Options

Found Wallet STUFFED with cash.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you found £400 in cash I think some people would hand it in.

NOW if you found £10,000 in cash in a carrier bag,and you thought it might have been drug money......would you hand it in ??????
    it could be a pensioner's life savings... you know how some old people don't trust the banks.

i once withdrew £10,000 and i am NOT a drug dealer:o although the bank refused to give it to me in cash and insisted on a draft instead so they can have a paper trail of what i was doing with the money under anti-laundering rules.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you saying you can't get £10,000 in cash,what if you were going to buy a car privately ?
  • Options
    IateallthepiesIateallthepies Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Are you saying you can't get £10,000 in cash,what if you were going to buy a car privately ?

I know you can withdraw up to £2,500 from your own branch using a debit card. Four visits - you got your 10 grand!
  • Options
    ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know you can withdraw up to £2,500 from your own branch using a debit card. Four visits - you got your 10 grand!

I don't think that is right.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seems not... they were extremely reluctant to the point of being obstructive about it.

i was given the spanish inquisition over what i was intending to do with such a large sum of money, why i wanted/needed it in cash, if i can't satisfy them with a good reason for needing it in cash then i had to accept a bank draft instead payable to myself.

(this was at lloyds tsb)
  • Options
    sy278sy278 Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bank has absoulutley no right to refuse you it in cash, its your money!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got on the bus today and sat on a wallet. I opened said wallet and it was crammed with cash, like someone's wages or savings. I promptly turned in to the bus driver and made him promise he would turn it in. Now I am worried I should have kept it, tried to identify the person and rang them to come to my house and collect it. Perhaps I should have handed it to the police. Keeping it was out of the question because I classify that as stealing or being dishonest and I like my integrity.

I told my husband and he is raging. He couldn't believe I handed it back! I said, we have had a lot of good fortune in the past few weeks and I couldn't live with myself for taking it. He said, I should have at least turned it in to the police and they would have given it to me if someone hadn't reclaimed it, but my mind doesn't work that way. I have lost my wallet and my first thought is to ring all of the shops and transport I have been on to see if someone has turned it in.

Am I a mug, or would you have done the same? If the bus driver steals it, then on his head be it.

Did the wallet have any cards init by way of ID ?? A name??
  • Options
    crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't have given it to the bus driver. I'd have kept the cash and binned the wallet.
  • Options
    chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't have given it to the bus driver. I'd have kept the cash and binned the wallet.

what a nice man you are :rolleyes:

didnt your daughter do the same thing a while back?
  • Options
    crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what a nice man you are :rolleyes:

didnt your daughter do the same thing a while back?

Yes she did. Finders Keepers Losers Weepers. Oh and you do have a good memory.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,373
    Forum Member
    I would have had a look inside to see if theres a bank card, then take the wallet into the bank and tell them that i found it, so they could contact the person using their details from the card. Then i'd leave my details incase i get a reward ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes she did. Finders Keepers Losers Weepers. Oh and you do have a good memory.:)

mmm
    ever heard of karma
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 420
    Forum Member

I'd like to think you were joking...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'd like to think you were joking...

oh he isnt im afraid
  • Options
    mattwoodfieldmattwoodfield Posts: 6,036
    Forum Member
    I certainly wouldnt have given it to the bus driver, but I would of gave it to the local police station. I would look for ID though first, and any contact details.

I am not one for finding wallets/bags and keeping them.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I a mug, or would you have done the same? If the bus driver steals it, then on his head be it.

since i have no real conscience with things like this, I would have absolutely kept it.
  • Options
    rj00rj00 Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    Oooh. I'd hand it in. I know how it must feel to loose that amount of money, especially as you say it was a large amount of cash like somebodies wages or something. I'd be gutted!! Plus there must have been numerous forms of I.D in there to track down the person. I'd feel much more rewarded knowing the person had got their money back as apose to feeling great in the knowledge i'd just been on a shopping spree, compos of some poor unfortunate! :)
  • Options
    g_attrillg_attrill Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    sy278 wrote: »
    The bank has absoulutley no right to refuse you it in cash, its your money!

Correct, but they don't often have much cash spare and were probably wanting to save the hassle of getting more in. About 7 years ago I wanted £3,000 to buy a car and they complained and said I should have given them a day's notice so they could order it in!

If you ask for cash all that happens is they need to report it to a gov't department who track it for money laundering reasons, they must get thousands of reports a day so it's all number-crunched I think.
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    oh he isnt im afraid

If I remember correctly, he was also having trouble with his wife a while ago and getting strange phone calls from her.

These are symptoms of a totally dysfunctional family, so it's no wonder he appears to think keeping other people's money is OK.

OP, I would have handed the wallet to the Police, but you did what you thought was right. I hope the wallet gets back to its rightful owner.
  • Options
    Ellie666Ellie666 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    most bus companies tell there drivers if this happens to hand it in and like the police if it's not cliamed after 4 weeks (or so) then the driver gets it - of course if the driver pockets it, it's his word against yours.
  • Options
    jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    Couple of weeks ago, my sister unwittingly walked away from a cash point with a £10 note sticking out of it. We walked into the pub next door and ordered a coffee, that's when she realised.
    I scooted back to the bank only to find the £10 had gone, no surprise there ! but what was surprising was this lovely Indonesian looking woman who was standing looking around and realising what had happened, walked over to me and handed me the £10. I of course thanked her profusely, there are still some decent people about.
  • Options
    roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got on the bus today and sat on a wallet. I opened said wallet and it was crammed with cash, like someone's wages or savings. I promptly turned in to the bus driver and made him promise he would turn it in. Now I am worried I should have kept it, tried to identify the person and rang them to come to my house and collect it. Perhaps I should have handed it to the police. Keeping it was out of the question because I classify that as stealing or being dishonest and I like my integrity.

I told my husband and he is raging. He couldn't believe I handed it back! I said, we have had a lot of good fortune in the past few weeks and I couldn't live with myself for taking it. He said, I should have at least turned it in to the police and they would have given it to me if someone hadn't reclaimed it, but my mind doesn't work that way. I have lost my wallet and my first thought is to ring all of the shops and transport I have been on to see if someone has turned it in.

A while back, someone found a wallet full of cash, and as you done handed it to the bus driver, but also took a note of what was in the wallet, and another passenger witnessed this
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    There is no such thing as 'finders keepers, losers weepers' - that's a way of making yourself feel better when you know you're being nothing short of a common thief.
  • Options
    User name not foundUser name not found Posts: 3,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would I have handed it in, yes, to the bus driver, no.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unfortunately, the chances of the police being able to find the owner of a wallet with no ID in is miniscule. You should have kept the money cos now within 3 months if the owner isnt found the government gets the money!