent in that you can walk about at night and feel warm.

Vegas is desert - dry heat. Personally I'd take a dry heat every time.

The worst heat I've ever been in was Texas. Houston. Getting on for 40 degrees and almost 100% humidity! I'd be covered in sweat just by walking to the mailbox outside the house I was staying in. I got cramp a lot as I wasn't used to the need to drink alot.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    I could never visit NY in the summer. Cant stand heat and we love going there at thanksgiving and seeing the window displays and Rockefeller tree etc. Would be weird for us to go any other time.