Options

Law & Order: UK -- The "Unaired" Episode 8

MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
Forum Member
For the past seven weeks I have been watching Law & Order: UK in Canada. Last week the episode aired was "Alesha," the seventh episode, which I believe was the last episode screened in Britain months ago. I did read on DS that your ITV was holding back the final six episodes that were filmed for the autumn. Well, it appears that in Canada all thirteen episodes are being aired in consecutive weeks. Last night I watched the eighth episode, titled "Samaritan." It is based on the US series' episode "Manhood," which was the 21st episode of the third season, airing originally on 12 May 1993. I don't know if any Canadians up-loaded the episode on to the internet, but maybe interested Brits will be able to find it. It doesn't sound like ITV made a good decision in splitting the thirteen episodes into two blocks and holding back the second block -- especially if they knew that the episodes they chose to delay would air abroad before they were aired in Britain.

Comments

• Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Well that was stupid. ITV's schedulers have proven themselves to be idiots yet again. :mad:

Any episodes uploaded to Youtube have been deleted. There's a video with text explaining this, I'll quote it.
    Youtube has deleted original video due to copyright claimed by LLC Media. Visit link in description to watch Law & Order - UK episode 1.
    WTF? Apparently you can't post Tiny URL.com links! :mad: Is that website illegal or what? I'll have to link to the Youtube video instead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai2aXVEU1KI

The bottom line is, it won't be online.
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    JAS84 wrote: »

It might be available through torrents. I am not a downloader myself so I don't know, but I imagine some Brits will be checking.
  • Options
    JonJonBJonJonB Posts: 2,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If a new episode aired anywhere in the world, you can be sure it's online by now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Canada are airing all of the Season 1 episodes, and they'll be up on BitTorrent soon enough.
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully ITV will be showing the remaining episodes in the autumn that they held back on.

I wish they just showed them all in one go though.
  • Options
    alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    I imagine the proportion of the L&O audience likely to torrent is marginal - plus it would have to be a BARB family who downloaded to hit the figures at all and thus the ad revenues.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    There is an adaptation of Wuthering Height's which was completed ages ago and has already aired in the US but is still yet to be screened here.

They do this all the time.

Then they come down like a ton of bricks on their own auidence who just want to see their programmes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't ITV still have a couple of completed mini-series from back in 2002 they still need to broadcast?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    Don't ITV still have a couple of completed mini-series from back in 2002 they still need to broadcast?

They hold to much on their shelves they could just sell them on to cable or at least give them run on ITV3 if their rights allow that. I hear they keep all their good shows on their shelves :D
  • Options
    stateofgameplaystateofgameplay Posts: 3,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »
    Well that was stupid. ITV's schedulers have proven themselves to be idiots yet again. :mad:.

ITV don't pay for programs till they air.

They're just slowing the pace down so they can afford to show it at all.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Prisoner will broadcast this autumn in America but ITV pushed it back to next year in the schedules, meaning anyone who wants to watch it will have already gone out of their way to download it! Silly ITV.
  • Options
    Forum Member

The average member of the public just won't understand how it works though, and will just see it as unfair, silly, and annoying.

Which it is, even when you do undertsand the reasoning behind such behavior.
  • Options
    alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    loneraven wrote: »
    The average member of the public just won't understand how it works though, and will just see it as unfair, silly, and annoying.

Which it is, even when you do undertsand the reasoning behind such behavior.

your average viewer is unlieky to know it has aired in canada.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alternate wrote: »
    your average viewer is unlieky to know it has aired in canada.

Doubt they'd be too pleased if they found out though.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

ITV do pay the production companies for the show at the time , it then sits on the shelf classed as stock in hand . Which is why they will at some point have to make a decision to show it or not as in the current climate their shareholders could demand they either sell it or write it off as a loss agains tax.

The reason it stockpiles is due to the number of cheaper shows such as Traffic Jams from Hell that they have run in slots which make them more money as they are so cheap to make. They schedule these and then have no prime time slots available to air the stockpiled stuff and cannot justify putting them out in a cheap graveyard slot , it is better accounts wise to eventually write them off completely or keep them as stock in hand which adds more value to their annual accounts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    Reminds me of the time Hustle aired in Canada first. Series 4, I think it was.

No surpise this happens.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    And the last Primeval series aired before in Germany and Spain!
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    The last episode definitely did, as we had to wait an extra week. :mad:
  • Options
    GadgieGadgie Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone succeeded in finding episode 8 online anywhere?
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone did post earlier that it was already up but the post has been removed from this thread. Haven't looked for it yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully ITV will be showing the remaining episodes in the autumn that they held back on.

I wish they just showed them all in one go though.

It wasn't mentioned in the Press Release for the Autumn line up, so maybe they will hold it back until the Winter or next Spring and play around with it as they did Heartbeat and The Royal.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wouldn't get mentioned in the press release maybe because it's the series continuing rather than a new series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It wouldn't get mentioned in the press release maybe because it's the series continuing rather than a new series.

I would have thought they would mention it in this case , bearing in mind it was a new series , they have commissioned more episodes and they have themselves effectively split it into two series, that it would warrant a mention.

I see the DVD of Series 1 which was due to be released in September has now been postponed until 2010, so maybe they still dont have an air date in mind for it yet all ITV say in the press is "they will be aired at a later date" .
  • Options
    GadgieGadgie Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still can't find this online in any of the popular places, so I doubt ITV are too worried.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    As far as I have found out, there were only 7 episodes for this particular series of L&O UK because Dick Wolf was contractually obliged to use 7 US storylines and just re-write them.