Options

9.4 MILLION People CHOOSE to pay SKY....

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    Thanks. I do know what it means, I just wanted you to clarify what you meant. So, after all essential outgoings, you'd promote an average family having approx. £16.50 each, per person, per week to spend after necessities?

Edit: Before the thread gets closed, can we stray back on topic. With all the talk about the NHS, have you not seen how silly it would be to compare paying for the NHS vs. paying the licence fee?

Sorry, I thought you just asked what I considered discretionary income, which was why I posted the link.

I'm not promoting anything, I'm just stating that providing such a public service through a similar funding model i.e at a price that is not prohibitive, is a viable option.

If the fact the price is not prohibitive is relevant then it seemed a reasonable comparison.
  • Options
    iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sover_99 wrote: »
    Any regressive tax is worse for lower income households. There is some relief available to lower income households for council tax I believe - about 25%.

so in this hypothetical example, are you saying that was lower than it currently is for low income households, but was regressive, that would be worse for low income households?

surely it would be better, as they'd be paying less.

Iain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan's Dad wrote: »
    No mention of paying off household debt in that list of 'normal expenses', then!

Average household debt in the UK is ~ £9,240 (excluding mortgages).

So, your affordable health insurance is funded by increased household debt!

Commonly, disposable income is the amount of "play money" left to spend or save.

AFAIK the figure is after subtracting personal outlays which to my understanding would include paying off household debt.
  • Options
    CornucopiaCornucopia Posts: 19,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Presumably, if the NHS were disbanded, there would be a sizeable reduction in Tax/NI.
  • Options
    mRebelmRebel Posts: 24,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iain wrote: »

given that the cost of that licence isn't prohibitive even to low income households,
    Iain

Except that, as you know, it is to some.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Without evidence, you're most certainly not in a position to state that the licence fee is prohibitive.

The best evidence was provided by the Citizens Advice Bereau in its report 'TV Sinners'. That evidence was so convincing the govnt initiated a change in judicial policy so that low income evaders were no longer ending up in prison, as they had before. Convinced now?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iain wrote: »
    just realised - you forgot to answer my question :

if the council tax was £300 per year for every household, would that be better for lower income households because it was less?

or would it be worse for lower income households because it was regressive?

Iain

Can I answer? Worse, just like the tv licence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sover_99 wrote: »
    Any regressive tax is worse for lower income households. There is some relief available to lower income households for council tax I believe - about 25%.

Actually for the very poorest its 100%.
  • Options
    PeterBPeterB Posts: 9,487
    Forum Member
    mRebel wrote: »
    The best evidence was provided by the Citizens Advice Bereau in its report 'TV Sinners'. That evidence was so convincing the govnt initiated a change in judicial policy so that low income evaders were no longer ending up in prison, as they had before. Convinced now?

Who was telling us about all the single mothers being locked up?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No. Any report from this century?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Except that, as you know, it is to some.

which? if you'd read all of this thread, you'd have seen that we went through actual figures, put forward by someone on your side of the argument, and pretty much showed that it wasn't prohibitive.

if you want to ignore those figures, that's up to you.

Iain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I answer? Worse, just like the tv licence.

OK - so in your opinion, if low income households saw their council tax bills go down, you'd argue that they were in a worse position.

can expand on why you would think that?

surely if they were paying less, that would be better.

Iain
  • Options
    Steve™Steve™ Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    I read a great comment on a youtube tv licence video today:

--
    How can something be unfair but a good way of funding public TV? Ins't the main point that its unfair the only relevant issue? Might as well say slavery is unfair but its a good way of building a country so lets keep it going.

When there was 1 channel decades ago, it might have been relevant. Now there are thousands of channels not including online.

I get plenty of public TV from these other channels. This is 2009 and people dont really hold the BBC up like they used to because of choice

--

Need I say more???

LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUqFlgsPi2c
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    need you say more than compare the tv licence to slavery?

yes - a lot more.

the comments on that page are hilarious though.

Iain
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve™ wrote: »

--
    How can something be unfair but a good way of funding public TV? Ins't the main point that its unfair the only relevant issue? Might as well say slavery is unfair but its a good way of building a country so lets keep it going.

Brilliant..

We are now comparing the TV licence to slavery....
    When there was 1 channel decades ago, it might have been relevant. Now there are thousands of channels not including online.

I get plenty of public TV from these other channels. This is 2009 and people dont really hold the BBC up like they used to because of choice

--

Need I say more???

But the number of alternative channels is not really the issue is it?

The issue is a public service broadcaster that provides a national and local television and radio service, without ads and is not totally dependent upon viewing figures for it's revenue. A broadcaster that provides viewing and listening for a wide range of tastes, all for the price of a pint of beer a week...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

--

--

Need I say more???

Yes, of course you need to say more. You can't dip in and out of the thread you started, carefully ignoring many relevant posts arguing against your standpoint, and post new information that doesn't really add much to the debate.

What are your thoughts on the last few pages?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, of course you need to say more. You can't dip in and out of the thread you started, carefully ignoring many relevant posts arguing against your standpoint, and post new information that doesn't really add much to the debate.

1) Yes I can "dip in and out"....thats the power of free speech and of course deciding whats worth replying to...or not.

2) Most of whats been said has been said thousands of times before.

The fact remains that the TV licence is unfair and out dated and funds an old idea in a new age.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Oh and I note you conveniently avoided commenting fully on my post:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) Yes I can "dip in and out"....thats the power of free speech and of course deciding whats worth replying to...or not.

The fact remains that the TV licence is unfair and out dated and funds an old idea in a new age.

Well dipping in and out will only nurture ignorance towards other peoples arguments and it also shows a distinct lack of respect and arrogance towards other FM's....

...you've missed three days worth of debate, have you read any of it? What are your thoughts?
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member

Even when the posts you ignore are ones that would catch you out by replying to them?

Because these thing that have been said a "thousand times before" are the truth?

Actually, your opinion, not fact. The only fact is that other funding methods don't provide what the beeb does - and wouldn't even try.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mikw wrote: »
    Even when the posts you ignore are ones that would catch you out by replying to them?

Because these thing that have been said a "thousand times before" are the truth?

Actually, your opinion, not fact. The only fact is that other funding methods don't provide what the beeb does - and wouldn't even try.

Its doesnt catch anyone out, its just always a difference of opinion or another way of interpretating data/trends.

Nope.

My opinion yes, but fact remains that 9.4 million people need extra choice. In my book this means the BBC are not worthy of a compulsory licence fee. Yes they may show some good programmes, but thats clearly not enough.

Other broadcasters are providing and already 9.4 million agree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh and I note you conveniently avoided commenting fully on my post:rolleyes:

I have commented fully on your post so less of the sarcastic roll-eyes, eh?

Let me reiterate; your post doesn't add much to the debate.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Its doesnt catch anyone out, its just always a difference of opinion or another way of interpretating data/trends.

Nope.

My opinion yes, but fact remains that 9.4 million people need extra choice. In my book this means the BBC are not worthy of a compulsory licence fee. Yes they may show some good programmes, but thats clearly not enough.

Other broadcasters are providing and already 9.4 million agree.

And, as has been pointed out before, contrary to your original claim, many of thes 9.4 million are not actually watching the channels they're subscribing for, prefering the non-pay channels to the pay channels.

You see, that's why people reply to your posts! Otherwise the original claim would have been left unchallenged.

As for "other broadcasters providing" what the BBC does, even you would admit that's not the truth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There's no reason why funding from general taxation can't provide PSB content - which is the whole point. It doesn't matter, or it shouldn't matter, who broadcasts the content as long as it gets made and is readily available.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And, as has been pointed out before, contrary to your original claim, many of thes 9.4 million are not actually watching the channels they're subscribing for, prefering the non-pay channels to the pay channels.

You see, that's why people reply to your posts! Otherwise the original claim would have been left unchallenged.

As for "other broadcasters providing" what the BBC does, even you would admit that's not the truth.

Perhaps, but its still FACT that more people are choosing to watch something other than the BBC:rolleyes: