Options

V remake

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 735
Forum Member
✭✭
Was just reading about this in the DS headlines! The trailer looks fantastic, but not too sure about changing Mike Donovan's character into a woman, and likewise Christine's character into a male hardcore journalist. The new character of Anna (Diana) looks great though!!

I loved the original mini-series and The Final Battle - I remember it so clearly as a kid!! Hopefully this will do it justice.

Comments

• Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Not the first time a character's gender had been changed in a remake - in the remake of Battlestar Galactica, Starbuck was a woman (and the lead, judging by the DVD covers), but in the original, the character was male.
  • Options
    Chickens hitChickens hit Posts: 26,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »
    Not the first time a character's gender had been changed in a remake - in the remake of Battlestar Galactica, Starbuck was a woman (and the lead, judging by the DVD covers), but in the original, the character was male.

That has always bugged me about BSG, (not the fact that Starbuck became a woman) it was as though they thought that they needed to "sex-up" the DVD cover in order to sell the show.

With regard to V, having watched the trailers and clips, I have to say that the new Lizard leader Anna comes across as creepy straight from the start......personally I'd be suspicious of them as soon as she says "Do not be afraid".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    This looks brilliant...

Does anyone know when it's gonna be on, and what channel?

It probably said somewhere and I just missed it.
  • Options
    leithladleithlad Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stu_ge wrote: »
    This looks brilliant...

Does anyone know when it's gonna be on, and what channel?

It probably said somewhere and I just missed it.

ABC in the states in september for an initial run of 13 eppys,elsewhere to be determined.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    leithlad wrote: »
    ABC in the states in september for an initial run of 13 eppys,elsewhere to be determined.:)

Actually V is not due till the mid season (Jan/Feb 2010)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leithlad wrote: »

13 - are you sure? I thought i saw they started with 6 to gauge the reception.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Warming wrote: »

Confirmed in th DS news article,sorry no link thingy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spaintv wrote: »
    Actually V is not due till the mid season (Jan/Feb 2010)

I knew that:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Warming wrote: »
    No, V Season 1 was originally picked up for 6 episodes, but ABC expanded the order to 13 episodes. The reason is because early hype has been huge, and advertisers/international buyers are raving about the show's characters and scope.

http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/05/video-abcs-v.html

Might also interest you to know the plan is to have 4 seasons all-in-all for V 2010, each of varying length (it depends on the storylines, so S2 might by 22 episodes, but then S3 might only be 14 episodes).
  • Options
    DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I guess Sky will pull out all the bucks to get this?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elizabeth Mitchell makes anything worth watching
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just thrilled the Starchild has been ditched!! She was terrible!!

Is Ham Tyler being replaced does anyone know??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »

Starbuck will always be Dirk Benedict...much as I love the new BG!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DarthFader wrote: »
    So I guess Sky will pull out all the bucks to get this?

I really hope so!! My dvd set of V is wearing thin...I need this to replace it!! :cool:
  • Options
    ugglauggla Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    original now on sci-fi all day much better than the other crap thats on the other channels.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    Bambi_Boo wrote: »
    Was just reading about this in the DS headlines! The trailer looks fantastic, but not too sure about changing Mike Donovan's character into a woman, and likewise Christine's character into a male hardcore journalist. The new character of Anna (Diana) looks great though!!

I loved the original mini-series and The Final Battle - I remember it so clearly as a kid!! Hopefully this will do it justice.

I can't wait - all the characters have changed but it looks really good. I'm glad it's only 13 episodes - they seemed to have learned from recent British sci-fi successes that less is often more. This is promising to be major "event" TV - if they were brave enough, they should do a Torchwood and run it every night for two weeks.

I really liked the 4400 - and this is by the same production team.

Even though I'm male, I loved the scene in the original where Julliette heroically stands pointing her tiny little gun at an incoming Visitor fighter. Still gives me goosebumps. So when I "played" V in the playground, I always wanted to be Julliette but went for Ham Tyler instead for fear of being laughed at forever!

I saw V the same week as I saw Star Wars for the first time on TV. What a great week that was!

Anyway - the reason I'm excited about this show is that the trailers show a very scary scene where the visitors turn their spaceship into a massive TV screen and Anna doles out the propaganda!

I'm not sure I would be so trusting watching that massive scoreboard in the sky.

Anna looks gorgeous and very trustworthy and also very human in an "other-worldly" sort of way. Perfect casting.

In this day and age, we trust pretty faces to run our countries rather than ugly people who have the tools for the job. It's perfectly believable that most people would be taken in by her and be all too willing to go along with her friendly rhetoric.

There also seems to be a theme where all of the Visitors look beautiful and have a very intelligent demeanour, as if they're human but several thought planes above us.

lol - I can't wait for this, as you can tell.

PS. I loved the original Battlestar when I was a kid too. The remake was just amazing though, the acting was outstanding from the entire cast and the stories were gripping. As long as we get the same here, I'll have no complaints - even if it in no way resembles the original V.

EDIT: Hmmmm - actually. Wouldn't you be suspicious if a brand new civilisation visited our planet, looked just like us, and had English names like Anna and Keith.
  • Options
    AyceAyce Posts: 1,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jazzx wrote: »
    EDIT: Hmmmm - actually. Wouldn't you be suspicious if a brand new civilisation visited our planet, looked just like us, and had English names like Anna and Keith.
    Just a little bit ;)

Terran
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jazzx wrote: »
    Even though I'm male, I loved the scene in the original where Julliette heroically stands pointing her tiny little gun at an incoming Visitor fighter.

eh?

• Options
    BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    Elizabeth Mitchell makes anything worth watching

So does Morena Baccarin. ;)

And Laura Vandervoort. ;)
  • Options
    yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    can't wait for this. I'm rewatching V on the scifi channel this afternoon and having a giggle at the 80's special effects.
  • Options
    zantarouszantarous Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone who is a fan of the original should checkout V the Second Generation by Kenneth Johnson. I am currently reading it and it is a nice in sight into where he would have taken it had he done the follow up. It does read more like a script then a novel but I don't mind that too much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    eh?

where they attack hiding place in the hills then donavan appears after escaping the mothership and saves the day flying one of the spaceships better than the visitors do lol.

awesome scene
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    uggla wrote: »
    where they attack hiding place in the hills then donavan appears after escaping the mothership and saves the day flying one of the spaceships better than the visitors do lol.

awesome scene

Oh I know the scene well, and yeah it's great.

Jazzx's wrote that he enjoyed the scene, in which a female is shown to be heroic, and he made a point of stating that he enjoyed it even though he is male.

I was just wondering what that was all about, seems like a bit of a cave man thing to say.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member

Jazzx's wrote that he enjoyed the scene, in which a female is shown to be heroic, and he made a point of stating that he enjoyed it even though he is male.

I was just wondering what that was all about, seems like a bit of a cave man thing to say.

Read the whole paragraph. You know? What more than one sentence is comprised of?

I was so inspired by that scene that I wanted to be Juliette in my playground games. (I also had a crush on her)

But I'm a boy - so I chose to be Ham Tyler instead to spare myself all the ridicule and a lifetime of social problems!

Seizing on a comment without reading even one sentence beyond that shows that you need to go to chimpanzee school before you can graduate to nursery school and then hopefully on to great things at Primary school where you will be taught amazing things about how several sentences make up a paragraph (how far we've come!)

At Secondary school, you will learn how to read whole texts and evaluate them, not just on a single sentence, or even on a single paragraph, but as a whole.

Then at University - (you need to stump up the cash to get in, though) - you will learn how to collate several complete texts [comprising of multiple paragraphs with multiple sentences] into a thesis or dissertation.

That's clearly a long way in the future, but with dedication and study - and cash - you'll get there. I know you will, I have every faith in you.

Just get out there and realise your potential!

Go for it!

I'll be rooting for you!

I love the "underdog-comes-good" storyline.

or "Retard gets Masters Degree against all odds".

But just start in small steps. Read a whole paragraph instead of just one sentence. It's hard, I know, but one day you'll thank me for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

yeah no probs :cool: