Options

Do you or would you like to live in a gated community?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nooo! Don't know if any xfiles fans are here but I always remember a certain mad episode where it was set in a gated community and it put me off forever.

Also I wouldn't like nosey neighbours watching everything I did to my property and being annoyed if I painted the front door a colour not suitable, or putting the wrong type of flowers in the garden. Lol I would be the person, who would rock the boat just for the sake of it, I hate too many rules.
  • Options
    RicardodaforceRicardodaforce Posts: 8,576
    Forum Member
    pickwick wrote: »
    Fair enough, but that's not what "gated community" is generally taken to mean. What's the point of them if anyone can get in? Or can you only get into your own, and not other people's? Doesn't that just mean you end up with an almost literal caste system, everyone stuck in their own "level"?

Edit: Ah, you answered most of this. It means only the members of the community get to commit crimes within it ;)

Of course I only have a key to enter the urbanization that I live in. As for the "caste" question I just don't understand. If it's a class issue, well it's very different here to than in the UK.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Security is answer. It makes it a lot harder to rob houses, and children can play outside in their play areas knowing that weirdos from outside don't have access to them.

So you would say that all these people are weirdos:
    Smokers
    Junkies
    Heavy drinkers
    Unemployed people
    Malingerers on long-term sickness benefit
    Anyone with a criminal record

I would say that, that is judgemental. Just because someone is one of the above doesn't mean that they will steal from your house or interfere with your children or are anymore likely to do than anybody else.
  • Options
    The SnakesThe Snakes Posts: 8,940
    Forum Member
    It's sad that we have allowed things to get so bad that they have become a solution.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rozafa wrote: »

So you would say that all these people are weirdos:

I would say that, that is judgemental. Just because someone is one of the above doesn't mean that they will steal from your house or interfere with your children or are anymore likely to do than anybody else.

I wouldn't say any of those are weirdos and I am bemused why you think I would.
  • Options
    KBBJKBBJ Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nooo! Don't know if any xfiles fans are here but I always remember a certain mad episode where it was set in a gated community and it put me off forever.

Also I wouldn't like nosey neighbours watching everything I did to my property and being annoyed if I painted the front door a colour not suitable, or putting the wrong type of flowers in the garden. Lol I would be the person, who would rock the boat just for the sake of it, I hate too many rules.

That episode was on this week. :eek: I agree with you. There are enough residents' rules in my building already.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. I really like living among the hoi paloi.
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course I only have a key to enter the urbanization that I live in. As for the "caste" question I just don't understand. If it's a class issue, well it's very different here to than in the UK.
    Possibly! Yeah, it's a class thing, I suppose. It just seems to me like it would really limit the number of people, and the number of different kinds of people, you interacted with.

(And don't people get attacked for their keys, if they live in the "better" urbanizations?)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that people who want to live in gated communities should be barred from making a living off the people outside the gates. I'd ban them from working outside, going to our hospitals, using our schools, colleges and libraries and driving on our roads.

If these people think life would be better without having to deal with the rest of us, believe me, the feeling is entirely mutual. Lock yourselves up and starve. I don't care.
  • Options
    BirdcageBirdcage Posts: 6,499
    Forum Member
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=799804&highlight=ulysees

I did a search as I'm sure I'd read something about gated communites on here before.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KBBJ wrote: »
    That episode was on this week. :eek: I agree with you. There are enough residents' rules in my building already.

Spooky :eek: I will have to watch it, it's been years since I have seen it.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not really sure living in a gated community would be very good to be honest, as it would likely just turn out to be one massive clique. Anything happened and it would just get covered up, and if anyone dared to speak out of the said atrocity, they'd get shunned by the rest of them and be forced to leave.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say any of those are weirdos and I am bemused why you think I would.
    Well, that is the OPs thread.. she wants to live in a gated community without those people.. and since you agreed with the proposition.. it is as well to ask you who you class as weirdos.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, that is the OPs thread.. she wants to live in a gated community without those people.. and since you agreed with the proposition.. it is as well to ask you who you class as weirdos.

At no point did I agree to the reasons she gave which I think are ridiculous.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At no point did I agree to the reasons she gave which I think are ridiculous.
    Well, you did call me judgemental for not wishing to live in a community where the above people were judged and excluded.. so I assumed you must have agreed with her.
  • Options
    bleuh111bleuh111 Posts: 2,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I certainly would and the following people would be kept out:

Smokers
    Junkies
    Heavy drinkers
    Unemployed people
    Malingerers on long-term sickness benefit
    Anyone with a criminal record

Anyone who stepped out of line would be evicted and barred for life.

It would be a blissful paradise!

I'd live in a gated society, so long as the only people it excluded were the self-righteous, the sanctimonious and the judgemental.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, you did call me judgemental for not wishing to live in a community where the above people were judged and excluded.. so I assumed you must have agreed with her.

Absolutely not, as I said even those living in the cheapest of flats here are living in gated communities.

I think there are huge difference between what gated communities are and stand for in the UK, and what they are and stand for here. Here in Playa San Juan everyone lives in gated communities, rich and poor, high-flying and unemployed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Security is answer. It makes it a lot harder to rob houses, and children can play outside in their play areas knowing that weirdos from outside don't have access to them.

How would you sort out the weirdos from the non weirdos?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Birdcage wrote: »
    How would you sort out the weirdos from the non weirdos?

How difficult can it be to comprehend. Anyone that would prey on children is a weirdo. If they don't have access to the children whilst then are in their play area then that's a good thing in my opinion. The problem would arise if and when a paedophile lived in the same community as the kids.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How difficult can it be to comprehend. Anyone that would prey on children is a weirdo. If they don't have access to the children whilst then are in their play area then that's a good thing in my opinion. The problem would arise if and when a paedophile lived in the same community as the kids.
    How do you know that they would prey on children? Do they wear a badge saying 'I like kiddies'?
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's one thing that puzzles me about this gated community thing, and that's that who's going to be accepted for being able to live in them as part of the 'neighbourhood'?
  • Options
    Forum Member

This difficult:
    How do you know that they would prey on children? Do they wear a badge saying 'I like kiddies'?
  • Options
    Forum Member

I would have no idea, but then I am not selecting them am I. I really think you are deliberately missing the point. If children are playing in a dedicated play area that is within their gated community then they are safer than if they were playing in an area where anyone could prey on them. How difficult a concept can be for this to understand.
    The people who live in the community (whether it be a tower block, or a set of houses) would be the only ones with access to the interior of the unbanization.
    I cannot grasp why you are turning this into elitist argument, when it is so not that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    There's one thing that puzzles me about this gated community thing, and that's that who's going to be accepted for being able to live in them as part of the 'neighbourhood'?

All I know is about where I live. There is not "accepting", you either buy or rent a place in one. Same as buying or renting a place in the UK. Again this is trying to put an elitist spin on something where it doesn't exist. To repeat. All of the communities in this suburb are gated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I would have no idea, but then I am not selecting them am I. I really think you are deliberately missing the point. If children are playing in a dedicated play area that is within their gated community then they are safer than if they were playing in an area where anyone could prey on them. How difficult a concept can be for this to understand.
    The people who live in the community (whether it be a tower block, or a set of houses) would be the only ones with access to the interior of the unbanization.
    I cannot grasp why you are turning this into elitist argument, when it is so not that.

Who is selecting them?